‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Nebraska)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: ‘20 MD Elijah Wood (URI ---> Prep Year)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jcsu1980 wrote: 4 years ago Elijah graduated from high school already and past the sat , this post is full of negative criticism that ran him out of town 🤔🏀
If a recruit decommits strictly because of message board talk, and doesn't want to shut those people up and prove them wrong with his on court play, I'd rather not have the kid play here.

That screams being mentally weak.

I haven't had an opinion on Wood one way or another, but if what you're saying is true, that this thread "ran him out of town" before he even started playing here, he's running away from criticism and weak minded.

Pass.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Passing and passing the NCAA clearinghouse can be two completely different things. Either way, like I said, I don't like to force committed players out, but in this case, the player removed himself from the equation, so more better
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Jcsu1980 wrote: 4 years ago Elijah graduated from high school already and past the sat , this post is full of negative criticism that ran him out of town 🤔🏀
Shoulda seen it before “postdeletefest”

Crushed
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago

Crushed
I seriously find it hard to believe that our great message board has anything to to with his decision not to come to URI ??
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If the thought was that this message board treated him bad, what until he reaches his next destination. Making himself an easy target.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Sounds like a pretty tough Kid if that is the case. Things won’t be easy going forward for the next 40+ years if this is the reason
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago

Crushed
I seriously find it hard to believe that our great message board has anything to to with his decision not to come to URI ??
Seriously? Why the fuck would a 18 year old kid be browsing through "keaney blue"??? Come on.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

First of all...........they all read this garbage.
Secondly.............to treat a teenager the way these forum's posters do, IMO is CYBER-BULLYING.
3 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

I’d be curious to know just how much space these crazy forums occupy in these very young kids minds. I know if there was a thread with my name on it I’d have no choice but to read it every day.

We should all be required to have a link to our Facebook pages or use our real names. I’m sure the tone would change big time if there was no anonymity.
2 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

I'm not in agreement with this new push to make the message board an arm of the URI Athletic Office PR team. People should be able to say whatever the hell they want on a message board including not liking a recruit. I'm just not a fan of the repetition. It looked like a wall of angry fans that didn't want Elijah Wood but it was really just a handful of posters that felt they needed to beat everyone over the head with their opinion so that there could be no question at the end when they said "I told you so."
8 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Anyone paying attention knows I can't stand the negativity posted about our own players or recruits, but I agree this is an exercise in free speech, I just think the members that post negative shit at a constant tilt should have to read daily criticisms of themselves posted on public forums and see how it affects their attitudes. It's utterly abusive, childish, uncalled for and embarrassing. I hope your wives tell you everyday how you're just not that good at love making and maybe you can watch and learn from the end of the bench.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Posted some crazy stuff about “Nebraska Offered”?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago If the thought was that this message board treated him bad, what until he reaches his next destination. Making himself an easy target.
Well, you would be first in line that's for sure with this kid.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Wait, I'm confused. I thought it was slim who didn't think much of Wood.

The rest of us were more in shrug your shoulders mode. I'm willing to give any recruit a few years to see if they pan out.

The bottom line is, if the player was an academic risk and or didn't want to be here, and both sound like the case, then he is better off being released, going to prep school, whatever
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Elijah Wood

Slim wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Over. Rated. Period.

Wait and see.

Correct. Truly overhyped. Struggling against D3 type talent. Avg maybe 7pts, and living off of early hype because he was 6”6 freshman. Imo not D1 player unless he improves. Played the other night & went scoreless against weak competition and D3 kid gave him 30. Social media can make you or break you. Lol
Not so sure about that one.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, DC has said that before about recruits, months before they were signed.

I really take that with a grain of salt. It's the persistence long after they have signed of this monologue that stands out. slim never let up, until he disappeared.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Well, DC has said that before about recruits, months before they were signed.

I really take that with a grain of salt. It's the persistence long after they have signed of this monologue that stands out. slim never let up, until he disappeared.
Some people think about what I say too much. My thoughts were shared before he committed to Tulane.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

As long as it doesn't carry on, after the player is signed. And you never have.

Case in point: I voted against signing the 7 footer that is available, but if they did sign him, I wouldn't keep saying it, day after day, that I am unhappy with it, like a broken record. After Wood was signed, slim kept coming here and making a case against it. To his credit, he did at least let up after we signed Leggett, which is who he really wanted. That's pretty much when he rode off into the sunset.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Wood will have been behind ISh and Tres so it was smart of him to decommitt
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago As long as it doesn't carry on, after the player is signed. And you never have.

Case in point: I voted against signing the 7 footer that is available, but if they did sign him, I wouldn't keep saying it, day after day, that I am unhappy with it, like a broken record. After Wood was signed, slim kept coming here and making a case against it. To his credit, he did at least let up after we signed Leggett, which is who he really wanted. That's pretty much when he rode off into the sunset.
Who we really wanted? I would hope we had some high 4* recruits who we really wanted as first priority. If not, we have some issues.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I sincerely doubt Wood decommitted because of negativity on this message board.

More a case imo of us getting Berry, and looking for more guards.

Academics I'm sure was a part of it too. Even though Wood would have been a freshman, he was likely to be academically ineligible. Maybe Cox talked to him about it also.

We don't need more players who can't play because of grades.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This has all the makings of the McLeod recruiting thread.

Definitely not gonna let this one go! 😂
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Can we unstick this
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Can we unstick this
Done - thanks for the heads up.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

This board would go crazy if he ended up at PC
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Will we re-recruit him?
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Nope
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Would be the second decommit from Rhody to go to Nebraska. Amir Harris, another Ramblin' Man. Must have left an impression when they came into the Ryan Center with a number next to their name and we beat them.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago Will we re-recruit him?
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago This board would go crazy if he ended up at PC
This board would go crazy if he went to PC and was good. This thread is an all-timer. The craziness of discounting him because of some box score, the we didn't want him anyway, etc. I saw him play and know a few guys in the area who have opinions I trust. There is a less than 50/50 chance that everything comes together for him but he has high major talent and I would take him back right now, even with the PG year. Unless I missed where we were running out a slew of awesome combo guards.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Let’s be honest, Elijah’s stock dropped before he headed to Tulane. We took a shot on him because he’s from the DMV and he has solid upside and loaded with intangibles. His last season was underwhelming. The only reason he is getting offers he is getting know is because people trust Cox’s evaluations as a recruiter and he’s worth a small risk. If it works, great, if it doesn’t, he can be a solid role player somewhere.

I doubt we re-recruit him, wouldn’t be against it, but I like the other options out there in ‘21 over him.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

She didn't just leave you, dad, she left all of us...

He didn't want to be here. Holding a torch for Wood is stupider than holding a torch for Toppin. They left us. Topping was a "Dear John" letter. Wood left us at the alter. Move on. Plenty of fish in the sea.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Just reclassified to 2020 and committed to Nebraska
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: ‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Nebraska)

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Just reclassified to 2020 and committed to Nebraska
Man, I wish I could use the strikeout font for the title threads. Its like he and Mading are having their own secret competition about which URI recruit / non-recruit can cause the most consternation on here.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/husk ... lijah-wood

Calls us a “messy situation”....
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI improved its recruiting class with Berry over Wood. He will struggle to compete in the Big Ten. Doesn’t have the offensive skills.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From the article:

He averaged roughly 15 points and five assists per game last season as a senior at Lilburn (GA) Berkmar High School, helping his team to the quarterfinals of the Georgia state tournament.

Did he really average 15 points and 5 assist? I don’t recall him ever scoring 15 points in a game.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Yeah don’t think he’s got much credibility. The roster was fluid at Rhody when he decommitted but this guy is about as hot and cold as it comes. Good luck to him at Nebraska. Long way from home. 75% chance he’ll transfer again.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I saw him play live 4 games in a row down here. I tried to be positive in my posts on this site but thought then he would not play much here. I didn’t even post about the last 2 games because I didn’t really have anything good to say. He had a few flashes but wasn’t even in the game at the end in a few close games.
My son, who played in college, saw one game and asked if we really offered him. He worked the URI camps in the Jimmy Baron years and played for the ATL Celtics, so he knows D1 players and what they need to do, IMO. He was shocked URI wanted him, and he saw the best game I saw him play.
Wish him well, but he would not have helped us, did not average 15 per game, and I’ll bet anyone he won’t last at Nebraska. Who knows, he could be a late bloomer and bulk up, and like I said I wish him well.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago From the article:

He averaged roughly 15 points and five assists per game last season as a senior at Lilburn (GA) Berkmar High School, helping his team to the quarterfinals of the Georgia state tournament.

Did he really average 15 points and 5 assist? I don’t recall him ever scoring 15 points in a game.
I agree. I don’t think he is that good and will struggle a lot in the Big 10. He has no outside shot. We are much better off with the players we brought in and the two freshman.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ironic that he throws the negative comments at URI. He was enrolled in 6 high schools/preps in 4 years. Hargrove would’ve been #7 in 5 years. Nebraska is the 3rd college he has committed to. So he made a commitment to ten schools in 5 yeas. And URI is a mess 🤦‍♀️
6 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Yeah the messy situation was we recruited over him in the same class. Tres is a better player, I think everyone knows that. We may have had them eventually play in different roles but the messy situation is he didnt want to come here and compete.
Just my 2 cents.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Wait won’t he be still academically ineligible cuz I remember reading a month or two ago he would sit out next year
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on Elijah you are better than that !! We are much better off with Tres instead of Wood
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Ironic that he throws the negative comments at URI. He was enrolled in 6 high schools/preps in 4 years. Hargrove would’ve been #7 in 5 years. Nebraska is the 3rd college he has committed to. So he made a commitment to ten schools in 5 yeas. And URI is a mess 🤦‍♀️
Mmmmmmm. Your stance has changed I see. I said all this few years ago, but it wasn’t received very well here. I’ll say it again and again, but hopefully this young man finds the proper guidance.

Crazy world and times right now, so I wish all these young men the best. Social media has been a blessing/curse to some. College Basketball is no joke it will either make you or break you!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Here is an interesting comparison: Wood is the second player in recent years from the DMV area to decommit from URI and go to Nebraska. Remember Amir Harris, similar skill and size, who played 1 year at Nebraska and transferred back home to GW. Some on this board also questioned his ability and fit here and thought he was recruited over. This situation happened to spark my memory.
1 x