The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by ramster »

It’s not abused. The twins were Run Off.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

It was mutually agreed upon for them to transfer because it's very obvious now (look at mom's tweets) that they were not happy with Turgeon and their usage, after they were about to be suspended.

Again, using your spin as a definition, if I'm not happy with a coach/role, I could go punch a teammate in the face, complain about my role, bitch about my minutes, basically be an asshole so the coach goes "Yeah, this isn't working anymore, we both need to go our separate ways," and you go "Oh, coach said I had to go, I was run-off, it was a run-off because he said we should go our separate ways. Now I can play immediately." How stupid is that?

The original interpretation of a run-off was an intentional act by a coach to open up a scholarship from a hard-working player who held up all obligations of a student-athlete and they had a coach basically giving them the finger saying "Thanks for your time but you'll have to play somewhere else."

Again for the 80th time, they should go for it. I hope they get it. But don't tell me it's a run off. It's not a run off. Not in the traditional sense. It's no different than a kid saying he needs to transfer to be closer to a sick relative, and choosing a school multiple hours away from home when there are multiple D1 programs in their backyard. It's a loophole. Running a player off has become another loophole. Just because teams may help each other out doesn't change that.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Not sure why RJ's getting so much shit here, because I think his interpretation is correct. If the Mitchell twins aren't on the verge of getting suspended, and if their mother isn't complaining about playing time, they're probably still at Maryland. Hell, Makhi *started* five games. That's way different than a guy at the edge of the bench transferring to a lower program to get more minutes. I don't think it is a matter of the Maryland coaching staff thinking "these guys can't play at this level," it is more "this isn't worth the headache."

But, you know, it's college basketball and the NCAA. If URI can get a waiver with this line of argument, they should try.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Well put SG, the situation at Maryland became a very toxic environment between the twins, their mom, coaching staff, and teammates. It appears that it was mutually agreed that it would be everyone's best interest for them to leave the program. This is much different than a player being pushed out of the program for tying up a scholarship and rarely seeing the floor. Still we all hope for URI's sake they are granted a waiver.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The NCAA sees right through these BS pleadings submitted by schools to honor their pledge to athletes to do their best to get them cleared to play without sitting a year. The schools then complain when rejected about how inconsistent the NCAA is being. It is all a charade to recruit players for the future most often done by mid-majors to compete with the big boys who are more interested "one-and-dones" than red-shirts.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Not sure why RJ's getting so much shit here, because I think his interpretation is correct. If the Mitchell twins aren't on the verge of getting suspended, and if their mother isn't complaining about playing time, they're probably still at Maryland. Hell, Makhi *started* five games. That's way different than a guy at the edge of the bench transferring to a lower program to get more minutes. I don't think it is a matter of the Maryland coaching staff thinking "these guys can't play at this level," it is more "this isn't worth the headache."

But, you know, it's college basketball and the NCAA. If URI can get a waiver with this line of argument, they should try.
"So much shit"? Really?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am not going to get worked up over these waivers. I have absolutely no control over the process and there are far more important things to worry about these days. Besides I don't think there will even be a season this year. If by some miracle play does occur, the season will be far shorter and less meaningful and would call into question whether wasting a full year of eligibility on such a season is worth it.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like the NCAA has handled Bryant's transfers before ours.

0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago The NCAA sees right through these BS pleadings submitted by schools to honor their pledge to athletes to do their best to get them cleared to play without sitting a year. The schools then complain when rejected about how inconsistent the NCAA is being. It is all a charade to recruit players for the future most often done by mid-majors to compete with the big boys who are more interested "one-and-dones" than red-shirts.
I won’t be surprised if the NCAA literally decided these waivers by picking them out of a hat. I don’t think you could say that anything is well thought out by the NCAA. They seem to be the laziest organization on the planet.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Does anyone know a site that one can go to find the result of waiver hearings.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Not sure why RJ's getting so much shit here, because I think his interpretation is correct. If the Mitchell twins aren't on the verge of getting suspended, and if their mother isn't complaining about playing time, they're probably still at Maryland. Hell, Makhi *started* five games. That's way different than a guy at the edge of the bench transferring to a lower program to get more minutes. I don't think it is a matter of the Maryland coaching staff thinking "these guys can't play at this level," it is more "this isn't worth the headache."

URI is trying.
The twins will get eligible based on being run off. Simple.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The NCAA is a well run organization that takes the heat off member schools. After all, they are an organization run by the member schools. If they were anything but doing the biding of their members, there would be changes.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Nojel Eastern former 4* guard (6'7'") transfer from Purdue who originally committed to Michigan now confirmed going to Howard. This school is gaining steam in bringing in top talent and elevating their basketball program, will start turning heads in the NCAA.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When are we expected to get updates on the waivers?
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago When are we expected to get updates on the waivers?
Last year, the decisions on Walker and Sheppard were publicized on Nov. 1. So... Anytime between now and then, I imagine.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago When are we expected to get updates on the waivers?
Last year, the decisions on Walker and Sheppard were publicized on Nov. 1. So... Anytime between now and then, I imagine.
Soon.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI can continue to submit waiver requests until they are blue in the face or the NCAA agrees with their request. The NCAA agreed with Bryant's request, they haven't agreed with any request URI has submitted, have probably told them why and URI is continuing to argue their case by refuting the NCAA's response. The NCAA will quickly grant waiver requests that have been proven to be legitimate.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

So basically you are saying that the NCAA has completed every waiver request by every school and has notified them as well.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 defending the NCAA as entirely competent and sensible is the natural culmination of a decades long posting career in which he has made contrarianism an art form. He is the Van Gogh of insane takes.

ETA: to be clear - literally nothing in his post is correct or true, or displays any kind understanding about the process or how it works or the experiences that every school in the country has had in dealing with it.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Rhody72 defending the NCAA as entirely competent and sensible is the natural culmination of a decades long posting career in which he has made contrarianism an art form. He is the Van Gogh of insane takes.

ETA: to be clear - literally nothing in his post is correct or true, or displays any kind understanding about the process or how it works or the experiences that every school in the country has had in dealing with it.
But other than that you're saying Rhody 72 is spot on, right? 😃
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I do not consider myself a contrarian, I call people and events for what they are in order to present reality on this board. I am a very long time URI fan and route for them to succeed in every venue, every time. I challenge those who call me a contrarian to find a contrarian take on Jeff or Cyril any time in the last four years. For the URI basketball program to improve long-term, we must face reality about what is holding it back.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am 100% behind calling it as you see it and telling hard truths. A lot of time when a person does that, they get pushback. I’m sympathetic to that because I feel like I’ve said enough unpopular things here that I’ve nonetheless believed were true and needed to be said that I understand. I’m not here to carry water for anyone, but part of calling it like I see it is attempting clarify what I view as unsubstantiated bad takes and disinformation.

The arbitrariness and opaqueness of the NCAA’s decision making process with respect to transfers has been well documented for years. It definitely not just a URI issue, either; this is something that has been an issue for schools all over the country in basketball and football and goes back about a decade. The lack of consistency and clarity on the part of the NCAA has been such a bane to coaches all over the country that it has become one of the issues that is threatening the relationship between the NCAA and its members schools. So the idea that you’d come here and say essentially that URI is doing something untoward or silly by submitting these waiver applications and that the NCAA would never act in a way other than reasonably and rationally, and therefore fans are being babies with their frustration at the process just reveals a complete lack of understanding about how the process has actually worked up to this point, an ignorance of how widespread and well known of an issue it is, and a naivety about the NCAA’s competence and its integrity on these matters.

Seeing you jump into these types of discussions to be condescendingly super wrong reminds of a dude at a bar that jumps into a conversation other people are having, thinking he’s going to solve it with his expertise - meanwhile he doesn’t even know enough about the topic to realize the other guys know much more about it than he does.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Rhody72 defending the NCAA as entirely competent and sensible is the natural culmination of a decades long posting career in which he has made contrarianism an art form. He is the Van Gogh of insane takes.

But, other than that, it's spot on?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
If the NCAA wants to speed it up, they should just direct their follow up questions to certain members of this board, who are avid tweet readers and therefore have all of the information that could possibly be in our players’ waiver requests.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Anthony Nelson just got granted a waiver, transferred from Seton Hall to Manhattan. He started 2 games last year and played in 27, his freshman year (2018) he was 2nd on the team with assists. In 2018 he was considered a key recruit for coach Willard and he played at the South Kent school. Many on the Seton Hall forum felt that if he got a waiver , anyone should. I doubt he was run-off and Seton Hall is only a half hour from NYC where he is from, so it shouldn't of been a location factor. Maybe the NCAA is being extra generous this year.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

If the twins got granted a waiver I think it is highly likely jalen Carey receives one too.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

YOUGE
0 x
GO RAMS
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

What about Carey and Martin?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

BOOM!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Wait I thought URI was morally reprehensible for submitting frivolous waiver requests. As usual, the NCAA is entirely unpredictable and seemingly random in these matters - this time at least in our favor.

I still say that if we are headed to a system where everyone transfers without penalty anyways, and considering the weird Covid circumstances, everyone within any sort of reason should get a waiver this year. Which makes it kind of strange that there’s no word yet on the other guys. You’d think if they were just rubber stamping these (as they should be doing) there’s no reason to trickle them out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome news !! I do think lots of the waivers will get granted waivers this year due to the pandemic
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Two down and two to go.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

While this is certainly good news, I am not at this time overly excited given we do not even know if there will be a season this year (shortened or full).
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

My guess is Carey - yes and Martin - no.

Great news on the twins. Really psyched for this season. Hoping we find a vaccine before October and no one has anything to worry about.

How bout that for Monday optimism?!?!
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I wonder of the rules have changed or are being interpreted differently?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago My guess is Carey - yes and Martin - no.

Great news on the twins. Really psyched for this season. Hoping we find a vaccine before October and no one has anything to worry about.

How bout that for Monday optimism?!?!
Carey - yes
Malik Martin - yes
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Hassan was living in Newport RI. Malik transferred to be closer to his brother....waiver approved...in my opinion
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Hassan was living in Newport RI. Malik transferred to be closer to his brother....waiver approved...in my opinion
Or even his family in Staten Island.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Hassan was living in Newport RI. Malik transferred to be closer to his brother....waiver approved...in my opinion
Doesn’t Hassan play overseas? They’re going to grant a waiver for Malik to hang out in Newport for the summer??
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Things come up.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Are the European leagues playing?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

THERE BETTER BE A FRIGGEN SEASON
4 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Intercollegiate athletics is a fraud. Participating schools should lose their tax exempt status. Student athlete is an oxymoron at D1 schools. This is all on the D1 schools. I want college sport competition for those who want a college education first.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Intercollegiate athletics is a fraud. Participating schools should lose their tax exempt status. Student athlete is an oxymoron at D1 schools. This is all on the D1 schools. I want college sport competition for those who want a college education first.
That ship sailed a long time ago. If that’s what you want follow D-III basketball.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You also want us to run the picket fence
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Intercollegiate athletics is a fraud. Participating schools should lose their tax exempt status. Student athlete is an oxymoron at D1 schools. This is all on the D1 schools. I want college sport competition for those who want a college education first.
Are you this negative about everything?
0 x