2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago It be nice to get a home and home with Boston College while we have the connection there.
It'd also be nice to add an immediately eligible forward to the team for next season.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Well, UMass won the last three match-ups. It looks like they played pretty much every year from 1995 to 2014, and from 1963 to 1978. It seems like a natural sort of rivalry to me. We're probably not going to play UConn now because Hurley is coaching them, but as a fan of a team that didn't get games against the Huskies, I can understand the frustration. (And BC is by no means UConn, since the Eagles have seemingly been floundering since letting go of Al Skinner.)
Things change, like the advent of 20 game league schedules. UMass has not been any good for the last 6 years, they have not earned a game with BC.
You can certainly argue that - You could also look at last seasons schedule and argue what have South Florida and DePaul done in the last 6 years to "earn" games as well. One program is 26-82 in the last 6 years in their conference, the other is 24-84 in their last 6 years in their conference. You could argue why did they travel all the way to California for a neutral court game against the Cal Bears? Cal won 16 total games the two years prior and were on to a new coach. For that matter, you could argue what did Richmond do to deserve a game last year? The two prior seasons they had KenPom's of 181 and 203. They didn't exactly schedule a gauntlet of elite competition. Don't think it's wrong to call it for what it is.
Because why play an A10 team when you can play a PAC12. While Cal wasn't good, they theoretically have more chances at better wins in a given year than UMass does.
This year Dayton was an anomaly for the A10, and the PAC12 had a down year. Most other years, that would be a relatively sound decision.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am pleasantly surprised with the last few games we have added - schedule looks good overall
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Random thought. With plane travel now being an issue is having a train station in Kingston one of the reasons for BC and Seton Hall to schedule home and home games. Real easy ride for BC to Kingston. I’m not sure about Seton Hall. If so, who else could we target? St Johns make sense.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago Random thought. With plane travel now being an issue is having a train station in Kingston one of the reasons for BC and Seton Hall to schedule home and home games. Real easy ride for BC to Kingston. I’m not sure about Seton Hall. If so, who else could we target? St Johns make sense.
URI would have always been open to doing a home and home series with teams such as Seton Hall and BC. In the past, these teams however were not as open to the prospect. I agree with your premise that the short travel desired in the midst of a pandemic likely brought these series about. In any other era, they may not have as easily occurred.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago
Tweet was taken down what did it say?
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I was tempted to go to the BC game but traveling the Boston to Providence corridor the day before Thanksgiving is pretty much nightmare fuel
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I really enjoy watching Rhody win at Conte forum.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

damram wrote: 3 years ago I really enjoy watching Rhody win at Conte forum.
Rhody is 3-2 all-time at Conte having won the last two. Would also not be the first Wednesday before Thanksgiving game for BC and URI as I recall a late afternoon game there back in 2007.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
damram wrote: 3 years ago I really enjoy watching Rhody win at Conte forum.
Rhody is 3-2 all-time at Conte having won the last two. Would also not be the first Wednesday before Thanksgiving game for BC and URI as I recall a late afternoon game there back in 2007.
Was that the Outerbridge coming out party?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago I was tempted to go to the BC game but traveling the Boston to Providence corridor the day before Thanksgiving is pretty much nightmare fuel
It could be better than most years if people are still working remotely and can travel out sooner, but agree those are the worst days to get out of the city.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s not a bad schedule right there
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

As someone with family in Naples, FL I feel like I have been talking about visiting and going to this game for something like five years now.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote: 3 years ago
As someone with family in Naples, FL I feel like I have been talking about visiting and going to this game for something like five years now.
And One
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

STC wrote: 3 years ago
If this ever happens, it's about 2 1/2 hours from my in laws in Miami....might have to schedule a trip. The way we do things, it's our turn to be in Miami for Thanksgiving 2021, so if the game is around TG, then I hope to be there!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Are there now only three games for the tourney - one at a campus site and two at Mohegan Sun?

The new rules going forward will only allow for three MTE games but I thought this tournament was exempt for next year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I thought our game against Quinnipiac was part of this tournament. Maybe that game actually was scheduled independently or isn't happening now
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago I thought our game against Quinnipiac was part of this tournament. Maybe that game actually was scheduled independently or isn't happening now
I thought so too, but it looks like only 4 games will be played outside of the Mohegan Sun:

SPRINGFIELD BRACKET
All Games at Mohegan Sun Arena

Saturday, November 21
Lehigh vs Quinnipiac
Albany vs LIU

Sunday, November 22
Springfield Championship Game
Springfield Consolation Game

CAMPUS ROUND GAMES

November 14
University of Albany AT Marquette University

November 17
Long Island University AT University of Minnesota

November 18
Lehigh University AT University of Rhode Island
Quinnipiac University AT University of Central Florida
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 0604junfd1

QU game is happening, though not officially part of the tournament.
0 x
Go Rhody
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I got the email too.

Seton Hall, Boise State Highlight Non-Conference Home Slate for 2020-21

Looks like Boise State is Sunday 12/6, not 12/5 so there's a day between the game at PC and the home game vs. Boise State.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Seems like a so-so home slate. Some big names, mostly meh. But, at this point, Id be content with watching them play South Kingston High.
2 x
GO RAMS
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

How do we keep screwing up the exempt tournament thing and getting capped at 30? How often does this happen elsewhere?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I dont think that is fair to say this year about the 30 games on schedule. Im pretty sure the NCAA had a ruling change on how the games are counted for MTE.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago I dont think that is fair to say this year about the 30 games on schedule. Im pretty sure the NCAA had a ruling change on how the games are counted for MTE.
This is correct.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Does the rule change mean that everyone is capped at 30 now?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Thank you to Bill Koch for coming here regularly with info !!!
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All 8 Teams in the Hall of Fame Tournament will play 3 games. 1 game will be on a Campus for each team.

In reading the NCAA Rules for MTE’s it still looks to me like all 8 of these Teams can play up to 31 Regular Season Games. I don’t see the 30 game limit. What am I missing?

NAISMITH BRACKET
All Games at Mohegan Sun Arena

Saturday, November 21
Marquette vs Rhode Island
Minnesota vs UCF

Sunday, November 22
Naismith Championship Game (TV TBD)
Naismith Consolation Game (TV TBD)

SPRINGFIELD BRACKET - All Games at Mohegan Sun Arena

Saturday, November 21
Lehigh vs Quinnipiac
Albany vs LIU

Sunday, November 22
Springfield Championship Game
Springfield Consolation Game

CAMPUS ROUND GAMES
November 14 University of Albany AT Marquette University

November 17 Long Island University AT University of Minnesota

November 18
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

2 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Does the rule change mean that everyone is capped at 30 now?
The rule change is covered here. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... t-proposal

In this specific case -- URI is playing Quinnipiac in a nonbracketed game. Playing any team from your MTE field in a nonbracketed game -- one which is not officially associated with the tournament, like the URI game with Lehigh -- takes away your chance to schedule an extra game. The math becomes 27+3 instead of 27+4.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bill Koch wrote: 3 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Does the rule change mean that everyone is capped at 30 now?
The rule change is covered here. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... t-proposal

In this specific case -- URI is playing Quinnipiac in a nonbracketed game. Playing any team from your MTE field in a nonbracketed game -- one which is not officially associated with the tournament, like the URI game with Lehigh -- takes away your chance to schedule an extra game. The math becomes 27+3 instead of 27+4.
But all the teams in the Tournament are only playing 3 games. It is a 3 game MTE.

So does URI playing Quinnipiac mean URI plays only 30 games but the other 7 teams get to play 31? as long as they don't play any of the other 7 teams in the same MTE Tournament?

Seems odd to me.

And if that is the case then URI made the choice to play Quinnipiac meaning they would only play 30 games. If URI had chosen to play a team outside of the MTE they could have still played 31?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I believe the following is the new rule in a nutshell:

In past years, you could play 27 games + 4 associated with a tournament.

That forced teams to have to play non-bracketed tournament games within a specific window to count as tournament games towards the additional 4.

The new proposed system of 28+3 or 29+2 is focused only on bracketed games -- 31 games total.

So because Mohegan is only a four team bracketed tournament (semis/finals), URI would fall into the "29+2" category.

Any additional games may be grandfathered in due to previously released schedules prior to rule change, but I believe URI would remain eligible for 31.

I thought the vote passed for next season, although I couldn't find any information about final passage.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't get these complicated NCAA maximum number of games rules. If URI is capped at 30, why then is fellow HOF Tip-Off participant Marquette allowed 31 games? They have 11 OOC games and will play 20 Big East conference games.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I believe the following is the new rule in a nutshell:

That forced teams to have to play non-bracketed tournament games within a specific window to count as tournament games towards the additional 4.

The new proposed system of 28+3 or 29+2 is focused only on bracketed games -- 31 games total.

So because Mohegan is only a four team bracketed tournament (semis/finals), URI would fall into the "29+2" category.

Any additional games may be grandfathered in due to previously released schedules prior to rule change, but I believe URI would remain eligible for 31.

I thought the vote passed for next season, although I couldn't find any information about final passage.
In a “nutshell”? The NCAA doesn’t do anything in a nutshell.

I believe the fact that Quinnipiac plays in the Mohegan Dun Tournament AND URI plays Quinnipiac in a game outside of the Hall of Fame Tournament is the reason URI is limited to 30 games.

All the other teams in the Mohegan Tournament can play 31 games EXCEPT URI and Quinnipiac

Nothing is simple if the NCAA Rules Committee is involved.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago I don't get these complicated NCAA maximum number of games rules. If URI is capped at 30, why then is fellow HOF Tip-Off participant Marquette allowed 31 games? They have 11 OOC games and will play 20 Big East conference games.

Because Marquette did not choose to play another team in the Tournament outside of the Tournament

URI is playing Quinnipiac outside of the HOF Tournament

So URI and Quinnipiac can only play 30 games. The other 6 teams can play 31.

URI will play Lehigh as part of the HOF Mohegan Classic

URI will play Quinnipiac outside of the HOF

This limits URI to 30 games. Does it make sense?

Write Dan Gavitt.

Could also drop the Quinnipiac game and get 31 games. Or move Quinnipiac to a future year.

University of Albany AT Marquette UniversityLong Island University AT University of Minnesota
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Can we get a quick re-cap on the 30 vs 31 please?
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I believe the following is the new rule in a nutshell:

In a “nutshell”? The NCAA doesn’t do anything in a nutshell.

I believe the fact that Quinnipiac plays in the Mohegan Dun Tournament AND URI plays Quinnipiac in a game outside of the Hall of Fame Tournament is the reason URI is limited to 30 games.

All the other teams in the Mohegan Tournament can play 31 games EXCEPT URI and Quinnipiac

Nothing is simple if the NCAA Rules Committee is involved.
I just don't think that makes any sense ... The Quinnipiac Mohegan Sun game was probably one of the grandfathered games, and it would make URI fall under the "28+3" in the new system, not the 27+4 of the old system. That's the likely reason why URI's game against Lehigh was changed from a Mohegan Sun designation, because there is no such thing as 27+4 anymore, although both teams decided to still play each other since the game had already been scheduled. So URI should be able to play 31 games, just like everyone else in a tournament setting.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Marquette also has TWO home games versus HOF Tip-Off participants (Lehigh and Albany). Only its Albany contest is designated as a tournament game. It is the exact same scenario as URI hosting TWO HOF Tip-Off participants - Lehigh and Quinnipiac. Only Lehigh is a designated tournament game for Rhody. Marquette however somehow gets 31 games while URI will only play 30.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Can we get a quick re-cap on the 30 vs 31 please?
I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not, but assuming you are not:

Under the old scheduling system, teams could only play 31 regular season games if they played 4 tournament-sanctioned games (27+4).

That meant if you played in a 4-team bracketed event (2 games), you could play up to 2 additional on-campus games against other tournament opponents, or if you were in an 8-team bracketed event (3 games), you could play 1 additional on-campus game against another tournament opponent. That would get you to 4 total tournament-sanctioned games, and the ability to schedule a full 31 game schedule.

If a team like URI only scheduled one additional on-campus tournament game while playing only two games at the actual tournament, that would cap their regular season schedule at 30 games (27+3). An example of this would be last season, where URI played at the Jamaica Classic against North Texas and LSU, and only played one on-campus game against Nicholls St. They could have only played a 13th OOC game had they been able to schedule a 4th game against one of the other Jamaica Classic teams.

The NCAA changed their rules to allow for more flexibility, where teams who play in tournaments can play schedules of 29+2 or 28+3, depending on how many games are in their tournament bracket ... I.E. - They are removing the need to play on-campus games and giving teams the flexibility to schedule whoever they want, whenever they want, to get to 31 games. Using last season's example, URI would fall in a 29+2 scenario, where they could play 13 OOC games just by playing the games against North Texas and LSU in Jamaica, and not having to worry about scheduling other on-campus tournament games.

Because many tournaments had already scheduled on-campus games for next season, there was a lot of grandfathering that will take place for next season, but teams in tournament settings are all eligible to play 31 games, as they'll all fill 29+2 or 28+3 requirements.

There will be no such thing as the 27+4 anymore. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding from all the documents on this I have read.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So RJ,

How do you explain this?

Limit of 30 games?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Can we get a quick re-cap on the 30 vs 31 please?
I'm not sure if you are being facetious or not, but assuming you are not:

Under the old scheduling system, teams could only play 31 regular season games if they played 4 tournament-sanctioned games (27+4).

That meant if you played in a 4-team bracketed event (2 games), you could play up to 2 additional on-campus games against other tournament opponents, or if you were in an 8-team bracketed event (3 games), you could play 1 additional on-campus game against another tournament opponent. That would get you to 4 total tournament-sanctioned games, and the ability to schedule a full 31 game schedule.

If a team like URI only scheduled one additional on-campus tournament game while playing only two games at the actual tournament, that would cap their regular season schedule at 30 games (27+3). An example of this would be last season, where URI played at the Jamaica Classic against North Texas and LSU, and only played one on-campus game against Nicholls St. They could have only played a 13th OOC game had they been able to schedule a 4th game against one of the other Jamaica Classic teams.

The NCAA changed their rules to allow for more flexibility, where teams who play in tournaments can play schedules of 29+2 or 28+3, depending on how many games are in their tournament bracket ... I.E. - They are removing the need to play on-campus games and giving teams the flexibility to schedule whoever they want, whenever they want, to get to 31 games. Using last season's example, URI would fall in a 29+2 scenario, where they could play 13 OOC games just by playing the games against North Texas and LSU in Jamaica, and not having to worry about scheduling other on-campus tournament games.

Because many tournaments had already scheduled on-campus games for next season, there was a lot of grandfathering that will take place for next season, but teams in tournament settings are all eligible to play 31 games, as they'll all fill 29+2 or 28+3 requirements.

There will be no such thing as the 27+4 anymore. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding from all the documents on this I have read.
I was...but I think it's clear, there's no such thing as a 'quick re-cap'...
0 x