Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Ok come back in two months and we’ll see the death toll from COVID.

So far, you saying it’s just like the flu is so off base, ignorant, and just plain stupid.

Flu, 6 months: 61K deaths

COVID, 4 months: 100K deaths

So again, come post about this is two months when the seasons are equal in length to see how further wrong you are when the COVID death toll is even higher.
Took a break from this site for a few days. I would say I would come back in two months, but Rhode Island stopped posting covid info about a week ago. No death updates or new infections. But I did spend some maskless time at the bar at Arturo Joe's and the comedy was a group of guys were cheering on the Corn Hole tournament. Hysterical. The new National Pastime. Corn Hole.

Also, did you see the Gov out in the crowds for the protest with no mask on surrounded by people about 8 inches from her face???? Yeah.
Governor does a stupid thing so now the virus is a hoax? Gotcha.
The virus is about 2X worse than the normal flu. That's all I'm saying. And where did I say it's a hoax? But hey, put yer mask on and stay home.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Flu, 6 months: 61K deaths no precautions, no social distancing , free access, no masks.

COVID, 3 months: 110k deaths shelter in place, masks, social distancing, shutdown everything, etc.

Without the drastic measures taken - 200+K dead ...easily. And it’s only been 3 months.

It’s no joke ... no hoax...
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago Flu, 6 months: 61K deaths no precautions, no social distancing , free access, no masks.

COVID, 3 months: 110k deaths shelter in place, masks, social distancing, shutdown everything, etc.

Without the drastic measures taken - 200+K dead ...easily. And it’s only been 3 months.

It’s no joke ... no hoax...
But, we're ready to get out and get to games and concerts again, er, I mean... 'protest'.
I said the other day that I thought sports would lead us back...might be the protests...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We’re also adapted to the influenza flu and have a flu shot. So it’s that vs Covid which has never existed with zero defense tactics until we figured out what the hell was going on. Those aspects have to be accounted for when comparing viruses.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We also should compare the number of infections for the "regular" flu and covid 19.

How many are infected yearly in the US with the regular flu? 20-40 million?

So far, 2 million cases of covid 19, although the actual number might be double that, counting for those who don't
show symptoms.

So if we were to have 20 million covid 19 infections, how many deaths?

Probably a million or close to it.

Saying covid 19 is only 2x as lethal as the regular flu is WAY off base.

Covid is easily 10X more lethal, maybe more.

These are the facts, people.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Original CDC Number was that the US would incur 2,400,000 Covid deaths if nothing was done such as:
social distancing of 6 feet minimum
washing hand more often
shelter in placewearing masks
closing schools
closing businesses
closing parks and beaches
no baseball, football, hockey, basketball, etc at professional, college, high school or youth levels
closing nursing and assisted living facilities to visitors
flights, buses, trains operating at 5% capacity

my guess is the 2,400,000 original estimate from doing nothing different was low

IF we had done nothing and incurred the 2,400,000 deaths then most people surviving would likely have immunity so life could go on as normal in the US

Problem now is a small percentage have immunity and we still must all live under the threat and fear of Covid-19. In the end we may all end up getting it anyway.

The original goal was to "flatten the curve" which you don't hear about much any more.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

These protests might actually act as a true test to see how its spreading in a warmer month. A protest with yelling and chanting is probably even more infectious then fans sitting in a stadium/Arena. Hopefully everyone okay though.
1 x
GO RAMS
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

While it's true that the people dying are predominately the elderly, there's also a whole slew of possibly permanent secondary issues that it's causing, even in younger people.

It's no flu. A guy down the road from me went in for back surgery in March. He found out 2 weeks later that his surgeon had it, and then he started showing symptoms. He died last week, 49 years old.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Thats terrible news URI_05. Sorry for the loss.

Interesting article just popped up though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asympto ... ter%7Cmain
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Thats terrible news URI_05. Sorry for the loss.

I'm sorry WHO said that?
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Took a break from this site for a few days. I would say I would come back in two months, but Rhode Island stopped posting covid info about a week ago. No death updates or new infections. But I did spend some maskless time at the bar at Arturo Joe's and the comedy was a group of guys were cheering on the Corn Hole tournament. Hysterical. The new National Pastime. Corn Hole.

Also, did you see the Gov out in the crowds for the protest with no mask on surrounded by people about 8 inches from her face???? Yeah.
The virus is about 2X worse than the normal flu. That's all I'm saying. And where did I say it's a hoax? But hey, put yer mask on and stay home.
I'll put aside for a moment that the fatalities being 2X the normal flu season WITH social distancing, WITH masks, and WITH the stay at home orders means Covid is a WAY higher magnitude from the flu...

Trying to understand here: So what is it, a hoax the government is perpetrating for the citizens to fall in line, or are you purposefully exaggerating that the virus is "about 2X worse than the normal flu"? Because even I, as falling on the liberal side who thinks some government control is not a bad thing, would be friggen rioting at the state house (due to this, not the BLM marches) if I thought the virus was only twice as bad as the flu. Or else you have the most Zen-like temperament we've ever seen and can bend into submission even with knowing how much everyone is overreacting. And if you think the science is wrong and the government is following the wrong science but not out of intentionally controlling the population, then what is the "right" science you can point us to?
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Thats terrible news URI_05. Sorry for the loss.

I'm sorry WHO said that?
Wacka wacka.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago While it's true that the people dying are predominately the elderly, there's also a whole slew of possibly permanent secondary issues that it's causing, even in younger people.

It's no flu. A guy down the road from me went in for back surgery in March. He found out 2 weeks later that his surgeon had it, and then he started showing symptoms. He died last week, 49 years old.
Very sorry URI_05. If govt reacted quickly at the start of March, then the people saying we overreacted would only increase because the deaths would be so much less, and that would be a good byproduct! If we were sitting at 10,000 deaths instead of 100,000 by all means the freedom fighters can flame away. But "we" waited a few weeks after seeing the tip of the iceberg, unfortunately.
Last edited by rhodyruckus 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'll put aside for a moment that the fatalities being 2X the normal flu season WITH social distancing, WITH masks, and WITH the stay at home orders means Covid is a WAY higher magnitude from the flu...

Trying to understand here: So what is it, a hoax the government is perpetrating for the citizens to fall in line, or are you purposefully exaggerating that the virus is "about 2X worse than the normal flu"? Because even I, as falling on the liberal side who thinks some government control is not a bad thing, would be friggen rioting at the state house (due to this, not the BLM marches) if I thought the virus was only twice as bad as the flu. Or else you have the most Zen-like temperament we've ever seen and can bend into submission even with knowing how much everyone is overreacting. And if you think the science is wrong and the government is following the wrong science but not out of intentionally controlling the population, then what is the "right" science you can point us to?
Here in RI...our "state of emergency" has been extended until 7/5 ...why?
Because we know the emergency won't be over til then?
No...

"so the state can remain eligible for federal resources"

https://www.abc6.com/raimondo-extends-r ... y-to-july/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

No...

https://www.abc6.com/raimondo-extends-r ... y-to-july/
Gotta love this

As a reminder, this order requires everyone in Rhode Island to wear face coverings while in public places when social distancing can’t be maintained.Raimondo said on Friday that state inspectors continue to see great compliance with Rhode Islanders wearing face coverings.

0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

For those in the "we totally overreacted" camp.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... reddit.com
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

No...

The two reports on the effectiveness of the shutdowns come with a clear warning that the pandemic, even if in retreat in some of the places hardest hit, is far from over. The overwhelming majority of people remain susceptible to the virus. Only about 3 percent to 4 percent of people in the countries being studied have been infected to date, said Samir Bhatt, senior author of the Imperial College London study.

This is just the beginning of the epidemic: we’re very far from herd immunity,” Bhatt said Monday in an email. “The risk of a second wave happening if all interventions and precautions are abandoned is very real.”
They estimated that the United States, had it not imposed shutdowns and other measures, would have seen an additional 4.8 million diagnosed infections and 60 million actual infections.

Gina screws up and drops the ball on her own orders and then everything that was done is bullshit.
This is not over. I love how people use the effectiveness of the precaution's taken to prove that we didn't need to take them
and this was all over-blown and one lapse of judgment by a public official invalidates everything that was done and becomes
some f'ing conspiracy theory.
The science is science, fact is fact and no matter how much someone gets on TV and says it will all be over by June 1st it's not.
Pay attention because the person you kill by ignoring precautions may be your mother, or your father or your grand parents.
Tell me how you feel about it then with their blood on your hands or is it Gina's fault for not wearing her mask on tv?
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Come on, Chico. Emotions and undying faith to people who tell you they're smart always 'trump' facts and science. (sarcasm font in full force)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think it's great that Gina enforces wearing masks. Great that RI leads the US BY FAR in testing per 100,000 residents. She strongly enforces mask wearing.

I find myself going into stores having forgotten to put my mask on. I am embarrassed to an extent and quickly put it on. But for sure I notice others if they don't have one on.

So what surprises and disappoints me most is not Gina not wearing her mask but the fact that so many around her have no mask including the State Trooper and many others. While she may have forgotten hers, she should have been telling the others to put theirs on. Heck with the masks, what happened to the 6 foot social distancing? The picture says a 1000 words.

0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago For those in the "we totally overreacted" camp.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... reddit.com
I am not in the we overreacted camp - but I am in the camp that we have been in shutdown mode too long. The idea was never that no person would die of the disease, that is a ridiculous standard so people touting that are wrong. The idea was allegedly to flatten the curve so less people die from the surge. We achieved that in early April, yet it is June and we are still basically quarantined and will never get out of it at this point.

We need to reopen (with some precautions but nothing insane - let people keep working from home and stagger office building use where the spread will be high sitting next to a sick person for 8 hours). Then be prepared to shutdown again to flatten the next curve if the hospital population increases again. We ride this thing like a wave until there is an effective vaccine or treatment because no one knows when that will be.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago We need to reopen (with some precautions but nothing insane - let people keep working from home and stagger office building use where the spread will be high sitting next to a sick person for 8 hours). Then be prepared to shutdown again to flatten the next curve if the hospital population increases again. We ride this thing like a wave until there is an effective vaccine or treatment because no one knows when that will be.
That's literally what is going to happen based upon the plans laid out by the state. Are you just disagreeing with the timeline? You wanted precautions lifted a few weeks ago instead of likely a few weeks from now?

If it's just the timeline you disagree with, I'm going to side with the folks who have a lot more insight/information regarding how to balance the science of the pandemic with the economic consequences.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’ve agreed and thought Gina has done very well with the response to the pandemic and her plan has been working, but she lost almost all credibility when she went to the protest without a mask on.

People who were on the fence about the mask wearing probably saw her and went, “Well if she’s telling us to wear a mask but she isn’t at a protest, why the hell should I?”

Can’t fault those people who saw her do that and are now refusing to wear a mask.

I’ll still be wearing one, but I can’t fault people who don’t wear one anymore after Gina’s mistake.
0 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Agree 15, I'll still be wearing mine, but this to me is similar to the Alabama basketball program gaff, you follow all the protocols right along and then when you're approaching the home stretch you figure the heck with it roll some dice. Gina had been doing pretty well through this pandemic event in my opinion, definitely holding her own, now, as has been noted, she has eroded any credibility she had with those on the fence regarding the current mask order. I found myself trusting her, watching or listening to her presser every day, seeing her disregard things she has been talking about for months makes her less of an authority and more of a politician.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

sf2010 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago We need to reopen (with some precautions but nothing insane - let people keep working from home and stagger office building use where the spread will be high sitting next to a sick person for 8 hours). Then be prepared to shutdown again to flatten the next curve if the hospital population increases again. We ride this thing like a wave until there is an effective vaccine or treatment because no one knows when that will be.
That's literally what is going to happen based upon the plans laid out by the state. Are you just disagreeing with the timeline? You wanted precautions lifted a few weeks ago instead of likely a few weeks from now?

If it's just the timeline you disagree with, I'm going to side with the folks who have a lot more insight/information regarding how to balance the science of the pandemic with the economic consequences.
Yes - the difference is I don’t think the politicians have the spine to tell the truth that we are reopening even though there is still risk. By staying closed longer we did not eliminate the risk. There will always be risk.

The point of the shutdown was to stop the surge. That was done in April. We will have another surge and more shutdowns if the hospitals get crowded (hopefully more targeted to communities that are affected). Ride the wave.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago I think it's great that Gina enforces wearing masks. Great that RI leads the US BY FAR in testing per 100,000 residents. She strongly enforces mask wearing.

I find myself going into stores having forgotten to put my mask on. I am embarrassed to an extent and quickly put it on. But for sure I notice others if they don't have one on.

So what surprises and disappoints me most is not Gina not wearing her mask but the fact that so many around her have no mask including the State Trooper and many others. While she may have forgotten hers, she should have been telling the others to put theirs on. Heck with the masks, what happened to the 6 foot social distancing? The picture says a 1000 words.

The picture says, in much less than 1,000 words...'peaceful protesting - with or without masks and social distancing - is more important than masks or social distancing'
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I did not attend the last few URI basketball home games lat year because of COVID19. I doubt that I will be attending any games this coming season. URI should suspend all athletic programs until an effective vaccine is readily available. All resident halls should only have single rooms only, and be run similar to hotels. Students should visit campus a few times each semester for 2-3 days. All classes should be online with lab time scheduled for when they are on campus, URI has been developing online learning for well over a decade. I don't worry about students adapting to this environment. The number of faculty fossils that remain must be few in number. In the future, this scenario may very well become the norm for public higher education.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I did not attend the last few URI basketball home games lat year because of COVID19. I doubt that I will be attending any games this coming season. URI should suspend all athletic programs until an effective vaccine is readily available. All resident halls should only have single rooms only, and be run similar to hotels. Students should visit campus a few times each semester for 2-3 days. All classes should be online with lab time scheduled for when they are on campus, URI has been developing online learning for well over a decade. I don't worry about students adapting to this environment. The number of faculty fossils that remain must be few in number. In the future, this scenario may very well become the norm for public higher education.
So you want to shut everything down and stay in your house until a vaccine is ready that may never happen? Each person has their own ways on this and what makes them feel comfortable, but asking kids to pay $30k-$75k in some cases per year to do online schooling as a safety precaution is a little much to me. Will the on line learning provide the social skills and interaction needed for students. I take precautions, but am ready to get things back to a slow normal starting now.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Just read Alton Jones was ready to roll and got shut down

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/we ... es-campus/

Took the first ride of the season to the pier in the convertible last night. Packed much more than normal for a Tuesday night. Counted 4 face coverings out of well over 1000 people. Needless to say did not park the car for a walk.

3 weeks. We’ll see.If this covid19 thing doesn’t explode maybe we shall actually see some hoops.

B safe friends. I’m sitting it all out 3 more weeks.
Last edited by hrstrat57 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I did not attend the last few URI basketball home games lat year because of COVID19. I doubt that I will be attending any games this coming season. URI should suspend all athletic programs until an effective vaccine is readily available. All resident halls should only have single rooms only, and be run similar to hotels. Students should visit campus a few times each semester for 2-3 days. All classes should be online with lab time scheduled for when they are on campus, URI has been developing online learning for well over a decade. I don't worry about students adapting to this environment. The number of faculty fossils that remain must be few in number. In the future, this scenario may very well become the norm for public higher education.
What do you mean by the term “faculty fossils”?
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

sf2010 wrote: 3 years ago

I do not think the folks making the decisions have balanced long term consequences in a broad sense. Too much tunnel vision on COVID-19 and the politics have been front and center. Major power grab with trillions of additional dollars put under control of politicians and political appointees picking winners and losers. If this country actually paid its bills economic consequences might have been weighed differently. I am sure that the government has saved some lives that would have been lost to COVID-19 due to its actions but it will likely be a wash for long term health consequences due to many health procedures being delayed for other serious medical issues. It also is not good for the long-term strength of your immune system to live in a sterile environment. Have the mental health consequences been weighed properly?

There are plenty of freedom reducing actions that the government could do to save lives. They could lower the speed limit on all roads to 25 MPH. They could eliminate junk food, soft drinks, and smoking. Our country has a history of valuing freedom.

We do not live in a totally safe world. I'm all for washing hands frequently and avoiding handshakes. People should not circulate among other people when they are sick. Telework is great. We have had plenty of time to procure PPE and build additional hospital bed capacity. We have wide spread testing availability. People should have the freedom to voluntarily resume activities. They can make their own risk calculus. Student athletes should be able to compete on a voluntary basis.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I have absolutely no problem with your choice to opt out of activities. I am not sure why you want to limit others choice to opt in to a normal university experience. There are plenty of online universities for those who choose that path.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago I think it's great that Gina enforces wearing masks. Great that RI leads the US BY FAR in testing per 100,000 residents. She strongly enforces mask wearing.

The picture says, in much less than 1,000 words...'peaceful protesting - with or without masks and social distancing - is more important than masks or social distancing'
SHE IS OUT THERE GETTING PEOPLE KILLED.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago

I have absolutely no problem with your choice to opt out of activities. I am not sure why you want to limit others choice to opt in to a normal university experience. There are plenty of online universities for those who choose that path.
Congregate living will be unhealthy until an effective vaccine or treatment is readily available. Else, should students be quarantined when they go home or before they go out in public?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

So instead of having perfectly healthy young adults living amongst thenselves while being on campus (which for our university is pretty isolated as it is), lets keep them at home with their parents who go to work and possibly come home with it anyway to infect them.

At least on campus you can have readily available screening centers, have temperature screening prior entering classrooms, the ability to put in all kinda kf policies and procedures to minimize spread within the population. If anything, we should be begging universities that are located outside of major cities to open back up. I could argue you are far and away likelier to be exposed to the virus in most places of NY/NJ/CT suburbs than you are in Kingston, and that it would be easier to contain kids who test positive at URI.

You could even have an entire dorm specifically to isolate Covid positive students during a quarantine. All you have to do is think outside the box a little.

Professor doesnt want to potentially expose themselves to the virus? There are going to be plenty of professors out there with smaller schools shutting down.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago So instead of having perfectly healthy young adults living amongst thenselves while being on campus (which for our university is pretty isolated as it is), lets keep them at home with their parents who go to work and possibly come home with it anyway to infect them.

At least on campus you can have readily available screening centers, have temperature screening prior entering classrooms, the ability to put in all kinda kf policies and procedures to minimize spread within the population. If anything, we should be begging universities that are located outside of major cities to open back up. I could argue you are far and away likelier to be exposed to the virus in most places of NY/NJ/CT suburbs than you are in Kingston, and that it would be easier to contain kids who test positive at URI.

You could even have an entire dorm specifically to isolate Covid positive students during a quarantine. All you have to do is think outside the box a little.

Professor doesnt want to potentially expose themselves to the virus? There are going to be plenty of professors out there with smaller schools shutting down.
The University campus itself is somewhat isolated - but more than 50% of students live down the line and commute to campus. There is not enough on-campus housing for anything close to all undergraduates, even if they lived in 3-person rooms.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago You could even have an entire dorm specifically to isolate Covid positive students during a quarantine. All you have to do is think outside the box a little.
I think this is too simplistic of a view.

I believe the average person is pre-symptomatic and is reported to be most transmissible for 2 or 3 days, before they become symptomatic.

That is 2-3 days of Joe Schmo going to classes, going dining or the gym or the library, going to football or basketball games, etc.

So once Joe Schmo has symptoms, you can easily isolate him, but how many other people has he spread it to? And how many of those people have subsequently gone to off-campus restaurants, bars, parties, family events, etc.?
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I too am guilty of believing that Gina Raimondo was doing a bang up job with the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Right up until last week and this incident. She says it was "a heat of the moment thing". I call B.S. It wasn't a heat of the moment thing. She was showing outstanding leadership qualities up until that point, but all of that takes a back seat to her true nature which decided to make an appearance that night. It's been dying to come out and show it's face, she's been suppressing it for the last few months, and this presented the perfect opportunity to do so.

Disappointing, to say the least.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago You could even have an entire dorm specifically to isolate Covid positive students during a quarantine. All you have to do is think outside the box a little.

I believe the average person is pre-symptomatic and is reported to be most transmissible for 2 or 3 days, before they become symptomatic.

That is 2-3 days of Joe Schmo going to classes, going dining or the gym or the library, going to football or basketball games, etc.

So once Joe Schmo has symptoms, you can easily isolate him, but how many other people has he spread it to? And how many of those people have subsequently gone to off-campus restaurants, bars, parties, family events, etc.?
Haven't the latest studies shown that the spread among asymptomatic people is rare?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

Haven't the latest studies shown that the spread among asymptomatic people is rare?
Asymptomatic are people who are carriers but will never show symptoms.
Pre-symptomatic are people who are carriers and will eventually show symptoms.
My understanding from the study was that it was talking about the asymptomatic types.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

What if Joe Schmo is wearing a mask? Plenty of busy streets and tourist areas right now. Same as a college campus.
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago What if Joe Schmo is wearing a mask? Plenty of busy streets and tourist areas right now. Same as a college campus.
Sure, if someone is policing 18,000 students to always be wearing masks, that would make things slightly better, but my thought is that in the next few months things are going to get better numerically and we are no longer going to be under requirement to wear masks. So if the state says no more mandatory mask wearing, is the school prepared to continue to enforce it?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Its good to know the truth about the death rate. Thats the main fear factor which does colossal damage to society.
0 x
GO RAMS
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

We probably won't know the true death rate/ count until a few years from now.
Any way you cut it Covid-19 is significantly worse than the seasonal influenza
even with all the precautions that have been taken to slow the spread.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I live in Mass and go by the Mass data - which I think is pretty detailed and we have had a "bad" outbreak. Again, not a hardo but also do not believe every headline in the paper that is sensationalizing this and honestly scaring people. Mass data as of June 9:

Total Deaths: 7,408
Age 80 plus: 4,619
NURSING HOMES DEATHS (includes people associated with those facilities like workers): 4,630

How many of the 4630 nursing home deaths were age 80 plus, it cannot be all 4630. I think a conservative estimate is 500 of the 4630 nursing home deaths were under the age of 80. That conservative estimate puts it at 70% of the people who died in Massachusetts are either over 80 or in a nursing home or both.

This does not mean we don't need to mindful and take some simple precautions to protect these vulnerable populations. I am all for wearing the mask in the grocery store and other stores but I do not see the justification for a 3 month shutdown in those numbers that we are just starting to crawl out of. Fear mongering will continue as the Washington Post put out an article about drastic upticks in hospitalizations in places like Texas. Big percentage increases!!! When the number starts low the increase will look "staggering" to people who do not read past the headlines to the actual numbers. So in a state with 29 million they now have a little over 2k people in the hospital after being open with little restrictions since the beginning of May.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The challenge is that while your numbers are right, the risk we have as a society is that the more people moving around, freely, with or even without mask, the more risk there is for community spread. While death or severe illness may not be likely for the younger folk, it does increase the risk for older or more vulnerable populations that places they still need to access -- supermarkets, doctor's office's, etc. -- have been polluted by COVID, or conversely, it increases the risk that I, a healthy person, pick it up, and then spread it to someone who is older and more vulnerable, whether a co-worker, family member, etc.

We also have to recognize that here in RI, and like most places in MA in the northeast, we are densely populated, so community spread is more likely and more significant due to the amount of people visiting locations. A state like Texas is very large, 268,597 square miles. RI is only 1,212 square miles. If you put RI's 1.01 million population and adjusted to account for Texas' 268,597 square miles, RI would have an adjusted population of nearly 224 million. So we are obviously a lot of people living in a little area, compared to Texas or many other mid-western states. That is why our concern needs to be slightly more elevated.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Gina announced today that schools will be open in the Fall.
1 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I live in Mass and go by the Mass data - which I think is pretty detailed and we have had a "bad" outbreak. Again, not a hardo but also do not believe every headline in the paper that is sensationalizing this and honestly scaring people. Mass data as of June 9:

Total Deaths: 7,408
Age 80 plus: 4,619
NURSING HOMES DEATHS (includes people associated with those facilities like workers): 4,630

How many of the 4630 nursing home deaths were age 80 plus, it cannot be all 4630. I think a conservative estimate is 500 of the 4630 nursing home deaths were under the age of 80. That conservative estimate puts it at 70% of the people who died in Massachusetts are either over 80 or in a nursing home or both.

This does not mean we don't need to mindful and take some simple precautions to protect these vulnerable populations. I am all for wearing the mask in the grocery store and other stores but I do not see the justification for a 3 month shutdown in those numbers that we are just starting to crawl out of. Fear mongering will continue as the Washington Post put out an article about drastic upticks in hospitalizations in places like Texas. Big percentage increases!!! When the number starts low the increase will look "staggering" to people who do not read past the headlines to the actual numbers. So in a state with 29 million they now have a little over 2k people in the hospital after being open with little restrictions since the beginning of May.
Just a question. Can you not look at it as 38% of the deaths were people under the age of 80? Basically youngsters.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Let's just wait till it's all said and done. The back and forth of Fauci( March..no mask, April...mask), the NEJM (May...masks do not help at all, June, err we meant masks help) and all the flip flop has me saying the people most are listening too are idiots. Never said a hoax. Just said coronavirus has been with us forever and there is no vaccine for any of it. But we can have a funeral with hundreds, if not thousands, for a man killed by a cop but I can't go to a family funeral? I call bullshit. And for laughs, when I get to go back to the office, everyone needs to wear masks in conference rooms, but then 15 of us can go to lunch and sit at the same table with no masks and eat and drink. Can't make this up.
2 x