'18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Syracuse ---> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Re: '18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Syracuse Transfer)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Would he be the highest caliber recruit (In terms of HS rankings) in URI history?
What was Kuran Iverson's ranking coming out of high school?
Higher, top 30.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ok thanks, I couldn’t remember Odom’s ranking.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Carey's Rivals ranking is higher than Harris, Terrell and Stanford Robinson but his 247 ranking is lower.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think we are in good shape. Would be HUGE.

HUUUUUUGGGEEEEE!
4 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

DC - why do you feel like this is a better get than Betrand? Betrand has proven himself consistently and seems to be poised to make a big jump.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Just saw that news. That is very good news. Also it stinks waiting another week to find out
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Today's going to be a roller coaster day on this board
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago DC - why do you feel like this is a better get than Betrand? Betrand has proven himself consistently and seems to be poised to make a big jump.
Carey is big time. That is all I’m saying. I love Betrand, but we are a Top 2 A10 team with him in the fold.

All indications are pointing to Rhody.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can't wait for the "Didn't see that coming" and "I guess anything can happen". lol But I hope we get him.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Rhody flashback:

Who remembers when a guy on here named "clamcake" was so obsessed with recruiting rankings, that only a TOHR (Top One Hundred Recruit) would do?
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago
Would he be the highest caliber recruit (In terms of HS rankings) in URI history?
Probably second behind Lamar Odom who was top 5 overall if not #1 I think.
#1 Tracy McGrady
#2 Lamar Odom
#3 Elton Brand

Lamar was McDonald's All American
He was front page of Parade Magazine's All American Team which was huge recognition back then
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Adam Zagoria is like Sully in the movie Miracle On The Hudson, piloting the Carey plane to a soft safe landing on the Rhody waters.

Bunky.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago DC - why do you feel like this is a better get than Betrand? Betrand has proven himself consistently and seems to be poised to make a big jump.
Carey is big time. That is all I’m saying. I love Betrand, but we are a Top 2 A10 team with him in the fold.

All indications are pointing to Rhody.
Agree DC
Glad to hear that the announcement is still on for today
Looks promising
Exactly why teams should keep roster spots open - especially in this day and age of transferring

If you can be in the starting line up at ACC Syracuse as a Freshman playing against UCONN and Oregon you must have some innate abilities to have gotten to that level of opportunity in the first place. Hampered by injury and there is intense competition as well.

I think he gets the medical waiver for sure and he gets to play this season - that would make this commitment even more valuable.

Interesting that his teammate at Syracuse, Brycen Goodine, transferred to the Fryuzzz. He might not get a waiver, but Carey could due to the medical situation.

I think we get great news today!!! Stock Market is up! Unemployment news was much better than expected today. Covid is down. Carey to URI :-)
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Optimism could be back on the menu, folks. Here's hoping.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Any examples of someone being granted a transfer waiver because of a medical redshirt? I have never heard of that. I know players are granted an additional year from sitting out a majority of a season due to injury. Not sure why you would get a transfer waiver for that.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Any examples of someone being granted a transfer waiver because of a medical redshirt? I have never heard of that. I know players are granted an additional year from sitting out a majority of a season due to injury. Not sure why you would get a transfer waiver for that.
Too lazy to look, but there are many.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

duckduckgo.com is your friend here, in the digital age...

ah, crappers, that link was from 2008-09 and the updated NCAA Div 1 2019-20 manual is about $17. And I'm too cheap and lazy to purchase it.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4577- ... VectorID=0&
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Didnt ChristianThompson benefit from a medical waiver?
0 x
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago
Would he be the highest caliber recruit (In terms of HS rankings) in URI history?
Probably second behind Lamar Odom who was top 5 overall if not #1 I think.
#1 Tracy McGrady
#2 Lamar Odom
#3 Elton Brand

Lamar was McDonald's All American
He was front page of Parade Magazine's All American Team which was huge recognition back then
Luther Clay was also a McDonalds All American way back in 95, and came to URI via transfer from Purdue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_McDo ... _Boys_Game
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Here it is (from the 2019-2020 version):

(if this cannot be cut and pasted directly, then by all means delete it)

12.8.1.7 Five-Year Rule Waiver. The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or its designated committee, by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting, may approve waivers of the five-year rule as it deems appropriate. (Revised: 7/30/10, 7/31/14)

12.8.1.7.1 Waiver Criteria. A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a student-athlete with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a five year period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence under the following circumstances:
(Revised: 4/17/91, 1/11/94, 8/10/94, 10/12/95, 4/27/00, 7/30/10, 7/31/14, 4/25/18 applicable to a student athlete who qualifies for a waiver that would provide the opportunity to participate in four seasons of competition within a five-year period)

(a) The student-athlete did not use a season of intercollegiate competition in his or her initial year of
full-time, collegiate enrollment due to an institutional decision to redshirt the student-athlete; the
student-athlete was listed on the institution’s squad list and was eligible for competition during the
segment of the season that concludes with the NCAA championship; and the student-athlete was
deprived of the opportunity to participate in intercollegiate competition in one other season due to
circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete or institution; or

(b) The student-athlete is deprived of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his
or her sport within the five-year period of eligibility for reasons that are beyond the control of the
student-athlete or the institution.

2019-20 Division I – August

12.8.1.7.1.1 Circumstances Beyond Control.
Circumstances considered to be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution and do not cause a participation opportunity to be used shall include, but are not limited to, the following: (Adopted: 8/10/94, Revised: 10/12/95, 8/12/97,1/9/06, 7/30/10, 7/31/14)

(a) Situations clearly supported by contemporaneous medical documentation, which states that a
student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate competition as a result of incapacitating
physical or mental circumstances;
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Didnt ChristianThompson benefit from a medical waiver?
Not like we are talking about with Carey. Carey is a Soph. Thompson graduated from URI and transferred. That is the Grad Transfer rule and not a waiver granted.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Carey was in his second year at Syracuse, broke his thumb, after the second game of the season, and sat the rest of the year, with a medical reshirt.

Now, if he transfers anywhere, and they force him to sit his first year, he will not mathematically be able to compete for years of competition within 5 years. This is the basis of the argument. He'll only be able to play 3 years, in 5 years, which is not fair, and thus the basis of the argument, which would seem to return a favorable vote by the committee more often than not.
Last edited by rhodyfan3000 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Here it is (from the 2019-2020 version):

(if this cannot be cut and pasted directly, then by all means delete it)

12.8.1.7 Five-Year Rule Waiver. The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or its designated committee, by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting, may approve waivers of the five-year rule as it deems appropriate. (Revised: 7/30/10, 7/31/14)

12.8.1.7.1 Waiver Criteria. A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a student-athlete with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a five year period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence under the following circumstances:
(Revised: 4/17/91, 1/11/94, 8/10/94, 10/12/95, 4/27/00, 7/30/10, 7/31/14, 4/25/18 applicable to a student athlete who qualifies for a waiver that would provide the opportunity to participate in four seasons of competition within a five-year period)

(a) The student-athlete did not use a season of intercollegiate competition in his or her initial year of
full-time, collegiate enrollment due to an institutional decision to redshirt the student-athlete; the
student-athlete was listed on the institution’s squad list and was eligible for competition during the
segment of the season that concludes with the NCAA championship; and the student-athlete was
deprived of the opportunity to participate in intercollegiate competition in one other season due to
circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete or institution; or

(b) The student-athlete is deprived of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his
or her sport within the five-year period of eligibility for reasons that are beyond the control of the
student-athlete or the institution.

2019-20 Division I – August

12.8.1.7.1.1 Circumstances Beyond Control.
Circumstances considered to be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution and do not cause a participation opportunity to be used shall include, but are not limited to, the following: (Adopted: 8/10/94, Revised: 10/12/95, 8/12/97,1/9/06, 7/30/10, 7/31/14)

(a) Situations clearly supported by contemporaneous medical documentation, which states that a
student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate competition as a result of incapacitating
physical or mental circumstances;
This has nothing to do with a player being granted a waiver and not having to sit out a year. This has to do with a waiver extending the number of years a player has to complete four years of playing.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

How do you figure that?

I just explained it above. I "showed my work". Why do you think they would be so optimistic about the waiver in the first place?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Carey was in his second year at Syracuse, broke his thumb, and sat the rest of the year, with a medical reshirt.

Now, if he transfers anywhere, and they force him to sit his first year, he will not mathematically be able to compete for years of competition within 5 years. This is the basis of the argument. He'll only be able to play 3 years, in 5 years, which is not fair, and thus the basis of the argument, which would seem to return a favorable vote by the committee more often than not.
That waiver would give him 6 years to play 4. It wouldn’t make him eligible in 20-21 though. Emmett Holt got the waiver for a 6th year. One of the Murphy’s got the 6th year waiver and their situation was like Carey’s - a medical redshirt and a transfer. I believe they did sit out the year they transferred.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

A 6th year is quite rare.

In the case of the Murphy, was the injury before the 3rd game of the season?
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

It's also based on a vote from the committee, if you lose, you could be "playing from behind" and hoping to get the mythical 6th year, but have no guarantee of that happening.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like promising news and glad we will find out today
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Any examples of someone being granted a transfer waiver because of a medical redshirt? I have never heard of that. I know players are granted an additional year from sitting out a majority of a season due to injury. Not sure why you would get a transfer waiver for that.
because he sat out the entire season except for only 2 games
I'd bet he gets a waiver to play in the fall
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Carey was in his second year at Syracuse, broke his thumb, and sat the rest of the year, with a medical reshirt.

That waiver would give him 6 years to play 4. It wouldn’t make him eligible in 20-21 though. Emmett Holt got the waiver for a 6th year. One of the Murphy’s got the 6th year waiver and their situation was like Carey’s - a medical redshirt and a transfer. I believe they did sit out the year they transferred.
I would think a medical redshirt by itself wouldn't warrant immediate eligiblity.

There would be a few ways to look at it:

1) If a medical redshirt transfers closer to home, they can now claim the same homesickness argument any other player could
2) They could argue that they only "medically redshirted" because their coach was trying to game their eligibility, and they could have played and the player now doesn't trust the coach

Perhaps there are other options, but I don't think the "I sat last year for my medical redshirt that should count as my year sitting as a transfer" is a valid reason for immediate eligibility.

I agree with Rhody83 on this, my only hesitation would be that in many of the situations listed above, the player lost the year of eligibility through the transfer/prior redshirt process, then was injured.

Alex Murphy transferred from Duke then was injured at Florida.
Holt lost a year in JUCO then was injured at PC.
Dylan Ennis was a transfer than was injured at Oregon.
Jalen Coleman-Lands was a transfer than was injured at DePaul.
KJ Walton was a transfer than was injured at Ball St.
Hank Hollingswroth was a redshirt than an injury at Cal-Poly.
Mike Thorne was a transfer than an injury at Illinois.
Scott Martin was a transfer than an injury at Notre Dame.
Vincent Eze was a tranfer than an injury at Maine.

None of the examples I found for men's basketball through a few pages of google searches had any players who got injured than transferred as getting an extra year of eligibility. My assumption for that may be that players don't know that they are going to get injured for an entire season, but if you've already sat one year, and transfer, you know the expectation in today's world is that you sit when you transfer.

I could be wrong, I just couldn't find any examples that fit.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Rhody flashback:

Who remembers when a guy on here named "clamcake" was so obsessed with recruiting rankings, that only a TOHR (Top One Hundred Recruit) would do?
I recall him wanting Jonathan Cruz to start at PG?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

I would think a medical redshirt by itself wouldn't warrant immediate eligiblity.

1) If a medical redshirt transfers closer to home, they can now claim the same homesickness argument any other player could
2) They could argue that they only "medically redshirted" because their coach was trying to game their eligibility, and they could have played and the player now doesn't trust the coach

Perhaps there are other options, but I don't think the "I sat last year for my medical redshirt that should count as my year sitting as a transfer" is a valid reason for immediate eligibility.

I agree with Rhody83 on this, my only hesitation would be that in many of the situations listed above, the player lost the year of eligibility through the transfer/prior redshirt process, then was injured.

None of the examples I found for men's basketball through a few pages of google searches had any players who got injured than transferred as getting an extra year of eligibility. My assumption for that may be that players don't know that they are going to get injured for an entire season, but if you've already sat one year, and transfer, you know the expectation in today's world is that you sit when you transfer.

It’s rare for a player to get injured and miss almost an entire season plus add in transferring.
In Carey’s case he played only 2 games then missed the entire season. Now he is transferring.
For sure he will get the medical redshirt. I seriously doubt the NCAA would make a decision that would result in a player missing 2 years of actual playing.

That would be brutal.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It’s rare for a player to get injured and miss almost an entire season plus add in transferring.
In Carey’s case he played only 2 games then missed the entire season. Now he is transferring.
For sure he will get the medical redshirt. I seriously doubt the NCAA would make a decision that would result in a player missing 2 years of actual playing.

That would be brutal.
Ramster, there must be something in the water, because I haven’t agreed with you this much in one day since I’ve started posting here. :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

That would be brutal.
Ramster, there must be something in the water, because I haven’t agreed with you this much in one day since I’ve started posting here. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I always thought you would come around. :D
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It'd be nice to get this guy. The 5 incoming transfers would make a tough team for the returning players to go head to head with.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

really good get. Congrats Coach Cox!
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

LETS GO BABY
2 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Absolutely awesome!!!!!!!
I’d heard early in the week that we had good chance
Fantastic use of an additional scholarship
Maybe the best odds of any of the transfers to be eligible in November 2020
Great job by the Coaching Staff
Game changing transfer
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Great start to the weekend!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If nothing else, it’s to NEVER COUNT COACH COX AND HIS STAFF OUT. Has to be one the most resilient, hardest working groups in the country.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wow!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Move over Nevada

We are transfer U!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hard work is great but the results of the hard work are what really matter
What I like in these transfers is the upside potential
Leggett is a potential starter as a Freshman, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t start but either way he will get meaningful minutes.
Carey eligible in November is key and likely to happen
0 x