Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Honestly at this point - fall sports that aren’t D1 football should be cancelled on the collegiate level. It is going to be unworkable. D1 football will be tough but at least there is a financial reason to do it.
So how long should we shut down? 2 or 3 years? Maybe more? They will not get a vaccine. I will eat crow if they get one , but since there has never been a coronavirus vaccine I'm not holding my breath. Although I heard Nov 3 may be the end of the rona.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Honestly at this point - fall sports that aren’t D1 football should be cancelled on the collegiate level. It is going to be unworkable. D1 football will be tough but at least there is a financial reason to do it.
So how long should we shut down? 2 or 3 years? Maybe more? They will not get a vaccine. I will eat crow if they get one , but since there has never been a coronavirus vaccine I'm not holding my breath. Although I heard Nov 3 may be the end of the rona.
Blueram - I am actually more or less in line with you. I just think there is no way that people are going to figure this out by August.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

While about 0.1% of people who got the flu died in the US last year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the coronavirus' death rate is currently about 5.2%, based on the reported totals of cases and deaths. That makes the coronavirus' average death rate 52 times higher than that of the flu.

BB01AB56-A5DC-4F8A-BAFE-429F4D8B7E61.jpeg
https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus- ... 00931.html
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Ah, the old “virus is a hoax to take down Donald Trump” conspiracy theory. It’s amazing that the powers that be have gotten so many frontline healthcare workers to buy into this ruse for all these months.
7 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Ah, the old “virus is a hoax to take down Donald Trump” conspiracy theory. It’s amazing that the powers that be have gotten so many frontline healthcare workers to buy into this ruse for all these months.
And the 123k people who died must be all in on it!
5 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Ram1019 wrote: 3 years ago

Not to mention 175 other countries....
5 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago While about 0.1% of people who got the flu died in the US last year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the coronavirus' death rate is currently about 5.2%, based on the reported totals of cases and deaths. That makes the coronavirus' average death rate 52 times higher than that of the flu.

I think there is both fact and fiction in these numbers.

Fact - COVID 19s impact on the elderly or vulnerable populations. Had society pretended it was "just the flu," these populations would have been decimated more than they already were. The only reason things weren't or haven't been worse is because of the social distancing and protective measures that have been put in place. While not as lethal for many of us, just going on pretending this was normal would have blown apart our health system and workplaces.

Fiction - The death rate overall is much less than 5.2%. Early on, there were not enough tests and anyone with mild symptoms was told to go home and isolate. Even when I needed a test Memorial Day weekend, I was originally told to just isolate for 14 days as my symptoms were mild. I told them I work with the public and could not afford to take 2 weeks off, and at that point a test was ordered (negative thankfully). There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people, who had COVID but were unable to be tested. If you add several hundred thousand positive cases to that ratio, the death rate is much less.

That said, I agree that COVID is more easily transmissible and more deadly than the average flu, just not as significant as this chart would indicate.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago
Ram1019 wrote: 3 years ago

Not to mention 175 other countries....
Even Russia!
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

A number of company's were very close with SARS (which was a different corona virus) but after 4 or 5 years.
SARS kind of burned itself out. SARS was also not as contagious as COVID19. So once SARS went away a lot of
the work that had been done (many years of work) got shelved because it was not economically worth
continuing. Short sighted reaction but understandable. Most of the vaccine work being done now was
built off the back of the SARS vaccine research so it was not necessary to start at ground zero. Most of
the experts are pretty confident that a vaccine is achievable in the next 12 to 18 months. Which is good because
Herd immunity is a distant pipe dream at this point. So how long do we need to shut down is unknown. And the
attitudes that are pervasive in some of the southern states, that this is all a bunch of hype and bull shit from
the fake press and politico's is starting to cause the results predicted by the scientists. (imagine that).
The idiots in Washington can't wish this away and the lack of a uniform national strategy may be our undoing.

How long to shut down, social distance, wear masks, disinfect incessantly depends on how much blood on
your hands you can tolerate. How many deaths of our senior citizens and medically compromised citizens you can
stomach. So How long. I guess as long as it takes. The virus doesn't care about dollars and cents, elections,
or anything other that propagating and spreading and unfortunately it's not a conspiracy no matter how much
the sociopath at the top wants to think it is.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago While about 0.1% of people who got the flu died in the US last year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the coronavirus' death rate is currently about 5.2%, based on the reported totals of cases and deaths. That makes the coronavirus' average death rate 52 times higher than that of the flu.

I think there is both fact and fiction in these numbers.

Fact - COVID 19s impact on the elderly or vulnerable populations. Had society pretended it was "just the flu," these populations would have been decimated more than they already were. The only reason things weren't or haven't been worse is because of the social distancing and protective measures that have been put in place. While not as lethal for many of us, just going on pretending this was normal would have blown apart our health system and workplaces.

Fiction - The death rate overall is much less than 5.2%. Early on, there were not enough tests and anyone with mild symptoms was told to go home and isolate. Even when I needed a test Memorial Day weekend, I was originally told to just isolate for 14 days as my symptoms were mild. I told them I work with the public and could not afford to take 2 weeks off, and at that point a test was ordered (negative thankfully). There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people, who had COVID but were unable to be tested. If you add several hundred thousand positive cases to that ratio, the death rate is much less.

That said, I agree that COVID is more easily transmissible and more deadly than the average flu, just not as significant as this chart would indicate.
Data source is the CDC.
What is your Data source to call the 5.2% fiction?

We are not out of the woods.

As Rhode Island goes to Phase 3 watch out. Day cares are opening, traffic is busy as ever, was at Narragansett Sunday and it was packed with many N.Y., MA, NJ and CT cars. Many people with no masks.

Virus will spike and it will get back into the nursing homes.

This story is not over.

Herd immunity is a long way off.

Let kids go back to college, all get it in first month or two, then they don’t need to Quarantine when they come home for Holidays.

Protection of older Professors is the key.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
UConn finances have been a mess for years - I don't blame them for using the pandemic as an excuse to cut sports. While those are not super high cost sports to run, it eliminates those scholarships which could be a revenue generating student (particularly an out of state or country full paying student).

As for the other chatter here, it is clear that COVID is worse than a bad flu season but it also is not nearly as bad as the headlines make it out to be. We will get through it with reasonable precautions and being ready to shut-down hot-spots in a moments notice.

People are rightfully upset with at this point with what appear to be mostly arbitrary and draconian shut downs and reopenings. If you do not live in a hot-spot area it certainly feels like you have wasted 3 months of your life. The result is backlash and people no longer taking just reasonable precautions.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

As for the other chatter here, it is clear that COVID is worse than a bad flu season but it also is not nearly as bad as the headlines make it out to be. We will get through it with reasonable precautions and being ready to shut-down hot-spots in a moments notice.

I love how people use the effectiveness of the 'DRACONIAN MEASURES " to prove that they weren't needed.
You have no reference point to compare against. The world shut down and stayed away from each other, everybody wore masks, social distanced.

I guess we will need to look at Brazil and Mexico and Florida, arizona, texas etc to see what the effects of saying F this, It's bull shit
I am going to go to a bar and get drunk with 200 of my closest friends.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago

I love how people use the effectiveness of the 'DRACONIAN MEASURES " to prove that they weren't needed.
You have no reference point to compare against. The world shut down and stayed away from each other, everybody wore masks, social distanced.

I guess we will need to look at Brazil and Mexico and Florida, arizona, texas etc to see what the effects of saying F this, It's bull shit
Or put people from Hospitals that had Covid-19 into Nursing Homes. Run-a-way winner of the worst idea of 2020 - don't even need to play out the year because nothing can beat that.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Data source is the CDC.
I think the data the CDC is presenting is accurate based on the criteria presented that they are taking deaths divided by positive tests and presenting that number.

I think it's common sense to many people that positive tests are not inclusive of all positive cases. I think it was widely-known in March when tests were not easily accessible that they were being saved for extreme cases in hospitals and they were telling everyone else to self-quarantine. I gave you a personal testimony of when I was told by the doctor not to get a test because of mild symptoms and had to fight to get one due to my work situation, and that was at the end of May.

If you choose to not believe me, you can go read the testing guidelines on the CDC website:

Bullet Point #1: "Most people will have mild illness and can recover at home without medical care and may not need to be tested." - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... sting.html

Mild symptoms means that those are people who are not likely to die, but if they aren't being tested than they are not factored into the death rate. How many people out there had mild symptoms and were never tested, or were simply asymptomatic?

Take for example New York -- Back in April, the state conducted antibody sampling in different areas of the state. Based on estimates from the antibody testing, it was estimated that some 2.7 million people in New York had COVID back in late-April. Yet as of today, New York only has 388k positive tests. So even if the antibody estimates were wrong and 1 million people have antibodies as of today, that means over 600K had COVID in NY but never tested positive. That would take New York's current mortality rate of 7.97% and turn it into 3.10%. That is a significant difference.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Data source is the CDC.
I think the data the CDC is presenting is accurate based on the criteria presented that they are taking deaths divided by positive tests and presenting that number.

I think it's common sense to many people that positive tests are not inclusive of all positive cases. I think it was widely-known in March when tests were not easily accessible that they were being saved for extreme cases in hospitals and they were telling everyone else to self-quarantine. I gave you a personal testimony of when I was told by the doctor not to get a test because of mild symptoms and had to fight to get one due to my work situation, and that was at the end of May.

If you choose to not believe me, you can go read the testing guidelines on the CDC website:

Bullet Point #1: "Most people will have mild illness and can recover at home without medical care and may not need to be tested." - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... sting.html

Mild symptoms means that those are people who are not likely to die, but if they aren't being tested than they are not factored into the death rate. How many people out there had mild symptoms and were never tested, or were simply asymptomatic?

Take for example New York -- Back in April, the state conducted antibody sampling in different areas of the state. Based on estimates from the antibody testing, it was estimated that some 2.7 million people in New York had COVID back in late-April. Yet as of today, New York only has 388k positive tests. So even if the antibody estimates were wrong and 1 million people have antibodies as of today, that means over 600K had COVID in NY but never tested positive. That would take New York's current mortality rate of 7.97% and turn it into 3.10%. That is a significant difference.
So the CDC is saying the Covid-19 is 52 times the Flu. Couldn't it also be that the Flu is not reported accurately either? That people without the Flu are not tested?

So if you disagree with the 52X that the CDC says it is, what do you think it is? Just your own best guess?

I don't know myself, just going by the CDC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Coronavirus cases are increasing among people under 40 in Arizona, Florida, Minnesota, South Carolina, and Texas.

Hospitalizations among young people are also increasing in Arizona and Florida.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/young-adults ... 00906.html
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

You can't use facts to bludgeon people who don't believe facts. A certain percentage are operating on sheer emotion, memes, echo chamber talking points, and their FB friends. This is the state of America. A nation that has no organized plan to combat the virus, a leader who contradicts his scientists based on political needs, and a world that views us now as disorganized and necessary to keep at arm's length.

"Winning."
8 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

So the CDC is saying the Covid-19 is 52 times the Flu. Couldn't it also be that the Flu is not reported accurately either? That people without the Flu are not tested?

So if you disagree with the 52X that the CDC says it is, what do you think it is? Just your own best guess?

I think you are right, that people could have mild flu symptoms and not go to the doctors to get a test, so there is some underreporting.

I think there are a few differences though:

1) Flu tests are easily available so no one would be turned away who wants one. I've gone to the doctors several times saying I believe I have a sinus infection and they go "Let's have a flu test just to be sure."

2) COVID transmits easier than the flu. The potential exists nationally that 10-20 million have had COVID and not realized it. That is important in understanding how lethal the disease is.

I think when all is said and done, the real mortality rate is somewhere between .5%-1%, so approximately 5-10x the flu. That's my best guess from some of the recent studies that I have seen out there.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I think you are right, that people could have mild flu symptoms and not go to the doctors to get a test, so there is some underreporting.

I think there are a few differences though:

1) Flu tests are easily available so no one would be turned away who wants one. I've gone to the doctors several times saying I believe I have a sinus infection and they go "Let's have a flu test just to be sure."

2) COVID transmits easier than the flu. The potential exists nationally that 10-20 million have had COVID and not realized it. That is important in understanding how lethal the disease is.

I think when all is said and done, the real mortality rate is somewhere between .5%-1%, so approximately 5-10x the flu. That's my best guess from some of the recent studies that I have seen out there.
I think both you and ramster are on the correct track and saying it different ways. If one is comparing CFR (Confirmed Fatality Rate) then the 5.2% vs 0.1% is accurate, as confirmed cases are all we have to go on. Both fatality rates are definitely overstated based on asymptomatic people or those who do not get severe symptoms will not go and get tested. The approximate Covid IFR (Infection Fatality Rate) I've seen thrown around by various studies is 0.5%-1%, and that's how the doomsday herd immunity fatalities were backed into: 1% IFR x 70% infected to gain herd immunity x 300 million people = approximately 2,000,000 fatalities.

The flu IFR would also go down from 0.1%, but I'm not sure it would also decrease by 5-10x like Covid would, mainly due to point #1 above regarding testing availability.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago You can't use facts to bludgeon people who don't believe facts. A certain percentage are operating on sheer emotion, memes, echo chamber talking points, and their FB friends. This is the state of America. A nation that has no organized plan to combat the virus, a leader who contradicts his scientists based on political needs, and a world that views us now as disorganized and necessary to keep at arm's length.

"Winning."
Pretty much this. Pointless to keep arguing with people who deny facts and move the goalposts when they can’t deny the facts any longer.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
First they cut Men's swimming and I said nothing. Then they cut cross-country and I called my congressman. By the time they cut Women's Rowing I realized civilization as we knew it had ended.
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Coronavirus cases are increasing among people under 40 in Arizona, Florida, Minnesota, South Carolina, and Texas.

Hospitalizations among young people are also increasing in Arizona and Florida.
I obviously don’t want this to happen, but I fear until fatalities start to noticeably increase in that age group they aren’t going to notice!
I think until some one they care about dies the attitude is this only affects old people and they were going to die soon anyway. I’m young and healthy, this is no threat to me!
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

There is a BIG difference between taking some good precautions and just shutting down the northeast for 3 months. Maybe there wouldn’t be backlash now if we didn’t just ruin people’s livelihoods completely by arbitrarily deciding which businesses can stay open and which we will ruin. That is my point.

Not too mention Ramsters point that most of the fatalities are from nursing homes - too busy stopping people at very minimal risk from playing golf to protect the vulnerable populations.

Again, someone show me stats that younger population is at a significant risk and I will be open to it. Those stats do not exist. Every headline about young people getting it talks about how there are more positive tests (to be expected), then a few paragraphs about how young people can spread to old people, then a quote from someone at a hospital that they are seeing younger patients with ZERO numbers to support that is more than anecdotal.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Florida sets a new record for new cases just about every day (https://experience.arcgis.com/experienc ... db9b25e429. And the positive rate has doubled in the last two weeks. That's the effect of saying F this.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

There is a BIG difference between taking some good precautions and just shutting down the northeast for 3 months.
The problem was the risk of overwhelming the hospital system. In RI, 60% of hospitalizations are 69 and under. 39% are 59 and under. These are our un-retired populations. Had we just said "Screw it, we are staying open, and we'll figure out the safety measures as we go," the hospital system would have sunk. It almost did and that was with a majority of people isolating from home. The reason things are better in the northeast now is that there are not many active infections due to limited interactions in prior months plus continued safety measures today. I don't think the Gov has any desire to shut-down the state again, but the numbers going in the wrong direction could easily lead to a reversal of course back into Phase 2 or even Phase 1.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

There is a BIG difference between taking some good precautions and just shutting down the northeast for 3 months.
The problem was the risk of overwhelming the hospital system. In RI, 60% of hospitalizations are 69 and under. 39% are 59 and under. These are our un-retired populations. Had we just said "Screw it, we are staying open, and we'll figure out the safety measures as we go," the hospital system would have sunk. It almost did and that was with a majority of people isolating from home. The reason things are better in the northeast now is that there are not many active infections due to limited interactions in prior months plus continued safety measures today. I don't think the Gov has any desire to shut-down the state again, but the numbers going in the wrong direction could easily lead to a reversal of course back into Phase 2 or even Phase 1.
I don't know that anyone is saying we should not have shut down initially. The problem was that was supposed to be 2 or 3 weeks and it turned into 2 or 3 months while goal posts to reopen were constantly changing. You either have to commit to shutting down completely (either personally or as a nation) until there is a vaccine, or you need to open it up and be prepared to shut it down again in a targeted way. We should have opened with masks and distancing 2 months ago with measure to protect the nursing home population (i.e. 65% of the deaths) and the old and or compromised (i.e. probably the other 35%) - less than 1% of deaths are people who did not have an underlying condition, meaning if they caught the flu this year they probably had a high chance of dying.

RI - 920 deaths at least 719 from assisted living or nursing homes. This does not include other elderly and disabled housing.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I don't know that anyone is saying we should not have shut down initially. The problem was that was supposed to be 2 or 3 weeks and it turned into 2 or 3 months while goal posts to reopen were constantly changing. You either have to commit to shutting down completely (either personally or as a nation) until there is a vaccine, or you need to open it up and be prepared to shut it down again in a targeted way. We should have opened with masks and distancing 2 months ago with measure to protect the nursing home population (i.e. 65% of the deaths) and the old and or compromised (i.e. probably the other 35%) - less than 1% of deaths are people who did not have an underlying condition, meaning if they caught the flu this year they probably had a high chance of dying.

RI - 920 deaths at least 719 from assisted living or nursing homes. This does not include other elderly and disabled housing.

Just because they were in a nursing home or especially a assisted living facility does not mean they were on "deaths doorstep." People live for years in those places.

We still dont know potential long term affects in the asymptomatic or mild symptoms.

If we opened 2 months ago that would have just been dumb we didnt have the testing capacity to handle something like that.

I want this country open badly! But we need to do it the right way. And mass rapid testing is the easiest way to do that but we have a goddamn moron in the highest office that wants to defund and cut testing nationwide.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

The reason the fatality number is only 920 deaths IS BECAUSE OF THE SHUT DOWN not IN SPITE OF IT.
Define compromised health, High blood pressure, obesity, diabetes , asthma. Copd, etc., etc. etc.
and shutting down for 2 weeks would have been useless. It takes 2 weeks for Covid to run its course
hense the 2 week confinement from positive test. For only a two week shut down to be truly effective everyone who
contracted Covid would have had to been infected on DAY ONE. if Not for the shut down the Over 60 Year old population
would have been circulating and becoming infected at an elevated rate. Because of the shut down
they were not out and about, they were protecting themselves and they didn't get sick and over-whelm the
heath care system. LOOK AT NEW YORK early on. The virus landed their first and circulated quickly undetected,
and look what happened there. That could have been here but we reacted fast and cut off the advance.

And don't compare this to the flu , to state the obvious there is no VAccine for Covid and no effective
anti-viral as we have for influenza. They are apples and oranges.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think you are 100% right Chico.

Unfortunately in this state and in this country, many people subscribe to "F the old and vulnerable, let the rest of us go live our lives and they can stay in isolation until a vaccine is ready."
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

They are testing everyone who dies for the rona. If they have it it is a rona death. Do they test every person who dies for the flu? Just asking. I bet many people who die have the flu and that is not the cause of death per medical exam.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago They are testing everyone who dies for the rona. If they have it it is a rona death. Do they test every person who dies for the flu? Just asking. I bet many people who die have the flu and that is not the cause of death per medical exam.
When you’re already in a ditch, stop digging. You’re making yourself look like an idiot.
7 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Not too mention Ramsters point that most of the fatalities are from nursing homes - too busy stopping people at very minimal risk from playing golf to protect the vulnerable populations.
Not going to bother picking apart other points on the post, but this is very strange statement seeing as Gov Raimondo NEVER CLOSED GOLF COURSES. Mayor Elorza closed Providence golf courses at the time of his public parks closing from early April to early May but that was all I heard of being closed.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

theblueram wrote: ↑ They are testing everyone who dies for the rona. If they have it it is a rona death. Do they test every person who dies for the flu? Just asking. I bet many people who die have the flu and that is not the cause of death per medical exam.
Actually the deaths from influenza are estimated
Using an algorithm based on statistical history while a death from Covid is ONLY counted if there was a positive test prior to passing. The CDC has stated that because of the different methods they feel influenza is likely over stated while Covid is more likely UNDERSTATED.

If you want a more in depth explanation It’s on their website .
6 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

theblueram wrote: ↑ They are testing everyone who dies for the rona. If they have it it is a rona death. Do they test every person who dies for the flu? Just asking. I bet many people who die have the flu and that is not the cause of death per medical exam.
Actually the deaths from influenza are estimated
Using an algorithm based on statistical history while a death from Covid is ONLY counted if there was a positive test prior to passing. The CDC has stated that because of the different methods they feel influenza is likely over stated while Covid is more likely UNDERSTATED.

If you want a more in depth explanation It’s on their website .
He doesn't want facts, he's made that perfectly clear.
5 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago They are testing everyone who dies for the rona. If they have it it is a rona death. Do they test every person who dies for the flu? Just asking. I bet many people who die have the flu and that is not the cause of death per medical exam.

This. Is. Not. True
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago The reason the fatality number is only 920 deaths IS BECAUSE OF THE SHUT DOWN not IN SPITE OF IT.
Define compromised health, High blood pressure, obesity, diabetes , asthma. Copd, etc., etc. etc.
and shutting down for 2 weeks would have been useless. It takes 2 weeks for Covid to run its course
hense the 2 week confinement from positive test. For only a two week shut down to be truly effective everyone who
contracted Covid would have had to been infected on DAY ONE. if Not for the shut down the Over 60 Year old population
would have been circulating and becoming infected at an elevated rate. Because of the shut down
they were not out and about, they were protecting themselves and they didn't get sick and over-whelm the
heath care system. LOOK AT NEW YORK early on. The virus landed their first and circulated quickly undetected,
and look what happened there. That could have been here but we reacted fast and cut off the advance.

And don't compare this to the flu , to state the obvious there is no VAccine for Covid and no effective
anti-viral as we have for influenza. They are apples and oranges.
Stop ignoring that 720 of those deaths occurred in 40ish facilities. That is not insignificant. How many from those 40 facilities accounted for the surge at the hospitals?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago

This. Is. Not. True
Why read the CDC website or news articles when you can get everything you need to know from Facebook memes? /s
3 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Back to impact of Covid on basketball- Likelihood of fans in stands this season????
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I wanted to share this, because it was on CNN yesterday.

"And while more than 2.4 million cases have been diagnosed nationwide since the pandemic started, the number of people who have been infected is likely to be 10 times as high. Antibody tests show more than 20 million people have been infected with coronavirus, most of them without knowing it, said Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Between 5% and 8% of Americans have been infected with the coronavirus, with the numbers varying by region. New York, once the epicenter of the pandemic, will have a higher percentage of people with past infections than some states in the West, Redfield said.

Some cases went unnoticed partly because testing was at first limited to people who were very ill, Redfield said. As more people get tested, he added, it's clear a large percentage had mild symptoms or none at all."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/26/heal ... index.html
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with this. They had estimated that in NYC there might have been up to 2MM actual cases based on antibody screening.
There is no doubt that from Feb 1 thru mid March (pre lock down) there were thousands of infected people co-living in NYC in normal lifestyle conditions. Going to bars, nightclubs, sporting events, etc.

Hence the massive surge that then took place in March/April.

There are various nuances to this situation, and different ways to look at things, to me these are the most indisputable facts:

-its more lethal and contagious than the flu
-so little was known about this strain of corona that across the board politicians, scientists and doctors all failed the citizens and failed in their jobs.
-there has been an abject failure of leadership and lack of a holistic strategy at both the federal and local level. But IMO Raimondo has been in a small group of governors that got it mostly right.
-masks are the single best way to mitigate spread while allowing for some lifestyle and economic recovery to take place. The anti mask crowd are amongst the dumbest or most stubborn or most selfish in our society. Pick 1.
-the mainstream media, on both sides, is a cesspool and even dangerous at times in their pursuit of ratings, clicks and shares
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Agree with this. They had estimated that in NYC there might have been up to 2MM actual cases based on antibody screening.
There is no doubt that from Feb 1 thru mid March (pre lock down) there were thousands of infected people co-living in NYC in normal lifestyle conditions. Going to bars, nightclubs, sporting events, etc.

Hence the massive surge that then took place in March/April.

There are various nuances to this situation, and different ways to look at things, to me these are the most indisputable facts:

-its more lethal and contagious than the flu
-so little was known about this strain of corona that across the board politicians, scientists and doctors all failed the citizens and failed in their jobs.
-there has been an abject failure of leadership and lack of a holistic strategy at both the federal and local level. But IMO Raimondo has been in a small group of governors that got it mostly right.
-masks are the single best way to mitigate spread while allowing for some lifestyle and economic recovery to take place. The anti mask crowd are amongst the dumbest or most stubborn or most selfish in our society. Pick 1.
-the mainstream media, on both sides, is a cesspool and even dangerous at times in their pursuit of ratings, clicks and shares
Agree BAR.

Why didn’t NY utilize/maximize the 2,500 beds made available in the converted Jacob Javits center and the 1,500 beds provided by the USNS Comfort? The hospitals were bursting in capacity and then patients with Covid were sent to Nursing Homes causing fast spreading to our most vulnerable population?

Cuomo reversed sending Hospital Covid infected patients to Nursing homes on May 12 but not after many deaths took place.

What do New Yorkers think about this?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think most feel DeBlasio is useless and Cuomo was good in some ways but also made some very big mistakes like the nursing home policy
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Time to lock this topic ???
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why? Is Covid-19 over?
Does Covid No longer has a potential impact on the NCAA College Basketball Season?
No longer a relevant topic?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I've removed some posts that were well beyond the norm for this thread.

Please use the "report post" feature if something appears out of line.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

In following Covid related reports from the sports world this past week, you have to have some doubts about the NBA and NHL finishing their respective seasons , if they start at all. Starting up is not a lock, although I think they will. Baseball has a better chance of succeeding. Things seem to be going ok in the Korean league.
I’m still wondering how they’ll be able to safely play football this fall, given all the close contact. Today I heard that they have not given up on the idea of fans in the stands. I assume they mean a percentage of the stadium and not a full one, but that still seems nuts to me.
We’ll have a better idea as to how the college basketball season might look once these pro leagues start up.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

URI has announced plans for it opening around Labor Day with a modified fall semester schedule and a 25% reduction in students living on campus. The residence plan will reduce students living on campus from 6,200 to 4,400 to insure that all living spaces will have one or two occupants - no triples.

Classes will begin on Sept. 9, but in person classes will end at the Thanksgiving break and the rest of the semester and final exams will be conducted on-line.

Two observations come to mind with this plan. First, students will not be on campus for half of the home OOC schedule and probably the first three games of the A-10 home schedule.

Given the staggered move-in dates and the residence spacing plans, it is hard to see URI allowing a packed student section at each of the first three home games - Drexel, Quinnipiac, and Lehigh. The more attractive games against Seton Hall, Boise State, and Brown will see no students on campus at all. How other non-student fans will be accommodated is a big question. Will a distancing plan be implemented in Ryan's seating layout? Will attendees have to wear masks? Will the concessions only offer packaged food. How will the restrooms be handled? Will food buffets be eliminated in the suites and the alumni lounge. Will the Ram store restrict the number of customers at any given time?

The basketball opener on November 10 is more than four months away, so things will change, but this season is guaranteed to be unlike any other and certainly will break no attendance records. Stay tuned.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I just hope they allow some fans at the games in my daughter’s last year as a Ramette, even if I am not able to attend many or any games. I’m still bummed by the fact that there was no A10 tournament for her to cheer at. The whole family was ready to go.
2 x