Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If there are zero waivers granted we’re going to struggle to break .500
0 x
Go Rhody
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years agothey could approve no one and we would clearly be in the lower 100 teams, something like 250 maybe 300, with a ton of hard work maybe win 12/13 games.
I get your broader point about us having a wide range of outcomes depending on our transfer waiver claims, but I will eat my smartphone if we’re in the bottom 100 teams in the country next year if no waivers are approved.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago If there are zero waivers granted we’re going to struggle to break .500
All get waivers and we break records 8-)
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Since the twins committed and Abou decided to move on, it has been very quiet about us being involved with any bigs. Cox had previously mentioned that finding a replacement for Cyril next season is our biggest need. Hopefully this gets cleared up soon once the NCAA makes a decision on the waivers, but I am not overly optimistic. It was mentioned that they may hold open a scholarship in case of a mid-season transfer, but I am more nervous about us losing a player or 2 because of our recent history with this happening.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Roz wrote: 3 years ago Well we have seen A10 success with that Dayton team who made the elite 8 with nobody over 6-7, and Richmond has been running three guards of late.
That team was after the elite 8 Dayton team.

That team won in the play in game and whooped Providences ass before losing in the second round.

They had the dudes that robbed someone or something.

If we can shoot threes like them we will be in business. Sadly dont have a Kendall Pollard type in the middle.

If we just get the twins we will be fine. Just might have an issue matching up with some small forwards like how Nevada killed us with the Martin twins and Caroline.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If no waivers granted I still think we will be top 200 Fatts will still go off for big numbers
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

With no twins or an additional big we will get abused inside! The only really successful 3/4 guard teams have had a stud big, tall guards and could absolutely kill it from 3 pts line!!
That hasn't been our strength recently. When we played that way we had Stan at 6'4" and EC at 6'5. Pray for waivers or we will struggle! Teams will just wear us down inside and foul out our Biggs!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago With no twins or an additional big we will get abused inside! The only really successful 3/4 guard teams have had a stud big, tall guards and could absolutely kill it from 3 pts line!!
That hasn't been our strength recently. When we played that way we had Stan at 6'4" and EC at 6'5. Pray for waivers or we will struggle! Teams will just wear us down inside and foul out our Biggs!
Yeah especially Saint Louis...
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago If no waivers granted I still think we will be top 200 Fatts will still go off for big numbers
Top 200 isn’t really something to brag about...
2 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago If no waivers granted I still think we will be top 200 Fatts will still go off for big numbers
Yeah. I highly doubt we will be having a rally at finishing 184 NET rankings in Fatts last year with no postseason. They need to get the Twins eligible or come up with a top notch front court player to play next year. No chance Harris and an undersized Walker can hold up as our only front court options.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I think you need to be top 64 to make the
Tournament.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Or get an automatic bid from winning your conference.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

everyone is picking apart the details of my comments, but not speaking to the point. The point is, through the waiver acceptance/denial process the NCAA has way too much control over people's lives and their (the NCAA's) decisions have direct ramifications on the financial situations of athletic departments/universities across the nation. If there is a single precedent for a waiver approval with particular circumstances they need to stick to it. Any university that doesn't sue the NCAA in a case of denial where there is precedent for acceptance is complicit in the NCAA's reign of power.
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Many schools due appeal if they don't believe the decision was just, but more times than not the original NCAA decision is upheld. Taking any legal action after that usually isn't in their best interest.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago everyone is picking apart the details of my comments, but not speaking to the point. The point is, through the waiver acceptance/denial process the NCAA has way too much control over people's lives and their (the NCAA's) decisions have direct ramifications on the financial situations of athletic departments/universities across the nation. If there is a single precedent for a waiver approval with particular circumstances they need to stick to it. Any university that doesn't sue the NCAA in a case of denial where there is precedent for acceptance is complicit in the NCAA's reign of power.
The problem is that not every single waiver approval is the same. You could have two scenarios with the same starting and ending results "Players A & B are both ACC athletes that transfer to A10 schools, neither player moves closer to home." Player A is publicly talking about how he is exciting to play a bigger role and is excited to get more minutes and prove his value. Player B makes minimal public comments and the only constant comment from his entourage is about how he played out the string for his old coach but the relationship was fractured because of X, Y, and Z. Player B is much more likely to get a waiver to play than Player A because the appearance is that Player A is only leaving for more minutes and a bigger role while Player B just can't possibly play for his coach any further due to some form of irreparable damage.

So to broad-stroke every transfer as "He went from an ACC to an A10 school and didn't move closer to home, why him?" isn't always valid because it doesn't fill-in any blanks, even if the blanks are bullshit. That also doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that prior coaches/programs have a lot of say in how that process goes. Point being, there is no way for us little guys on the outside to have any idea on what is consistent and where the precedents are without reading case file after case file with every player comment, every parent comment, every entourage comment, every single detail of that appeal letter, every comment the old coach made, etc. It's an exception process for a reason, it's not a standard rule, some will win and some will lose.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago everyone is picking apart the details of my comments, but not speaking to the point. The point is, through the waiver acceptance/denial process the NCAA has way too much control over people's lives and their (the NCAA's) decisions have direct ramifications on the financial situations of athletic departments/universities across the nation. If there is a single precedent for a waiver approval with particular circumstances they need to stick to it. Any university that doesn't sue the NCAA in a case of denial where there is precedent for acceptance is complicit in the NCAA's reign of power.
The problem is that not every single waiver approval is the same. You could have two scenarios with the same starting and ending results "Players A & B are both ACC athletes that transfer to A10 schools, neither player moves closer to home." Player A is publicly talking about how he is exciting to play a bigger role and is excited to get more minutes and prove his value. Player B makes minimal public comments and the only constant comment from his entourage is about how he played out the string for his old coach but the relationship was fractured because of X, Y, and Z. Player B is much more likely to get a waiver to play than Player A because the appearance is that Player A is only leaving for more minutes and a bigger role while Player B just can't possibly play for his coach any further due to some form of irreparable damage.

So to broad-stroke every transfer as "He went from an ACC to an A10 school and didn't move closer to home, why him?" isn't always valid because it doesn't fill-in any blanks, even if the blanks are bullshit. That also doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that prior coaches/programs have a lot of say in how that process goes. Point being, there is no way for us little guys on the outside to have any idea on what is consistent and where the precedents are without reading case file after case file with every player comment, every parent comment, every entourage comment, every single detail of that appeal letter, every comment the old coach made, etc. It's an exception process for a reason, it's not a standard rule, some will win and some will lose.
So are you saying the NCAA is fair and consistent? And we commoners just don’t know And/or haven’t read the details?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago So are you saying the NCAA is fair and consistent? And we commoners just don’t know And/or haven’t read the details?
No, I'm not saying that the NCAA is fair and consistent. I'm just saying that every waiver process is slightly different and it's impossible for us to broad-stroke the waiver process because things appear to be similar based on headlines or a couple of news articles, because let's be honest, almost every time a player leaves a school and goes somewhere else that isn't close to home, we tend to lump those players together with regards to their waiver requests, even though they all likely have slightly different circumstances, comments regarding transferring, relationships with past program, etc.

Just reading headlines makes them all seem the same, when in fact, they are not. None of us can know all the details because we are not in that room. We can only speculate based on what is shared after the fact, like last year that the Walker decision was made in-part due to negative comments from Ewing/Georgetown. But we don't know what they shared, if it was accurate or not, any other factors into the decision, etc. because we didn't hear the conversations or see the notes.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Here's my take prognostication on the waivers.

1. Carey gets approved because of his injury.

2. Martin gets approved because he wants to be closer to home (Covid 19).

3. The twins will be eligible after the first semester.

4. Betrand sits the year.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago Here's my take prognostication on the waivers.

How many times does it need to be said that the twins cannot and will not be eligible for second semester?

They either get a waiver for the whole year, or sit the whole year.

They did not come to Rhody at all last year, they stayed at Maryland.

Again, the twins will either play the whole year or sit the whole year.

There is no chance they get a waiver to only play half the year.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

1. Carey gets approved because of his injury. I think so, yes

2. Martin gets approved because he wants to be closer to home (Covid 19). Less likely, probably no

3. The twins will be eligible after the first semester. Nope

4. Betrand sits the year. Yes
(my guesses)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Carey and Martin - yes
Martin gets closer to home but still outside the 100 mile limit. Fact his brother graduated URI helps tip the scale

Bertrand and both Mitchell’s - no
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Hi
How many times does it need to be said that the twins cannot and will not be eligible for second semester?

They either get a waiver for the whole year, or sit the whole year.

They did not come to Rhody at all last year, they stayed at Maryland.

Again, the twins will either play the whole year or sit the whole year.

There is no chance they get a waiver to only play half the year.
My bad. Then I say they get the waiver.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago
Are you in charge of season ticket sales? Next year you will be crying foul for the NCAA following the rules accepted by its member institutions including URI. Member institutions love having the NCAA being the bad guy for implementing their rules.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
Are you in charge of season ticket sales? Next year you will be crying foul for the NCAA following the rules accepted by its member institutions including URI. Member institutions love having the NCAA being the bad guy for implementing their rules.
No idea what you are talking about but you may want to add more fiber to your diet.
5 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago My bad. Then I say they get the waiver.
No idea what you are talking about but you may want to add more fiber to your diet.
Looking at your "My bad", your advice are words of experience.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Not quite following this conversation.....

Separately, has Cox indicated when he expects to hear on the waiver rulings? Highly doubt it, but I wonder if coaches get any more intel than we do once the request is submitted.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Not quite following this conversation.....

Separately, has Cox indicated when he expects to hear on the waiver rulings? Highly doubt it, but I wonder if coaches get any more intel than we do once the request is submitted.
AD’s do and Conference Commissioners.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
💯💩❤️
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Not quite following this conversation.....

AD’s do and Conference Commissioners.
Interesting. Thanks.
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When was the last time that URI was pleasantly surprised by a waiver ruling?

Better programs are not interested is putting a player on scholarship who is unlikely to play unless the player is a special talent needed in the future. And, they are certainly unlikely to take on a group of such players. For better programs, it is all about the upcoming season.

URI is willing to take a down year or two for a chance at a good year in the future.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago When was the last time that URI was pleasantly surprised by a waiver ruling?

Better programs are not interested is putting a player on scholarship who is unlikely to play unless the player is a special talent needed in the future. And, they are certainly unlikely to take on a group of such players. For better programs, it is all about the upcoming season.

URI is willing to take a down year or two for a chance at a good year in the future.
How can you say URI is willing to take a down year when we know they are asking for waivers for at least Martin, both Mitchell’s and for Carey? I am not sure on Betrand at this point if a waiver has been submitted.

URI needs at least some of the transfers having lost Martin, Toppin and Long to transfers. That’s a significant loss.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago When was the last time that URI was pleasantly surprised by a waiver ruling?

I agree with you 72 - but the transfers out after the season are the problem here, particularly Tyrese. If Tyrese Martin is still here, we don’t need a waiver for Malik Martin and we have 75 minutes of PT locked up with him and Fatts.

I do think what we did is risk next year a little on waivers so we aren’t stuck in the 21 season with players below our level just because they are eligible to play next season. 5 waiver requests, if all 5 are denied I will be surprised. All 5 guys requesting waivers are really talented and will add to next years team significantly.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If David Cox has opted only for players immediately eligible for 2020-2021 the pool from which to select would be much smaller. He would not have been able to fill the roster with players the level of Carey, Mitchell’s, Martin and Betrand.

Cox would have had lesser talented players and grad transfers eligible for only 1 year.

As it stands he still has possibilities of some or all of the transfers to get waivers. If not we still have a good collection of players. If waivers all fail Cox could still get some players in to add to the bench. No potential starters most likely. He can get some decent players from the school too from the intramural leagues as has been done in the past by previous HC’s.

Losing 3 to transfer (including 2 starters for next year) is something nobody expected at the beginning of March.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

How can you say URI is willing to take a down year when we know they are asking for waivers for at least Martin, both Mitchell’s and for Carey? I am not sure on Betrand at this point if a waiver has been submitted.

URI needs at least some of the transfers having lost Martin, Toppin and Long to transfers. That’s a significant loss.
I agree with you Ramster (that's twice this week, I feel icky).

I think I've mentioned in a few different transfer threads, but Cox and Co. have made chicken salad after chicken shit.

Rather that waste scholarships on undervalued 4 year players, they've identified transfers who have proven D1 track records and chosen to invest in them.

The odds of them grabbing guys this spring that would have offered immediate value was slim. Getting a few of these transfers eligible by waiver would make a major difference.

Worst case, they are ready for next year, but should have some quality depth. I don't view it as them punting away the season, just trying to build the best roster possible, short and long-term.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Holy crap, RJ! I agree with you!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I agree!
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Cox silenced and put his naysayers to rest (for now) the old fashioned way:

through hard work. Relentless recruiting. Tireless effort.

You can fault a man for many things, but someone who gives you 110% effort is difficult to criticize. Not impossible, but difficult.
4 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Pretty sure Bertrand announced on twitter or IG he was applying for a waiver right after he announced he was coming to Rhody. With the inconsistency of the NCAA approving or denying these waivers any transfer would be foolish not to atleast apply for one.

That being said i dont think he has a shot at getting one. I also wouldnt be totally suprised if one twin got a waiver. The one that hardly played at all with Maryland, Makhel.

Carey has the best shot. Bertrand IMO is the least likely to get one.
Last edited by FDshoes 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Im sure he his going to a P5 school but would love to see Cox go hard after Yor Anei 6'10" grad transfer from Okst who announced today he is transfering.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yor Anei is not a grad transfer, just finished his sophomore year at OK State, but would probably be granted a waiver because they just got put on post season ban.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Yor Anei is not a grad transfer, just finished his sophomore year at OK State, but would probably be granted a waiver because they just got put on post season ban.
My bad i was going by Rothsteins initial tweet stating he would be immediately eligible. Just saw the second tweeting that he would have to apply for waiver. Still would love to go after him.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree may be worth the chance and with OK State on probation would be a good waiver candidate.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I agree may be worth the chance and with OK State on probation would be a good waiver candidate.
You would have to think it be a 100% at the waiver. Its not his fault they got the ban. But never know with NCAA
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Best odds for waivers:
1. Mitchell twins
2. Carey
3. Martin
4. Betrand
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Best odds for waivers:
1. Mitchell twins
2. Carey
3. Martin
4. Betrand
I would’ve thought Carey would be ahead of the twins but I hope you’re right. We need the depth upfront.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

1. Mitchell twins
2. Carey
3. Martin
4. Betrand
Totally hope you’re right. Would be HUUGE. What angle are the twins playing?
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
1. Mitchell twins
2. Carey
3. Martin
4. Betrand
I would’ve thought Carey would be ahead of the twins but I hope you’re right. We need the depth upfront.
I'd thought
1. Carey - only played 2 games in 2019-2020 season. Will get a medical waiver. Could pair the medical waiver up with a waiver to play immediately in 2020-2021 season

2. Martin - coming closer to home in Kingston vs Charlotte. Brother played and starred at URI. Could play the homesick card - not a good fit at Charlotte so far from home. Family can easily see him play in Kingston just as they did with his older brother. Can see him play at Fordham as well.

3. Mitchell Twins - Attended school at Maryland for the full year. Separated from the team before season over. Long shot but possibly get eligible for 2nd semester like Iverson did - but the fact that they stayed enrolled at Maryland doesn't help - but Carey, Martin and Betrand have the same issue

4. Betrand - played full year.

Could be they all get waivers or none get waivers. My guess is Carey gets a waiver based on the injury situation. Nobody else gets a waiver.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I lean toward their being consistency in NCAA waiver rulings. I believe that we do not know all the facts because of privacy concerns and schools spinning decisions as being unfair. If Martin was transferring to Fordham, his claim would be more believable.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I don't like the fact that the Twins can get zinged for staying enrolled at Maryland. Isn't education a priority here too? Especially to the NCAA? What looks better, the twins leaving the team and dropping out of school before transferring the following year, or staying enrolled and then leaving after the school year?
1 x
GO RAMS