'19 PA C - Richard Rivers (Mississippi Valley State --> JUCO)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

'19 PA C - Richard Rivers (Mississippi Valley State --> JUCO)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Richard Rivers, Jr. - C
School: Peachtree Ridge
AAU:

Ht: 6'11"
Wt: 280

RANKINGS:
247 Sports: NR

INTEREST:
Rhode Island

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/richard-rivers-jr

Mississippi Valley State Stats: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -rivers-jr
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: '19 PA C - Richard Rivers (Mississippi Valley State Transfer)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

In one of the highlights, check the score...
0 x
mvsu_rhodyram
Jim Eitner

Unread post by mvsu_rhodyram »

I've seen him play a number of times and he is a player with a lot of potential. His ability to shoot the 3 as a big man is one of his strengths. His defense in the post is good. He is very good in the pick and roll or dribble handoff game. If he finds the right system he could be a big contributor for any team.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Seeing this guy discussed with URI makes me miss Ousmane more and more every day.
4 x
mvsu_rhodyram
Jim Eitner

Great player, would be an amazing fit for the Rams!
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Seeing this guy discussed with URI makes me miss Ousmane more and more every day.
Yeah
Last edited by rhodyfan3000 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't get this one. A center who only shoots threes and doesn't shoot them well (30%).
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

mvsu_rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Great player, would be an amazing fit for the Rams!
Gonna go out on a limb and gonna say you're a relative of Richard? :lol:
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Gonna go out on a limb and say if he only shoots threes, that A10 defenses will catch on quick. Get his ass in the paint. Great size.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I am ok with signing this kid. Only a frosh? Remember that Tyrese only shot 31% as a frosh and 32% last year ....
I wish there was tape of him on the block as well.

A big that does not clog the middle is the key to opening up the floor.
It is a must have piece in today's offense schemes.

Get him in better shape and we may have something.
1 x
mvsu_rhodyram
Jim Eitner

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago I am ok with signing this kid. Only a frosh? Remember that Tyrese only shot 31% as a frosh and 32% last year ....

He played injured for a little bit this year. He is actually an outstanding shooter capable of shooting 40% or better. As an avid watcher of Delta Devil basketball myself I've seen the growth Richard has had this past year. He is not only just a shooter, he's capable of scoring down low and has decent defense. He is absolutely terrific off the pick and roll or pick and pop. He has a high release so he is able to make contested jumpers and shoot over a lot of defenders. He could trim down a bit and he's been working on that in the weight room but he can be a great get for any team. Super underrated player.
1 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago I am ok with signing this kid. Only a frosh? Remember that Tyrese only shot 31% as a frosh and 32% last year ....

I'm not understanding your argument. You're saying a wing player who's shown no improvement as a 3 point shooter is an example of why we should get a center who's another bad 3 point shooter? Unless you find the 1% a major improvement

I don't know anything about the player, just think your logic is odd
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

No ..... Billyboy was unsure about the kid as he only shot 30%.
I am saying that a player that most here deemed a decent 3 pt shooter was not much better than this kid.
Chances are good he will improve more than Tyrese did - and this kid has the additional benefit of being 6'11".

He is better than a high school project. In my opinion, he is a worthy candidate to play a role on this team.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I may be in the minority but I am not a big fan of him. He reminds me of MIke Layssard but not as highly rated. He is a sit-out and a project as well, If by chance the not -sit rule passes all bets are off and I hope JH decides to stay.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kid likes to Jack 3s I say pass
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago No ..... Billyboy was unsure about the kid as he only shot 30%.
I am saying that a player that most here deemed a decent 3 pt shooter was not much better than this kid.
Chances are good he will improve more than Tyrese did - and this kid has the additional benefit of being 6'11".

He is better than a high school project. In my opinion, he is a worthy candidate to play a role on this team.
No way I’m using this kid in the same sentence as Tyrese. This is a guy that couldn’t even earn time on a low end Division 1 team that was terrible. This guy is the definition of a 13th man. We would be better off going with a smaller team next year if the rule doesn’t pass and get the best players possible. It might be difficult at this point, but why waste a scholarship just because we need size.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

How many chances will you get to improve our depth at the PF/C spot without simultaneously making a current player feel threatened?
This kid has the size to help us in an A-10 that is prioritizing the C position again. He is a different look offensively than other bigs we have.
In a little better shape, he would be a great piece to our puzzle.

We (myself included) state we need a serviceable big who can develop.
At 6'11" and 280lbs - with the ability to shoot a bit - this kid fits that description.
He has some college experience and is thus ahead of any high school project we could sign.

How about this - we have many Harris fans on this board. How happy would we be if Harris shot 30% from 3?
Last edited by rhodyblue12 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Average 12m, 4 pts, 2 boards and .2 blocks per game on worst team in the SWAC.

Is that where we're at? Maybe Cox sees a particular role for this player in his high post sets. Help me cause I ain't seeing it...
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyblue12
ARD

How about this: If the rule passes, bring him on and have him sit a year and get in better shape.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Folks I haven’t seen anything saying we’ve offered or are interested
0 x
mvsu_rhodyram
Jim Eitner

This is the best transfer that Rhode Island has targeted this year. Injury history but when healthy can score 20 a game.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

mvsu_rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago This is the best transfer that Rhode Island has targeted this year. Injury history but when healthy can score 20 a game.
I... think you are slightly underestimating how tough it is to score 20 a game. Like, do you mean if we play Amish basketball, a la Amish bowling, and play an extra half?
1 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

mvsu_rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago This is the best transfer that Rhode Island has targeted this year.
Just had to swing by to give this a MASSIVE lol.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

according to verbal commits he's already heard from Alabama, B.C. and Dayton so there's some interest for some reason.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

We need bigs that are eligible next season.
0 x
Clapton is God
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

mvsu_rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago I've seen him play a number of times and he is a player with a lot of potential. His ability to shoot the 3 as a big man is one of his strengths. His defense in the post is good. He is very good in the pick and roll or dribble handoff game. If he finds the right system he could be a big contributor for any team.
Okay mvsu, clearly you know this dude. What’s the story? You definitely see something in him that some on this Board do not.

Why is he leaving? What was the injury that impacted his numbers this year?
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We need Biggs eligible next season. In 21-22 he will be sitting on the bench behind the twins!! We will be playing walk-ons next year at this rate. Only grad transfers or eligible freshman need apply!!!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

You can add JH and Walker to the list he would be sitting behind. I would also add JUCO bigs to your list of applicants
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Some of y’all need to step back and settle down, eaither Cox and staff see something in him or we should be expecting more moves come. Correct me if I’m wrong but we’re still waiting on Fatts (please stay brotha) and I thought JH was a lock but with the uncertainty of the transfer rule and the attmosphers its created with Covid nothings for sure. I’m interested, looks like he has potential let’s just hope the “big tuna” gets a fit.
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Make the best of that last comment, wrote it squatting on the throne and didn’t proof read
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

mvsu_rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago This is the best transfer that Rhode Island has targeted this year. Injury history but when healthy can score 20 a game.
I take it back that I said you're a relative of Richard.

I'd say you ARE Richard, because this is the most outlandish post I have read on this board in months (and that's saying something).
0 x
Go Rhody
mvsu_rhodyram
Jim Eitner

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

I'd say you ARE Richard, because this is the most outlandish post I have read on this board in months (and that's saying something).
I am not Richard but I've seen him play a lot and he's a good, underrated player.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Yea that's my guess as well.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No way he is better than the twins come on now ??
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

This is just a ridiculous statement. This guy might not even be division 1 level talent. This kid makes Madding look like Jordan. We all heard how good he was and everyone that was after him.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Can we maybe not debate this possible recruitment as a bipolar argument? Either he sucks or he's awesome. Must it be one of the two? Could it actually be that Coach Cox see's something of a role for the player, so in turn expressed interest?

We're not the only school to take a look, so I repeat there is some interest, from some schools, for some reason. Instead of arguing back and forth with the new guy that is obviously a little over the top on Rivers, let's ask what Rivers could bring to the mix. Why would Dayton and Alabama give him a raised eyebrow? What role do they think he could play?

I absolutely love when people who know virtually nothing about a player/recruit decide at first news whether they love or hate the recruit based on their own weighted formulas of statistics and competition level.

I trust DC to identify the diamond in the rough, the dark horse and that only happens by paying attention. I trust that our recruiters are privy to much more data on these kids than we are in general, so, I defer to their better judgement.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Can we maybe not debate this possible recruitment as a bipolar argument? Either he sucks or he's awesome. Must it be one of the two? Could it actually be that Coach Cox see's something of a role for the player, so in turn expressed interest?

We're not the only school to take a look, so I repeat there is some interest, from some schools, for some reason. Instead of arguing back and forth with the new guy that is obviously a little over the top on Rivers, let's ask what Rivers could bring to the mix. Why would Dayton and Alabama give him a raised eyebrow? What role do they think he could play?

I absolutely love when people who know virtually nothing about a player/recruit decide at first news whether they love or hate the recruit based on their own weighted formulas of statistics and competition level.

I trust DC to identify the diamond in the rough, the dark horse and that only happens by paying attention. I trust that our recruiters are privy to much more data on these kids than we are in general, so, I defer to their better judgement.

When the poster says Richard is the best transfer
we've been involved with this year, it is totally fair game to laugh and ridicule such a baseless and ridiculous statement.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

He’s going Juco according to this guy

Last edited by steveystuds06 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

A few reasons why I don’t like this player:

1 - Very weary on a big who scores more from 3 than he does from 2.

2 - The fact he is 6’11 and averages 6.8 rebounds per 40 minutes is concerning.

3 - At least that other big you looked at who I didn’t like blocked shots. This kid had 3 blocks in 16 games.

Maybe he develops his game more but I see a big kid who wants to play like a 2 guard from the numbers. Would take significant development to get him playing like an A10 level 4/5 IMHO.

Edit: Ignore all of this LOL
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
Well nevermind then
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago A few reasons why I don’t like this player:

1 - Very weary on a big who scores more from 3 than he does from 2.

2 - The fact he is 6’11 and averages 6.8 rebounds per 40 minutes is concerning.

3 - At least that other big you looked at who I didn’t like blocked shots. This kid had 3 blocks in 16 games.

Maybe he develops his game more but I see a big kid who wants to play like a 2 guard from the numbers. Would take significant development to get him playing like an A10 level 4/5 IMHO.

Edit: Ignore all of this LOL
I agreed with everything you said.

This one was weird. Like some big, quick, hype push to try to convince us to take him. "Look at all of the big names that are interested in him". In reality, none of those teams were interested.

One day, a 6'11" kid is going to say, I want to be the rebounding leader of Div 1 NCAA ball. He's going to live in the paint, thrive on contact, have a bit of a mean streak, get 5 meaningful fouls a game, foul out nearly every game, but in a very intelligent calculated way, and get 10 put back points a game. And, he's going to be famous and probably make the NBA just for the effort.

I have no idea why 6'11" sized kids want to stand behind the arch and just chuck up threes all game, makes no sense to me.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

....so did we just get trolled from that tweet and this new poster anointing Richard as the second coming?
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago ....so did we just get trolled from that tweet and this new poster anointing Richard as the second coming?
I think so but it seems kind of pointless to me.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This thread is nutty...

OP how was URI interest in this player verified?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He will be another Tiger Womack
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Maybe playing pinochle ...
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Re: '19 PA C - Richard Rivers (Mississippi Valley State --> JUCO)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Good job to mvsu_rhodyram and whoever did that original deleted tweet, we fell for it. Richard Rivers is going to Lincoln Trail College.
0 x