'18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Syracuse ---> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: '18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketba ... eport.html

From Syracuse.com via zags

Sounds like a player expecting to be eligible in November!!

“Just coming from Syracuse and talking with the coaching staff at Rhode Island, they want me to come in and be that guy and play with Fatts Russell,” Carey said told Zagora. Carey was referring to Rhode Island junior Fatts Russell, who averaged 18.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.4 assists last season.
“Hopefully I’m able to come in right away. I feel like I can help that team a lot.”

Carey missed all but two games this past season due to an injured thumb. He had started in Syracuse’s two exhibitions and first two regular-season games before undergoing surgery. He is expected to receive a medical redshirt for the season.
Immediately after the season ended, Carey had announced his intention to transfer.
Carey, a native of New York City who played at Immaculate Conception High School in Montclair, New Jersey, appeared in 25 games as a freshman. He averaged 3.5 points and 1.6 rebounds.
Carey would have to sit out the 2020-21 season under NCAA rules regarding transfers; however, he is expected to apply for a waiver.
Carey would have three years of eligibility remaining if he receives a waiver. Otherwise, he would sit one year and have two left to play.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Re: '18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Syracuse Transfer)

Unread post by sevegny7 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago If nothing else, it’s to NEVER COUNT COACH COX AND HIS STAFF OUT. Has to be one the most resilient, hardest working groups in the country.
Couldnt agree more. This has to be a lesson to the fanbase. Remember 4 months ago when the sky was falling... how do you guys feel now. So important to remain patient and let the tremendous recruiter do his work before calling for his job or passing judgement. Now look at the guys he brought in to the guys leaving.

I'll take the guys coming in all day everyday. At this point URI can be considered one of the best transfer hauls this offseason. And completely retooling this roster in a matter of months.

This team next year (depending on the waiver decisions maybe this year but not sure) seems to be one of the deepest we have had in a long time. Stealing guys from power5 and reaching to talented recruits we normally cant get.

Dont hear the people saying there is something drastically wrong with this program now.

Cox simply adjust to the times and altered his recruiting strategy. Pluck a couple high major talent who was not given a proper opportunity and steal a couple from mid majors below that played well. Add a few freshman and there you go. This is the mold for him going forward.
7 x
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Whoever did that background deserves a raise. 10/10.
4 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: '18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Syracuse Transfer)

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago

That waiver would give him 6 years to play 4. It wouldn’t make him eligible in 20-21 though. Emmett Holt got the waiver for a 6th year. One of the Murphy’s got the 6th year waiver and their situation was like Carey’s - a medical redshirt and a transfer. I believe they did sit out the year they transferred.
I would think a medical redshirt by itself wouldn't warrant immediate eligiblity.

There would be a few ways to look at it:

1) If a medical redshirt transfers closer to home, they can now claim the same homesickness argument any other player could
2) They could argue that they only "medically redshirted" because their coach was trying to game their eligibility, and they could have played and the player now doesn't trust the coach

Perhaps there are other options, but I don't think the "I sat last year for my medical redshirt that should count as my year sitting as a transfer" is a valid reason for immediate eligibility.

I agree with Rhody83 on this, my only hesitation would be that in many of the situations listed above, the player lost the year of eligibility through the transfer/prior redshirt process, then was injured.

Alex Murphy transferred from Duke then was injured at Florida.
Holt lost a year in JUCO then was injured at PC.
Dylan Ennis was a transfer than was injured at Oregon.
Jalen Coleman-Lands was a transfer than was injured at DePaul.
KJ Walton was a transfer than was injured at Ball St.
Hank Hollingswroth was a redshirt than an injury at Cal-Poly.
Mike Thorne was a transfer than an injury at Illinois.
Scott Martin was a transfer than an injury at Notre Dame.
Vincent Eze was a tranfer than an injury at Maine.

None of the examples I found for men's basketball through a few pages of google searches had any players who got injured than transferred as getting an extra year of eligibility. My assumption for that may be that players don't know that they are going to get injured for an entire season, but if you've already sat one year, and transfer, you know the expectation in today's world is that you sit when you transfer.

I could be wrong, I just couldn't find any examples that fit.
It’s rare for a player to get injured and miss almost an entire season plus add in transferring.
In Carey’s case he played only 2 games then missed the entire season. Now he is transferring.
For sure he will get the medical redshirt. I seriously doubt the NCAA would make a decision that would result in a player missing 2 years of actual playing.

That would be brutal.
I agree on him getting the medical redshirt.
My point was more that I don’t believe medical redshirt = automatic waiver and that I’m not sure how that factors into a 6th year because I could not find any precedent for this specific situation (injured and then transferred).
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Great news! With Carey added to the rest of the roster this team is really setting up to be near the top of the A10 for the next few years.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Awesome decision Jalen!!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Fantastic news!!!
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

This was from the Syracuse board

MSOrange said:
Good luck to Jalen. Hopefully URI is a good fit. He handled himself very well here as far as I'm concerned and I wish him well.
Agree 100%. He could have sat on the bench and sulked after losing his starting role, but instead this kid was his teammates' biggest cheerleader on the sidelines.

Wish him well, and hope he kills it there.
11 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A tale as old as time.

A positive tweet about Rhody, and the first response to said tweet is a Friar troll.

Those people are absolutely pathetic.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Outstanding ! Yes Go Rhody!
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago This was from the Syracuse board

MSOrange said:
Good luck to Jalen. Hopefully URI is a good fit. He handled himself very well here as far as I'm concerned and I wish him well.
Agree 100%. He could have sat on the bench and sulked after losing his starting role, but instead this kid was his teammates' biggest cheerleader on the sidelines.

Wish him well, and hope he kills it there.
That's really good to hear. As great of a player Tyrese was, I really didn't like his attitude. We need more player "cheerleaders" on the bench. I feel like there wasn't enough of that last year.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Haven't been on the board much the past couple of days. Came on a little bit ago to read all the "he's delaying announcing a week" to "nevermind, announcing at 3" and going through all the posts. Was a roller coaster scroll for a few mins. So excited to land him!!!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

1. Carey is not any good.
2. You only get a sixth year if you missed both years for circumstances outside of your control. That is, missing two years because of injury or something else. The hope is that he gets the waiver to play immediately.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago 1. Carey is not any good.
2. You only get a sixth year if you missed both years for circumstances outside of your control. That is, missing two years because of injury or something else. The hope is that he gets the waiver to play immediately.
Happy Friday to you too sir!
5 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

do I have permission to unpump the brakes now?

Great job Coach Cox. Looking forward to a great run of Rhody hoops!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I like his chances to get a waiver seeing he only played two games before injury.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Lmao this is comical. At least your consistent. Not any good really? 🤦‍♂️ Could get the number one player in nation and let me guess he is no good.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1. You’re an asshat.
2. You’re an asshat. Squared.
14 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome news !! Great job Cox and staff
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

My assumption would be that you're looking at his freshman year stat line to make that judgement. It's not super impressive, but, he was at least in the rotation. Between dropping from the ACC to the A-10, his high recruiting profile going into his college career, and presumably getting much more regular minutes at URI, I definitely think he's worth using a scholarship on. I would think Carey is comparable to the Stanford Robinson and Kuran Iverson transfers - both were good starters / rotation cogs for URI at various points, with their ORtg and DRtg substantially improving at the school.
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
My assumption would be that you're looking at his freshman year stat line to make that judgement. It's not super impressive, but, he was at least in the rotation. Between dropping from the ACC to the A-10, his high recruiting profile going into his college career, and presumably getting much more regular minutes at URI, I definitely think he's worth using a scholarship on. I would think Carey is comparable to the Stanford Robinson and Kuran Iverson transfers - both were good starters / rotation cogs for URI at various points, with their ORtg and DRtg substantially improving at the school.
Agree with SG. Carey has potential. Well worth taking a chance on. He needs to prove it at the college level
Exciting opportunity.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Hopefully we hear from the NCAA in a timely manner, but their track-record in doing so hasn't been stellar (especially with all the waiver requests this year) . Also, I am not overly optimistic since many of their recent rulings have not been favorable.
0 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Below are his highlights from the high school NJ state championship/

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like Carey he has that size you love in a point guard. That’s a good 3 guard rotation in the future with Ish Trey and JAlen
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Super pumped!! Couple waivers and we are in business next year to support our superstar Fatts, then 21 look out baby!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

AWESOME BABY
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

HELL'S YEAH!
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago Haven't been on the board much the past couple of days. Came on a little bit ago to read all the "he's delaying announcing a week" to "nevermind, announcing at 3" and going through all the posts. Was a roller coaster scroll for a few mins. So excited to land him!!!
Haha, I was the same. Just saw the subject of Jalen Carey (Rhode Island Commit) and was like w-h-h-h-h-at!!
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago A tale as old as time.

A positive tweet about Rhody, and the first response to said tweet is a Friar troll.

Those people are absolutely pathetic.
You smell that? It smells like Friar fear.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

😂😂😂 it’s our own deep fake Rhody “fan”
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

This team is shaping up to be a player on the national scene for years to come. We never saw any panic from the staff as Martin and Toppin left. In the long run this team has improved. Want validation?? Check out the insane tweet responses by Friar trolls who "don't pay any attention" to URI. That smell is #FriarFear.
4 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago This team is shaping up to be a player on the national scene for years to come. We never saw any panic from the staff as Martin and Toppin left. In the long run this team has improved. Want validation?? Check out the insane tweet responses by Friar trolls who "don't pay any attention" to URI. That smell is #FriarFear.
Ain't no Friar fear here, but doesn't mean it wasn't a good get. URI has had a good track record with talented recruits who didn't pan out at their original school in recent years -- Iverson, Robinson. The talent was clearly there at one point and Cox may be the guy to unlock it. I think Jim Boeheim has been incredibly overrated, especially in the last 5-10 years.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago This team is shaping up to be a player on the national scene for years to come. We never saw any panic from the staff as Martin and Toppin left. In the long run this team has improved. Want validation?? Check out the insane tweet responses by Friar trolls who "don't pay any attention" to URI. That smell is #FriarFear.
Ain't no Friar fear here, but doesn't mean it wasn't a good get. URI has had a good track record with talented recruits who didn't pan out at their original school in recent years -- Iverson, Robinson. The talent was clearly there at one point and Cox may be the guy to unlock it. I think Jim Boeheim has been incredibly overrated, especially in the last 5-10 years.
You are also not one of those childish Friar Trolls that have nothing better to do than berate anything about URI basketball and the players....
3 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago
You are also not one of those childish Friar Trolls that have nothing better to do than berate anything about URI basketball and the players....
SteveyD is the absolute worst.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This is a great get. Took some time off from the site but was listening to WEEI Saturday morning and heard about this. Great get and gives me faith that David Cox can become a great coach. Just if he does I hope he stays here. When will URI get a coach that can get us there and pay him/her to stay??????????????????????????????
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RJ, you're not who we are talking about. You're not negatively responding troll like on every Koch or Rothstein tweet that mentions anything regarding URI basketball. Guys like SteveD and I forgot the names of the other 2 or three trolls, who claim to think URI is meaningless to them, sure spend a lot of time proving otherwise.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago This is a great get. Took some time off from the site but was listening to WEEI Saturday morning and heard about this. Great get and gives me faith that David Cox can become a great coach. Just if he does I hope he stays here. When will URI get a coach that can get us there and pay him/her to stay??????????????????????????????
Correct me if I’m wrong but Hurley’s deal that we offered was pretty dam close to what he signed with UConn. I know we has more options with bonuses but as of yet he hasn’t been close to cashing in on a lot of those. Cox hasn’t been bring us in wrong direction, he’s making a strong trust factor in my mind
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
He is not a good basketball player.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
Based on what?

Not sure how you can say a Top 50 kid is a bad basketball player.

You’re a sucky human. But I’m sure by your estimation, that has about as much credence as your boneheaded assessment of talent.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I have to admit you bring up some valid points. Carey is not any good and He is not a good basketball player really shows your knowledge of the game.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Fortunately your talent evaluation skills leave a lot to be desired.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Didn't X Munford suck too?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

GBG,

This is what you said recently about Wood. So curious about how you compare Carey and Wood.

Who do you like better, by how much and why?

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago This board would go crazy if he ended up at PC
This board would go crazy if he went to PC and was good. This thread is an all-timer. The craziness of discounting him because of some box score, the we didn't want him anyway, etc. I saw him play and know a few guys in the area who have opinions I trust. There is a less than 50/50 chance that everything comes together for him but he has high major talent and I would take him back right now, even with the PG year. Unless I missed where we were running out a slew of awesome combo guards.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago This is a great get. Took some time off from the site but was listening to WEEI Saturday morning and heard about this. Great get and gives me faith that David Cox can become a great coach. Just if he does I hope he stays here. When will URI get a coach that can get us there and pay him/her to stay??????????????????????????????
Correct me if I’m wrong but Hurley’s deal that we offered was pretty dam close to what he signed with UConn. I know we has more options with bonuses but as of yet he hasn’t been close to cashing in on a lot of those. Cox hasn’t been bring us in wrong direction, he’s making a strong trust factor in my mind
You are wrong. Hurley earns $3 million/year at UConn (for 7 years). URI’s offer was closer to $2 million.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Didn't X Munford suck too?
Yep, as well as that Dan Hurley needed an old veteran bench coach in order to be successful. :)
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Yeah just take what GBG says whatever the topic. Reverse it and think the complete opposite and then it is usually spot on. Lmaoo.😂😆
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Why are you on this board?? You’re obviously a very sad unhappy troll, go live in the mountains and stop bothering people.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Fortunately your talent evaluation skills leave a lot to be desired.
Based on GBG's track record, saying Carey sucks should make us all even more excited to see him play.
2 x