BC AD Martin Jarmond takes UCLA AD Job

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: BC AD Martin Jarmond takes UCLA AD Job

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr to BC. Ha ha, I said it.

Just throwing it out there. Why wouldn't he consider it, if they're interested?

Big time football. ACC. Plenty of money. Slam dunk.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Thorr to BC. Ha ha, I said it.

Athletics at BC are almost impossible to succeed in. Tough academic requirements to get in, New England is a weak football recruiting area, shitty basketball arena, minimal interest in college sports in Boston.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Athletics at BC are almost impossible to succeed in. Tough academic requirements to get in, New England is a weak football recruiting area, shitty basketball arena, minimal interest in college sports in Boston.
Wasn't the same true in the early 2000s when BC was very strong in both basketball and football?

From 2001-2010, BC basketball made 7 NCAA Tournaments, include 5 Round of 32s and 1 Sweet Sixteen.

In football, BC went 10/10 in Bowl Game appearances with a 7-3 record, and I believe was one game away from a BCS appearance on 3 separate occasions (2004 - got blownout by a mediocre Syracuse team the last game of the year, if they won they win the BE and go to the Fiesta Bowl; lost in back-to-back ACC Championship games in 2007 & 2008).

I think they've been haunted more by being cheap coupled with some bad hiring decisions.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Better be a hockey guy if you want BC job!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Oh 100% it's been about bad hires, also moving to the ACC has brought them less success in recent years, mainly basketball. Football has been ranked recently and almost always makes a bowl game, although not nearly the success Jags had with Matt Ryan.

Of course a good hire can bring any program success, BC just has some limitations that other ACC schools don't have.

They were very short sighted firing Jags because he interviewed for the Jets job.

The basketball program has also been a complete joke since letting go of Skinner.

To quote the late Jerry Krause, BCs new Ad will probably tell Christian, "You can go 40-0 and you still won't be hired back."
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I think Jarmond was actually one of their first good hires, but he bounced pretty quickly. He seems to have football on the right track. Basketball... I'm not sure if anyone can fix that.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Not sure if this is a step up.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Wasn't the same true in the early 2000s when BC was very strong in both basketball and football?

From 2001-2010, BC basketball made 7 NCAA Tournaments, include 5 Round of 32s and 1 Sweet Sixteen.

In football, BC went 10/10 in Bowl Game appearances with a 7-3 record, and I believe was one game away from a BCS appearance on 3 separate occasions (2004 - got blownout by a mediocre Syracuse team the last game of the year, if they won they win the BE and go to the Fiesta Bowl; lost in back-to-back ACC Championship games in 2007 & 2008).

I think they've been haunted more by being cheap coupled with some bad hiring decisions.
Yep, you're right. BC was consistent. They contended.

They also had some good teams in the mid-80s when Flutie was there and in the early 90s.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RI_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Why can't we get coaches like that?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
We need a few runs to the Elite Eight or Final Four... BC was in the old Big East, which was arguably the top basketball conference in the country.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

We need a few runs to the Elite Eight or Final Four... BC was in the old Big East, which was arguably the top basketball conference in the country.
Nuclear woosh
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

BC was in the old Big East for the first half of that stretch, moving to the ACC for the 2005-2006 season. That first season in the ACC was the only time they made it past the round of 32 in that stretch, losing in OT to former BE foe Villanova by a point.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

BC was in the old Big East for the first half of that stretch, moving to the ACC for the 2005-2006 season. That first season in the ACC was the only time they made it past the round of 32 in that stretch, losing in OT to former BE foe Villanova by a point.
The old Big East was still a very solid conference. UConn, Syracuse, St. John's, Villanova, Georgetown were all basketball powers for years, even well before BC left for the ACC. BC won the conference tournament twice, in 1997 and 2001.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

The old Big East was still a very solid conference. UConn, Syracuse, St. John's, Villanova, Georgetown were all basketball powers for years, even well before BC left for the ACC. BC won the conference tournament twice, in 1997 and 2001.
I never said it wasn't.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!