Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Obadiah »

Playing only conference games for URI makes only a small impact since it eliminates only one long travel game to NIU and the bus trip to Bryant. The home date vs. Brown is is already cancelled.

Unlike the P5, the Ivies are not guided by the almighty dollar. URI is in the gray area, but closer to the Ivies than the P5 . It's a tough call, but I think for 2020, URI football is not going to happen. Right now the news is trending in that direction.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I’d be very surprised if football happens and basketball doesn’t look good either. I have not renewed my Hoops season tickets yet as I wanted to see how things played out. No one from the ticket department has touched base with me. The writing is on the wall.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Your season tickets $ is fully refundable or you can apply it to next season.

Full policy here:
https://www.gorhody.com/tickets/Season_ ... y_Covid-19
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Nine University Of Maryland Student-Athletes, Staff Test Positive For COVID-19; Voluntary Football Workouts Suspended
July 11, 2020 at 9:10 pm

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/07/ ... suspended/
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Realistically, there was never going to be a scenario when no one test positive. It was always expected because you can’t stop everyone from being infected all the time. You take it case to case, continue the precautions and move on.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Realistically, there was never going to be a scenario when no one test positive. It was always expected because you can’t stop everyone from being infected all the time. You take it case to case, continue the precautions and move on.
You realize that we've passed 70,000 infections per day and heading towards 100,000 per day. The country shut down when we were getting 20,000 per day. Already a couple of places have gone back to 'stay at home' orders. Eventually, it will work it's way back up here. There's no stopping it now. It's out of control. Too late to wear a mask for the first time after making fun of people wearing masks for the last 4 months. None of these sports that are about to begin will finish their seasons. Football will never start. Not enough followed guidelines, so this is where we're at. Hopefully there's a vaccine in the next 8 months or so. That's our hope to get back to seeing sports next year.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Realistically, there was never going to be a scenario when no one test positive. It was always expected because you can’t stop everyone from being infected all the time. You take it case to case, continue the precautions and move on.
You realize that we've passed 70,000 infections per day and heading towards 100,000 per day. The country shut down when we were getting 20,000 per day. Already a couple of places have gone back to 'stay at home' orders. Eventually, it will work it's way back up here. There's no stopping it now. It's out of control. Too late to wear a mask for the first time after making fun of people wearing masks for the last 4 months. None of these sports that are about to begin will finish their seasons. Football will never start. Not enough followed guidelines, so this is where we're at. Hopefully there's a vaccine in the next 8 months or so. That's our hope to get back to seeing sports next year.
Please stop with the “not enough followed guidelines” crap - the virus is going to spread no matter what you do when you have a lot of indoor activity. “But it’s summer, people are outside”.

I am not shocked that it is spreading in warm weather states in the summer - guess what, people aren’t outside in Florida in the summer because it is gross out. They won’t have the death rates that we had in the northeast because they are protecting the nursing homes (the place where 65% of the deaths are occurring). This will be back in the northeast when it gets cold, and most people will be fine.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Please stop with the “not enough followed guidelines” crap - the virus is going to spread no matter what you do when you have a lot of indoor activity. “But it’s summer, people are outside”.

I am not shocked that it is spreading in warm weather states in the summer - guess what, people aren’t outside in Florida in the summer because it is gross out. They won’t have the death rates that we had in the northeast because they are protecting the nursing homes (the place where 65% of the deaths are occurring). This will be back in the northeast when it gets cold, and most people will be fine.
To bring it back specifically to the subject thread name, regardless of your own personal belief regarding Covid (which seemingly runs the gamut from it’s just a flu to we have to shut everything back down nationwide), I believe no college administrators will want to keep playing once a certain number of players test positive. I don’t know what that percentage is, but there will be pressure to shut things down when it is reached. These administrators will not want to be blamed for some sick kids (they won’t all just bounce back like it never happened), plus the fact that these kids can spread the virus to friends and family. I also believe parents will pressure the administrators to shut things down when a certain percentage of players test positive.
I don’t see college sports starting up in the fall. If they do, I believe they won’t finish. I’m concerned that basketball won’t start up either.
We’ll know a lot more on a month, after MLB, the NBA and NHL start up.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How come the countries that followed guidelines, specifically the European countries that were once in horrendous shape, are doing great now?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And 'most will be fine'. My wife, who is 58, works in a classroom and has had non-hodgkin's lymphoma, will not be fine. When she brings it home to me, 63 years old, I will not be fine.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Given no significantly changes counter to the current circumstances, I do not see Alabama opening its home season on September 12 before a packed 101,000 seat Bryant-Denny stadium. And if P5 doesn't make it, certainly the CAA won't either.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Just as millions of soldiers in multiple armies found it logical to climb out of relatively safe holes and charge machine guns for 5 years with zero success the human race is sadly once again proving to me that it is lacking in overall intelligence....

No reason not to expect 101k peeps to risk spreading a virus so they can watch their beloved tide.

Personally I’m not very bright either but I’m fortunate enough to pretty much stay in Gina phase 1

B safe Rhody Ram fan friends!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Sadly as it relates to the effects on CBB, I don't think there will be enough consistency, with the inevitable forfeitures that will occur, to complete meaningful schedules.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Given no significantly changes counter to the current circumstances, I do not see Alabama opening its home season on September 12 before a packed 101,000 seat Bryant-Denny stadium. And if P5 doesn't make it, certainly the CAA won't either.
Having any fans at sporting events would be insane right now. Many of us would like this to happen, including me, but not under the current conditions. Fans are an important part of the games, but not essential.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The SEC will decide this week whether or not to play only conference games or a full schedule.

Their goal is to play.

If the P5 football teams can't make it happen then we won't see any sports for a while, because that will likely mean that we will need a vaccine before taking any chances.

The collateral damage done in that scenario is really unquantifiable and if sports is done then so are most forms of entertainment.

However, I dont see why they can't play the games without fans. I dont think it will make much of a difference to whether or not they actually get the virus. As, if you follow any of our guys on Instagram, you will know that many of them have been seeing friends and family throughout quarantine and that likely won't stop if there are no fall and winter sports. Dare I argue that they would be safer in the facilities at their schools where they are protected and monitored almost on a daily basis in a defense against the virus.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Playing with fans gathered in stands should not happen at this point, imo. Playing games for live video consumption on the other hand would go a long way in helping me feel a little more normal. As one of my dearest relatives told me when she was explaining why she watched every Red Sox baseball game whether the team was good or bad, "they are my friends, they might not always do what I want them to, but they're always there when I need them."
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Let's just take one player as an example. Nate Solder and his young son have both had cancer. I believe his son is still battling it. Nate plays left tackle in the NFL. On every play, there is another man inches from his face, most likely breathing heavily and snorting before the play even starts. How can Nate take a chance playing football, knowing that he has a high risk young boy at home. Someone please tell me how that's going to work?
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Let's just take one player as an example. Nate Solder and his young son have both had cancer. I believe his son is still battling it. Nate plays left tackle in the NFL. On every play, there is another man inches from his face, most likely breathing heavily and snorting before the play even starts. How can Nate take a chance playing football, knowing that he has a high risk young boy at home. Someone please tell me how that's going to work?
I suppose if he does not want to take the risk he could retire he has already made a fortune playing football. There are probably people willing to take the risk to replace him for the millions of dollars in compensation available to professional athletes. Compared to this time last year the earth is more dangerous with one more potential cause of death. If we stop everyone from making a livelihood we are screwed and need to strike a balance. Having a particular job is a voluntary thing. Nobody is forced to be a professional athlete, professor, doctor, nurse, or grocery store employee. People need to find a vocation they are comfortable with. If we all stopped being productive we would have mass starvation globally before long. I am willing to take precautions to help stop the spread of COVID including trying really hard not to catch it. Let the NFL figure things out. Central planning on how to reopen everything is not the way to go. I do not think a small group of government employees and politicians with their own conflicts of interest are going to come up with better solutions than society as a whole coming up with solutions.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Let's just take one player as an example. Nate Solder and his young son have both had cancer. I believe his son is still battling it. Nate plays left tackle in the NFL. On every play, there is another man inches from his face, most likely breathing heavily and snorting before the play even starts. How can Nate take a chance playing football, knowing that he has a high risk young boy at home. Someone please tell me how that's going to work?
I suppose if he does not want to take the risk he could retire he has already made a fortune playing football. There are probably people willing to take the risk to replace him for the millions of dollars in compensation available to professional athletes. Compared to this time last year the earth is more dangerous with one more potential cause of death. If we stop everyone from making a livelihood we are screwed and need to strike a balance. Having a particular job is a voluntary thing. Nobody is forced to be a professional athlete, professor, doctor, nurse, or grocery store employee. People need to find a vocation they are comfortable with. If we all stopped being productive we would have mass starvation globally before long. I am willing to take precautions to help stop the spread of COVID including trying really hard not to catch it. Let the NFL figure things out. Central planning on how to reopen everything is not the way to go. I do not think a small group of government employees and politicians with their own conflicts of interest are going to come up with better solutions than society as a whole coming up with solutions.
Yeah, it only works in literally every other country with competent leadership. Do you people all live in a US only bubble? My team in Copenhagen has been back in the office for over a month and I have to hear it every time I talk to them. “What the hell are you guys doing over there?”

Also, as a Giants season ticket holder, the team already let us skip buying tickets this year with no penalty despite our PSLs.
5 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This New York Times article is a good representation of current thinking on the 2020 football season. By end of month the outlook will be clearer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/10/spor ... celed.html
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

TV revenue is the lifeblood of P5 football schools....which trickles down to all sports in those schools
Those schools need to play to TV....FCS schools like Rhody don’t make much money from television...so it is evident that football at that level is a money loser...even the best of times.

The P5 schools are gonna try to play whatever the cost...in my opinion
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Patriot League just canceled fall sports:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... all-sports
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

My nephew, his GF, his best friend, and 7 other 'friends' all got it this past week here in Arizona. All because they are young and were going stir-crazy.

Two of them are hospitalized as I write this. Thankfully it isn't my nephew, his GF, or his best friend.

I was made fun of by some of my family for isolating as much as I have. They aren't making fun of me anymore.

God bless my mom who has to care for dad who has Alzheimer's. She has been taking care of him alone and will not let anyone see them as it would be the end if either of them got it. He cannot take care of her and she wouldn't be able to take care of him.

Stay safe everyone. Sports can wait. Fatts you will have your day, if not this year, in 2021 or beyond. Stay strong.
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My sister is on Colorado and cancelled plans to return to AZ because of the outbreak. Stay safe Dan!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Many non-conference football games are buy games for the P5 schools, with a few exceptions....

The cynic in me says these big time teams do not want to pay the guarantee to the bought teams.....with revenue down and attendance likely to be drastically curtailed....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What happens in other states affects Rhode Island. We are in this together and the signs are everywhere the situation is getting worse. The latest incident at Brickley's where people cannot follow simple restrictions does not bode well for RI.

BTW, in today's New York Times, RI is now listed as the only state in New England where Covid cases are increasing. Mass, VT and CT are considered as the same, with NH and Maine listed as the only two states on the decline.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Have to point out the good news as well. NYC Washington DC as well as other major cities all reported their first days with no deaths in months. MANY of the cases are mild. Vaccines are entering phase 3. RI still looking great.
1 x
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Many non-conference football games are buy games for the P5 schools, with a few exceptions....

The cynic in me says these big time teams do not want to pay the guarantee to the bought teams.....with revenue down and attendance likely to be drastically curtailed....
I agree with your cynical side - programs will look like they are being cautious and save money. It is a win-win.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Have to point out the good news as well. NYC Washington DC as well as other major cities all reported their first days with no deaths in months. MANY of the cases are mild. Vaccines are entering phase 3. RI still looking great.
RI has been great, leading the US in Testing.

Some concern for the last week as many out of staters come to R.I. for vacation. Graph starting to tip the wrong way.
4A5A349B-4670-4355-9672-9292A24957EF.png
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Have to point out the good news as well. NYC Washington DC as well as other major cities all reported their first days with no deaths in months. MANY of the cases are mild. Vaccines are entering phase 3. RI still looking great.
RI has been great, leading the US in Testing.

Some concern for the last week as many out of staters come to R.I. for vacation. Graph starting to tip the wrong way.

4A5A349B-4670-4355-9672-9292A24957EF.png
Could the recent uptick be attributed to the holiday weekend and the many gatherings?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It is unfortunate that with all the cell phone cameras out there, people don't take photos of mask wearing offenders and post them on facebook so they can be identified and publicly ridiculed. Make them an embarrassment to employers, parents, grandparents etc. Make their life miserable.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It is unfortunate that with all the cell phone cameras out there, people don't take photos of mask wearing offenders and post them on facebook so they can be identified and publicly ridiculed. Make them an embarrassment to employers, parents, grandparents etc. Make their life miserable.
For the most part people who are not wearing masks generally don’t care if they are being ridiculed- some invite it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It is unfortunate that with all the cell phone cameras out there, people don't take photos of mask wearing offenders and post them on facebook so they can be identified and publicly ridiculed. Make them an embarrassment to employers, parents, grandparents etc. Make their life miserable.
You are a miserable bastard. Mind your own business.
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Dude...wtf....? What drives a person to want to make another person's life miserable...on purpose?
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well it appears the perps who got Brickleys to shut down got their pics posted on the SK Facebook page. Including pic of a motorcycle license plate from CT.

We’ll see how long the pics stay posted. A poster is claiming to have and will post video. Acting bad in public is not a great idea with smart phones everywhere.

I really like Ice cream...
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Well it appears the perps who got Brickleys to shut down got their pics posted on the SK Facebook page. Including pic of a motorcycle license plate from CT.

We’ll see how long the pics stay posted. A poster is claiming to have and will post video. Acting bad in public is not a great idea with smart phones everywhere.

Here's the Ice Cream Tough Guy:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/212577585 ... 9883301262
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

He looked exactly like what I was expecting, just needs a certain hat to complete the look.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Hes being a jackass, but I agree, I can't stand the constant video capturing of these people like they're Public Enemy #1. Theres a lot worse people out there causing actual problems like looting and stealing and vandalizing, murder ect. We are just hyper focused on the mask ordeal.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Hes being a jackass, but I agree, I can't stand the constant video capturing of these people like they're Public Enemy #1. Theres a lot worse people out there causing actual problems like looting and stealing and vandalizing, murder ect. We are just hyper focused on the mask ordeal.
This idiot shouted profanities at high school workers who were simply trying to do their job, then acted aggressively toward customers at a family-oriented business. Subsequently the owner -- tired of repeatedly dealing with self-absorbed jerks incapable of behaving responsibly in the midst of a pandemic -- decided it was in his employees' best interest to close his store for the season.

This biker moron deserves to have his identity revealed. If you're gonna act like an ass, you should face the consequences.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Well it appears the perps who got Brickleys to shut down got their pics posted on the SK Facebook page. Including pic of a motorcycle license plate from CT.

Here's the Ice Cream Tough Guy:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/212577585 ... 9883301262
Did I see a shop named after Manute Bol?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Hes being a jackass, but I agree, I can't stand the constant video capturing of these people like they're Public Enemy #1. Theres a lot worse people out there causing actual problems like looting and stealing and vandalizing, murder ect. We are just hyper focused on the mask ordeal.
Didn’t it used to be illegal to take someone’s picture and video them without their permission?

I don’t go for the videoing and posting either. My guess is the guy was out of hand and wrong, but we don’t see what led up to the unruly behavior on the filming - no full story.

I’m for innocent until proven guilty. I’d like to see the guy take the phone from the By-standing person filming him without his permission and stomp on it.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago
For the most part people who are not wearing masks generally don’t care if they are being ridiculed- some invite it.
I have to agreed with Rhody72 on this one. In Jane Jacobs' landmark books on the Rise of Cities, she remarked that greatest asset to cities on safety and policing is a pair of eyes, many pairs of eyes. This prescient observation has been augmented in today's world by the power of the smartphone with its video and audio capabilities to capture all kinds of bad behavior. Its only through the checks provided by eyes and electronics that encourage people to engage in voluntary beneficial behavior that defines a nation's "culture".
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
This idiot shouted profanities at high school workers who were simply trying to do their job, then acted aggressively toward customers at a family-oriented business. Subsequently the owner -- tired of repeatedly dealing with self-absorbed jerks incapable of behaving responsibly in the midst of a pandemic -- decided it was in his employees' best interest to close his store for the season.

This biker moron deserves to have his identity revealed. If you're gonna act like an ass, you should face the consequences.
Two things I teach my PR clients:
— If you do something in public, you have no expectation of privacy.
— When in public, act as if anything you do will wind up being seen all over the world, because technology can make that a reality as quickly as you can say mother——————.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

If it weren't for smartphones George Floyd would have died without anyone knowing that he was murdered by a policeman.
5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Didn’t it used to be illegal to take someone’s picture and video them without their permission?

I don’t go for the videoing and posting either. My guess is the guy was out of hand and wrong, but we don’t see what led up to the unruly behavior on the filming - no full story.

I’m for innocent until proven guilty. I’d like to see the guy take the phone from the By-standing person filming him without his permission and stomp on it.
1) It's a public place, so you don't have an expectation of privacy. 2) Beyond that, RI is a one-party state when it comes to recording permission, so the bar to clear for "invasion of privacy" and what not is higher. You can do things like tape phone conversations you're an active party in, as opposed to other states.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

1) It's a public place, so you don't have an expectation of privacy. 2) Beyond that, RI is a one-party state when it comes to recording permission, so the bar to clear for "invasion of privacy" and what not is higher. You can do things like tape phone conversations you're an active party in, as opposed to other states.
That is correct. You can have a conversation with somebody and you can record the conversation without letting the other person know you are recording them. Is that fair? Is it legal? In Rhode Island it is.

Here is the law in all 50 states. 11 states require that all parties to a conversation must agree.

These are the 11 states:
All-Party Consent
Eleven (11) states require the consent of everybody involved in a conversation or phone call before the conversation can be recorded. Those states are: California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. These laws are sometimes referred to as “two-party” consent laws but, technically, require that all parties to a conversation must give consent before the conversation can be recorded.

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uplo ... -CHART.pdf
0 x