General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Jersey77 »

No connection, maybe he would want a change of scenery. We have approached other candidates from the West, including Cam Mack
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Averaged 25 minutes, 9pts 7 boards...sign me up.
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I'm on board. Sign him up.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sign him to the roster we need him
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I actually saw Andre Adams play last fall at Nebraska, he had a descent game 4/7 from the field and 11 rebounds. I think he would provide us with quality minutes in the paint and would be a good fit in the A10. I would like to see our staff reach out to him and gage his interest, only tie up a scholarship for 1 year.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

NCAA Basketball: 10 teams who should target transfer Justyn Mutts

Rhode Island Rams

With the news that star guard Fatts Russell is coming back for a final season, the Rams now have to take advantage to have another top-4 campaign in the Atlantic 10. They did lose a number of transfers this offseason, most notably Jacob Toppin and Tyrese Martin. The good news for the team is that there are four incoming transfers, including guards Malik Martin and Allen Betrand, along with former Maryland bigs Makhi and Makhel Mitchell.

Since there is a real possibility that none of those four will be eligible for at least the first half of the season, adding someone who can come in and perform right out the gate from the frontcourt is needed. Jermaine Harris and Antwan Walker provide the only depth down low at the moment and neither rebounds as well as Mutts can.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/05/30/ ... tts/amp/5/
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ok, am I getting this right? Mutts graduated with a psych degree in three years? Very impressive. He sat out a year, played two, so he has two years of immediate eligibility as a graduate student, URI just so happens to have a very good psych department no?
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Getting Mutts would be absolutely huge. He might not be the pure banger that Cyril was. But he had back to back 20 point/15 rebound games this year. He is a dogged defender that Cox likes, an absolute smothering pest, shot blocker, rebounder, nose for the ball and an offensive presence.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Would be a great addition if the staff can pull it off, players continuing to enter the portal giving us more opportunities.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I like the idea of adding a defense/rebound oriented big to next year’s team. We definitely have a place for that kind of player even if the twins were to get a waiver.

I also like that Mutts has 2 years left. I have a hunch that this is possibly Antwan’s last season at Rhody (in a good way). I think he has a monster season, graduates and starts his pro career.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I like the idea of adding a defense/rebound oriented big to next year’s team. We definitely have a place for that kind of player even if the twins were to get a waiver.

I also like that Mutts has 2 years left. I have a hunch that this is possibly Antwan’s last season at Rhody (in a good way). I think he has a monster season, graduates and starts his pro career.
Antwan Walker going pro?? Cmon. He has not done nothing so far in college. Why not wait and let’s see him accomplish something before saying something like that.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

It is funny looking through some old videos of justyn mutts. Noticed at the end of this video fatts russell making a pass to him for a layup in their aau eybl. So fatts and justyn played together on team final.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

His list of suitors is a mile long. He also has already said, he’s looking to go P5, calling out the ACC and SEC.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

So, upper A-10 level talent, say Dayton or Rhody...

pining for ACC and SEC...

where are we expecting him to ultimately land? Georgetown, Rutgers, or Providence College?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I like the idea of adding a defense/rebound oriented big to next year’s team. We definitely have a place for that kind of player even if the twins were to get a waiver.

Antwan Walker going pro?? Cmon. He has not done nothing so far in college. Why not wait and let’s see him accomplish something before saying something like that.
Eh, way more guys go pro for a season or two than you'd realize. Like most recently, Nikola Akele skipped his last year of eligibility, but even guys like Parfait Bitee played three years. Biggie Minnis played for a year. Walker is listed at 6'9" - he can likely play pro ball, if he wants to, although it might be more of a squad that pays closer to $25k to $50k, American dollars, than the premier Euro teams that like, Jimmy Baron played for. Almost everyone who got significant minutes at URI in the past decade ended up in some form of pro ball.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh wait - Walker will have a year left after this one. Yeah, I don't think that's happening, but I would assume he has a pro basketball career of some sort, after his time at URI.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

Eh, way more guys go pro for a season or two than you'd realize. Like most recently, Nikola Akele skipped his last year of eligibility, but even guys like Parfait Bitee played three years. Biggie Minnis played for a year. Walker is listed at 6'9" - he can likely play pro ball, if he wants to, although it might be more of a squad that pays closer to $25k to $50k, American dollars, than the premier Euro teams that like, Jimmy Baron played for. Almost everyone who got significant minutes at URI in the past decade ended up in some form of pro ball.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh wait - Walker will have a year left after this one. Yeah, I don't think that's happening, but I would assume he has a pro basketball career of some sort, after his time at URI.
Sorry Walker is not close to 6-9. I have been up close to him and also people who are near him all the time have said this. He probably isn’t 6-7. I get it that it doesn’t matter how good you are in terms of playing professionally overseas, but he has not showed much to this point to project this so let’s see him develop some type of game before throwing out a mobster season. If the twins eligible he will be a backup
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Pretty sure Parfait played 4 years?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Brian wrote: 3 years ago

Pretty sure Parfait played 4 years?
Parfait did play four years.

Biggie Minnis also played all four years. Transferred here and then transferred to Wright state for his redshirt senior season.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

He’s referring to how many years Parfait and Biggie played professionally overseas - I was confused too initially
1 x
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Great day to be a Ram.

Any news on the timeline for twins transfer?

Who’s the next hopeful commit?
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The pedigree of player has absolutely gone up around here. Hopefully these guys or most of these guys can play next year and we remind people URI is a force to be reckoned with. I don’t understand why our own fans disparage what we have going for us. Many times it attracts tremendous talent.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Great pick-up today on Jalen. In other news grad transfer Andre Adams (PF/C) just committed to Boston College.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m happy about Jalen, of course, but I still would like to see another front court player.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago I’m happy about Jalen, of course, but I still would like to see another front court player.
74 I'm leaning towards holding that remaining scholarship.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago I’m happy about Jalen, of course, but I still would like to see another front court player.
74 I'm leaning towards holding that remaining scholarship.
We only have 7 eligible players for next season without some positive results from the waiver process. I do not want to take the chance of wasting Fatts Russell's senior season because we had no depth to withstand foul trouble never mind some minor injuries.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree with DD88 , I don't see the point in holding the remaining scholarship (too much uncertainty). I would also like to see Fatts go out with a bang his final year.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The remaining scholarship will be used on an eligible big if the Mitchells don’t get a waiver. The Mitchells have applied for the waiver. Just waiting the NCAA’s decision. They are expecting to hear this month but you never know with the NCAA. They have been told by Maryland that they are not objecting to the waiver (like GTown did with Walker).
5 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The NCAA on doing anything in a timely manner is a reach, especially with all the waiver requests this year. At this point we can only wait, unless our staff decides to pull the trigger on someone sooner than later. The market for immediate available bigs keeps dwindling.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Keep that last spot open for an immediately eligible big guy that can play and contribute next year . We are fine in the backcourt with Fatts Shep and the 2 frosh getting experience
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Keep that last spot open for an immediately eligible big guy that can play and contribute next year . We are fine in the backcourt with Fatts Shep and the 2 frosh getting experience
I think Cox must feel that the Twins will be the ones to receive a waiver for next season. If all five are ineligible we are beyond thin on the front line unless there is a grad big man that is immediately eligible. Even that will make for very little front court depth. The Twins are by far the most important players to get a waiver out of the five for next year’s team.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Keep that last spot open for an immediately eligible big guy that can play and contribute next year . We are fine in the backcourt with Fatts Shep and the 2 frosh getting experience
I think Cox must feel that the Twins will be the ones to receive a waiver for next season. If all five are ineligible we are beyond thin on the front line unless there is a grad big man that is immediately eligible. Even that will make for very little front court depth. The Twins are by far the most important players to get a waiver out of the five for next year’s team.
With Carey and the twins we would have more than a punchers chance next year.

Get everybody and we straight up punch!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox was shocked last year when Walker didn’t receive a waiver. Can’t rely on what he thinks the NCAA will do.
He has a contingency for a big if the Mitchells are ineligible. The question is how long will this player wait (he only wants to come if he is in the top 3 forwards).
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
Cox was shocked last year when Walker didn’t receive a waiver. Can’t rely on what he thinks the NCAA will do.
He has a contingency for a big if the Mitchells are ineligible. The question is how long will this player wait (he only wants to come if he is in the top 3 forwards).
We may not get word on the twins for months.

Don't know how David makes that work. Unless he actually knows when the waiver will be processed?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83, where have you heard that he has a big waiting in the wings in case the twin's waiver is denied? We have all speculated, but it has been very hush hush.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is this an incoming frosh, a juco or a grad?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Ima guess JUCO!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Rhody83, where have you heard that he has a big waiting in the wings in case the twin's waiver is denied? We have all speculated, but it has been very hush hush.
Reliable source.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Not a frosh. Has experience. Don’t know any more details.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Okay thanks, hopefully we find out soon, there are still some grad transfers and juco bigs available.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

giovanni wrote: 3 years ago
Must be a TJ recruit.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

He looks, and plays, much bigger than 6'1"
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago He looks, and plays, much bigger than 6'1"
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

He reminds me of a current Florida Gator, Keyontae Johnson.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Now his recruitment makes much more sense
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Work it TJ
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

With Zeigler and Geeter I have to believe TJ is the lead.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Legend Geeter would instantly top the all time name list.
5 x