General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by ramster »

There has Been no mention that we are involved.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This is the type of player that every great team needs coming off the bench. He would help us in the A10.
This may be another T Thompson discussion, though.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Several basketball recruiting sites have stated that Detroit getting TT was a steal and he could be a difference maker in the Horizon League. It has been mentioned on this board that we have a backup plan in case the twins aren't eligible, yet we have seen mention of us
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sorry I got cut off. There has been no mention of us involved with any bigs outside of our connection with Valdir Manuel who had us in his final 3 before committing to Penn State.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow surprised we are not in the mix with PP, he would be perfect if we don’t get a waiver for the twins
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It's a tough sales pitch to these kids. Who's going to want to come here strictly as an insurance policy for the twins?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unless of course it is felt that the likelihood of the twins being granted a waiver is extremely slim. Beside that I am not sure PP would even settle transferring to a program where he would only be a role player coming off the bench. I am sure he is looking for significant or starter minutes in a more upscale conference than the MAAC. I did read that although he was a starter and had good stats his minutes were limited because of constant foul trouble.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Several basketball recruiting sites have stated that Detroit getting TT was a steal and he could be a difference maker in the Horizon League. It has been mentioned on this board that we have a backup plan in case the twins aren't eligible, yet we have seen mention of us
Do you really think our staff isn't prepared for the twins being ineligible? Have a little bit of faith and patience.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Okay, let's just wait and see how it plays out, I do have confidence in our staff.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I really like PP video he has great shot blocking skills and swatted Harris twice
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Twinsurance!
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Grasso's gonna be moving up in the ranks sooner rather than later (although I'm pretty sure this dude is *not* "the next Larry Bird"...).

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Just because it is extremely quiet on speculation about our open scholarship this year, this is my wish list on immediate eligible for this season (if we have one, in no particular order): Yor Anei (OK State), Valdir Manuel (Harcum), Pauley Paulicap (Manhattan). There are several bigs still available for the freshman class but their status is unclear.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

2021 PF Gianni Thompson (6'8") from Mass Rivals and heavily recruited by PC along with a host of others just committed to Boston College.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago 2021 PF Gianni Thompson (6'8") from Mass Rivals and heavily recruited by PC along with a host of others just committed to Boston College.
I’m wondering if recruits are more likely to stick closer to home nowadays.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

From a selfish standpoint......I believe the summer circuit will be either very small or non-existent....so these kids will not be able to "blow up" after we offer them and they open eyes on the circuit....only for us to lose them to the brighter lights....

.....our staff has been pretty good about identifying talent early....only to get swooped in on.....maybe that doesn't happen this recruiting cycle....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago From a selfish standpoint......I believe the summer circuit will be either very small or non-existent....so these kids will not be able to "blow up" after we offer them and they open eyes on the circuit....only for us to lose them to the brighter lights....

.....our staff has been pretty good about identifying talent early....only to get swooped in on.....maybe that doesn't happen this recruiting cycle....
From an equally selfish standpoint ... if the season is cancelled (a 50/50 proposition IMO) we are in awesome shape for 21/22. Does Fatts stay or does he go?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I believe he will be gone if no season this year
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyblue12
ARD

I sense a name change coming: DePauly DePaulicap
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yor Anei (OK State) one of the few remaining quality big transfers, committed late yesterday to SMU.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rhode Island: Dave Cox lost Tyrese Martin to UConn but bounced back with a number of potential impact players. Jalen Carey (Syracuse), Makhi Mitchell (Maryland) and Makhel Mitchell (Maryland) all had varying levels of hype coming out of high school but failed to live up to it at their previous stops. Charlotte transfer Malik Martin and Towson transfer Allen Betrand are two sit-out transfers who were productive last season.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

It’s interesting that this article refers to Malik and Bertrand as sit out players, but Carey and the Mitchell twins as potential impact players. Maybe other people think they have a good shot at getting a waiver.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'm not a fan of the new transfer rule either but I think Jon is overreacting here. This is one kid and one instance, and we don't know the story behind why he's leaving. Using one single example out of the 700+ that happen every year isn't the best way to argue.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago I'm not a fan of the new transfer rule either but I think Jon is overreacting here. This is one kid and one instance, and we don't know the story behind why he's leaving. Using one single example out of the 700+ that happen every year isn't the best way to argue.
True. In addition, the kid doesn't even know if the rule is going to pass or not.

Rothstein also doesn't know if the kid would have transferred even if the transfer rule was already in place. The kid might have transferred and sat out a year regardless.
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

At the end of the day if you were at URI for two years and you or your child had the opportunity to go to Harvard what would you do??
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Or if you were working for a company and had the potential for better offer from somewhere else you would pursue it!! Why is college athletics any different and why is it look down upon, I don't get it!!
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago Or if you were working for a company and had the potential for better offer from somewhere else you would pursue it!! Why is college athletics any different and why is it look down upon, I don't get it!!
I think you're taking it as a moral argument. He's not saying it's wrong. He's acknowledging the impact it will have on college basketball particularly in low and mid-major conferences.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think it will be a wash - guys who are good at the lower conferences are just as good as the guys who will leave the big conference teams due to no PT. In many cases the big conference players will be better just never got a opportunity to shine.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago At the end of the day if you were at URI for two years and you or your child had the opportunity to go to Harvard what would you do??
Rhody all day. Rumor is it’s on its way to becoming the Harvard of the East. ...more or less. ;)
1 x
- Mr. Rogers
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Don’t see McLeod or Ogundele listed in the ‘new faces’ category for FSU or Iowa. They slated to play this year?
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Naheem McLeod is a 2021 FSU commit, at Chipola JUCO this winter.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Don’t see McLeod or Ogundele listed in the ‘new faces’ category for FSU or Iowa. They slated to play this year?
Yes for Ogundele.....

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

While I love the signing, I'm hoping it is not because we got bad news on the waivers.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I think our last scholarship would have gone to a big who could help immediately if the waivers were denied.

Instead we took a kid who may be DJ Johnson 2.0....similar skill set and willing to sit a year and get stronger

No inside info....just spit-ballin
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyblue12
ARD

Let's hope he will be Ulmer 2.0. He looks stronger than DJ was when he first came here.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, UCONN is killing it for 2021 recruiting, they will be a force in the Big East.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Yes, UCONN is killing it for 2021 recruiting, they will be a force in the Big East.
Where does this leave Tyrese?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Tyrese is a baller, should get plenty of minutes. There will be great competition at all positions, team depth will make everyone better.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Danny Hurley the master rebuilder of programs getting it done again
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Tyrese is a baller, should get plenty of minutes. There will be great competition at all positions, team depth will make everyone better.
I don’t see Tyrese getting plenty of minutes. Top 50 recruit for ‘20 and ‘21 play his position. Hurley will play top recruits.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Hurley will play whoever fits best in his system regardless of how many stars they had in high school. Some prep players who are highly rated disappoint at the next level and some under the radar recruits will exceed in college. Hurley wouldn't of brought Tyrese in if he didn't feel he would be a contributor and Tyrese didn't transfer just to take up bench space. Time will tell, I am more concerned about how our team will perform and who will be eligible.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I am sure competition will bring out the best in these kids and DH will play the guys that deserve the minutes
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Martin and Toppin would have been better off if they stayed at Rhody....in my opinion...they would have been the focal points of the team...
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sometimes players get blinded by the bright lights of these higher profile programs. They feel this move is their best chance to play at the next level, sometimes it works out to their benefit, many times it doesn't. I wish they had stayed, aside from basketball, URI is a great place to go to school.
1 x