The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by giovanni »

From the Bronx and prepped at Putnam Science in Connecticut

0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Not sure if this link has already been shared or not...
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 21-2021-22

Some items of note:
- interesting to see some of these names we have recruited in the past leaving where they first committed
- still some good 3pt shooting grad transfers available
- you can see some schools like Nebraska are heavily involved in the transfer market
- the kid from SLU, went to DePaul, and then to a JUCO and has now even decommited from there
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As long as Sheppard plays I think we are OK for next season, as far as shooters.

But we could use a 2 or 3 year transfer, yes.

Any more guards and we will have a logjam at the position. Maybe if Fatts leaves?

Another wing who can shoot, and a big is preferable imo, as has been mentioned before.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Malik is the big guard in the 3 guard offense; need someone else for this role. Maybe Berry, but isn't he only 6'3"
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Wood is 6’5”
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I will say it again - our last two tourney teams were playing 3 or four guys at the same time under 6’5”

Lots of talented guards is not a problem. Honestly, I would almost rather we recruit more guards than “wings” because that is where we have had more success of the past 20+ years.

This upcoming season we have talented bigs and talented guards. Week at the “3” spot but we can slide some of the bigs there and play big, or move the guards over and play small.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is crazy

0 x
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Huge loss for the Rams--not us!

Where can the VCU board be found? It must be insane.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This is what I believe Fatts will do also.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Huge loss for the Rams--not us!

https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/thr ... lva.16819/
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago This is what I believe Fatts will do also.
No doubt about it. I have been thinking we have 3 open spots all along which is why Cox is after everyone. Fatts isn’t going to come back to this team with everyone gone.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Huge loss. Their board is similar to how we would react. They think he turned his back on a program that developed his skills and pointed out that he has no outside shot and can’t shoot free throws. They said he is making a big mistake and follows Kentucky. Someone mentioned him joining Toppin at Kentucky
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I just got finished reading about 15-16 pages of that VCU thread you just put up, and I think you may have missed a key element to that conversation.

They kept saying over and over again, that the three guys they lost were Will Wade (the previous coach) holdovers. They aren't Rhodes kids.

So, now they are going to have exclusively Rhodes players, with the new rule coming in.

So, does now, everytime a school like a URI or a VCU loses their head coach, with the new rule in place, does the entire team bolt that legally can? Perhaps Cox is ahead of the curve getting transfers, not only for himself, but doing the URI team a favor too, in the process.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

And, also, maybe some of you "baby boomers" on here might want to give a little pause to your "two year" plan for coaches. Where you think you can trade the head coach in with the same ease you trade in your leased Ford Explorer or Toyota Highlander every two years for a new one. I'm not saying make the guy CFL, but you may want to count on a solid 5 years, just to keep the program from turning over and over with players, more than it already is going to be.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I will say if the transfer rules go into effect, I expect we will be taking in at least 3 transfers every year from now on with 2 or 3 years of eligibility. Guys who can’t bolt easily because they will have to sit out at the next spot.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

There is only one problem with that strategy.

If you don't have a HC with serious connections, you might not be able to find 3 transfers a year that could actually have an impact.

The transfer market is highly spontaneous. People were talking about tampering in the Toppin thread. Someone declares for the transfer portal, and in the same announcement, it lists 5-6 teams that are in the running for said player, and Rhody is one of them.

Can you imagine where we would be right now, if we had a coaching staff that was completely reactive? We would need to try and chat up the player every single time, when he has already narrowed his list down to a handful of school and looking to make a decision.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I think we have the perfect coach for that strategy - if Antwan continues to grow, Shepherd plays like we think he will and the twins are as good as advertised (these are actually not huge assumptions) Cox will have 4 transfers to point to that had success at Rhody. Any player from the DMV who went P5 and was overrecruited by a 5 star player or blew up at a lower level school is an option.

Coming in second place on recruits will not be the end of the recruitment - I don’t mind if that is the model we fall into because I know there are a lot of super talented players on P5 teams that barely play but would be the best player on most A10 teams.
4 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Wow. MSS is a HUGE loss for VCU. This is absolutely insane.. The NCAA has a problem their hands, will be an interesting May.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Some VCU posters were openly gleeful about the number of transfers at URI. My guess (after the MSS news) is that these people now have a different take on the out of control transfer frenzy since it now affects them.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Some VCU posters were opening gleeful about the number of transfers at URI. My guess (after the MSS news) is that these people now have a different take on the out of control transfer frenzy since it now affects them.
I don't expect him to leave, but Bones Hyland will be receiving hundreds of back channel contact requests every single year until he graduates at VCU.

The new norm. It takes someone special to have the ability to transfer to any program in the country yet continue playing for a non NCAA contender at the A10 level. The reality is VCU is not an NCAA contender this coming year...how long do great players last on non NCAA teams?
4 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Some VCU posters were opening gleeful about the number of transfers at URI. My guess (after the MSS news) is that these people now have a different take on the out of control transfer frenzy since it now affects them.
Could not have happened to a nicer fan base!
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The A-10 seems to be seeing more transfers than any other league. The new rule change is going to seriously hurt the conference for years to come.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I agree about Hyland, big fan of that kids game. I hope he sticks with VCU (A10), he's gonna to be an NBA Playah.

and yes RF1 I think the A10 is a prime conference for poaching.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

VCU"s 2017 recruiting class was ranked 2nd in the A-10, 4 have transferred (Santos-Silva, Mobley, Maye, Djonkam), one graduated (Mike'l Simms was a JUCO transfer).
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

The NCAA does not have a problem. Coaches with vision, history of developing skill sets, and success getting guys into the league will flourish. Coaches that don't will complain about the new system. The players finally having some agency in their future is a good thing. All of D-1 will still finish with a .500 record. Someone has to get the wins. It might be more volatile but that is a good thing long term.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
The NCAA does not have a problem. Coaches with vision, history of developing skill sets, and success getting guys into the league will flourish. Coaches that don't will complain about the new system. The players finally having some agency in their future is a good thing. All of D-1 will still finish with a .500 record. Someone has to get the wins. It might be more volatile but that is a good thing long term.
Exactly how I feel. And, with every major rule change, there are opportunities. Hopefully Cox will embrace the change and adapt.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I think Cox is embracing the change and adapting (present tense).

I think this is going to put a big damper on the days where you strictly go out and get an X's and O's coach for head coach, who is one dimensional, with the possible exception that they are a very well established, big name coach than can draw players by their name only.

I wonder what Rod would have thought of these times. I think this stuff kind of chops his head coach hiring philosophy at the knees, to be honest.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

You know, the "next" Bob McKillop from the MAAC Conference looking to move up, with a functional new motion offense... that and a buck 99 might get you a small coffee at Dunkin going forward.
0 x
3mm's
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by 3mm's »

Cox is doing a great job with the DMV area and the Bobymaze connection. It is important that we get an assistant with connections to the New York and New England area while TJ builds connections. Especially now with all the transfers.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

3mm's wrote: 4 years ago Cox is doing a great job with the DMV area and the Bobymaze connection. It is important that we get an assistant with connections to the New York and New England area while TJ builds connections. Especially now with all the transfers.
Austin Carroll is from and played in Mass. There are connections. It would be nice if it started paying off. We were doing pretty well getting guys like Terrell, Garrett and Tate.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Huge loss. Their board is similar to how we would react. They think he turned his back on a program that developed his skills and pointed out that he has no outside shot and can’t shoot free throws. They said he is making a big mistake and follows Kentucky. Someone mentioned him joining Toppin at Kentucky
The latest now is that he's joining Matt Mobley at UCF.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
3mm's wrote: 4 years ago Cox is doing a great job with the DMV area and the Bobymaze connection. It is important that we get an assistant with connections to the New York and New England area while TJ builds connections. Especially now with all the transfers.
Austin Carroll is from and played in Mass. There are connections. It would be nice if it started paying off. We were doing pretty well getting guys like Terrell, Garrett and Tate.

I agree with the intent, however, it has been a long time since he had roots in the area.

He has been in Arizona for five years and finished his playing career at American in Wash. DC,and his first collegiate years at Rutgers.

This is just another reason why we need to upgrade this position.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

I agree with the intent, however, it has been a long time since he had roots in the area.

He has been in Arizona for five years and finished his playing career at American in Wash. DC,and his first collegiate years at Rutgers.

This is just another reason why we need to upgrade this position.
I don't disagree.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
The latest now is that he's joining Matt Mobley at UCF.
If one our starters left for UCF I would be PISSED! Kentucky, I get. UConn, I am less thrilled with but I can rationalize. UCF? You saying VCU is not as good a program as UCF?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

UCF? Maybe he likes the weather?
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The A-10 seems to be seeing more transfers than any other league. The new rule change is going to seriously hurt the conference for years to come.
Maybe for one year once the rule passes, but after that...s/b level playing field. Instead of recruiting frosh...you are (or should be) recruiting guys with a 'free transfer' ticket left that have shown ncaa potential. Going to lead to better quality hoops here if it's done right.

PS - 5 years on the head coach is too long, imo.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago UCF? Maybe he likes the weather?
University of Central Falls?
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

University of Sparkle City?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Providence is an interesting choice, and so is BC. If he wants to stay close to home, he can't go to UMass or URI, so Providence would be it.

We'll see what is important to him, he might not care less about staying close to Mass.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Ha, the quote from MSS as told to Wayne Epps VCU beat writer: "He told me last night that he and his family felt that it was best for him to play at the highest level to play in the NBA, and pursue his dream." Tulsa and Western Kentucky are like "Yeah, we're better than VCU!" Slow your roll there fellas...
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If your list is that long, you either already know where you're going and blowing wind up skirts...or, you have no ideer and are trying to drum up interest. JMO
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Players go from mid majors to the pros all the time, its not like any old P5 is a better route to the NBA than every mid major. This next scenario is a bit extreme, but put Obi Toppin on Bryant this past year and he's still going NBA, he might have averaged 32 pts, 14 rbs and 4 ast per game for them and I'd bet that would draw attention. And I'm not saying play for any old team, I'm saying the player can make his own path if he's really good enough for the NBA. If MSS were to improve at the level Toppin has, he def could have gone 1st round to the NBA coming out of VCU.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago If your list is that long, you either already know where you're going and blowing wind up skirts...or, you have no ideer and are trying to drum up interest. JMO
To be quasi-fair, that did say the schools that reached out to *him*.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Santos-Silva is going to PC
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago If your list is that long, you either already know where you're going and blowing wind up skirts...or, you have no ideer and are trying to drum up interest. JMO
To be quasi-fair, that did say the schools that reached out to *him*.
quasi-fair is fair...
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

MSS going to the NBA is outrageous and ain't ever going to happen. He cannot shoot outside of 3 feet and is too slow and he would be guarding much quicker players who can shoot from the outside. He is a good A-10 player with severe limitations........
3 x