Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Re: Fatts

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Maybe I am in total denial but if the Transfer rule changes to immediate eligibility and Fatt's transferred to another school I would be floored. If Fatts returns he is the unquestioned leader of the team and if the rule changes he will be playing with more size than any team that he has been on. We also have some newcomers who have shown the ability to shoot the three at a decent clip. I do not see Fatts leaving, he seams to be a guy who believes in himself and he will be the straw that stirs the drink next season.

If the rule change does not pass he would have to sit a year which would be crazy at his age.

If Fatts has a guaranteed two way NBA contract offer (or better) then leaving would be understandable as a business decision even though it would be a bummer for the fans.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Don't be floored if he does transfer and the no-sit rule is granted for this year. He may enter the portal if he can get significant starter minutes in a high profile program which can make a deep tournament run. This national exposure may enhance his draft stock, which he may feel would be the best way to get to the next level. Then again, he might be comfortable with our current staff and players and not want to chance it. With the possible rule changes and all the transfers should make for an interesting year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

His older brother Dewayne plays for Merlins Crailsheim in Germany. He has played 2 years for Crailsheim and his first year in Europe he played in France. Dewayne is a similar player to Fatts. Bryce Cotton from PC plays a similar game and made a huge name for himself playing in Australia for the Perth Wildcats.

1) Fatts could go overseas for this fall and make money immediately. He could go to Germany and be near his brother. His type of game would be appreciated there and he could get immediate playing time. Dewayne has put up good numbers for Crailsheim. He can see the world.

2) He could stay at URI with only Jermaine a returning starter. He runs the risk of getting hurt. He is already 1st team Atlantic 10 so not much more to prove in this league or at this level of play. He runs the risk of shooting worse as well. He will get a lot of attention from the defense.

3) He could wait on the Rule Change which is likely to not allow immediate eligibility. This would mean he would sit out a year, then play a year and 2 years will have passed before he can go play overseas.

4) He could wait on the Rule Change that gives immediate eligibility. He could play with the Mitchell twins, Martin, etc. A better team at URI.

I would go overseas if it were me. Go for the money and fun. Jimmy and Billy Baron have done very well for themselves. Dewayne and Russell could have similar success. It's great to travel internationally at such a young age, any age for that matter.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Forgetting 1 scenario -- the G League. Not as much money (vs Europe) but do believe majority of guys are more comfortable there and feel its closer proximity to the league. I want him back but have always had a hard time envisioning him coming back to a team full of strangers. Similarly I find it hard to see him joining a new program where he doesn't have some type of pre-existing relationship or guarantee of role/playing time which I don't see any legit P5 doing.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

There are several immediate eligible players that were their team leaders and transferred to a higher profile program to try and raise their draft status.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not sure he would go the overseas route this year in lieu of what is currently going on. Also he may think his best bet to get to his ultimate goal, would be to stay put with all the uncertainties going on. This is what we all would hope.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Thought someone said he was announcing his decision today
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Thought someone said he was announcing his decision today
They said next Monday which I just assumed to be the 18th
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Would rather it be today so we can move on.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will guess overseas or G League I don’t think he plays in college for anyone other than URI
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Thought someone said he was announcing his decision today
Correct
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago
Correct
.........Monday Monday......the Mommas and Papas.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

He should have decided on a Tuesday, would be a much better possible thread title...
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago He should have decided on a Tuesday, would be a much better possible thread title...
I see what you did there! :D
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Surprised he is not waiting for the NCAA decision on transfers which I think is scheduled for 2 days later on the 20th. That makes you think he is staying?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Forgetting 1 scenario -- the G League. Not as much money (vs Europe) but do believe majority of guys are more comfortable there and feel its closer proximity to the league. I want him back but have always had a hard time envisioning him coming back to a team full of strangers. Similarly I find it hard to see him joining a new program where he doesn't have some type of pre-existing relationship or guarantee of role/playing time which I don't see any legit P5 doing.
True. I don’t think he makes the NBA. But G League would present that path if he wants to go that direction.
Since his older brother is playing in Germany I’d expect Fatts to follow the overseas path as well. We will all know soon.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Am I the only one here who thinks $150k to play ball in Europe isn’t all that great. Stay one more year, graduate and earn a degree. I think he’d be an idiot not to stay.
$150k for what? 8-10 years playing overseas? Then what?
I totally get these kids jumping ship to go pro to earn millions in the NBA. But it makes ZERO sense to me to leave school early to go play for $150k overseas.
Money is great.. but he’s got a long life to live.. the money will be there next year. Graduate, then go pro.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m going to remind you all of something that you already know...Fatts reads this board.

Every kid on the team knows KB exists.

They google their own names, frequently throughout the season.

If I were a college kid, I would do it too.

Hell, I do it now just to see what personal information is out there about me. (Spoiler alert: very little)

That is all.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Thanks for the reminder DC - however I think in this case we all want the player back badly. We will be upset, but understanding if he turns pro. There is no scenario where a transfer will be accepted kindly by the fans of this program. 1. Transfers are eligible we have a really good team (top 25 level team if he stays). 2. Transfers aren’t eligible, he is committing to sit a year rather than play with what will be a good team and if he advances as much as we think he will, can easily be a tourney team.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
I’m going to remind you all of something that you already know...Fatts reads this board.
Every kid on the team knows KB exists.

They google their own names, frequently throughout the season.

If I were a college kid, I would do it too.

Hell, I do it now just to see what personal information is out there about me. (Spoiler alert: very little)

That is all.
Hi Fatts! Whatever decision you make, I'm cool. You bring joy into the world - wherever you are and whatever you do..
6 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Same here. But I would love the Fattman returning for his senior season
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Fatts should be making a decision based what is best for him from a long term economic and lifestyle perspective just like any of us would do. I am not saying what that might be but that is the smart thing to do. I wish him nothing but the best whatever he decides to do he has earned that from all of us.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he thinks that there isn't going to be a season here, I can see him leaving for Europe where there might be a season, and he can make some decent money.

I'm sure he doesn't want to sit out transfer wise...and he could finish his degree online too.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Would love to see him break some records here at Rhody. Just love watching the kid play.
6 x
- Mr. Rogers
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'd love for my gut to be wrong on this one, he's a dynamic player and we are undoubtedly WAY better with him than without him.
7 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Am I the only one here who thinks $150k to play ball in Europe isn’t all that great. Stay one more year, graduate and earn a degree. I think he’d be an idiot not to stay.
$150k for what? 8-10 years playing overseas? Then what?
I totally get these kids jumping ship to go pro to earn millions in the NBA. But it makes ZERO sense to me to leave school early to go play for $150k overseas.
Money is great.. but he’s got a long life to live.. the money will be there next year. Graduate, then go pro.
I’d say 150k is pretty good to play ball for a season. Remember many euro teams pay for housing etc... play well and you and you’ll make prob more than the 150k the following seasons.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

As much as I want Fatts to return, I will hold no grudges if he leaves. He needs to do what’s best for him.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm thinking of what it would be like on senior night honoring one of the school's all time greats after he scores his 2000th point. But that's just me dreaming.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He should do what is best for him and his family. There are pro's and con's to all of his options. If he stays great, if he doesn't stay best of luck to him and hope he one day returns to URI to complete his degree here similar to Kenny Green and several others have done.

As someone posted earlier, I am surprised he would not wait until May 20 to learn of the NCAA decision on transfers

Fatts has a nice advantage over many players since his Brother Dwayne Russell has played 3 years in Europe, his 1st year in France and his last two in Germany. Fatts is close to his brother and visited him often when he was in Arizona playing for Grand Canyon (When Fatts narrowed his choices down Grand Canyon was one of his final schools). Fatts can learn a lot from the experiences of his brother whereas the majority of players trying to make decisions like these would not have that same advantage.
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable jumping over to Europe so soon after Covid19. I would want to stay domestic for a year to let it settle...but that's just me.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago .. the money will be there next year. Graduate, then go pro.
Conversely, college will be there when he retires from basketball. And by staying one more year simply to graduate, he's costing himself one year of earning potential on his basketball career.

Obviously there are many more factors bouncing around in his head than just that, many of them likely in favor of returning to URI: finish out career where he started it, be the unquestioned leader at a time when I believe he can handle it (unlike sophomore year when I think he struggled a bit with that responsibility), etc. But, he wouldn't be able to get back that lost $150K from his age-22 season.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’m with billyboy78, ideally Fatts chases 2000 points to become a historic Ram.

LAV insurance is available to protect from injuries which would jeopardize professional earnings. I’m sure Russell has coverage already. I see a likely return for a Senior season but no need to restate that covid19 makes nothing certain. He is 22 / elite one or two and done players are often set by the time they are 20/21.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago .. the money will be there next year. Graduate, then go pro.
Conversely, college will be there when he retires from basketball. And by staying one more year simply to graduate, he's costing himself one year of earning potential on his basketball career.

Obviously there are many more factors bouncing around in his head than just that, many of them likely in favor of returning to URI: finish out career where he started it, be the unquestioned leader at a time when I believe he can handle it (unlike sophomore year when I think he struggled a bit with that responsibility), etc. But, he wouldn't be able to get back that lost $150K from his age-22 season.
This is pretty much why I can never fault a kid for going pro, if he's got a realistic shot at making like, greater than $100k a year. That can be a life-changing amount of money, and realistically, Fatts is probably a marginal NBA prospect. His chances of making the league are probably the same if he's named like, A-10 POTY in 2020-21 vs. scoring 30 PPG in some European league. Grab the money while you're young, and finish the degree later.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody Guy wrote: 4 years ago Personally I wouldn't be comfortable jumping over to Europe so soon after Covid19. I would want to stay domestic for a year to let it settle...but that's just me.
I agree. For example, Ramster brings up Germany where Fatts' brother plays. Numbers in Germany are on the rise again after restrictions were relaxed. Of course, the same is expected here in the Fall. But since he's making his decision now, the U.S. could currently seem like the better option.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody Guy wrote: 4 years ago Personally I wouldn't be comfortable jumping over to Europe so soon after Covid19. I would want to stay domestic for a year to let it settle...but that's just me.
I agree. For example, Ramster brings up Germany where Fatts' brother plays. Numbers in Germany are on the rise again after restrictions were relaxed. Of course, the same is expected here in the Fall. But since he's making his decision now, the U.S. could currently seem like the better option.
Billyboy,

I went to research Germany following your observation. About a month or two ago I heard Angela Merkel describe the R Factor. You want to be below 1.0 R to have the virus disappear. This article also talks much about the R factor currently in Germany. They are not currently concerned because many of the new cases have appeared in meat packing plants where many immigrants work. They are confident they can address those cases.

I'd like to hear the US talk more about the R Factor and how to eradicate pockets as they sprout up moving forward, but I think Germany has had a good understanding of the virus and will continue in the future.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-52632369
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I’m going to remind you all of something that you already know...Fatts reads this board.
That is all.
Ya! So be nice! Don't want to give him the sads...
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago

I get that. However, how many guys go back and get their degree 10 years later? There’s life after basketball. Wealth is about sustainability.
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago As much as I want Fatts to return, I will hold no grudges if he leaves. He needs to do what’s best for him.
Can’t say the same, I will definitely hold a grudge. I agree he needs to do what’s best for him but how could you ever argue that going over seas is better than finishing off your last year of school. There’s so little loyalty left in the NCAA that if Fatts stays with us at Rhody he’ll be my all all time favorite Ram; probably forever. Fatts, if you’re listening, we love you, givem hell for one more year as a RAM!! PLEASE!!!!
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Also just have to say, I’ve got JH’s back because once Hurley jump ship, him Dana and the rest that initially stayed gave me hope. Loyalty!
2 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

What day is Fatts announcing? Crossing my fingers, he’s our only hope for a successful season. He’ll put up 22-25 pts a game with Sheppard as a scoring threat from outside that they can’t leave open.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

If the plan is Europe, what's the benefit of making an announcement now?
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

The game has changed for him.

His freshman year, there were a lot of senior leadership in the backcourt.

Last two years, he was expected to be prime time, but still had Dowton ahead of him to provide leadership.

Now. He would have to be that guy that provides the leadership to the younger players. The guy they look up to. The guy that sets the tone. Captain America.

Not everyone relishes that role.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago If the plan is Europe, what's the benefit of making an announcement now?
If the plan isn’t Europe, what’s the benefit of making an announcement now?

Maybe he just says he is not going to pursue the NBA and return to URI?

Or he is going to hire an Agent and pursue a professional career?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The game has changed for him.

His freshman year, there were a lot of senior leadership in the backcourt.

Last two years, he was expected to be prime time, but still had Dowton ahead of him to provide leadership.

Now. He would have to be that guy that provides the leadership to the younger players. The guy they look up to. The guy that sets the tone. Captain America.

Not everyone relishes that role.
I am pretty sure Fatts wants to be the man and I am pretty sure that he would be awesome at it.
6 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago If the plan is Europe, what's the benefit of making an announcement now?

International signings aren't happening now, won't be for months (if at all this year).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago

International signings aren't happening now, won't be for months (if at all this year).
This guy just announced Sunday

https://thesource.com/2020/05/10/gianni ... gh-school/
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Fatts will be wise to delay any announcement until 6/1

Other than letting us newsbags know there’s no benefit to him that I can see...
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wouldn't make any announcement, or decision for that matter, until I knew what was going on. Will there be college basketball? Will there be G-League basketball? Will there be Euro League basketball? Nobody knows. Why make a decision now? Unless someone is willing to give me a guaranteed contract regardless of whether or not games are played, I don't see the point right now.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Guys go to Europe every year. What is the point? Kids who are lottery picks can do a year over there if they are against college, but leaving college one year early to go to Europe? Europe isn't going anywhere. Stay and accomplish more. Then you can parlay those accomplishments into more.

Plus it is college?!?! ?! People lose sight of how priceless being in college is. It's not for everybody, but if it is for you, there won't be another shot at it.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Let me make a bold prediction - if there is no college basketball next year, then there likely will not be a professional league to play in either, in any country. May as well get the free education!
4 x