Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Running Ram »

This is a serious question for discussion as it pertains to my favorite demographic of my favorite sport, college basketball. How do the conferences and the ncaa plan to complete their seasons? there has to be a plan or discussion at least around the concept that some teams, at some point, will more than likely find themselves unable to compete and be compelled to forfeit games due to quarantine guidelines. Even if your team is healthy and able you might find yourselves without an opponent for stretches. There have to be people in "high" places discussing this possibility, I would love to know what the prevailing thoughts are about such scenarios. Not being doomy, just thinking ahead. Even considering something like rankings how do you rank a team that picks up 3 wins due to forfeit? or 3 losses?
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just some encouraging updates here. The large gatherings of 10k people downtown prov were two weeks ago. There has been no spikes in RI. Those people were shoulder to shoulder and not all wearing masks. Positive rate in RI is less then 2%.
2 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think college BB has a chance of happening this season.

Not that optimistic about college and pro football though, especially with today's news about the multiple positive tests.

BB teams and their support staff are a lot smaller and easier to manage than football's.

Major league BB doesn't look likely this season either.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Gansett packed today. Many people not even wearing masks in the stores. Guess we should see a spike soon.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Gansett packed today. Many people not even wearing masks in the stores. Guess we should see a spike soon.
Called gansett scary after a recent trip to the pier.

My 3 week clock is ticking, so far so good.

I’m still laying low tho I did take a solo lap around the local par 3 golf course. Was actually able to concentrate enough to stripe a few pretty good indeed! No tennis yet, maybe soon.

Getting a bit more optimistic about Rhody hoops actually happening!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago It is insanity that some people still downplay this virus given some 120,000 American lives have now been taken and the toll continues to climb. I guess some people don't care if others die as long as they are not personally affected.
I had someone ask me if I have been to a restaurant yet lol. Asked me how it was. I said it was just like January. Like I said, the flu on steroids. 50k deaths more than the flu.
It's insanity that blueram can't seem to understand that if there were as many covid infections as the flu, then the number of deaths from covid would be MANY times the number that dies from the flu.

20-40 times more, at least. Simple facts. You can't compare apples and oranges, but you continue to try to do so.
Bone, the number of asymptomatic people I'm sure far out weigh the number of tests taken. Like the Houston football team. They tested all the players and how many were positive? They weren't even sick. But keep eating up the numbers being fed to you. Me, I'm going to the bar and have a few with no mask on. Like I have for the past 3 weeks. Also, my blood type is O Negative so the scientists say that I'm not at a risk. Cause I always believe scientists lol.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, we're 'down' to 'only' 700-800 deaths per day in the U.S. I guess that's not too bad.....as long as it's us old people. Compare most of the European countries who are less than 100 per day, or Japan, a highly populated country who actually believe in masks. They have 935 TOTAL deaths. We have around 120,000. I guess there aren't any old people in Japan...
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Gina announced phase 3 today and made no mention of bars reopening as of June 29th.

I know several restaurants that are waiting for their bars to open before they reopen for indoor dining.

I thought bars were supposed to be part of phase 3. I guess I will try and find out in the next few days.

blueram, type O blood is supposed to be at lower risk....not no risk. As in a lot of things, it's too early to tell yet.

People who don't wear their masks when they are supposed so, are beyond selfish. Maybe since they tend to be younger, they know they aren't going to die from the virus, so they just don't care who they might infect, like their parents or grandparents.

I don't want to wear a mask either, but I do, because I care about others and myself.

By the way, Clemson announced today that 28 of their student athletes tested positive. That does not bode well for college sports this fall.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Yeah, we're 'down' to 'only' 700-800 deaths per day in the U.S. I guess that's not too bad.....as long as it's us old people. Compare most of the European countries who are less than 100 per day, or Japan, a highly populated country who actually believe in masks. They have 935 TOTAL deaths. We have around 120,000. I guess there aren't any old people in Japan...
Billyboy, I'm not downplaying the impact on compromised individuals. But in RI, 80%+ of the deaths have been in nursing homes. My wife's aunt passed and she had Alzheimer's. She had been going downhill since December. Cause of death? Covid. Stay safe Billyboy, we need you around here. Keeps assholes like me in line.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Gina announced phase 3 today and made no mention of bars reopening as of June 29th.

I know several restaurants that are waiting for their bars to open before they reopen for indoor dining.

I thought bars were supposed to be part of phase 3. I guess I will try and find out in the next few days.

blueram, type O blood is supposed to be at lower risk....not no risk. As in a lot of things, it's too early to tell yet.

People who don't wear their masks when they are supposed so, are beyond selfish. Maybe since they tend to be younger, they know they aren't going to die from the virus, so they just don't care who they might infect, like their parents or grandparents.

I don't want to wear a mask either, but I do, because I care about others and myself.

By the way, Clemson announced today that 28 of their student athletes tested positive. That does not bode well for college sports this fall.
Again Bone, they are testing people who are not sick and 28 people are positive. Coronavirus is probably the most common virus that exists on this planet. I would bet millions and millions have it and don't even know it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

blueram, this is a new strain of the coronavirus....that's why it's called the novel [new] coronavirus.

This strain is far more deadly than the previous strains, except the one from 1919-20.

Again, old folks like myself have a far greater chance of dying from it, than people under 50.

You are right about one thing though.....millions have it or had it, and don't know about it.

But still, too many immune compromised and elderly are dying from it.

If a drug or drugs can be found that keeps people from becoming very sick or die, then this whole mess will be over.

There has been some good news lately on that front, but it's still going to be several months or more before things can get back to normal.

I hope so anyway.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We have flu vaccines and about 70k die every year in the states from the flu. There has never been a coronavirus vaccine. My guess is there will never be. Coronavirus is one of the leading causes of the common cold, behind rhinovirus. I wouldn't get hopes up on a vaccine. I don't see it happening.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think there's a better chance of finding a drug combo that can control serious cases of the virus.

Some progress is already being made there.

Vaccines are not always effective....I know from experience.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Jesus H, blueram, can you stop saying “coronavirus” is one of the most common diseases. It is a common TYPE of virus that has been around for thousands of years, but it is not a common DISEASE - COVID-19 is new.

Mushrooms are one TYPE of fungus, but some are way worse for you than others.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

This thread breaks every forum rule. It even clearly crosses the politics line which can never be crossed.

Kudos to our moderators for hands off and letting it run. Further kudos to members with obvious strong/ out of the mainstream opinion for keeping it pretty civil. That says a lot about our Ram community IMHO.

Crazy times.

Well done everyone.

B safe.

Go Rhody.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Like I said. The protests were a true test. No spike. How can one explain that?
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Like I said. The protests were a true test. No spike. How can one explain that?
The virus has a bias?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Like I said. The protests were a true test. No spike. How can one explain that?
It can take up to 3 weeks. Give it another week.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Gina announced phase 3 today and made no mention of bars reopening as of June 29th.

Again Bone, they are testing people who are not sick and 28 people are positive. Coronavirus is probably the most common virus that exists on this planet. I would bet millions and millions have it and don't even know it.
And that last paragraph is why people with a brain and conscience should be wearing a mask when maintaining distance isn’t possible. It’s just common sense and common courtesy for the time being, so we can enjoy some things we like and so the economy can begin to recover which is what everyone needs.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago We have flu vaccines and about 70k die every year in the states from the flu. There has never been a coronavirus vaccine. My guess is there will never be. Coronavirus is one of the leading causes of the common cold, behind rhinovirus. I wouldn't get hopes up on a vaccine. I don't see it happening.
Please stop spreading the false narrative that anywhere near 70,000 die from the flu EVERY year in the US. It is not the case. The average flu deaths per year for the last decade was around 37,500 per the CDC. The worst recent year was a high of 61,000. It however was outside the norm as was the low another year that had just 12,000 deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/in ... nce%202010.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think these leagues are making a mistake - let it run its course amongst the players and get back playing games. Players who routinely inject themselves with HGH and steroids for a bigger paycheck are losing opportunity to make money they will never get back. Chicken pox it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I think these leagues are making a mistake - let it run its course amongst the players and get back playing games. Players who routinely inject themselves with HGH and steroids for a bigger paycheck are losing opportunity to make money they will never get back. Chicken pox it.
The only way for it to 'run it's course'.... is to 'get out there and do normal' isn't it?
Masks and hiding are just extending the timeline, aren't they?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I think these leagues are making a mistake - let it run its course amongst the players and get back playing games. Players who routinely inject themselves with HGH and steroids for a bigger paycheck are losing opportunity to make money they will never get back. Chicken pox it.
The only way for it to 'run it's course'.... is to 'get out there and do normal' isn't it?
Yes - but I am not necessarily talking about the general public at this point. Let’s start with controlled groups like sports leagues. They all get together for training camp with a few known positive players and voila the league has immunity.

Actually been thinking the same about college in the fall. Let them get sick at school and get over it. Obviously can’t tell people that is what you are doing because there will be mass uprising because everyone is now conditioned to believe they will die from this (which is extremely unlikely unless you are over 80 or in a nursing home).
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Yes - but I am not necessarily talking about the general public at this point. Let’s start with controlled groups like sports leagues. They all get together for training camp with a few known positive players and voila the league has immunity.

Actually been thinking the same about college in the fall. Let them get sick at school and get over it. Obviously can’t tell people that is what you are doing because there will be mass uprising because everyone is now conditioned to believe they will die from this (which is extremely unlikely unless you are over 80 or in a nursing home).
Isn't that (really) what the college football teams are doing right now? Letting them get sick and get over it (without telling people that's what they are doing?)

I mean, what else can you call it?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The thing is it's all good in theory until an athlete(s) dies or a student(s) dies because proper safety precautions were not put in place.

Schools may be let off the hook because of the waivers they are forcing these athletes to sign, but that won't eliminate the crucifixion they will get publicly if that were to happen.

Professional sports are at least going to run with the "bubble" theory that "everyone was contained, we don't know how COVID got in." College sports is going to be a lot harder to properly contain.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

[quote=rjsuperfly66 post_id=455710 time=1592659902 user_id=631]
The thing is it's all good in theory until an athlete(s) dies or a student(s) dies because proper safety precautions were not put in place.

Schools may be let off the hook because of the waivers they are forcing these athletes to sign, but that won't eliminate the crucifixion they will get publicly if that were to happen.

Professional sports are at least going to run with the "bubble" theory that "everyone was contained, we don't know how COVID got in." College sports is going to be a lot harder to properly contain.
[/quote]

That is why they can’t come out and say that is what they are doing, because there is a one in a million chance a person dies. That is the world we live in. Everyone used to go to a friends house to get chicken pox and about 100 kids died each year in the country. Yes, it is awful that happened and now we have a vaccine to help avoid those deaths. I am not an anti-vaccine person. However, we now live in a world where everything stops to prevent the 1 death that was going to happen at some point anyways. Everyone dies. We need the younger population where risk of harm is so small to spread the virus around and build up a herd immunity. Then the community spread lessens. Target lockdowns to hot-spots to prevent overcrowded hospitals and that is how we survive this.

No one of consequence will tell you that is what they are planning - but it is what they are doing and I think on purpose at this point.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Education is the cure for ignorance.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

The other problem with this scientist and epidemiologists are not sure if "herd immunity" is possible. A recent study has shown that antibodies/immunity may only last for as little as 2 months.

One more issue especially when talking football is that obesity is one of the biggest factors when determining severity of symptoms especially younger people who typically will be just fine from this. Football has a lot of "fat kids," sorry not being rude attempt at humor, playing the line on both sides of the ball.

I am so torn on this topic how long do we destroy our economy and stay holed up inside your own house with minimal interaction with other people?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... owl-hopes/

And football has more redundancies on a squad than BB has.
What happens when one player tests positive the week of the PC game, but it's determined that he was contagious the last time the whole team was on a bus or plane together? Bam! Two week team quarantine, forfeit loss to our state rivals.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Just look at us here in Arizona... We are going thru our worst phase since the whole thing started... masks now mandatory in Maricopa county. When people relax and open up this happens. Just like Mr. Smith said in the Matrix... he is inevitable.

I have been out of my place two times since March 12th. If you have the virus, you didn't get it from me.

I don't expect any college basketball, football, NFL, NBA, NHL, <pick your sport> to be played with fans until a year from now, at the earliest.

For anyone comparing this to the flu -- STOP. You are showing your ignorance.
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Are we still naming and shaming places?

Thursday morning, 8:30am, North Kingstown Walmart. Brought my carriage of groceries to the self check out. On the opposite side of the register I was using were the refrigerated cabinets. An employee in a t-shirt and shorts was standing facing me about 3 feet away from my face and had his mask down around his neck and started doing the "Covid bark" cough right in my face. So, I looked up, and he was looking down at a smart phone.

Then, he did it again, and I looked right at him like as if to say "are you kidding me?" He barely made eye contact.

Then, he did it a third time, and I looked right at him again, wide eyed, and he gave me this dirty look stare down. So, I said, "hey, do you mind putting your mask on?" and he slowly starts pulling up an n95 mask hidden beneath the other one on, slowly and dramatically, giving me the death look, and then finally the other regular mask. Then he said something, I don't remember what it was. He said something along the lines of "sorry, it get's hot back there in the back room" So I said "you aren't in the back room!"

Then I got loud: "what is the point of this entire building..." I spread my arms wide and looked left to right "doing ALL OF THIS, if you are going to do that?? You're coughing right in my face like you have the plague, and you're going to be the one that's offended here??"

So, then he left, and a minute or two later, he's walking right in my direction in the actual area where I am self checking out, while I am still ringing up my stuff. He's staring right at me and moving his body like a tough guy. So, I started again, "you have a heck of a nerve, you know that? Now what?" So, he stops short, and I said to the other employees in that area "you're employee here just coughed three times right in my face".

He says "I don't work for Walmart!", and starts bolting in the other direction, as the others approached. Grabs his cart and walked towards the back of the store. I yelled back at him before he left "oh, you don't work for Walmart. That explains it then!"

So, I started talking to the other employees. Apparently, he works for Pepsi, and he wasn't the regular guy they see. I said, you know what, at this point, I'm pretty much immune, I work at the hospital, I didn't come from the hospital, but I work there, but what about that 70-80 year old guy that was standing at the register right next to me while all of this was going on? so, they said they would tell their manager that that guy was rude to one of the customers. It's really not Walmart's fault, per se, but something to be mindful of.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I don’t think opening up is what is making things worse necessarily. Here in RI as you all know, we have been opening for weeks and cases are still on the decline. Just like Conn Mass, Ny.
1 x
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago

The other problem with this scientist and epidemiologists are not sure if "herd immunity" is possible. A recent study has shown that antibodies/immunity may only last for as little as 2 months.

One more issue especially when talking football is that obesity is one of the biggest factors when determining severity of symptoms especially younger people who typically will be just fine from this. Football has a lot of "fat kids," sorry not being rude attempt at humor, playing the line on both sides of the ball.

I am so torn on this
topic how long do we destroy our economy and stay holed up inside your own house with minimal interaction with other people?
I am sorry but I don’t trust the “studies show” crowd when it comes to this virus, the alarmists have flip-flopped and been wrong on just about everything. Most of the deaths were preventable if people in charge had locked down nursing homes sooner. There are not mass deaths happening in people under 60 and trust me most people in there 30s and 20s have been done socially distancing (except from their jobs) since April.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I’m glad a few of the people on this board aren’t making the decisions. You’re talking like it’s black and white, you die or you don’t, but you totally ignore that some people have lasting problems. An NFL player with a 10% reduction in lung function probably isn’t an NFL player anymore.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago I’m glad a few of the people on this board aren’t making the decisions. You’re talking like it’s black and white, you die or you don’t, but you totally ignore that some people have lasting problems. An NFL player with a 10% reduction in lung function probably isn’t an NFL player anymore.
Someone show me statistics that this is an actual thing that is happening to people under 40 and not anecdotal hyperbole - everyone retweeting the 20 same people in the region that “they know” it happened to.

How about a headline from Michigan “perfectly healthy boy” dies of Covid-19. Had a blood sugar of 1500 - he died of undiagnosed diabetes / DKA but it was the first juvenile death in Michigan so there was scary headline for people to worry about.

If the statistics were there for consequences of younger folks they would be in your face. The only statistics you hear about with younger population is the number of infections coupled with a few sad stories to make you worried. It has been over 3 months, over 100,000 confirmed cases in Massachusetts. under age 50, about 1000 people hospitalized in 3 months and 150 dead. Go to under 30 (i.e. most athletes we are talking about) 300 hospitalized and 15 died. Most of those 300 probably had some other health condition but we will never really know. We will also never know if they were hospitalized for COVID-19, or hospitalized and happened to have COVID-19 which is a big difference.

Again, from what I see people in there 20s and 30s are not doing a super great social distancing, their confirmed infection rates are super high - and unconfirmed/unknown is probably astronomical and yet almost no consequences. More people in that age group will die or hospitalized ina car accident in 3 months.

So yes, the return to normalcy will begin with the younger population.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

The comments here make it so easy to discern people's political leanings. Hope you all enjoyed last night's double feature:
Deliverance
The Hills Have Eyes
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago The comments here make it so easy to discern people's political leanings. Hope you all enjoyed last night's double feature:
Deliverance
The Hills Have Eyes
I'm not trying to start a thing here, I just wanted to clear up your meaning, are you saying that anyone that doesn't bite on all the reported "facts" is a red necks and of course republican?

I am neither, the only party I've ever been affiliated with is the "Cool Moose" party here in RI, guess I'm a hippy, which is what my republican mother called me 25 years ago when I declared. It was probably stated something like "Ok, let's hear from hippy dippy about Cool Moose"

It's just so easy for most people, wish I could be so binary. If you're a Demacrap everyone else is a redneck and if you're a repukelican everyone else is a hippy.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR....a "hippy?"

That's hippie......take it from someone who was called one back in the day.....

Unless it was my dad, who called me a Willie Wompus…..being a career military man he had issues with anyone who didn't have a buzz cut lol.....
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

haha, the Cool Moose party guy's mom aunt used to work in the mail room at RIC back in the early 90's. She was pretty cool herself.

sorry, it wasn't his mom, it was his aunt. Just went and looked her up. But I remember her showing his very first campaign flyer to everyone, she was so proud of him. That was around '92. He had that characteristic look from when he was in his 20's, so there was no forgetting him.
Last edited by rhodyfan3000 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Helper In Promoting Peaceful Individual Existence
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago I’m glad a few of the people on this board aren’t making the decisions. You’re talking like it’s black and white, you die or you don’t, but you totally ignore that some people have lasting problems. An NFL player with a 10% reduction in lung function probably isn’t an NFL player anymore.
Someone show me statistics that this is an actual thing that is happening to people under 40 and not anecdotal hyperbole - everyone retweeting the 20 same people in the region that “they know” it happened to.

How about a headline from Michigan “perfectly healthy boy” dies of Covid-19. Had a blood sugar of 1500 - he died of undiagnosed diabetes / DKA but it was the first juvenile death in Michigan so there was scary headline for people to worry about.

If the statistics were there for consequences of younger folks they would be in your face. The only statistics you hear about with younger population is the number of infections coupled with a few sad stories to make you worried. It has been over 3 months, over 100,000 confirmed cases in Massachusetts. under age 50, about 1000 people hospitalized in 3 months and 150 dead. Go to under 30 (i.e. most athletes we are talking about) 300 hospitalized and 15 died. Most of those 300 probably had some other health condition but we will never really know. We will also never know if they were hospitalized for COVID-19, or hospitalized and happened to have COVID-19 which is a big difference.

Again, from what I see people in there 20s and 30s are not doing a super great social distancing, their confirmed infection rates are super high - and unconfirmed/unknown is probably astronomical and yet almost no consequences. More people in that age group will die or hospitalized ina car accident in 3 months.

So yes, the return to normalcy will begin with the younger population.
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago For those that are saying "oh well a large portion of those dying of Covid are 80 and over" then using this as a reason to compare it to the flu...you may want to compare apples to apples. Based on CDC 2017 stats (latest I could find), the flu killed around 55,000 people that year and around 38,000 of those folks were 75+. A rate of 69% of deaths were 75+. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr ... 09-508.pdf

Compare that to Covid age distribution. This is all provisional data and not organized too well, but I took a representative weekly sample at the peak weekly death toll (4/18/2020) to get a best-guess proportion: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... /index.htm
From this week, I found a 61% rate of deaths of people 75+.

Ok, so despite the 8% lower rate of deaths 75+ I'll allow the flu and Covid to be viewed as roughly the same death rate to the older population. So what is the next argument the naysayers have to minimize Covid? I prefer to use science and numbers to reflect on the danger of something, not the "suck it up buttercup" method.
I posted the above in this thread a few weeks ago, that the age distribution is close to equivalent to the flu.

But I kind of reject your premise...ok, the young people are not at the same risk, although even with a lower % fatality, every 1-10 (0.1%-1%) out of 1,000 infections as opposed to around 50-100 of elderly people who contract the virus. If you want to generously equate young people with an equivalent baseline of the US Military, they've had 13,000 cases resulting in 36 deaths (0.3%). But in addition to at least a small amount of deaths among young carriers, just aiding the spread will result in 2nd and 3rd chain infections potentially resulting in deaths to more vulnerable people.

I'm in my 40s and a bit overweight, but really I'm not as concerned about myself as passing the virus to my 87 y.o. mother in law or parents in their 70s.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Robert Healey was AWESOME! Very smart guy. Besides almost winning the Lt. Gov race based on the idea of abolishing the position in 2010, he got 21% of the vote for Governor in 2014 spending only $35.00 on his campaign. It's too bad he passed away, honestly that show's he was actually electable. Chafee won with 36% in 2010

"In September 2014, Healey announced he was running for governor as a Moderate Party candidate. His announcement came after the original Moderate nominee, James Spooner, withdrew from the race for health reasons. Healey stated he would not accept any funding, instead opting for a "guerilla campaign" for a "cerebral revolution". Shortly after he filed his candidacy, the Rhode Island GOP challenged the legality of the move on procedural grounds. The state board of elections found that Healey was in fact eligible to replace Spooner on the ballot. Healey spent a total of only $35.31 on his entire gubernatorial campaign, which he said went to purchase a prepaid mobile phone and a phone card, items he purchased himself. Healey's only advertisement during the campaign was a minimalist billboard featuring a caricature of his face, which he painted himself on the side of his friend's house overlooking Interstate 95 in Providence. Healey came in 3rd with 21.4% of the election votes." Eyewitness news WPRI
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Just wear a mask and social distance when you can and if you feel comfortable doing so. Otherwise, enjoy the summer.
2 x
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Yes, I agree, but like I said with that ignoramus from the NK Walmart: act ignorant in public like the pandemic never happened and you think you can just simply go back to hacking in people's faces whenever you feel like it, and expect to be completely called on in in public, with the biggest scene one can muster.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I avoid places where I need to wear a mask. If I have to go to the store, I'll wear one. I won't wear one at the beach since people better be sitting 6 feet away from me.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just reporting what is going on elsewhere. I will refrain from making comments as I am by no means an expert on infectious diseases. My guess is that others however will feel the need to let everyone know how they personally feel about this (as if their opinion had any real relevance).

0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'm sure the endowment Bowdoin has could keep them afloat even taking 3 years of online learning.

I won't add my opinion of the negative impact on students that will continue their academic schedule this year without in person classes.
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Wow, that is big that Bowdoin has canceled fall sports!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Honestly at this point - fall sports that aren’t D1 football should be cancelled on the collegiate level. It is going to be unworkable. D1 football will be tough but at least there is a financial reason to do it.
0 x