Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Re: Fatts

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I obviously did not play D1 sport while at college, and I certainly didn't have a job that would be $150k plus waiting, BUT I can say a decade after graduating that I would easily sacrifice a year of work for another year at college. I'd sacrifice 3 years of working for 1 more year of college.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But is playing basketball in Europe or Australia, Argentina, China, etc really working?
I’d take the $150k in a heartbeat and go play overseas
Classes might all be remote anyway if he stays at URI - not much fun with that.
Could even take a class or 2 remote from Europe or wherever he lands.

I’d wait longer as many have said already, no need to announce prior to the NCAA announcement May 20. No hurry.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago I obviously did not play D1 sport while at college, and I certainly didn't have a job that would be $150k plus waiting, BUT I can say a decade after graduating that I would easily sacrifice a year of work for another year at college. I'd sacrifice 3 years of working for 1 more year of college.
I think you're looking at it like a traditional undergrad, though. It's different if you're on an athletic scholarship - You're essentially working a full-time job AND also going to college. Yes, you get some benefits for that - school gets paid for, you might get positive attention from other students and people outside campus, etc. - but it's not like it means another year of partying for Player X. And besides, if that's what he's interested in, it's not like that is more difficult when he's a young professional, and flush with cash.
2 x
alldayrhodyrams02
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by alldayrhodyrams02 »

I’d be so disappointed if Fatts left! He is easily my favorite player on the team. Being a female I wasn’t really into basketball at URI but my boyfriend that I met after college got me into URI basketball post-grad and started watching heavily 3-4 years ago. I basically grew up with the team with Fatts and it would be such a sad day for me if he left before he graduated. He is part of the reason I’m going to attend every single home game now with our season tickets. Going to games has become such a big, fun event for me and I look forward to watching the team play. Hope he stays!
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago I obviously did not play D1 sport while at college, and I certainly didn't have a job that would be $150k plus waiting, BUT I can say a decade after graduating that I would easily sacrifice a year of work for another year at college. I'd sacrifice 3 years of working for 1 more year of college.
I think you're looking at it like a traditional undergrad, though. It's different if you're on an athletic scholarship - You're essentially working a full-time job AND also going to college. Yes, you get some benefits for that - school gets paid for, you might get positive attention from other students and people outside campus, etc. - but it's not like it means another year of partying for Player X. And besides, if that's what he's interested in, it's not like that is more difficult when he's a young professional, and flush with cash.
Completely agree.
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
The one difference this year is that he could profit of his NIL.

Completely agree.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Not surprising.

0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

URI96 wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago

The one difference this year is that he could profit of his NIL.

Completely agree.
Not in effect until 21-22.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This is certainly an encouraging graphic that Fatts just posted on his IG account. :D
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FATTS still unsure about return to Rhody per his IG STORY
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wasn't today supposed to be his decision day?

My guess is he waits until the vote this week.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Thought someone said he was announcing his decision today
They said next Monday which I just assumed to be the 18th
What time is the announcement?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Last edited by LoveThoseRams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I graduated relatively recently, but these dudes have taken social media to another level lol. My interpretation from Fatts's Instagram is NBA or RHODY.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago This is certainly an encouraging graphic that Fatts just posted on his IG account. :D
Surprised they have Crutcher ahead of Fatts
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

nchof wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Fatts announced on his Instagram next Monday he will making his decision... whether that is going pro (nba or Europe), staying at Uri, or transferring to another college he left ever possibility open! He was calling rhody home and stuff but I’m gonna be completely honest it didn’t sound too good in terms of coming back to rhody! Hopefully I am wrong I want to him stay!
Did he actually say he was consider Transferring?
He didn’t say he was transferring but he mentioned how if he returns to college it may or may not be URI... he basically left me thinking that any type of move is still possible with him... whether it’s becoming a pro, coming back to uri, or transferring... To be announced next Monday
Today’s the day?
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Just going to keep this going. Fatts we need you to be the leader this year. Finish off your career as a Ram and a be a life long legend at Rhody.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fatts is not getting drafted imo. Crutcher has a shot, I think.

They have also pushed back the deadline to withdraw from the draft.

So if it's the NBA or Rhody, it might be a while before he decides anything.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is not getting drafted imo. Crutcher has a shot, I think.

They have also pushed back the deadline to withdraw from the draft.

So if it's the NBA or Rhody, it might be a while before he decides anything.
Realistically I don’t think it is the NBA, but more of playing overseas. I would be very surprised if Fatts comes back. If the Transfer rule doesn’t pass the team isn‘t very good and if does he can transfer and play at a big time program with exposure. The professional basketball equation is also in the mix.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 4 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago This is certainly an encouraging graphic that Fatts just posted on his IG account. :D
Surprised they have Crutcher ahead of Fatts
I'm not...Crutcher is the real deal.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea Crutcher got the best of Fatts in both matchups this year.

You can flip flop both of them and it’d be fine, if they both come back they’ll be First team pre season all conference and the frontrunners for POY.
2 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Awfully quiet on an important day.

Odd for Fatts to not announce a time for his announcement.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Yea Crutcher got the best of Fatts in both matchups this year.

You can flip flop both of them and it’d be fine, if they both come back they’ll be First team pre season all conference and the frontrunners for POY.
Agreed he is the real deal and he got the best of Fatts head to head. Overall body of work i would think most would have Fatts ahead. Would love to see both return this year for another matchup.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

You’ve got to know when to hold “em...

No hurry Fatts! Play it out.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago
Is there a pro and con to that?

Pro very obvious, until he makes a decision it's very possible he comes back.

The con being, is it possible there are transfers (more specifically grad transfers) who want to make a decision and would commit to URI if Fatts left, but instead choose elsewhere because they don't feel like waiting anymore? Therefore you potentially get double-wacked at the end by losing out on Fatts and also potential transfers who could have helped next season?
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago
Is there a pro and con to that?

Pro very obvious, until he makes a decision it's very possible he comes back.

The con being, is it possible there are transfers (more specifically grad transfers) who want to make a decision and would commit to URI if Fatts left, but instead choose elsewhere because they don't feel like waiting anymore? Therefore you potentially get double-wacked at the end by losing out on Fatts and also potential transfers who could have helped next season?
If Fatts leaves next year will be tough. Under any possible scenario, Fatts coming back puts us in the top 4 of the A10.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Even if Fatts comes back it will be a tough year without some eligible inside help.
Last time I checked Fatts can't defend the post and JH , and AW haven't
shown that they can stay out of foul trouble. Those two will need to
take a big step up and we will still be sooo thin up front.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Agree with CHICO 78, I am not that optimistic for next year even with Fatts. It depends on how Cox fills out the roster and Wednesday's vote on the no-sit rule. Our front court is very questionable and we currently have no depth. This past year with both Jeff and Cyril we finished third in the conference.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Honestly, I'm ready to move on.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Honestly, I'm ready to move on.
Wait lemme guess. Fatts then turns into one of those “he’s dead to me, screw him, let’s delete every thread ever about him and never speak about him again” players??

Nah, I’ll gladly take him back next year.
2 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

We have a very thin team depth wise if the transfer rule doesn’t pass. They would not only need Fatts to return to be top 4, but also two immediate adds that can play and make an impact in the front court or even one spot on the wing. Fatts is too small to carry this type of team on his back without the rule passing. There is no Dowtin, Cyril, Tyrese or Toppin to help him next year. The freshman will be good players, but are too young at this point.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Wait lemme guess. Fatts then turns into one of those “he’s dead to me, screw him, let’s delete every thread ever about him and never speak about him again” players??

I don't recall ever saying something like that about any player. I have said that I don't think he is a good team player and a poor leader.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago

I don't recall ever saying something like that about any player. I have said that I don't think he is a good team player and a poor leader.
It's only May but you just won Most Asinine Post of the Year.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Is today still the day?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago

Me or 72?

I don’t think what I said was even close to being asinine.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Me or 72?

72. You can't fix stupid.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Me or 72?

72. You can't fix stupid.
No but you can fix Jimmy Baron's FT mechanics. /s
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Did he actually say he was consider Transferring?
He didn’t say he was transferring but he mentioned how if he returns to college it may or may not be URI... he basically left me thinking that any type of move is still possible with him... whether it’s becoming a pro, coming back to uri, or transferring... To be announced next Monday
Today’s the day?
Any news on what was to be the big announcement for today based on Fatts’ IG a week or so ago?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Now you've gone and done it...you know Fatts reads this. There's no way he's coming back now. Thanks for wrecking the season.
1 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I hate to say this but I believe we’ve watched Fatts for the last time in a URI uniform. Depending of the virus I can see him playing in Europe for good money. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does. ( unless he transfers to a different school)
0 x
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

Today’s the day?
Any news on what was to be the big announcement for today based on Fatts’ IG a week or so ago?
I’ve been waiting all day but I guess at this point he is not saying anything... he definitely said on his Instagram live it would be today I wouldn’t lie about that to KB... another poster brought up that the transfer vote is Wednesday maybe Fatts was trying to say this week... sorry again if people were waiting today for his post!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Today’s the day?
I’ve been waiting all day but I guess at this point he is not saying anything... he definitely said on his Instagram live it would be today I wouldn’t lie about that to KB... another poster brought up that the transfer vote is Wednesday maybe Fatts was trying to say this week... sorry again if people were waiting today for his post!
Doesn't matter...72 already blew it for us....
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Honest to Christ, you grown men are pathetic. Criticizing a hard-working young man who has done nothing but provide many of the greatest moments in the history of this University while you sit in your sad little hovel muttering about these damn kids. Get stuffed you sad turd.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Today’s the day?
I was there in the live steam as well when he said he was gonna announce today so he ain’t lying but we know how people change their minds frequently so it might be later in the week when he makes this decision
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He's got plenty of time to decide.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If you believe Fatts is a good teammate and/or a good leader, then show your love for Fatts by making your case. Compare him to Jeff Dowtin. Do you believe Fatts' off-season act, year after year, promotes team unity? Do you think his selfish play promotes team basketball? Make your case.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago If you believe Fatts is a good teammate and/or a good leader, then show your love for Fatts by making your case. Compare him to Jeff Dowtin. Do you believe Fatts' off-season act, year after year, promotes team unity? Do you think his selfish play promotes team basketball? Make your case.
The exception proves the rule: how many kids in URI's combined his exceptional studies, was as good a teammate, as skilled a player as Dowtin? You do also realize there are NINE HUNDRED kids in the transfer portal right now?! This is the new normal, and kids evaluating things every offseason will continue whether we like it or not. How can we sit and complain about expenditures and commitment by URI admin towards the basketball program, yet expect the players to ignore this and not think critically about things with their newfound freedom?

Being a good teammate means being committed to where you choose to play and giving 100% of your devotion to lead by example, and not being half-hearted about the situation. I can't fault Fatts for taking a 360 degree review of where he's at, and if he comes back it means he is FULLY INVESTED.

As for "selfish play", this is one area where Jeff was imperfect. He was so efficient as a scorer, but could have scored 20+ easily if he forced the action more. Seeing that from an otherwise impeccable player in Dowtin, makes me appreciate the stones that Fatts has and determination to gets things done even more. Erring on the aggressive side is a great thing when we see what he is capable of. Fatts improved tremendously as a shooter and finisher this past season.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago
You do also realize there are NINE HUNDRED kids in the transfer portal right now?! This is the new normal, and kids evaluating things every offseason will continue whether we like it or not.
I'm going to jump in here, mainly as a devil's advocate, although not entirely sure how I feel.

You are right, there are an increasing number of transfers every single year. That will only increase with the new rules.

But what Fatts is doing, it feels like he's almost holding the school hostage because of how public this all is.

It's public that Fatts is open to the idea of moving on, whether professionally or to another school. Yet, he hasn't formally announced either move.

URI is stuck, because while they know Fatts is open to other things, there is hope he comes back.

There may have been grad transfers or recruits who URI may have been able to get if Fatts said "I'm out," but instead this prolonged experience might have them committing elsewhere because they don't want to wait around.

And all of that makes it uniquely different from most other transfers, who announce their intent within a few weeks to a month, and allow the school to move on -- move on with planning for next season, move on with pursuing recruits/transfers, etc.

The fans, the coaches, the roster, everyone is at the mercy of Fatts' decision.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Fatts is a young man who will make his decision when he is ready and comfortable and that is how it should be. He is holding nobody hostage and he fill follow the correct guidelines set forth by the NCAA. Cox and the staff are more aware of the situation then any of us and I am sure they have dialogue with him. He will follow his own timeline and should not allow any outside pressure force him to make any hasty decision. I have enjoyed watching him here and it has been a fun ride, his basketball maturity has really grown. He owes us nothing and we all need to be reminded of that.
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Jersey77 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is a young man who will make his decision when he is ready and comfortable and that is how it should be. He is holding nobody hostage and he fill follow the correct guidelines set forth by the NCAA. Cox and the staff are more aware of the situation then any of us and I am sure they have dialogue with him. He will follow his own timeline and should not allow any outside pressure force him to make any hasty decision. I have enjoyed watching him here and it has been a fun ride, his basketball maturity has really grown. He owes us nothing and we all need to be reminded of that.
I would argue he's holding the program hostage because he's making it harder to work any contingency plans ... Like what if Ant Nelson is sitting there this week telling URI "I want to commit this week and I would like it to be to you but I want to play and I need to know if Fatts is going to be there or not?" And by the end of the week URI has to go "Sorry Ant we don't know what he is going to do?" so Ant goes "Sorry but I'm going to have to follow the playing time then." Now 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks from now, Fatts makes his decision, and if he comes back it's great for URI, but if he goes elsewhere, who knows how many other moves they could have made with the open playing time to at least make URI representative next season.

I think that's uniquely different than a guy who goes "Thank you I'm out," and the school knows exactly at that time the player is gone and can plan accordingly. That's not to say this is the wrong process for him, that it's well-thought out and what not, but it doesn't mean he isn't jamming the program at the same time by possibly preventing them from moving on in the event he is leaning elsewhere.
1 x