'16 Australian SG - Jonah Antonio (UNLV --> Wake Forest)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '16 Australian SG - Jonah Antonio (UNLV Grad Transfer)

Unread post by RamStock »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Dude he broke his thumb 5 games into the season. Try breaking your thumb in the middle of the year and playing at a very consistent high level in d1. His shots almost entirely were from 3. And he still finished over 30%. Look at the games right after he returned from injury. He struggled a little due to rust and impact of the injury from 3. Going 1-5, 1-6, 2-8, 3-8, 2-9, 1-8. Then he started to catch his groove back and went the next few games 5-12, 5-10 and 4 for 13. Prior to the injury he was 10 for 28 from 3 for 36%. Give the guy a break we understand you said it ten times you like those other three better. Guess what those other three have to sit out next year. Just because he didnt play up to your standards last year doesnt mean he cant fit in well and become a good piece for uri next year. What happened last year doesnt mean it is going to happen next year. Everyone always says we need a shooter. Well we get one and people complain or bash him. Is there positive attitudes at all in some of you posters?
Sorry to upset you Dude! You are on the other end and praise every roll player or recruit that we get as if that will be the final piece to getting to the sweet 16. Just as you get upset at any criticism to the program it is exhausting to listen to you to act like every decision URI makes is a great one and can’t be questioned by anyone. I’m sure when Aris was signed you talked of how great it was for only that Cox brought him in so it must be right. It is okay to have a different opinion. If no one had different views that it would simply be everyone praising every single player we get and trashing the guys that leave like Martin, Toppin and Long because URI couldn’t ever be at fault.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Dont put words in my mouth. I never praise every move I ripped Thorr and have said cox has missteps. Couldn't care less what you think to be honest. You opinions are so out of touch. You getting tiring listening to you repeat the same negative thing every day. We get it dont have to post it 15 times in 7 different threads. I only defend the program and cox and the decisions when people on here make rediculous takes.
Last edited by sevegny7 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OhioRam32 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Oh noes! Not a broken thumb! aiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Do you think BYU and Depaul know? Should we tell them?

How long do you think it takes a broken thumb to heal? 25 years? Do you think he'll be able to thumb wrestle his grand kids one day?
I'm sorry, but what? Those two takes you had are ridiculous. I have never expressed I disagree with a poster but this...this...I have to address. 1. Comparing Lebron to a grad transfer from UNLV is ludicrous. 2. Have you never been injured or broken a bone? That takes time to heal and more importantly, it can take time to brush some rust off. I have broken several bones, including a couple of vertebrae and no I was not talented enough to play at UNLV or URI but that didn't change the fact that it took me some time to recover even after I started playing again. I was not a fan of this kid and then I finally did some research and discovered his injury this year and I began to understand why his numbers fell dramatically. However, at the end of the year, he was getting back to where he was. I changed my mind on him today because of that. And very important with him, is that he is without a doubt immediately eligible. I think his acquisition could be very important and beneficial.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Dont put words in my mouth. I never praise every move I ripped Thorr and have said cox has missteps. Couldn't care less what you think to be honest. You opinions are so out of touch. You getting tiring listening to you repeat the same negative thing every day. We get it dont have to post it 15 times in 7 different threads. I only defend the program and cox and the decisions when people on here make rediculous takes.
Good, we are in agreement then as I could care less what what you think also. Your opinions are vanilla as you just back everything URI does blindly. You complain every time someone questions something with the program. Your normal take is "here comes all the negative takes after a Toppin or Martin transfers." Guess what, that is what is going to happen on a discussion board. Your views are if URI signs a player/transfer he must be great and we will dominate the A-10. URI loses a player and there was a reason that he left and it isn't a big loss anyway.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Biggest error on all of KB blog is without a doubt when people say "I could care less".

It is "I could NOT care less".

If you could care less, that means that you actually care about said topic. If you could NOT care less, that means you do not care about said topic.

Pet peeve I have. Along with irregardless. Back to me adding nothing of value to this blog.
6 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.review ... 16450/amp/

Injury to left thumb ligament, non-shooting hand. Sounds like he had problems getting back into rhythm after the injury.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Biggest error on all of KB blog is without a doubt when people say "I could care less".

It is "I could NOT care less".

If you could care less, that means that you actually care about said topic. If you could NOT care less, that means you do not care about said topic.

Pet peeve I have. Along with irregardless. Back to me adding nothing of value to this blog.
I'd say that's the biggest error in the WORLD.

I correct people every single time they say "I could care less."

Irritates me more than it probably should. :lol:
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

C'Mon, Jonah, You're up, baby. Virtual fist bump waiting. (I'll try not to hit the gimpy thumb) I kid, I kid.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago C'Mon, Jonah, You're up, baby. Virtual fist bump waiting. (I'll try not to hit the gimpy thumb) I kid, I kid.
"Take my strong hand!"
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wonder if he waits until later to get a gage on if the transfer rule passes or not ?? It could effect his playing time if he commits somewhere too early ??
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Wonder if he waits until later to get a gage on if the transfer rule passes or not ?? It could effect his playing time if he commits somewhere too early ??
That's absolutely what I would do.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Ramrod wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago Wonder if he waits until later to get a gage on if the transfer rule passes or not ?? It could effect his playing time if he commits somewhere too early ??
That's absolutely what I would do.
He could end up with less options if the transfer rule passes. So it may not pay to wait.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Hearing Jonah is next in line to join the Rhody family.
7 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Hearing Jonah is next in line to join the Rhody family.
Seriously? From who?
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

That sounds really good. Brings us to 8 eligible for next season, prior to Fatts making a decision. This is a big get in the greater scheme of things.

Look forward to welcoming Antonio as a Ram
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Hearing Jonah is next in line to join the Rhody family.
Seriously? From who?
When someone has an inside source, the unspoken rule has always been, you don't reveal the source else that's the end of the stream of information.

We have had a handful of such posters in the past who were very reliable. Joe95 proved to be on the Betrand move, there's no reason to doubt him here.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Joe’s source is legit and he’s right, again.
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Seriously? From who?
When someone has an inside source, the unspoken rule has always been, you don't reveal the source else that's the end of the stream of information.

We have had a handful of such posters in the past who were very reliable. Joe95 proved to be on the Betrand move, there's no reason to doubt him here.
Oh I'm just excited. I believe him.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Joe’s source is legit and he’s right, again.
I don’t know Joe but if DC_Rams confirms it I’ll believe it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice sounds promising
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Anybody got timing of potential commit?
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Wake Forest might be making a late run.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Wake Forest might be making a late run.
Where’d you see that?
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Wake Forest might be making a late run.
Where’d you see that?
He liked a few tweets related to Steve Forbes who was just hired as head coach of Wake Forest. I'm still hearing Jonah will be a Ram by the end of the week.
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Checking out this highlight video of Jonah in his freshman year at Mt. Saint Mary's. All I can say is wow can this kid get rid of the ball quick and we have not had a shooter with his ability since Jimmy Baron.

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's what I noticed too, an extremely quick release.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I’m not going to believe anything until he announces based on his history.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago That's what I noticed too, an extremely quick release.
Very smooth too, I know the percentages are not anything to rave over but this is the type of player I wish we could get here for 4 years. Shooters shoot
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I’m not going to believe anything until he announces based on his history.
Yeah, and we have a history of being burned at the altar.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Fingers crossed. My gut feeling is the transfers are not eligible this year, and Jonah could make a big impact here at Rhode Island this one season.

Will have to wait and see as one or two big names make a last minute play for him.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jonah and a big for the final spot would be a nice way to fill out this class.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm not as optimistic about the big, unless it is as DC said, someone who actually isn't in the portal yet that we have a potential eye on.

At least, based on what some like DC have said, it doesn't look like we a going to grab a big just for the sake of grabbing one, but will be patient and grab one only if he can be a difference maker over the long haul, not a project taking up space on the bench.

In that sense, I was intrigued by TT, because at least one side of his game was head and shoulders above any of the left over bigs and JUCOs out there. Too bad Basketball wasn't Football, you could just play him on one side of the ball and not the other. lol. In that case, he wouldn't even be available right now.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

True about your thoughts on a big, but all we really need is 1 year that they can provide some help off the bench. It seems that in today's climate it is hard to count on any player for the long haul whether thy feel they can trade up or not satisfied with the minutes they do get, so they bolt.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Aside from that, I would still take TT and what he could bring for 1 year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Jonah can absolutely stroke it and has deep range, agree haven’t had a shooter like this since Jimmy B
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

After looking at the stats...(injury period included). This guy appears to be wildly inconsistent. He can light you up and go 3-5 in 17 minutes just as easily as he can go 0-3 in 4 minutes. If you look at both college seasons, there are a lot of 1-4, 0-3, 1-6..type of numbers and then he'll have a few games where he puts up numbers similar to 4-12, 6-11, & 5-10.
In games against Kansas St, UCLA, San Diego St, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Marquette, & one against Nevada (other one against Nevada he did better), he didn't perform well from 3pt range at all. Makes me curious as to weather he can make his shots against good competition or only lesser caliber teams.
On the plus side, his overall percentage seems to improve. Hopefully, in his final year he can be more consistent game to game and be just what URI needs if he decides to come play at Rhody.
Personally, I'd like to see him go 2 - 5 or 3 - 7 from 3pt each game rather than 1 - 6 one game & 6 - 11 the next.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It almost doesn't matter if he goes 1 -6 in a game, the point is he is a threat from DEEP. No more packing the zone against us. It will be a huge difference. Add that Jeremy is a supposed to have good range, DJ appears to be a very good shooter this will open up lanes for Fatts to do his thing.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago It almost doesn't matter if he goes 1 -6 in a game, the point is he is a threat from DEEP. No more packing the zone against us. It will be a huge difference. Add that Jeremy is a supposed to have good range, DJ appears to be a very good shooter this will open up lanes for Fatts to do his thing.
This is true, but if we don't have frontcourt players that are consistent threats to score, then teams will extend their defenses to stop outside shooting.

That's what happens to teams like Davidson.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago Personally, I'd like to see him go 2 - 5 or 3 - 7 from 3pt each game rather than 1 - 6 one game & 6 - 11 the next.
That would be nice for sure, but that is not really a reasonable expectation for high-volume outside shooters. There is a lot of volatility from game to game.

Please don't throw your keyboards at me for the comparison I'm about to make here (we saw what happened with the Lamar Odom comparisons a few threads over), but let's take a look at the stats from the best shooter most of us have ever seen in the URI uniform - Jimmy Baron.

Check out his Sr year stats: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... immy-baron. Way more good than bad (because he was the best), but plenty of low points on that graph. That's just the nature of the beast.

If Jonah can come in and be something like what Four McGlynn was intended to be - 1st or 2nd guard off the bench, provide some scoring punch and stretch defenses, maybe get hot for a couple games during the year and have a few games where he makes 5+ threes, we should take him in a heartbeat.
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

This is true, but if we don't have front court players that are consistent threats to score, then teams will extend their defenses to stop outside shooting.

That's what happens to teams like Davidson

True and That's where Taurean Thompson would be a great addition to the front line.

Put some combination of Fatts ( if he's here), Jonah, DJ and Sheppard at the 3 point line and play inside outside with JH and TT.

Would be very difficult to defend.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I could be missing something here, but where is there any evidence Antonio can be a legit shooting threat?

Hearsay, edited video clips, reputation from high school?

His 3 point % in his two years is pretty bad, and his highest % (33.8) is lower than either Four's or Jimmy's worst season (the two players whose names have come up in this thread). Yes he did shoot 40% in JUCO, but have to take that with a grain of salt.

Like I said, I may be completely missing something, but I feel like the only reason we (the staff and us fans) really want him is because he's eligible to play next year, and not because of his on court performance to date.
1 x
Go Rhody
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Much to my surprise, I kinda, sorta agree with this.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I could be missing something here, but where is there any evidence Antonio can be a legit shooting threat?

Hearsay, edited video clips, reputation from high school?
I mean, that's pretty much all any of us ever have lol
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago His 3 point % in his two years is pretty bad, and his highest % (33.8) is lower than either Four's or Jimmy's worst season (the two players whose names have come up in this thread). Yes he did shoot 40% in JUCO, but have to take that with a grain of salt.

Like I said, I may be completely missing something, but I feel like the only reason we (the staff and us fans) really want him is because he's eligible to play next year, and not because of his on court performance to date.
Definitely true, but I think there's also a narrative to how players get to their statistics. He looks like a good shooter, and his percentages last year can be explained in part by his hand injury.

For sure though, part of his appeal is that he's immediately eligible. We need warm bodies who can be considered good bets to contribute at least something, and if we can bring in a player who is a potential plus shooter I think we should do it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I like his quick release and the form on his shot. I'd be curious to see his percentage when he uses that quick release vs. his percentage when he has time to measure and shoot. He looks like a shooter, at least on tape.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If you are going to fill out your roster you need some guys willing to come off the bench. He is an experienced player who at a minimum has a role as a fundamentally sound deep threat with experience. If we have 4 players sitting out his role would be expanded considerably. I am totally on board with bringing him in for next season. It's only a one year committment and helps balance out the classes as well. Give the bloke a chance and open a recruiting area in Australia. We can add some Rhody fans from down-under.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also he had an injury last year that could have affected his shooting so if he is back to full strength look out
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm with these two guys (above). Make the best push we can. It could very well be the difference of having 7 or 8 eligible players next year, and he's more than serviceable. He should get major minutes if the NCAA squashes the transfers.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 years ago Jonah and a big for the final spot would be a nice way to fill out this class.
I call this strategy, "Jonah and the Whale"
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

And Wake Forest it is.

Can’t believe the sources all the time unfortunately.

Recruiting is a wacky part of the game.
0 x
Go Rhody