Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by Rhody15 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago I have an Ideal as well. Once someone transfers out delete every trace that they ever existed.
They are gone, they are not going to help us any more and they are not walking back through
the locker room door again. F@#$ them. Forget the woulda, shoulda couldas
and move the F@#$ ON. If your some a sentimental sort or some masochist
who needs to opine on what might have been, do it on your time and keep the self torment
to yourself. That will solve all of the "negative posting" issues for guys who transfer out
because there wont be any posts to offend anybody.
hahahaha sour grapes much?? Jesus dude chill out, what are you exactly trying to prove?

But yea lets keep recruiting threads from years ago and keep posting in them for no legitimate reason whatsoever.

People posting in McLeod thread, Anthony Walker thread, and multiple other threads when they still have ZERO connection to the program years after we recruited them.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

There should probably be a separate thread, about threads that discuss which threads should be allowed to live and which ones should be croaked.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Now he’s just somebody that we used to know
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Now he’s just somebody that we used to know - Perfect
LMAO

Now and then I think about the time you screwed me over
But had me believing it was always something that I'd done....

Waah . I only got 18 mins a game, I only got 10 shots … I should be starting ….Waah
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

He didn't start in Prep school and got a scholarship to URI.
He didn't start at URI and got a scholarship to Kentucky.
If he doesn't start at Kentucky, then he is a lock for the NBA.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago He didn't start in Prep school and got a scholarship to URI.
He didn't start at URI and got a scholarship to Kentucky.
If he doesn't start at Kentucky, then he is a lock for the NBA.
Math checks out. 👌🏼

Last time I’m posting on this thread and I’ll leave you with this . I hate toppin now, if you’re not a ram, you’re not in my fam(ily) and I’m no longer a fan.

I do however believe this thread does have both its pros and cons but should be kept open
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

In Kentucky's defense though, this article doesn't say they broke any NCAA rules.

Schools contact recruits / transfers directly all the time, in this case the player wanted the contact to go thru his mentor. To each is own, nothing wrong with that. But Kentucky didn't actually break any rules in this instance.

Lastly, big time programs show up late in recruitment all the time, and more often than not, get their guy. We've seen it with our recruits over the years, a kid holds out for a certain school to offer, they offer late, and boom a commitment follows.
0 x
Go Rhody
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The direct is $$$$ not direct communication. This is something will Wade is on tape discussing - that a cash offer was too focused on handler/mom and not the kid.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 21-2021-22

Toppin doesn't even make the "Next in Line" section of best sit out transfers...
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plans to sit out this season....

Then, there is Rhode Island transfer Jacob Toppin, who is planning to sit out the 2020-21 season, a source Toppin, who committed to and signed with Kentucky in April, would also need a waiver from the NCAA but unlike Sarr, wouldn't have much of a case even if UK applied for one. The NCAA had flirted with the idea of a one-time transfer waiver but have tabled that discussion until January of 2021.
Should he sit out this season, Toppin would become the Wildcats' first traditional transfer since NC State point guard Ryan Harrow during its national championship season in 2011-12. UK has added a grad transfer in each of the past three seasons: Stanford's Reid Travis in 2018, Bucknell's Nate Sestina in 2019 and Creighton's Mintz in 2020.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 21-season/
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I hope he does not fade into obscurity down there. He had so much promise.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I know this is old news at this point, but it’s just so unbelievably weird. Like, even if Jacob thought he was as good as Obi and bound for the lottery - which he almost certainly isn’t - didn’t he just watch his brother become a likely top-3 pick from an A10 school? Didn’t that provide the most clear possible evidence that you don’t need to jeopardize your career by risking getting buried at Kentucky to get to that position? In other words, his ceiling is literally the same at Kentucky or URI, but if you end up even slightly less good than your ceiling you risk never seeing the floor again and your college career being effectively over. If he’s a second-round type of talent at Kentucky he could be an 8 minutes a game bench guy. Just seems like a catastrophic failure of logic and sense.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago I know this is old news at this point, but it’s just so unbelievably weird. Like, even if Jacob thought he was as good as Obi and bound for the lottery - which he almost certainly isn’t - didn’t he just watch his brother become a likely top-3 pick from an A10 school? Didn’t that provide the most clear possible evidence that you don’t need to jeopardize your career by risking getting buried at Kentucky to get to that position? In other words, his ceiling is literally the same at Kentucky or URI, but if you end up even slightly less good than your ceiling you risk never seeing the floor again and your college career being effectively over. If he’s a second-round type of talent at Kentucky he could be an 8 minutes a game bench guy. Just seems like a catastrophic failure of logic and sense.
This is what I initially thought as well - however I am coming around to the idea that if he gets 15 mins a game at Kentucky he will likely be drafted in the second round. If he is first team all A10 (which he wouldn't be unless there is a massive improvement in his game) he still may not get drafted, particularly if Obi struggles in the NBA. Which is the easier path? 15 mins a game at Kentucky or A10 POY.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago I know this is old news at this point, but it’s just so unbelievably weird. Like, even if Jacob thought he was as good as Obi and bound for the lottery - which he almost certainly isn’t - didn’t he just watch his brother become a likely top-3 pick from an A10 school? Didn’t that provide the most clear possible evidence that you don’t need to jeopardize your career by risking getting buried at Kentucky to get to that position? In other words, his ceiling is literally the same at Kentucky or URI, but if you end up even slightly less good than your ceiling you risk never seeing the floor again and your college career being effectively over. If he’s a second-round type of talent at Kentucky he could be an 8 minutes a game bench guy. Just seems like a catastrophic failure of logic and sense.
Who knows what sweet nothings John Calipitino was whispering in his ear? Not that Kentucky would ever do anything the least bit untoward -- heavens, no!
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought he transferred because he thought the coaching staff at Kentucky could develop him better than our coaching staff?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
This is what I initially thought as well - however I am coming around to the idea that if he gets 15 mins a game at Kentucky he will likely be drafted in the second round. If he is first team all A10 (which he wouldn't be unless there is a massive improvement in his game) he still may not get drafted, particularly if Obi struggles in the NBA. Which is the easier path? 15 mins a game at Kentucky or A10 POY.
Totally agree TP.

Let me give you names of recent players drafted from Kentucky... Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro, PJ Washigton, Diallo, Jarred Vanderbilt, Gilgeous-Alexander, Kevin Knox, Bam Adebayo, Malik Monk, De'Aaron Fox... This is the type of talent they land EVERY SINGLE YEAR..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NBA scouts and teams don't really give a crap about the awards you accumulate - they're looking at your production, your scouting tape and your athletic measureables. Like, the list of A-10 Players of the Year are full of guys who didn't sniff the NBA. There aren't many Jordan-type executives left who scout by watching the NCAA tournament. Obi Toppin could have played at Southern Utah and scouts would have still found him. Jacob Toppin will need a radical jump in his production to get NBA attention, regardless of what school he's at.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
NBA scouts and teams don't really give a crap about the awards you accumulate - they're looking at your production, your scouting tape and your athletic measureables. Like, the list of A-10 Players of the Year are full of guys who didn't sniff the NBA. There aren't many Jordan-type executives left who scout by watching the NCAA tournament. Obi Toppin could have played at Southern Utah and scouts would have still found him. Jacob Toppin will need a radical jump in his production to get NBA attention, regardless of what school he's at.
Just look at guys like Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum, Ja Morant. All played for small schools and all went top 10 in their respective drafts.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea A10 is certainly good enough to get the attention if Jacob deserved it.
0 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

If your talent and experience/reputation lies somewhere between the NBA and the Euro leagues, it would seem the best way to sharpen your skills and improve your decision making is to get increased PT. Facing a variety of tense game time experiences is the best on the job training there is. Good luck if you think sitting on the bench at a marquee program is a better route.

Jacob is like the guy who lost his keys in a parking lot and in getting help under the light pole, he remarks to his helpers "I actually lost my keys in dark part of lot. Then why are we looking here and he replies because this is where the light is". The NBA will find talent no matter where you are. They don't need no light!
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Normally I would agree that Kentucky would help jump start your status as a potential nba player. However, with his current trajectory, he won’t be seeing the court until he’s. 22-23 years old. I think age will severely hurt his nba dreams in the long run.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A lot of remorse from Jacob's jilted lovers above. If you are not going to be critical of someone when he is here, don't be critical of him when he leaves.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago A lot of remorse from Jacob's jilted lovers above. If you are not going to be critical of someone when he is here, don't be critical of him when he leaves.
Give me a break. Many are being realistic about his chances of having a role at one of the biggest programs in college basketball.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago A lot of remorse from Jacob's jilted lovers above. If you are not going to be critical of someone when he is here, don't be critical of him when he leaves.
Give me a break. Many are being realistic about his chances of having a role at one of the biggest programs in college basketball.
Just another dumb comment from R72. Par for the course. Why would anyone be critical of Toppin when he was here?? He's an athletically-gifted player that we were all excited about. He's being criticized for his decision to leave a great situation at URI to instead become an invisible bench player at Kentucky. How he thinks that will improve his chances of reaching the next level is beyond me. The criticism is warranted.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Just another dumb comment from R72. Par for the course. Why would anyone be critical of Toppin when he was here?? He's an athletically-gifted player that we were all excited about. He's being criticized for his decision to leave a great situation at URI to instead become an invisible bench player at Kentucky. How he thinks that will improve his chances of reaching the next level is beyond me. The criticism is warranted.
So you are URI fans and you have a problem with someone "THINKING BIG"! Typical RI'er, talking big, but unable to act big. I admire people who reach for the stars.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

“If you are not critical of your friend before he punches you in the face, you cannot criticize his decision to punch you in the face” is one of the best takes of 2020, the Year of the Take.
5 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Sometimes it's about more than just basketball -- Sometimes it's exposure, amenities, etc.

Kentucky sells out 23K+ at Rupp Arena every season. Kentucky will headline on ESPN several times, playing some of the best teams in America. The players get a basketball dorm, located right next to a basketball practice facility, with all the amenities you could ask for.

For all we know, Obi was telling Jacob "You can get exposure anywhere, but I could have gotten so much more of it if I played for a big school." He's probably right -- Think of how much time ESPN plastered "Zion Williamson versus ____" for Duke games. How many times did that happen for Obi?

There is so much more to it than the path to the NBA, and some kids can't or don't want to overlook that.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago Sometimes it's about more than just basketball -- Sometimes it's exposure, amenities, etc.

Kentucky sells out 23K+ at Rupp Arena every season. Kentucky will headline on ESPN several times, playing some of the best teams in America. The players get a basketball dorm, located right next to a basketball practice facility, with all the amenities you could ask for.

For all we know, Obi was telling Jacob "You can get exposure anywhere, but I could have gotten so much more of it if I played for a big school." He's probably right -- Think of how much time ESPN plastered "Zion Williamson versus ____" for Duke games. How many times did that happen for Obi?

There is so much more to it than the path to the NBA, and some kids can't or don't want to overlook that.
You made some sense on what attracts a 20 year old but you lost it totally with Obi could’ve been telling Jacob “I could have gotten so much more of it (exposure) if I played for a big school”. Obi played 2 years at Dayton and was college Player of the Year and will be a lottery pick. Surprised by such a poor comment from someone who usually has a good perspective.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago Sometimes it's about more than just basketball -- Sometimes it's exposure, amenities, etc.

You made some sense on what attracts a 20 year old but you lost it totally with Obi could’ve been telling Jacob “I could have gotten so much more of it (exposure) if I played for a big school”. Obi played 2 years at Dayton and was college Player of the Year and will be a lottery pick. Surprised by such a poor comment from someone who usually has a good perspective.
I think the difference is that if Obi played at Kentucky, he would have constantly been a headline on ESPN: "Obi versus ___ (team or player), 8 PM tonight." Think of the hype Zion Williamson got two years ago and compare that to Obi? Do you think it was even close? I don't.

He was a well-deserving player of the year but outside of the college basketball pundits or NBA draft geeks, how many people do you think were going out of their way to watch his games? They didn't care about watching Obi play LaSalle or George Washington.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

I think the difference is that if Obi played at Kentucky, he would have constantly been a headline on ESPN: "Obi versus ___ (team or player), 8 PM tonight." Think of the hype Zion Williamson got two years ago and compare that to Obi? Do you think it was even close? I don't.

He was a well-deserving player of the year but outside of the college basketball pundits or NBA draft geeks, how many people do you think were going out of their way to watch his games? They didn't care about watching Obi play LaSalle or George Washington.
They were the #2 team in the country. It was Obi versus every night. Did you watch TV?
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Multiple games late in the season were on Stadium TV.

A Top 5 team with the National player of the year was playing multiple times on Stadium TV. That’s actually laughable.

If Jacob wants the big time, which Kentucky is, can’t really blame him.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Can’t wait until my family doesn’t have to look up the channel I’m on to see me sitting only 6 chairs from Coach Cal!
6 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

They were the #2 team in the country. It was Obi versus every night. Did you watch TV?
I would like to think we would all agree that there is a major difference between having your games almost all on ESPN/ESPN2 (ESPN hyping up the game, casual eyes that watch, etc) versus playing most of your games on some combination of NBCSN, CBSSN, and regional affiliates.

Just compare Duke and Dayton this past year:

ESPN: Duke 16 games, Dayton 2
ESPN 2: Duke 5 games, Dayton 3
ESPN U: Duke 0 games, Dayton 1
ACC Network Games: Duke 9, Dayton 0
CBSSN: Duke 0, Dayton 9
NBCSN: Duke 0, Dayton 3
Regional Coverage: Duke 1, Dayton 12
ESPN+: Duke 0, Dayton 1

We can do the same exercise with Kentucky:

CBS: Kentucky 5 games, Dayton 0
ESPN: Kentucky 15 games, Dayton 2
ESPN 2: Kentucky 2 games, Dayton 3
ESPN U: Kentucky 0 games, Dayton 1
SEC Network Games: Kentucky 9, Dayton 0
CBSSN: Kentucky 0, Dayton 9
NBCSN: Kentucky 0, Dayton 3
Regional Coverage: Kentucky 0, Dayton 12
ESPN+: Kentucky 0, Dayton 1

Do you really think that doesn't make a difference in how networks cover top players/programs?
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

I would like to think we would all agree that there is a major difference between having your games almost all on ESPN/ESPN2 (ESPN hyping up the game, casual eyes that watch, etc) versus playing most of your games on some combination of NBCSN, CBSSN, and regional affiliates.

Just compare Duke and Dayton this past year:

ESPN: Duke 16 games, Dayton 2
ESPN 2: Duke 5 games, Dayton 3
ESPN U: Duke 0 games, Dayton 1
ACC Network Games: Duke 9, Dayton 0
CBSSN: Duke 0, Dayton 9
NBCSN: Duke 0, Dayton 3
Regional Coverage: Duke 1, Dayton 12
ESPN+: Duke 0, Dayton 1

We can do the same exercise with Kentucky:

CBS: Kentucky 5 games, Dayton 0
ESPN: Kentucky 15 games, Dayton 2
ESPN 2: Kentucky 2 games, Dayton 3
ESPN U: Kentucky 0 games, Dayton 1
SEC Network Games: Kentucky 9, Dayton 0
CBSSN: Kentucky 0, Dayton 9
NBCSN: Kentucky 0, Dayton 3
Regional Coverage: Kentucky 0, Dayton 12
ESPN+: Kentucky 0, Dayton 1

Do you really think that doesn't make a difference in how networks cover top players/programs?
It absolutely makes a difference in how networks cover the top players, but you have to actually be on the court in order to get the benefit of that exposure, i think most here are questioning the risk Jacob is taking in terms of playing significant minutes at URI compared to having a front row seat at Rupp.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The conversation above was about how Obi may have felt that he didn't get the full exposure playing at Dayton that he could have had he been at a bigger school, even as an elite NBA prospect, and that perhaps he was another bird in Jacob's ear.

I agree with the premise of playing is also important to exposure, but it's hard to put ourselves in kid's heads and their opinion of their basketball abilities versus what their basketball abilities actually are.

If you go to Kentucky and have NBA ability, you'll get a crack at the league, whether you play 10 minutes or 30 minutes.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Point being, the NBA isn’t short on talent...reason being...they don’t miss out on anyone. If JT can play, they will find him, draft him and play him accordingly.

If he goes D league or overseas...the same rules apply. If he’s good enough, the NBA has an abundance of scouts that seek out and evaluate talent. The exposure is extra icing, but never a reason a talent isn’t observed/found.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

If Jared Terrell went to Kentucky for all 4 years, is his development different than what he ended up as here?

We know how he developed here and how good of a player he was for us. Does he develop into more than a two-way contract player?
OR
Does he not even develop into the 2 way player he became because he never sees the court and rides the pine?
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago If Jared Terrell went to Kentucky for all 4 years, is his development different than what he ended up as here?

We know how he developed here and how good of a player he was for us. Does he develop into more than a two-way contract player?
OR
Does he not even develop into the 2 way player he became because he never sees the court and rides the pine?
Kind of the ultimate "chicken or egg?" question for all levels of basketball. You can find examples for either side of the argument across all levels of all sports - Jermaine O'Neil sat on the bench for a couple years and was good when he finally played, whereas Kwame Brown kind of floundered from the start. Back when I had way more time on my hands, I looked at improvement in PER from year to year. I'm positive someone has probably done a better analysis of it somewhere on the Internet since then.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Point being, the NBA isn’t short on talent...reason being...they don’t miss out on anyone. If JT can play, they will find him, draft him and play him accordingly.

If he goes D league or overseas...the same rules apply. If he’s good enough, the NBA has an abundance of scouts that seek out and evaluate talent. The exposure is extra icing, but never a reason a talent isn’t observed/found.

Well said DC. Rhody has how many NBA teams within 500 miles of the Ryan Center? I’m not willing to take the time to figure it out because it’s quite a few, plus there has always been plenty of NBA scouts at Rhody games to observe our players or opposing players... they know how to get the the RC if they want to evaluate a player. I would guess the “luxuries”of playing college basketball at a school like Kentucky vastly outweigh those that Rhody can provide in all aspects outside of playing time. I hope he made the right decision, I wish him well and I hope this is the last F’ing time I need to hear his name again. Bye bye let’s move on who cares anymore.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think the problem is the thinking from many on this site appears to be mostly "If you are good enough, they will find you, you will be drafted." That is very valid, but that doesn't make it sole factor. Things in sports have evolved, and so does the player's mindset.

Just as an example, there was an article that came out last month where a few companies put their brains together and estimated just the social media value of certain college players that they may be eligible for under the NIL legislation.

For a player like Sam Ehlinger, QB at Texas, his estimated social media value was approximately $926,000 per year given his current following on Twitter + Instagram. Guys like Tre Jones and Cassius Winston had values around $250,000 per year. Those are insane numbers, if true, to make over one season through NIL, and that is only calculating estimates through social media.

Why does that matter? Playing for a big school means bigger followings that playing at small schools. So they get increased exposure from being all over ESPN, they'll make a ton of money because of NIL, they'll get blue-blood resources, etc. These are factors, maybe huge one's depending on what is important to the player. Does that make them wrong?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kentucky fans high on Toppin. He will be a practice player this year. Some project him in the starting line up in 2021-22.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/thre ... st-9054926
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Toppin thread. Great way to start off my Thursday.
1 x
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I wish Jacob luck. Maybe the atmosphere and the competition will make him instantly better. The photos show that he is doing the work off the court, getting his body in shape, but I don't think that aspect was ever in doubt.

All I know is, on paper, we replaced Jacob with Makhi Mitchell and Jacob would have likely slid further down the bench starting this year, meaning instead of starting at all, he probably would have been a 6th or 7th man, so it worked out for everyone.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago I wish Jacob luck. Maybe the atmosphere and the competition will make him instantly better. The photos show that he is doing the work off the court, getting his body in shape, but I don't think that aspect was ever in doubt.

All I know is, on paper, we replaced Jacob with Makhi Mitchell and Jacob would have likely slid further down the bench starting this year, meaning instead of starting at all, he probably would have been a 6th or 7th man, so it worked out for everyone.
I mean, I don't know about that. I like the potential of the Mitchells as much as anyone, but a general rule of thumb with all recruits and transfers (and draft picks in the NBA) is that they're almost at their most appealing before they actually take the court for your team. It wouldn't have surprised me if Toppin started the year in the lineup ahead of them. Lot of minutes up for grabs, and outside of Fatts, I don't think anyone has locked up a spot.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago I wish Jacob luck. Maybe the atmosphere and the competition will make him instantly better. The photos show that he is doing the work off the court, getting his body in shape, but I don't think that aspect was ever in doubt.

I mean, I don't know about that. I like the potential of the Mitchells as much as anyone, but a general rule of thumb with all recruits and transfers (and draft picks in the NBA) is that they're almost at their most appealing before they actually take the court for your team. It wouldn't have surprised me if Toppin started the year in the lineup ahead of them. Lot of minutes up for grabs, and outside of Fatts, I don't think anyone has locked up a spot.
I don't recall how the timing worked out and way too lazy to look, but if Toppin and Tyrese hadn't left, would the Mitchells still have come here in the first place?
2 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

It seems to me that he would have been fighting with Malik for minutes at the 3 rather than competing with either of the Mitchells. He probably would have played as a stretch 4 at times in a smaller lineup, too.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Don’t see why it wouldn’t be approved
0 x