How would you rate Coach Cox for the 2019-2020 Season?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

How would you rate Coach Cox for the 2019-2020 Season?

Poll ended at 4 years ago

A+
No votes
A
2%
A-
10%
B+
20%
B
20%
B-
20%
C+
9%
C
12%
C-
1%
D
No votes
E
1%
Incomplete
6%

Total votes: 82

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: How would you rate Coach Cox for the 2019-2020 Season?

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think there is some revisionist history in this thread.

I think the average prediction here had URI 20-10. They finished 21-9.

Yes they faltered down the stretch, but perhaps they hit an unsustainable peak.

Should Cox be punished for the fact Fatts couldn’t throw a beach ball into the ocean down the stretch?
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago I think there is some revisionist history in this thread.

Should Cox be punished for the fact Fatts couldn’t throw a beach ball into the ocean down the stretch?
Yeah at the end of the day it goes back to that for me.

Fatts makes like one or two more shots against Davidson and we win that game. 22-8 14-4, we are last team in or in the first four out and there would be a different tune around here. I mean, who knows if we lose to Saint Louis after that even.
2 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Yeah at the end of the day it goes back to that for me.

Fatts makes like one or two more shots against Davidson and we win that game. 22-8 14-4, we are last team in or in the first four out and there would be a different tune around here. I mean, who knows if we lose to Saint Louis after that even.
Yep...they were close...definitely were on the bubble
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago I think there is some revisionist history in this thread.

Because he had to play him much more than he should have been playing due to zero depth at guard, yes.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

Because he had to play him much more than he should have been playing due to zero depth at guard, yes.
To me that’s a different argument. If before the season you thought URI wins 18-19 games, then 21 is a very good season. If you thought 22-23 wins, then it would be disappointing. Can’t move the goal posts.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

I get that some people are very unhappy about the collapse, and that is a very valid feeling, but you can't deny that they were playing well at one point and were in contention for an at-large. It's not like they were awful the whole season.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I gave a C
25 of 75 responses were B+ or higher. I don't think David Cox himself would give that high a grade

Prior to the 1st Dayton Game I would be a B+ or higher. We limped to the finish line losing 4 of last 7 games including 2 wins by 1 point against weak opponents Fordham and UMASS. So a D- over the last 7 games gives an overall C.

Went from a Lock in the NCAA Tournament Ranked #27 AP Poll and went to not on the bubble.

Last 7 Games of the Season were lackluster
1st Dayton game LOSS - was a disaster
St Josephs WIN (played without their best player, 3rd team all conference Ryan Daly)
@ Davidson LOSS
@ Fordham WIN - but took miracle heroics by Freshman Jacob Toppin to pull out the 1 point win
Saint Louis LOSS - outplayed
Dayton LOSS of blowout proportions
@ UMASS WIN - only 2 players from UMASS in double figures in scoring - both freshmen. Lucky to come away with the Wim. I was there. Team looked listless, not confident, low energy, unorganized

Observed during those 7 games was a lower overall quality of play, a low level of confidence displayed by the players and coaches, selfish play at times going for individual point totals and forcing shots, passing game was not good. Did not feel that this team was ready to make any noise in the A10 Tournament.

Disappointing Season for URI Big Men. Langevine was preseason 1st team but garnered no awards, not even all defensive. Love Langevine's game, his energy, his leadership. URI Coaching plan did not utilize Langevine to the extend they could have. Jermaine Harris played limited minutes of about 1/3rd a game. Showed some progress but not enough.
Post Season Recognition
Preseason Selections
1st team - Cyril Langevine
2nd team - Jeff Dowtin
3rd team - Fatts Russell, Rhode Island
Defensive Team - Cyril Langevine, Rhode Island

Postseason Selections
1st team - Fatts Russell
3rd team - Jeff Dowtin
Defensive Team - Fatts Russell
All Rookie Team - none

Russell's shooting fell drastically the last 7 games. He took the most shots with 100 but hit only 30. Russell shot only 29% on 3Ps and Martin shot worse at only 27%. Cox should have fed the hot hand Dowtin more as Jeff hit 11-27 for 41% during the 7 games. Langevine had a strong 10.8 rpg average during the 7 games. Jermaine Harris (80%) and Jacob Toppin (79%) led URI in FT% during the collapse.Should have gone to them more inside to draw fouls.

On to next season.

67C1F7DB-64BF-4D77-B4D6-F292AF09C73E.jpeg
Tip of the cap to you Ramster, I love that you are keeping it real these days as an objective observer instead of seeing everything through Keaney Blue glasses. Brings a tear to my eye. We have definitely had our fair share of disagreements but love this perspective.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

48 of 78 in the B range which seems about right from the preseason predictions
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago I get that some people are very unhappy about the collapse, and that is a very valid feeling, but you can't deny that they were playing well at one point and were in contention for an at-large. It's not like they were awful the whole season.
That’s what this means....

Prior to the 1st Dayton Game I would be a B+ or higher. We limped to the finish line losing 4 of last 7 games including 2 wins by 1 point against weak opponents Fordham and UMASS. So a D- over the last 7 games gives an overall C.

Went from a Lock in the NCAA Tournament Ranked #27 AP Poll and went to not on the bubble.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Making the NCAAT is equivalent to the final. If you don't pass the final (make the tourney)...you don't pass. Just my humble 'pinion....

My prediction has nothing to do with the grade. I totally Price is Right-ed it to try to win the contest.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Final Summary for David Cox 2019-2020 Season

10 A’s
48 B’s
18 C’s
1 E
5 Incomplete

82 Total Votes
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

A- here. We won the A10 tournament and made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA’s giving Oregon a real scare... or was that a video game???
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What a difference year makes
2 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago What a difference year makes
LOL
0 x