Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea I have no idea the purpose of that post, seems very random.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think the purpose is to say hey don't forget about this guy that was here last year but couldn't play. It says he's expected to make a big impact...don't sleep on us.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Looks like we dodge a bullet. DC do you think this improves our chance with Nelson??
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Not. A. Surprise.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Even if he didn’t decommit, he wasn’t coming next year anyway because he is doing a post grad year (academics). I think this increases our chances with a lot of our targets.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Looks like we dodge a bullet. DC do you think this improves our chance with Nelson??
Absolutely. If not, if helps with the optics for a grad transfer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Roster for 2020-2021 - As of April 27, 2020
Starters
Russell G - 5’7”
Sheppard G - 6’1”
Leggett G - 6’2”
Harris F - 6’8”
Walker F - 6’7”

Bench
Johnson F - 6’7”
Berry G - 6’3”

Transferred In
Makhi Mitchell F - 6’10” Eligible Nov 2021
Makhel Mitchell F - 6’10” Eligible Nov 2021
Martin G - 6’6” Eligible Nov 2021

Transferred Out
Martin G - 6’6”
Toppin F - 6’8”
Long F - 6’7”
Wood G - 6'5"

Lot's of Room at the Inn
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Even if he didn’t decommit, he wasn’t coming next year anyway because he is doing a post grad year (academics). I think this increases our chances with a lot of our targets.
Isn't this why he decommitted?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Looks like we dodge a bullet. DC do you think this improves our chance with Nelson??
I hate comments like this. It disparages the kid for no reason (even if you didn't mean it that way Steveystuds06, it could seem like it from the outside). I was looking forward to seeing what he could bring. But perhaps with Leggett and Tres for hopefully the next 4 years, maybe Wood didn't think he'd get much playing time?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Roster for 2020-2021 - As of April 27, 2020
Starters
Russell G - 5’7”
Sheppard G - 6’1”
Leggett G - 6’2”
Harris F - 6’8”
Walker F - 6’7”

Bench
Johnson F - 6’7”
Berry G - 6’3”

Transferred In
Makhi Mitchell F - 6’10” Eligible Nov 2021
Makhel Mitchell F - 6’10” Eligible Nov 2021
Martin G - 6’6” Eligible Nov 2021

Transferred Out
Martin G - 6’6”
Toppin F - 6’8”
Long F - 6’7”
Wood G - 6'5"

Lot's of Room at the Inn
Be prepared to add Fatts to the list of players not returning. They should be recruiting two point guard transfers at this point with Sheppard a senior
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
I hate comments like this. It disparages the kid for no reason (even if you didn't mean it that way Steveystuds06, it could seem like it from the outside). I was looking forward to seeing what he could bring. But perhaps with Leggett and Tres for hopefully the next 4 years, maybe Wood didn't think he'd get much playing time?
That’s not why he decommitted.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Elijah Wood, changed to Elijah won't be anytime soon.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Elijah Wood, changed to Elijah won't be anytime soon.
*throws tomato*

Haha haha!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Just one freaking time someone will post something positive about this kid and we won't immediately get a response about how much of bust he'll be.

GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!! Yes, he has flaws in his game, but if you can't see the type of upside he has idk what to tell you.

Give him some time to work on his shooting and offensive game. Trust that the staff can help him reach his full potential.

He can still help us in other ways
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago Wow this is a shocker and great news

Ish and Tres backcourt of the future baby
I hope Wood doesn't come on this board because we talk like he's not on the team. Ish Tres and Wood are the backcourt of the future baby!
Steviep, I've been nothing but supportive of Wood.

On paper he looks like a risk that we don't need. I wish him the best, but we can find someone better.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think I'll just go to the roster page on GoRhody in November and see who's on it.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Just one freaking time someone will post something positive about this kid and we won't immediately get a response about how much of bust he'll be.

GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!! Yes, he has flaws in his game, but if you can't see the type of upside he has idk what to tell you.

Give him some time to work on his shooting and offensive game. Trust that the staff can help him reach his full potential.

He can still help us in other ways
reef wrote: 4 years ago Wow this is a shocker and great news

Ish and Tres backcourt of the future baby
I hope Wood doesn't come on this board because we talk like he's not on the team. Ish Tres and Wood are the backcourt of the future baby!
Steviep, I've been nothing but supportive of Wood.

On paper he looks like a risk that we don't need. I wish him the best, but we can find someone better.
I'm glad to hear that. The other comment could have been read is disparaging, and I'm glad you didn't mean it as such.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
That’s not why he decommitted.
Yeah, I posted this before reading he decommitted for academics in the other thread.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure what this means but seems exciting.

When I first read this yesterday, I thought it asked "Who's GONE next?".

now I know.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Based on that, I'm going to say that Harris is a solid return. Which is very, very good news. That's pretty much the nucleus right there, unless Fatts returns.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Based on that, I'm going to say that Harris is a solid return. Which is very, very good news. That's pretty much the nucleus right there, unless Fatts returns.
If that's the nucleus, yikes.

A guard who has played one season of D1 basketball and two big men whose performance has been below average their careers here.

Big yikes.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

You would prefer them not to return?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

These guys need our support!

I'm sure if they read that, what are they to think?
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I thought 15 wasn't going to bash Harris anymore?
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI plays games without fans, will they demand payments to retain priority seating for future seasons? Will basketball games next season be pay-per-view or by subscription next year. I'm sure these options are being discussed. If Carothers was still at URI, he would view the pandemic as an opportunity.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago You would prefer them not to return?
I obviously want them to return, there's no other options.

Also, saying him and Walker's career has been "below average" isn't bashing at all, as I'm sure the majority of poster would agree that it has been. I just stated a fact.

If I had used "underwhelming" instead of below average, would that have been an acceptable summary of their careers to this point?

If you consider "below average" to be bashing, so be it, but that leads me to believe you have a very, very, VERY weak definition of bashing.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

So, if I call you below average at your job, nothing personal? Not bashing?
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

How about - yet to fulfill full potential. Which is accurate without bashing. I expect both guys would tell you that they have a lot of room to grow. Potential is there for both players to be stars. So far thy have played like average A10 players which is not bad at all!
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

hold on a second, hold that thought.

Back to 15...

My kid goes to school one day and you're his teacher, I go on a public message board and go "If that's his teacher, YIKES! A below average sped who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. We're in trouble"

I call you out by name, and all of your friends and coworkers see it. The nice ones rib you about it and bust your balls. The not so nice ones saw it, but think whatever they are going to think and don't mention it, they just look at you funny.

Was that ok? Am I not bashing you? It was just something obvious to me that I observed and should be obvious to everyone else anyway because I am the absolute authority on observation?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m not getting into this back and fourth again.

I hope the kid averages 15 and 8 next year and you guys taunt me 24/7/365. And I’ll take it.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago How about - yet to fulfill full potential. Which is accurate without bashing. I expect both guys would tell you that they have a lot of room to grow. Potential is there for both players to be stars. So far thy have played like average A10 players which is not bad at all!
Yet to fulfill full potential, yes that’s spot on.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

ok
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jermaine is staying.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Jermaine is staying.
15 and 8 confirmed!
0 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago hold on a second, hold that thought.

Back to 15...

My kid goes to school one day and you're his teacher, I go on a public message board and go "If that's his teacher, YIKES! A below average sped who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. We're in trouble"

I call you out by name, and all of your friends and coworkers see it. The nice ones rib you about it and bust your balls. The not so nice ones saw it, but think whatever they are going to think and don't mention it, they just look at you funny.

Was that ok? Am I not bashing you? It was just something obvious to me that I observed and should be obvious to everyone else anyway because I am the absolute authority on observation?
I think you hit on it -- Since no negative commentary is allowed, why even have fans talk on message boards? I think it would save ATP some money, and everyone can wave their Keaney colored pompoms when they are allowed to return to the Ryan Center. No one will ever have to worry about a player seeing a not so nice comment, and maybe ATP and Obadiah and whoever else donates to this board can all chip in their proceeds to buy participation trophies and ribbons. URI can then hold a donor event, similar to the Dundies, and you can continue to wave your Keaney colored pompoms as you cheer for the guy who averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds in 20 minutes per game get his trophy for "outstanding performance."

There are times when people go over-the-top, but this is a sports message board, for highly publicized division one athletes, playing basketball at one of the highest levels of basketball in the world. They are going to hear when they play well, and hear when they play poor. If they don't want to hear that commentary, perhaps they should commit to play for Kennesaw St., or go to CCRI and play in front of 5 fans per game. Your example, while accurate when talking about us normal people working normal jobs, fails to recognize that high-level athletes are held to a different standard. Whether you want to argue that standard is fair or not, different story, but it's why there are sports related websites, TV channels, radio shows, and fan message boards. Without balanced commentary, many of those would cease to exist.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

Back to 15...

I think you hit on it -- Since no negative commentary is allowed, why even have fans talk on message boards? I think it would save ATP some money, and everyone can wave their Keaney colored pompoms when they are allowed to return to the Ryan Center. No one will ever have to worry about a player seeing a not so nice comment, and maybe ATP and Obadiah and whoever else donates to this board can all chip in their proceeds to buy participation trophies and ribbons. URI can then hold a donor event, similar to the Dundies, and you can continue to wave your Keaney colored pompoms as you cheer for the guy who averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds in 20 minutes per game get his trophy for "outstanding performance."

There are times when people go over-the-top, but this is a sports message board, for highly publicized division one athletes, playing basketball at one of the highest levels of basketball in the world. They are going to hear when they play well, and hear when they play poor. If they don't want to hear that commentary, perhaps they should commit to play for Kennesaw St., or go to CCRI and play in front of 5 fans per game. Your example, while accurate when talking about us normal people working normal jobs, fails to recognize that high-level athletes are held to a different standard. Whether you want to argue that standard is fair or not, different story, but it's why there are sports related websites, TV channels, radio shows, and fan message boards. Without balanced commentary, many of those would cease to exist.
Gotta agree with you on this RJ. Your always level headed here.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

Back to 15...

You are spot on. Good take!
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

"Haters wanna hate,
Lovers wanna love,
I don't even want,
None of the above,
I want to..."

I'll leave the last part out since that might put me in timeout for a little while, but I'm sure some of the younger members here will know the rest.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We need another guard and forward who are eligible to play next year!!.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Allen Betrand added. List updated.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Allen Betrand added. List updated.

Much of that roster at this time won't be able to play until 2021-22.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Yes. When the NCAA makes a ruling, I'll probably change the header above all the transfers to 2021-22. But, I didn't want to jump the gun, there may be a small chance the NCAA does the alternative.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Take that ugly looking asterisk away from Fatt’s name!!! Let’s goooo Rhody!
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

So with the guys we have now, assuming no transfers are eligible. What’s our depth chart?

G - Fatts
G - Sheppard
G - Ish - Tres
F - Walker - Johnson
F - Harris

I almost think we go after 2 immediately eligible bigs (frosh or grad). I’d have no issues with Fatts, Sheppard, Ish and Tres playing 30+ min a game but we need more bodies in the front court. The Ousman decommit stings.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Maybe Cox has some players up his sleeve that he kept under wraps or we may need to borrow some football players.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I agree with needing 2 bigs. I don’t think DJ can play the 4 vs most teams. At least not for extended periods.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

asterisk removed from Fatts
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago So with the guys we have now, assuming no transfers are eligible. What’s our depth chart?

G - Fatts
G - Sheppard
G - Ish - Tres
F - Walker - Johnson
F - Harris
I'm guessing that is pretty much it. 1, 2, and 5 are solid. And the 3 is well staffed. But a lot of flotation around those 3 and 4 positions.

This is Walker's chance. If the transfers were eligible, he would be fighting to get playing time, but now, sky's the limit. Hope he makes the most of it. Hope he is ready to defend against the other teams post players.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We Need at least 1 eligible big who can back up Jermaine. MINIMUM.
The Twins have no shot at a waiver . NONE. There are about 4 or 5
Decent HS centers still uncommitted but getting one of them to commit
with the twins looming in the background for 21-22 is probably
next to impossible. That's what happened with Ousamane .
TT might be an option , and there are a few other grad transfers left
but no impact guys. I see a lot of match up zone next year.
0 x