4.23 Chat

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

4.23 Chat

Unread post by PeteRI »

Is anyone else trying to access this chat? I don't see anything happening either on Facebook or YouTube at 6:34 p.m. on Thursday
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Re: 4.23 Chat

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Me too. Nothing
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Feels like I’m on my phone at the Ryan Center
1 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Watching it on Yurview website. Unsure how to ask questions. 21 viewers currently.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Nada here.
0 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

if you go to the yurview new England twitter account you can watch it live. Also, peep Cox's recruiting tools in the background.
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

I’m in. Thanks
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

link? I know I saw this in another thread but not sure where
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I was able to see it on Periscope. Some great comments from Coach Cox and Thor. It would be nice to see an archived version - and for this to become a regular event.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was able to access it from Twitter by clicking on the Yurview link provided by Chris Disano.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Outstanding show!!!!

Cox and Thorr talked a lot about the practice facility. Thorr said they know they need it. He said they cannot stop or slow down the basketball program and facilities. They must build a practice facility.

Talked briefly about Harris and Walker but considerable talk about Cyril and what big shoes they have to fill. He said the two guys learned a lot playing against Cyril in practices. They know what they have to do.

High praise for Jeremy Sheppard. Said he is a pass first guard and an excellent player.

Cox said Devale Johnson can shoot the lights out. He is an incredible shooter. He has gained experience and put weight on. Cox said Johnson has only been playing organized basketball for 3-4 years so he has a lot of potential. Cox said he was flexible to use Devale in a number of positions.

Talked well of the 3 freshmen guards coming in but nothing on any of the 3 specifically.

Cox said they are looking for a wing to fill the open spot created by the two transfers.

Nice production with Thorr, Disano and Cox live video broadcast from their respective homes.

Finished with Thorr and Cox talking about the 3 football players and the upcoming NFL draft beginning tonight. Thorr and Cox both know a lot about all 3 players. Very proud of them. Cox knows Parker and Coulter since they are DC boys. They know Murphy well too.
Could be first URI Football players drafted since Bob White in 1986!!!!
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

You can watch it using the link below.

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Did Fatts' name come up?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Did Fatts' name come up?

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Was a great interview. Loved that Thorr has Cox’s back.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like everyone is on board going forward.

Going to hope for the best!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The 1,500 transfers was an interesting number that was thrown out. Much higher than posters have been predicting on KB to date.
Lends itself towards being smarter about holding roster spots open for opportunities that could arise if new transfer rule is approved.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago The 1,500 transfers was an interesting number that was thrown out. Much higher than posters have been predicting on KB to date.
Lends itself towards being smarter about holding roster spots open for opportunities that could arise if new transfer rule is approved.
I don’t think That was a serious estimate.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago The 1,500 transfers was an interesting number that was thrown out. Much higher than posters have been predicting on KB to date.
Oh it’s very serious. There are quite a few kids simply waiting for the NCAA to say approved. There will be a second wave.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

What would be interesting is if they pass the rule but state that it is for players who have already put their name in the portal. That would stop a 2nd wave exodus this year. Then back to the craziness next year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This was encouraging.
1 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Good job. Excited about this next team. Will have some serious components.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Oh it’s very serious. There are quite a few kids simply waiting for the NCAA to say approved. There will be a second wave.
Agreed - I think the biggest pool will be the current junior class where for many of those players, it doesn't make sense to sit one, play one, but with the rule change they essentially become a new, and bigger version of a grad transfer. Then I believe there is definitely a smaller pool of underclassmen players (just my guess) who were interested in transferring but didn't want to sit out the year so they stayed who could leave. I think that pool of players is much smaller than the other pool though, as I think many of the guys who wanted to "get out" just took their chance on the rule change and left already. It wouldn't surprise me if the rule change led to another 400-500 guys shaking free. Verbal Commits lists on their site 814 transfers to date, interesting because that number is down from 2019 where the same site listed 996 transfers. It feels like that number should be much larger. In fact, 814 as of today represents the smallest transfer number since 2016 (794). Add 400-500 to that and 814 becomes 1,214-1,314.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

Agreed - I think the biggest pool will be the current junior class where for many of those players, it doesn't make sense to sit one, play one, but with the rule change they essentially become a new, and bigger version of a grad transfer. Then I believe there is definitely a smaller pool of underclassmen players (just my guess) who were interested in transferring but didn't want to sit out the year so they stayed who could leave. I think that pool of players is much smaller than the other pool though, as I think many of the guys who wanted to "get out" just took their chance on the rule change and left already. It wouldn't surprise me if the rule change led to another 400-500 guys shaking free. Verbal Commits lists on their site 814 transfers to date, interesting because that number is down from 2019 where the same site listed 996 transfers. It feels like that number should be much larger. In fact, 814 as of today represents the smallest transfer number since 2016 (794). Add 400-500 to that and 814 becomes 1,214-1,314.
I’ll go with what Cox said last night - 1500

Keeping roster spots open to provide the flexibility is key

I’ll trust Cox and Thorr know what they are doing here

Get the biggest value possible. Don’t want to settle too soon and have no more cards to play

URI could still lose a player or two or three.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

That's fine, it's just a big jump from where we are. If the current number is 814, that means Dave Cox would think that rule change would lead to 686 more transfers, which is approximately another two transfers from every team in the country.

I think we all expect to see a second wave, I just think 1,500 is like a typhoon compared to current figures, but what do I know ...
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That's fine, it's just a big jump from where we are. If the current number is 814, that means Dave Cox would think that rule change would lead to 686 more transfers, which is approximately another two transfers from every team in the country.

I think we all expect to see a second wave, I just think 1,500 is like a typhoon compared to current figures, but what do I know ...
It’s semantics/hyperbole at this point. Bottom line there will be more. It was an off the cuff statement with no real knowledge.

We tend to go down some pointless rabbit holes at times. lol
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I do not trust those numbers in terms of transfers at all. Directly from the NCAA website it is a lot lower then the numbers you listed.
NCAA.PNG
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... tball-have
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago

I do not trust those numbers in terms of transfers at all. Directly from the NCAA website it is a lot lower then the numbers you listed. NCAA.PNG

The NCAA doesn’t update its number as fast as twitter.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I do not trust those numbers in terms of transfers at all. Directly from the NCAA website it is a lot lower then the numbers you listed. NCAA.PNG

The math in that post makes no sense.

The post says players in the portal were 1,066.
Of those, Withdrawn: -76
-----------------------------------------------------
-54 (not on 2019-2020 roster)
-------------------------------
Pro: 9
----------------------
Retired: At least 5
---------------------
917 (I'll give them 10)
NCAA says they had 694 end of season transfers

I'm no math guy, but the difference between 917 and 694 is 223 players. Where are they accounting for that? Retired?

I have no allegiance to verbal commits then to say that they have 9 years of transfer data, easily accessible on their site.

And the NCAA data could very well be right, they are just missing a significant piece of math there that makes no sense.

And this one I don't think I am wrong about...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The math in that post makes no sense.

The post says players in the portal were 1,066.
Of those, Withdrawn: -76
-----------------------------------------------------
-54 (not on 2019-2020 roster)
-------------------------------
Pro: 9
----------------------
Retired: At least 5
---------------------
917 (I'll give them 10)
NCAA says they had 694 end of season transfers

I'm no math guy, but the difference between 917 and 694 is 223 players. Where are they accounting for that? Retired?

I have no allegiance to verbal commits then to say that they have 9 years of transfer data, easily accessible on their site.

And the NCAA data could very well be right, they are just missing a significant piece of math there that makes no sense.

And this one I don't think I am wrong about...
Now, THIS. We agree on. Lol
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree once this rule passes the second wave will come and hopefully we can get another player or two that we want especially if we lose another player
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s semantics/hyperbole at this point. Bottom line there will be more. It was an off the cuff statement with no real knowledge.

We tend to go down some pointless rabbit holes at times. lol
No rabbit hole

Just trust the coach.

And it will be a lot!

Keep those valuable open roster spots open. Lots of opportunities just a short time away.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Was a great interview. Loved that Thorr has Cox’s back.
AD's always have a coach's back until he gives them their walking papers.
4 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thorr has done nothing in 2 years to help MBB.
He said at Cox intro presser in April 2018 the plans hadn’t changed for the practice facility because Dan left. The commitment to Dan was the facility would be ready for Sept 2020 but he wanted to check on what Cox saw as the priority.

Last night on the subject he said he asked Cox after he was hired for his priorities and Cox said priority #1 was the practice facility.

Here we stand two years later and the only commitment he has is the $1 million from Tom Ryan this past year.
Complete failure.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Thorr has done nothing in 2 years to help MBB.
He said at Cox intro presser in April 2018 the plans hadn’t changed for the practice facility because Dan left. The commitment to Dan was the facility would be ready for Sept 2020 but he wanted to check on what Cox saw as the priority.

Last night on the subject he said he asked Cox after he was hired for his priorities and Cox said priority #1 was the practice facility.

Here we stand two years later and the only commitment he has is the $1 million from Tom Ryan this past year.
Complete failure.
From what I know, Thorr expected certain boosters to keep their promises for the practice facility after Cox told him it was his top priority 2 years ago.

But they decided to wait and held off.

So here we are. Can't really put all the blame on Thorr. Can't force someone to write a check.

I doubt what is needed will be raised for quite some time now.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Thorr has done nothing in 2 years to help MBB.

Complete failure.
How much do you want to bet he is saying the same thing two years from now?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You can definitely put the blame on Thorr. A major part of an AD’s job is fundraising for projects/upgrades. He failed when Rhody MBB was at its peak.
And no program upgrades have been made in the last two years even though the NCAA Tournament appearances are bringing in $5.6 million. Hurley’s buyout provided $1.25 million and Cox makes $300,000 per year less than Dan made.

No practice facility
No increase in Ast salary pool to attract top talent
Minimal increase in # of charter flights
5 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago You can definitely put the blame on Thorr. A major part of an AD’s job is fundraising for projects/upgrades. He failed when Rhody MBB was at its peak.
And no program upgrades have been made in the last two years even though the NCAA Tournament appearances are bringing in $5.6 million. Hurley’s buyout provided $1.25 million and Cox makes $300,000 per year less than Dan made.

No practice facility
Yes, Thorr is to blame for the lack of increases for the assistants and lack of more charters. That he can control.

So he's talking out of both sides of his mouth on those.

I think he's tried to get more money for the practice facility.

Unfortunately I think boosters tied the money to a wait and see approach to Cox, which imo was shortsighted.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago You can definitely put the blame on Thorr. A major part of an AD’s job is fundraising for projects/upgrades. He failed when Rhody MBB was at its peak.

No practice facility
Yes, Thorr is to blame for the lack of increases for the assistants and lack of more charters. That he can control.

Unfortunately I think boosters tied the money to a wait and see approach to Cox, which imo was shortsighted.
To be fair, we did borrow from the foundation for Dan's contract extension. So any of that money is going back to the foundation.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Again , I don’t know what the protocol is but it seems like the fundraising for a practice facility is top secret. Is it illegal to make it public?
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago

No practice facility

To be fair, we did borrow from the foundation for Dan's contract extension. So any of that money is going back to the foundation.
True. You can't count the money that was to be borrowed from the URI Foundation.

Rambone,
The Boosters did not provide money for whatever reason, they just didn't. I can't blame them for wanting to take a wait and see approach.
We know Torino and Ryan had discussions regarding Pitino 2 years ago. Word is Dooley said no. Not sure what Thorr thought but it doesn't matter of the big boss says no I suppose.

I wanted Pitino but what I want doesn't matter in even the littlest scheme of things, but it does matter in the URI Booster Scheme of things.

We have seen record Alumni Giving to Schools of Engineering, Business, Communications, Pharmacy, etc the past couple of years. Even $2 million to Football. URI Basketball can't even get enough money to fox the WIFI or get Replays. Why is that? Something is wrong.

URI has missed the NCAA the past 2 years, likely to be 3 consecutive next year. URI has retained only 1 of 8 Recruits from the last 2 years. Lost 4 of last 7 games beating lowly Fordham and UMASS by only 1 point for 2 of those 4 wins. Went from a lock for the NCAA Tournament to out with those 4 losses.

Most schools build $20 to $60 million Practice Facility Complexes. VCU, UCONN, PC, on and on. We are talking only $5.5 Million to redo Tootell and can't get Boosters to pitch in.

If Pitino were here would we have a Practice Facility?

I don't even like the idea of converting Tootell. I like playing basketball in that gym better than Mackal Field House. In Mackal the ball goes out of bound you have to chase it down. Tootell is a nice 2 court gym, always warm, never have to compete with the Track Team for available times.
If the players want to shoot any time of day they can use Tootell, Keaney, Mackal. Don't get that the Players can't always find a court to practice in. Jeff Dowtin and Jimmy Baron always seemed to manage.

Excuses I keep hearing since the dismal end of this season:
Kids today
No Practice Facility
The Virus took the kids home and we could not keep in contact with them and other schools did contact them
The upcoming NCAA Transfer with no penalty rule change
Not enough money to hire good Assistant Coaches

Everything to blame but Cox himself. Sorry, I'm having Jim Baron Excuse Flashbacks

If the College Game is going to turn into 8 New Faces per Year and become Transfer U I'd just as soon keep Tootell for Students and Alumni - don't give if up to players who will only be here a year or 2 and very few graduate.

Build the Program Back then Build a $40 million Practice Facility the right way - do it right or not at all
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago If the College Game is going to turn into 8 New Faces per Year and become Transfer U I'd just as soon keep Tootell for Students and Alumni - don't give if up to players who will only be here a year or 2 and very few graduate.

Build the Program Back then Build a $40 million Practice Facility the right way - do it right or not at all
Ramster, I don't know the answer to this, but isn't that a "chicken and the egg" type argument?

On one hand, you say I'd rather do nothing with Tootell with regards to spending on a practice facility to be transfer U ... Is it possible you become transfer U because of lack of program resources (practice facility included)?

And if the approach is to not spend above and beyond because it's so hard today to get 4-year players who appreciate it, but you also say build the program back, aren't those two conflicting ideologies as it will be harder to attract players who can build the program back without the bells and whistles other schools have?

If you aren't spending appropriately, isn't it only going to continue to create separation between URI and the programs who have spent or continue to spend on their programs?

Lastly, URI was coming off of two NCAA Tournaments (and two seasons with NCAA Tournament wins) and were fighting to ante up for the Tootell renovation. How on Earth do they come up with $40 million for a standalone facility? I agree a standalone facility would be ideal and more in line with other schools, but monetarily feels like it'd take 30-40 years to accomplish.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago If the College Game is going to turn into 8 New Faces per Year and become Transfer U I'd just as soon keep Tootell for Students and Alumni - don't give if up to players who will only be here a year or 2 and very few graduate.

Ramster, I don't know the answer to this, but isn't that a "chicken and the egg" type argument?

On one hand, you say I'd rather do nothing with Tootell with regards to spending on a practice facility to be transfer U ... Is it possible you become transfer U because of lack of program resources (practice facility included)?

And if the approach is to not spend above and beyond because it's so hard today to get 4-year players who appreciate it, but you also say build the program back, aren't those two conflicting ideologies as it will be harder to attract players who can build the program back without the bells and whistles other schools have?

If you aren't spending appropriately, isn't it only going to continue to create separation between URI and the programs who have spent or continue to spend on their programs?

Lastly, URI was coming off of two NCAA Tournaments (and two seasons with NCAA Tournament wins) and were fighting to ante up for the Tootell renovation. How on Earth do they come up with $40 million for a standalone facility? I agree a standalone facility would be ideal and more in line with other schools, but monetarily feels like it'd take 30-40 years to accomplish.
All great questions to the Boosters. Those who talked to Pitino but were told no go on the possible hire. You would have to ask the Boosters why no money is coming forward to the Basketball Program.

I think if we want to think big we should really think big and build like VCU, UCONN and PC did. No Bandaid approach.

I'd like a Practice Facility. I don't like blaming the lack of a Practice Facility on the current State of our Program
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Pitino’s name should be banned from discussion. He was never coming here due to his affinity for PC.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

URI96 wrote: 4 years ago Pitino’s name should be banned from discussion. He was never coming here due to his affinity for PC.
Aren't you talking about the same guy who won a National Championship at Kentucky and then became the head coach of their hated rival, Louisville?

Pitino has and always will do or say what is best for Pitino.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

There's no way Dooley was going to take Pitino two years ago. 2001 was a different story. He could and should have been hired instead of Baron then. Honestly a no brainer, so was he really a serious contender then?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI96 wrote: 4 years ago Pitino’s name should be banned from discussion. He was never coming here due to his affinity for PC.
Aren't you talking about the same guy who won a National Championship at Kentucky and then became the head coach of their hated rival, Louisville?

Pitino has and always will do or say what is best for Pitino.
I would think Pitino would have wanted to come here after DH left but the powers in charge wouldn’t allow it
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bottom line Boosters have not put money up for Practice Facility. When Hurley departed progress on the Practice Facility stopped and Donations have not come forward.
0 x