Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by RF1 »

Bill Koch had a link to excellent piece by Matt Norlander for CBS Sports;

Coronavirus fallout: The biggest questions, concerns facing college basketball and athletic departments
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... partments/
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball

Unread post by RF1 »

The MAC Conference made an announcement yesterday about its future operations as a result of Covid-19:

Men's and women's basketball will move to 20-game conference schedules (was 18), and their respective conference tournaments will field eight teams (was all 12). Opening-round games on campus sites have been eliminated.

Conference tournaments are canceled in field hockey, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's tennis, women's lacrosse, softball and baseball. Softball and baseball will also play only 30 regular-season games

Link:
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... her-sports
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The nation's largest state university system is likely not fully reopening its campuses this fall. The 23 campus system includes schools such as UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, and Long Beach.

First in nation, California State University to close campuses for in-person instruction this fall
https://edsource.org/2020/california-st ... all/631381
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Fauci said yesterday that the idea of kids being on college campuses in the fall is 'a bridge too far'.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

In my wife's native England, they are going to open up all of the elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools starting the first week of June, or at least that is the plan.

In California, they aren't opening up anything until at least after Tuesday, November 3.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Yahoo Sports
NCAA president Mark Emmert: No sports without students on campus
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-president ... 57332.html

One of the main points Emmert made is that he does not envision a scenario where football or other sports can take place if students cannot return to their respective campuses.

“All of the Division I commissioners and every president that I’ve talked to is in clear agreement: If you don’t have students on campus, you don’t have student-athletes on campus,” Emmert said. “That doesn’t mean it has to be up and running in the full normal model, but you’ve got to treat the health and well-being of the athletes at least as much as the regular students. So if a school doesn’t reopen, then they’re not going to be playing sports. It’s really that simple.”

NCAA won't mandate uniform return to college sports, Mark Emmert says
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... mmert-says
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Fauci said yesterday that the idea of kids being on college campuses in the fall is 'a bridge too far'.
The quote was actually that it would be "a bridge too far" with regards to there being widely available medical therapeutics and vaccines to calm the nerves of potential students/parents, not that kids being on campuses was necessarily impossible. He didn't rule out students returning to school, assuming limited infection rate and proper testing/tracing protocols on campuses.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Maybe Midnight Madness call be held on Friday, November 6 this year.

Two days after all of the students move back in on campus.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The nation's largest state university system is likely not fully reopening its campuses this fall. The 23 campus system includes schools such as UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, and Long Beach.

First in nation, California State University to close campuses for in-person instruction this fall
California State University system is separate from the flagship university system which is comprised of ten campuses including Cal-Berkeley and UCLA. A decision on the opening of those schools will come at a later date.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The nation's largest state university system is likely not fully reopening its campuses this fall. The 23 campus system includes schools such as UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, and Long Beach.

California State University system is separate from the flagship university system which is comprised of ten campuses including Cal-Berkeley and UCLA. A decision on the opening of those schools will come at a later date.
I stand corrected. Do you however believe that the flagships would open if the the state university system did not? I would think they most likely will follow the same model.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

I stand corrected. Do you however believe that the flagships would open if the the state university system did not? I would think they most likely will follow the same model.
I would be surprised if the marquee schools don't follow the lead of the state university system. But then again, every day in a pandemic is a surprise.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The Big East has stated that if one team does not have students on campus, no athletic competitions will take place. All contingencies are currently on the table.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

Frankly, it doesn't make any difference because the CSU system includes many D1 schools which are now faced with holding games in empty gyms or delaying the season's start maybe to January. The point is the next season's college basketball will be significantly impacted everywhere. We just don't know the dimensions of the change right now and I'm not waiting to find out as I already signed up for the URI basketball season. I will deal with the issue when the situation is clarified, but I am prepared to donate all or part of cost of the tickets to the program.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Here is my fix for college basketball (and the world generally before a vaccine) - sorry but I am bored of working from home and talking to the same 4 people about this all day.

Open everything up by August with increased sanitation but otherwise minimal restrictions.

PRE-PLAN a two-week shutdown of the entire nation for starting January 2nd. We get through the holiday seasons of people spreading viruses, get home and then don't leave the house for two weeks. Complete shutdown of everything that is not a hospital including airports, mass transit, grocery stores, etc. Everything shut down for two weeks.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I think those are ok moves by the Atlantic 10.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

How are they reducing the baseball schedule that doesn't start until like Feb? Madness.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago How are they reducing the baseball schedule that doesn't start until like Feb? Madness.
I believe many of these moves are as much or more about the monetary ramifications of the games versus perceived player safety. Here was a quote from the MAC commissioner regarding several changes happening to MAC sports and I'm assuming it's rather similar elsewhere: ""The pandemic and resulting financial issues play into that," Steinbrecher told WTOL. "As the financial situation changes, it will give us a chance to re-evaluate." Major basketball/football likely won't see this, because they bring in revenue that warrants them playing a normal schedule if allowed.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago How are they reducing the baseball schedule that doesn't start until like Feb? Madness.
because we're all effed forever? Never again will you be able to sit in a bar and have a beverage with friends. or go to a 'crowded' restaurant or a packed stadium. As long as every kind of 'opening' is referred to as 'early', and there isn't a defined date for anything...consider it 'indefinite' aka 'forever'. #sadsadsad
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......check out new release by country artist Luke Combs, Six Feet Apart......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Medical science eventually will find a drug or vaccine that will vastly reduce deaths.

I remember when AIDS was a certain death sentence. Not any more.

Even though this virus is extremely contagious compared to that...it will happen.

Might be a while though. That's the toughest part.

We all can't live in a cocoon forever. And we won't.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Medical science eventually will find a drug or vaccine that will vastly reduce deaths.

I remember when AIDS was a certain death sentence. Not any more.

Even though this virus is extremely contagious compared to that...it will happen.

Might be a while though. That's the toughest part.

We all can't live in a cocoon forever. And we won't.
Um, until there's a "date"...it's "forever." Get used to it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Furman, citing the financial impact of Covid-19 as a reason, is eliminating baseball and lacrosse. Many other colleges are taking similar actions. Bowling Green is also dropping baseball as well.

Furman drops baseball, men's lacrosse programs because of coronavirus losses
https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sport ... 31165.html

Bowling Green ends baseball program as part of athletics restructuring
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... tructuring
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I see a few schools (South Carolina, Notre Dame, Purdue) are considering starting classes, on campus, a couple of weeks early and finishing before Thanksgiving, with students not returning until the end of January for 2nd semester. Seems like they're trying to save the football season. But what does this do to college basketball?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PC-URI game may be in jeopardy .... at least at the Dump: https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... st-of-2020

Of course, if the Dump won’t open, perhaps Ryan won’t either.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago PC-URI game may be in jeopardy .... at least at the Dump: https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... st-of-2020

The Donut Hole has been in need of a thorough scouring with bleach and a wire brush for decades.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago PC-URI game may be in jeopardy .... at least at the Dump: https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... st-of-2020

Nothing at all wrong with Alumni Hall. Fully functional- good to go.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago

If crowds are allowed in arenas for sporting events, what will be the policy for virus containment? Will there be a much reduced capacity? Will there have to be x number of empty seats between fans with alternating rows left empty? No bathrooms or concessions? Scheduled entrance times and staggered exits? Body temperature screenings? There are a lot of unknowns.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we can’t play at the Dunk this season, I can already see PC refusing to come play back in Kingston in two years because the game this year may not happen in Providence.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Phase 2 is June 1 in Rhode Island
Restaurants can open to 50% capacity
Groups up to 15 allowed
Beaches open

URI Football kicks off in 3 months

I think we have college football - they are planning on it
NBA is planning games this summer,
NFL is planning on a season

I’ll be Very surprised if we don’t have college basketball games.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If the game is played without fans it will be in Alumni Hall on the pc campus. It will be pay per view.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Phase 2 is June 1 in Rhide Island

I agree Ramster, at this point it feels like all momentum is towards a normal collegiate sports calendar, at least football and basketball. Both are likely to have limited fans, and both will be at the mercy of another late fall/early winter reemergence of the virus. I do still think both football and basketball will work to limit travel where possible to help limit potential exposure.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

MLB should be playing, the players union needs to stop effing around. Least contact major sport. Korean can do it, so can the US of A.
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago MLB should be playing, the players union needs to stop effing around. Least contact major sport. Korean can do it, so can the US of A.
I think the players at least have a case here. If the owners had it their way, the players would be playing for almost nothing this season.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago MLB should be playing, the players union needs to stop effing around. Least contact major sport. Korean can do it, so can the US of A.
I think the players at least have a case here. If the owners had it their way, the players would be playing for almost nothing this season.
Agreed - the owners are trying to use the excuse of the pandemic to push through labor deals that would drastically impact player earnings going forward, and they’re winning the PR game by saying “we have an offer on the table, but the players aren’t accepting it and don’t want to play!”
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

sf2010 wrote: 3 years ago
Agreed - the owners are trying to use the excuse of the pandemic to push through labor deals that would drastically impact player earnings going forward, and they’re winning the PR game by saying “we have an offer on the table, but the players aren’t accepting it and don’t want to play!”
It's not all about the money. One side or the other is going to take a bath unless there's a compromise.
Who should that be? The players or the owners? It all comes down to either one side agreeing to get completely hosed, or a compromised, equal hosing for all.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The players already agreed to pro-rated deals, so it's not like the $30 million player is expecting $30 million, they know they are only getting $15 million (half-season).

In other leagues, if the league makes more revenue, the salary caps increase and the players get bigger future contracts. There is no revenue-driven salaries in baseball. There are rich owners and there are richer owners. They determine what they spend. The average MLB team in the last three years made $133 million in strictly profit. That's going right into the owner's pockets. Did they share any of that with the players? Of course not, why should they it's not the leagues salary structure.

Now they are set for losses and they want players to share in 48% of total revenues? Maybe that's not that big a deal to the guy who'd only be making a couple hundred thousand dollars, but if I was some $30 million - $40 million player who was looking at the potential of making $5 or $10 million this year, I'd just milk the endorsements and stay home, safe with my family.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
sf2010 wrote: 3 years ago

It's not all about the money. One side or the other is going to take a bath unless there's a compromise.
Who should that be? The players or the owners? It all comes down to either one side agreeing to get completely hosed, or a compromised, equal hosing for all.
Not sure how I'll be able to sleep on my recliner this summer without baseball.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

From the little reading I have done on MLB's problem in terms of the same teams always winning, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, St. Louis, SF, etc., I side with the players. The players actually have a plan for helping the small market teams, the owners want to keep the status quo. I can't stand teams like the above 5 buying all the wins every year.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago

If crowds are allowed in arenas for sporting events, what will be the policy for virus containment? Will there be a much reduced capacity? Will there have to be x number of empty seats between fans with alternating rows left empty? No bathrooms or concessions? Scheduled entrance times and staggered exits? Body temperature screenings? There are a lot of unknowns.
Come October no one will care about virus unless they are over 70, even then most wont let it stop them. Mild precautions will be taken to alleviate congestion in buildings. One idea is to increase the length of halftime so people can stagger going to restroom and concessions.

Buried on page 12 of the Massachusetts daily virus reports is the most important stat that is largely ignored - AVERAGE age of death In Mass is 82.I quiz everyone I see and ask them what they think the average age is based on what they see on tv - the answer is usually low 60s. It is perspective changing.

We need to find a way to keep the sick and elderly safe, but now that the wave is winding down life will be back to normalish soon.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

Come October no one will care about virus unless they are over 70, even then most wont let it stop them. Mild precautions will be taken to alleviate congestion in buildings. One idea is to increase the length of halftime so people can stagger going to restroom and concessions.

Buried on page 12 of the Massachusetts daily virus reports is the most important stat that is largely ignored - AVERAGE age of death In Mass is 82.I quiz everyone I see and ask them what they think the average age is based on what they see on tv - the answer is usually low 60s. It is perspective changing.

We need to find a way to keep the sick and elderly safe, but now that the wave is winding down life will be back to normalish soon.
If, as expected, the 2nd wave hits in the Fall, plenty of people will care.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I hope you're right, but I just don't think so. "Normal" to me means:
-no mask requirements
-no limitations on the number of people in a grocery store, bar, or restaurant
-sporting events without restrictions to attendance

The sad part is...'opening up' or 'loosening of restrictions' is really based on 'nothing'. It will be no safer on Day 1 of "you can do x" than it was the day before. It's all arbitrary timing and about control a this point. Gina is 'opening' two beaches on Monday...why Monday? Is that any safer than Sunday?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I agree with you 100 percent.

I also think there will be more accepted treatments available by that time.

There no doubt, will be less fear around it as time goes on.

Its not like the fear is progressing at all. Everyday people are getting less scared of it.

I mean at this point there isn't much of a reason to be that cautious about it. So long as you aren't a nursing home resident, old, or have a severely compromised immune system, your chances of dying are extremely thin.

I'm downtown Nashville right now and its pretty packed. Amost nobody is wearing a mask or giving a damn about social distancing.

You can only keep us animals caged for so long!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Phase 2 is June 1 in Rhide Island

I agree Ramster, at this point it feels like all momentum is towards a normal collegiate sports calendar, at least football and basketball. Both are likely to have limited fans, and both will be at the mercy of another late fall/early winter reemergence of the virus. I do still think both football and basketball will work to limit travel where possible to help limit potential exposure.
NCAA already allowing on-campus workouts June 1

I just don't see a shortened basketball season as many seem to think is the future - or no season at all.

The NCAA Division I Council on Wednesday voted to allow athletes in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball to resume voluntary on-campus workouts, beginning June 1
The move lifts a prohibition that has been in place since March, when the coronavirus pandemic resulted in a variety of actions shuttering college sports, including the cancellation of the NCAA basketball tournaments.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 231877002/
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The second wave will hit sooner due to all these states opening too soon.

Just wait and see.

Hospitals will fill up again, causing all kinds of problems.

CT casinos opening June 1st won't help.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Where do the athletes live on June 1? On campus? Who feeds them?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The second wave will hit sooner due to all these states opening too soon.

Just wait and see.

Hospitals will fill up again, causing all kinds of problems.

CT casinos opening June 1st won't help.

You mean the vast majority of hospitals will operate at about 50 percent capacity again?

The states that have been open aren't getting worse they're just testing more.

The second wave ain't happening in the summer. If it happens, it'll happen when flu season starts up again. When its colder.

The repercussions of trying to lockdown again?

It'll be pure hell in this ridiculously polarized country.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I can understand why people under 50 want to get out and get back to normal...they aren't going to get very sick from the virus, for the vast majority anyway.

But these people have parents and grandparents, who WILL suffer if their kids come into contact with them.

Even at 68 I'm willing to take some risks.....but how much is too much?

I agree, if there is another lockdown, total disaster awaits.

So try and avoid it, if at all possible.

People just aren't patient.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah, but its those kids grandparents choice whether or not they want to come in contact with them.

The older people will be more cautious on their own. I don't feel like we need the government to restrict people anymore.

Either way, it feels like we've been enduring all this forever now, but its only in its third month and I'd say our future looks significantly brighter now, than it did in March. I mean back then people thought millions and millions would die in every age demographic. We've come a very long way from that. Who knows how it'll be come November.

What we do know is the fact that this is becoming so politicized will only make figuring out the correct path from here on a lot harder.

From the "If you question the severity of the pandemic, then you must want people to DIE"

To " The government is using 5G to spread the Virus"

There's a lot of unnecessary vitriol in the middle. Keeps the skeptical from understanding important risks. Keeps the full on gung ho, wear your mask in your car folks, from being able to question the fear of the virus.
0 x