KMac leaving the ProJo

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: KMac leaving the ProJo

Unread post by PeteRI »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Mongo wrote: 4 years agoRIP Projo....
Now Ed Eichorn...editorial staff gone. It will be a shell of what it was. Newspapers are dying across the country.
I believe his name is Achorn.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

I know you guys did not like him but I used to call the sports dept a lot over the years. Kevin was really great to talk to always answered all questions I had and never felt like he was rushing me off the line or anything. Would always tell me anything he knew about recruiting, really nice guy.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago I know you guys did not like him but I used to call the sports dept a lot over the years. Kevin was really great to talk to always answered all questions I had and never felt like he was rushing me off the line or anything. Would always tell me anything he knew about recruiting, really nice guy.
I wouldn’t say everyone didn’t like him. He was a staple in RI news media for many years. The newspaper business days are over
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Now Ed Eichorn...editorial staff gone. It will be a shell of what it was. Newspapers are dying across the country.
What...wait...there's still newspapers?
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago I know you guys did not like him but I used to call the sports dept a lot over the years. Kevin was really great to talk to always answered all questions I had and never felt like he was rushing me off the line or anything. Would always tell me anything he knew about recruiting, really nice guy.
I wouldn’t say everyone didn’t like him. He was a staple in RI news media for many years. The newspaper business days are over
Yea could see that coming, guess I show my age I still love reading the paper.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I now can begin to see why a lot of people are protesting about lockdowns.....

Under age 50, the death rate from covid is miniscule.

They are willing to take the chance they'll get it, since the vast majority will either have no or few symptoms.

But for us older folk, not so lucky. We are going to have to social distance, etc. for quite a while.

Going out and mingling with younger people just won't work for us.....until most are tested......
They're still learning about this thing. I truly don't understand the people who say this was a massive overreaction and are demanding states reopen and go back to the way life used to be.

It just came out in the last week or so that it causes strokes in completely healthy people in their 30s and 40s. My wife and I enjoyed nights out going to dinner and really are jonesing to go out to dinner again, but I'm more than happy to make that sacrifice if it means I don't suffer a stroke.
I think at some point soon you need to let individuals and businesses decide for themselves. I was surprised when they basically stopped hospitals from doing the majority of work that they normally did. When the reduction in economic activity globally leads to increased poverty there could be some really disturbing side effects of this crisis. I recently made a couple of cash gifts via WU to friends that live in a poor country. They have fear of the virus but also valid concerns about their food supply.

Yahoo removed a viral video made by two medical doctors from California questioning the shutdown. I had viewed it and thought they made some good points. If its true that people are weakening their immune systems with all the cleaning, hand washing, social distancing etc. we could be worse off for all of the precautions. I had previously not even given that a thought. I'm good with numbers and was not sure about all of their data interpretations being valid with so many cases currently unresolved. I'm keeping an open mind.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago The people that will say after the fact "it was an over-reaction" won't realize that closing things down to flatten the curve and not overwhelm the hospitals is what made it SEEM like an over reaction.
Perhaps. Based on the testing going on it seems 10% of those tested are positive. Extrapolate that out to the whole country and you have 35 million positive cases. With 60,000 deaths. That would be a .17% death rate. I'm not downplaying it, yet.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I gave up on the home delivery of the Pamphlet a year ago, price just crazy, for a year now get on line for peanuts......I thought I would miss some of the barrels of ink in my hands, but no, withdrawal rook about a day or two......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They originally said 100-240 k deaths by Aug 4th then they lowered it to 60 k they shouldn’t have done that since we should hit 100 k deaths ??
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
I believe his name is Achorn.
Thank you spelling police :P
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

The current health crisis will push the demise of print papers more quickly to their end. Consuming news electronically is by far more timely, more accessible, and more prevalent. As it stands, very few print publications have found a way to adequately monetize their electronic offerings. Rather, it is the electronic-only platforms who are ahead of the game. The few advertisers who used to put money into print have all gone into their own quarantines. A Nashua NH paper is only publishing a print edition once a week (oddly, their Sunday edition, which will be delivered on Saturdays. Only in NH...). Lack of ads leads to an inability to pay staff. The few who clung to print out of habit are being driven to web based news delivery - and most likely liking it. Much like the demise of the print yellow pages took longer than expected, I'm sure print papers will hang around past their usefulness. However, just like those fat yellow books, newspapers will eventually join the 8 track as a cute, odd, delivery system of the past.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NHRamFan wrote: 4 years ago The current health crisis will push the demise of print papers more quickly to their end. Consuming news electronically is by far more timely, more accessible, and more prevalent. As it stands, very few print publications have found a way to adequately monetize their electronic offerings. Rather, it is the electronic-only platforms who are ahead of the game. The few advertisers who used to put money into print have all gone into their own quarantines. A Nashua NH paper is only publishing a print edition once a week (oddly, their Sunday edition, which will be delivered on Saturdays. Only in NH...). Lack of ads leads to an inability to pay staff. The few who clung to print out of habit are being driven to web based news delivery - and most likely liking it. Much like the demise of the print yellow pages took longer than expected, I'm sure print papers will hang around past their usefulness. However, just like those fat yellow books, newspapers will eventually join the 8 track as a cute, odd, delivery system of the past.
Ad rates are comically low for online content vs. print, radio or television. "Monetize their electronic offerings" are like, a combination of buzzwords I've heard since attending journalism industry conferences in 2005, when I was still an undergrad. Nobody has managed to do it yet, except for like The New York Times (a paper so big that it has national reach, and even then, they probably have less reporters now than in the past) and "one man band" outlets (meaning, 1 to 3 employees covering one town, and basically burning yourself out doing it). There have been plenty of attempts at the latter, even in RI, and most of them burnout after a few years. It's easy to look at hardcopy papers vs. electronic and go, "Hey, the industry should shift to the latter!", but 20+ years into this, the economics aren't there to support it.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
NHRamFan wrote: 4 years ago The current health crisis will push the demise of print papers more quickly to their end. Consuming news electronically is by far more timely, more accessible, and more prevalent. As it stands, very few print publications have found a way to adequately monetize their electronic offerings. Rather, it is the electronic-only platforms who are ahead of the game. The few advertisers who used to put money into print have all gone into their own quarantines. A Nashua NH paper is only publishing a print edition once a week (oddly, their Sunday edition, which will be delivered on Saturdays. Only in NH...). Lack of ads leads to an inability to pay staff. The few who clung to print out of habit are being driven to web based news delivery - and most likely liking it. Much like the demise of the print yellow pages took longer than expected, I'm sure print papers will hang around past their usefulness. However, just like those fat yellow books, newspapers will eventually join the 8 track as a cute, odd, delivery system of the past.
Ad rates are comically low for online content vs. print, radio or television. "Monetize their electronic offerings" are like, a combination of buzzwords I've heard since attending journalism industry conferences in 2005, when I was still an undergrad. Nobody has managed to do it yet, except for like The New York Times (a paper so big that it has national reach, and even then, they probably have less reporters now than in the past) and "one man band" outlets (meaning, 1 to 3 employees covering one town, and basically burning yourself out doing it). There have been plenty of attempts at the latter, even in RI, and most of them burnout after a few years. It's easy to look at hardcopy papers vs. electronic and go, "Hey, the industry should shift to the latter!", but 20+ years into this, the economics aren't there to support it.
Maybe because there are just so many options now? ...I use an ad blocker. If I get a link to a story, and they don't let me access it unless I turn off my ad blocker...I just look for similar story somewhere else. If I don't even have to turn off my ad blocker to get to what I want, there's no way you're going to get me to "pay" for online anything...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Native wrote: 4 years ago Welcome to the third decade of the 21st century.
Holy shit this is it.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

True journalism is being taken over by the embarrassment we call the blogging world where anyone with a keyboard can write a story or social media post.
1 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Actually, the PJB app is excellent. I highly recommend it.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
3mm's
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by 3mm's »

Notice that todays Sunday Journal has a larger obit section than it has for sports. Three pages to two.
Sad times in both ways.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

3mm's wrote: 4 years ago Notice that todays Sunday Journal has a larger obit section than it has for sports. Three pages to two.
Sad times in both ways.
Unfortunately that’s probably true for most newspapers around the country these days.
0 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

3mm's wrote: 4 years ago Notice that todays Sunday Journal has a larger obit section than it has for sports. Three pages to two.
Sad times in both ways.
The Obits is the Irish sports page after all. :lol:

I can't even remember the last time I bought a newspaper. I know there's that little local magazine SoRI that you can get for free at restaurants and coffee shops. I believe they're entirely going away now...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Sad times in both ways.

I can't even remember the last time I bought a newspaper. I know there's that little local magazine SoRI that you can get for free at restaurants and coffee shops. I believe they're entirely going away now...
That wouldn't surprise me - Things like SoRI, Motif, Providence Monthly, they rely heavily on display advertising from things like concert venues and restaurants. If they've already booked those ad contracts before March, maybe they can keep the money and piece together some future issues. Otherwise, the owner(s) are going to have to be willing to go deep in the red for a while.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
Sad times in both ways.

That wouldn't surprise me - Things like SoRI, Motif, Providence Monthly, they rely heavily on display advertising from things like concert venues and restaurants. If they've already booked those ad contracts before March, maybe they can keep the money and piece together some future issues. Otherwise, the owner(s) are going to have to be willing to go deep in the red for a while.
In SE CT, the same thing just happened to a very popular bi-weekly called The Resident.

All the ad revenue has dried up.....after 30 years, no more.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Our ProJo delivery person told us this is her last week. The ProJo is cutting the rates it’s paying drivers and, for her, the job is no longer worth it. It’ll be interesting if they can find someone to fill those roles. If not, I’m going all electronic version.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even when businesses open again, how many people won't be rehired?

And even the ones who do go back, how many get their pay cut?

How many businesses never reopen? Especially small ones, the lifeblood of so many people?

And wait for it.....since the national debt will be increased by trillions, what happens when inflation comes roaring back?

Life will never be the same for millions, even after the virus is gone. Some legacy.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Even when businesses open again, how many people won't be rehired?

How many businesses never reopen? Especially small ones, the lifeblood of so many people?

And wait for it.....since the national debt will be increased by trillions, what happens when inflation comes roaring back?

Life will never be the same for millions, even after the virus is gone. Some legacy.
I know people that were temporarily furloughed and told not to worry as their jobs would be there for them to return to after the health crisis subsided. Several of them got word late last week that this would no longer be the case as their positions are now being permanently eliminated. Even the people that are fortunate enough to return to their jobs will feel the effects. Their employment future may well involve salary freezes and pay cuts, 401k contribution suspensions, possible further layoffs down the road, and even the specter of their company closing.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Even when businesses open again, how many people won't be rehired?

I know people that were temporarily furloughed and told not to worry as their jobs would be there for them to return to after the health crisis subsided. Several of them got word late last week that this would no longer be the case as their positions are now being permanently eliminated. Even the people that are fortunate enough to return to their jobs will feel the effects. Their employment future may well involve salary freezes and pay cuts, 401k contribution suspensions, possible further layoffs down the road, and even the specter of their company closing.
It's a good time to bring more manufacturing back to the USA. Why leave any critical items to be manufactured elsewhere? It's a lot easier to staff new ventures when there are a large number of unemployed. I would not expect any wage inflation in the short term.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Our ProJo delivery person told us this is her last week. The ProJo is cutting the rates it’s paying drivers and, for her, the job is no longer worth it. It’ll be interesting if they can find someone to fill those roles. If not, I’m going all electronic version.
.......I pulled the plug on home delivery months ago......neva looked back and have not missed the shrinking barrels of ink......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Sad times in both ways.

Technically I think it's called the "Irish Comics"
1 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

Yep many companies, including mine, have dusted off their cost reduction playbook and are taking action. Many of the things you mention above, plus others.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yep the unemployment rate will likely not go below double digits even when this is mostly over.

Won't be enough jobs out there, and many that are will be low paying ones.

When it comes to travel, the airlines and cruise lines won't be the same either.

Business plane trips will be cut way back with many more working from home.

And cruises will suffer too....most who go on cruises are older/retired folks, who won't be in any hurry to go due to the risk factor.

I was planning on going on a cruise soon...not now.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

You couldn’t pay me to go on a cruise now.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

URI96 wrote: 4 years ago
Sad times in both ways.

Technically I think it's called the "Irish Comics"
As someone who's extremely Mc and had one set of grandparents OTB from Ireland, it's the sports page. :lol:
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago You couldn’t pay me to go on a cruise now.
Exactly. Who the hell wants to go on a floating toilet, and I called them that before COVID even happened. Nasty. They don't deserve to be bailed out.
0 x