Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by adam914 »

Hard to argue with that choice! My guess was Iowa State. Looking forward to following the rest of his career and wish him the best.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Imagine, Uri and Cox were the ones to give this kid a shot when others wouldn’t , and now he leaves them in the dust. What a shame. Best of luck I guess.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
GO RAMS
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Best wishes to Jacob, maybe he is a much better player than I have rated him.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Yeah wish him the best of luck no doubt has a very high ceiling but at this point he needs a lot or work on everything. Maybe a redshirt to work on his body and his entire game.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Imagine, Uri and Cox were the ones to give this kid a shot when others wouldn’t , and now he leaves them in the dust. What a shame. Best of luck I guess.
I mean he had multiple P5 offers coming out of high school. Let’s not make it sound like we were his only offer.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ummmm.... Jacob is a nice player but what the hell are he and his family thinking!? He’ll be recruited over immediately. I truly don’t understand
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

No matter what, if Kentucky came calling how can anybody compete with that?

They'll probably get Haarms from Purdue too.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago Yeah wish him the best of luck no doubt has a very high ceiling but at this point he needs a lot or work on everything. Maybe a redshirt to work on his body and his entire game.
.......exactly, he might get all the needs to develop his game, his head, his body and will stay there through graduation, and then......?
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Oh man. This kid is going to get 2 minutes a game at best. He isn't even the 9th or 10th best player on the team. Just a bad move in my opinion. What a shame. Guy is hitting the Koolaid hard!
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I guess Cox does recruit high level talent...now figure out how to keep it.
6 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Kentucky. Ha!

This move is purely to add relevance to Jacobs career when sitting next to his brother at a holiday dinner.

Roni: “Obi is doing big things in the NBA”

Jacob: “ well - uh - well - ya know mom - Obi went to Dayton and I went to Kentucky so that makes me special too... right? ”
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I wish him only the best. Good luck, Jacob.
1 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Kentucky is one of the truly elite programs in college basketball so I don’t think anyone can fault him for accepting an offer to go there. But if he thinks he’s getting more than 3-4 minutes per game, I want some of what he’s smoking. Look at their incoming players. He’ll be the last guy off the bench and most likely recruited over the 3 years that’s he’s there. But hey, he can say that he “played” at Kentucky!
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

I'm going to enjoy following his career. He could have been one of the few greats here but instead he'll be one of many at Kentucky.

Still wish him the best as he seemed like a smart nice kid.
2 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Still can't believe it. What can you say? Good luck kid, we hardly knew ye'.
This actually makes me feel better oddly enough. Clearly there was tampering, clearly this is only because of who his brother is, clearly he has a HUGE uphill battle to get some real playing time. Kid is betting on himself, and not just betting but going all in with the mortgage and the cars.
I truly hope it works out for him. Helps us sell our next chapter under the new rule - "come to URI, average 15 minutes as a freshman and you can go anywhere, even Kentucky". We should be able to get some top 250 kids with that line.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Can't blame the kid for taking this offer; he must have had an idea before he put himself in the portal. Playing there is a dream opportunity for almost any kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a year to grow a little more; even if the transfer rule changes. Agree we can't blame Cox for this one.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

The University of Rhode Island Men's Basketball.

THE stepping stone to Kentucky in NCAA Division 1 Men's College Basketball.

Cut to a picture of Calipari so intense on the sidelines it looks like he is performing an exorcism.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Can’t blame him but doesn’t mean I like it

I blame the NCAA
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

This may also explain the cryptic Instagram message he posted about not listening to friends/family because they have different ambitions than you.
Anyone else think his family tried to talk him into staying at URI and not making this move?
I don't know them, but I can't see Obi (who just came from Dayton and seems like he loved it there) tell his brother this is a great move...
5 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Wow - hope for him it works out. It makes me feel better about our situation that he left for Kentucky. I don’t take that as a knock on Rhody or Cox at all. Sign of the times, but not that we suck.

If he left for ISU it would make me think there was something going on with our program (lateral move).
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

True
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well he will be competing in practice against a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits, so I guess he won't complain about the Kentucky program not "developing" him.....

Yeah can't really blame Cox for this one.....I agree he probably wouldn't have left if his brother wasn't Obi Toppin.
1 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

We definitely picked the wrong Toppin....I understand betting on yourself but do you think he has any clue that this is just a low risk high reward move by Calipari with his last roster spot....zero risk move by Cal huge risk for Jacob....good luck
0 x
Clapton is God
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I hope he gets used to the future splinters in his ass.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Can't think too much about Dan not taking Obi when he would have come here.

Or else we'll drive ourselves crazy.

But could we imagine what might have been?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This is such a questionable decision by Toppin, but the Toppin name is hot in CBB right now so I guess it makes sense in that aspect?

I look at a guy like Kyle Wiltjer (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... jer-1.html) who was a more talented and polished SF at Kentucky than Toppin is now. Wiltjer could shoot, had size and went on to have reasonable success at Kentucky, but was ultimately recruited over and transferred to Gonzaga where he thrived for two years. Seems like Toppin is going to opposite way and I just don't see how it works out. Toppin has already been recruited over and he's not even on campus yet!

I tried to think of siblings who have used their brother's name to parlay it into playing high level CBB and the only name that came to mind was Seth Curry (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... rry-1.html). The big difference with Seth is that he averaged 20.2 PPG at Liberty as a Freshman, so it wasn't just the Curry name that got him to Duke. Coming off that freshman year, he transferred to Duke and averaged 9.0 PPG. By his senior year Curry was averaging 17.5 PPG and he did eventually make the NBA so it worked out. I just have a tough time seeing a similar path for Toppin.

In terms of Obi Toppin in the pro's, I'm not sure he's going to be anything more than a Hakim Warrick/Stromile Swift type. High draft pick that can jump out of gym, but when you reach the NBA level you can't just get by on jumping out of the gym. I think the idea of Obi becoming Amare Stoudemire is a stretch, especially considering he is already 22.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

redshirt year at KY is probably perfect for him....
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Kentucky is not a questionable decision to me - it makes sense. Bench players from Kentucky play professionally.
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

STC wrote: 4 years ago This is such a questionable decision by Toppin, but the Toppin name is hot in CBB right now so I guess it makes sense in that aspect?

I look at a guy like Kyle Wiltjer (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... jer-1.html) who was a more talented and polished SF at Kentucky than Toppin is now. Wiltjer could shoot, had size and went on to have reasonable success at Kentucky, but was ultimately recruited over and transferred to Gonzaga where he thrived for two years. Seems like Toppin is going to opposite way and I just don't see how it works out. Toppin has already been recruited over and he's not even on campus yet!

I tried to think of siblings who have used their brother's name to parlay it into playing high level CBB and the only name that came to mind was Seth Curry (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... rry-1.html). The big difference with Seth is that he averaged 20.2 PPG at Liberty as a Freshman, so it wasn't just the Curry name that got him to Duke. Coming off that freshman year, he transferred to Duke and averaged 9.0 PPG. By his senior year Curry was averaging 17.5 PPG and he did eventually make the NBA so it worked out. I just have a tough time seeing a similar path for Toppin.

In terms of Obi Toppin in the pro's, I'm not sure he's going to be anything more than a Hakim Warrick/Stromile Swift type. High draft pick that can jump out of gym, but when you reach the NBA level you can't just get by on jumping out of the gym. I think the idea of Obi becoming Amare Stoudemire is a stretch, especially considering he is already 22.
Situation is kind of also like Kostas Antetokounmpo. When he said he was entering the draft after being very average at Dayton it was a little strange. Rode his brothers fame right to the NBA.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I get everyone is pissed and all that, but do we have to stoop to bitching about "tampering" every time? Such a bad look in my opinion.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Maybe he will be getting some financial enhancements that most schools can't offer ? Who knows ? I guess Wii Wade and Sean miller were able
to thumb their noses at the NCAA and I have no doubt Calipari is right there with them.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can’t blame Cox on this one

Good luck to him at Kentucky let’s see how this plays out
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I don't see how this lets Cox of the hook here. Because Jacob is transferring to Kentucky all good? We just had two major cogs transfer out to P5 programs, why weren't they convinced that they could play together at that level here? I mean whats the fucking point? And the tired excuses about budget and enhancements are old and usual. DC really needs to pull the rabbit out of the hat next season, I was on board with him making lemonade last season, but at least we had ripe lemons at that point. The news that Jacob is going to Kentucky doesn't ease my apprehension for this coach or this program. If we are to be the program we all want, our players have to go from here to the pros, not, from here to Kentucky to the pros. This transfer is not acceptable and is an unmitigated indictment on the state of our mediocre program.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, I agree this program is at a crossroads.....and with the economic climate as it is, I don't like where it may end up no matter how good or bad the coaching staff is.

A lot of factors play into this....all depends on one's point of view I guess.

If we slid back into mediocrity......one's thing's for sure, things aren't as good as they were the last 2 years Dan was here.

I think next year will tell us all we need to know.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Can’t blame Cox on this one

Good luck to him at Kentucky let’s see how this plays out
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago
If we slid back into mediocrity......one's thing's for sure, things aren't as good as they were the last 2 years Dan was here.

You need to wait until next year before figuring this out? URI hired the wrong guy. Doesn't mean a real search would have produced someone better than Cox. Avoiding disaster is not nothing. But URI blew a real opportunity two years ago because they wanted continuity and a class to stay together.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Slide into mediocrity? We have the highest rated front court (assuming transfer rule passes) ever at URI. JH, Walker and the twins is a huge advantage over almost any team in the A10 and should give us the guys to compete with Dayton and St Louis. JH was the only guy in that Dayton game who looked promising.

We have 3 freshmen guards who look extremely talented. We have Fatts. We have Shepherd and Martin who have shown the ability to play at the college level. I’m not worried about sliding to mediocrity. It’s a bump in the road, but Cox adjusted fast. Transfer rule passes we are NCAA team next year. Book it.
4 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

So Cox took an unranked player who didn’t even start on his prep school team and in less than a year turned him into a Kentucky recruit. How’s that for player development?
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago

You need to wait until next year before figuring this out? URI hired the wrong guy. Doesn't mean a real search would have produced someone better than Cox. Avoiding disaster is not nothing. But URI blew a real opportunity two years ago because they wanted continuity and a class to stay together.
We're going to have to wait.....and it looks like Thorr has Cox's back anyway....he's not going anywhere for a while.

Next year I want to see major improvement when it comes to the teams' attitude on the floor....like a group of kids who care about playing for each other.

They weren't a very happy bunch this past season....did that contribute to the number of transfers we're seeing?

Yeah we were 21-9...but a hollow 21-9...who did we beat, and how did we finish? Unfortunately that reminded me of a few seasons under a certain coach that was here way too long.

I'm not ready to declare Cox a failure like you are....but things need to turn around starting next season...that's all I'm saying.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago So Cox took an unranked player who didn’t even start on his prep school team and in less than a year turned him into a Kentucky recruit. How’s that for player development?
It looks like DJ may now have a chance to see the court this upcoming season after being absolutely buried on the depth chart. If he can play Cox is looking pretty smart for saving a year of his eligibility.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago So Cox took an unranked player who didn’t even start on his prep school team and in less than a year turned him into a Kentucky recruit. How’s that for player development?
.......I guess that is one measure of player development, another for me, would be a demonstrated improvement in post footwork, low post shot development, and other post play of Jermaine, accomplished by the current staff.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Or there is the other way to look at it - Cox recruited an unranked player, the unranked player's brother (who was an unranked player himself) turned into a D1 POY, and that led to programs thinking URI's unranked player had the potential to also potentially be a high-caliber D1 player.

I myself have a hard time for crediting much of that to the coach, since the player averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds. Had the player averaged 15 points and 8 rebounds, perhaps that is time to say "The coach did a great job developing that player into a quality player."

I think the coach deserves credit for the initial recruit, since he saw the untapped potential long before anyone else did.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
.......I guess that is one measure of player development, another for me, would be a demonstrated improvement in post footwork, low post shot development, and other post play of Jermaine, accomplished by the current staff.....
Cox may have turned him into a Kentucky recruit but the player left for what looks like less time on the court. This leaves me to believe that he felt that even though there may be less minutes at KY, the coaching / player development/ exposure would be better in the long run. Jacob and/or his family couldn't have been thrilled with his lack physical development(right or wrong). I would have love to see how much weight/muscle he could have put on working out over the summer.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think this board has a case of TransferSyndrome. Can't wait until we prove them (da haters) wrong next season.
1 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Slide into mediocrity? We have the highest rated front court (assuming transfer rule passes) ever at URI. JH, Walker and the twins is a huge advantage over almost any team in the A10 and should give us the guys to compete with Dayton and St Louis. JH was the only guy in that Dayton game who looked promising.

We have 3 freshmen guards who look extremely talented. We have Fatts. We have Shepherd and Martin who have shown the ability to play at the college level. I’m not worried about sliding to mediocrity. It’s a bump in the road, but Cox adjusted fast. Transfer rule passes we are NCAA team next year. Book it.
Seriously? These kind of comments sound foolish. It is one thing to hope for the best and another to make false comments with nothing to back this on. Best front court in URI history-this is ridiculous! I like Harris and have always backed him, but he is more of a nice complementary player. Walker is undersized and horrible on defense in my opinion. He has no position because he can’t shoot. Have you seen the Mitchell Twins play? They haven’t accomplished anything yet. Why not wait to see them before declaring them better than Reynolds Dean and Luther Clay or Martin and Cyril. If you are going by recruiting rankings than you must think we have one of the worst backcourts of all time coming in by the current rankings in the 300 and 400’s. Leggett and Berry look to be good under the radar players which Cox has done a good job at recruiting since being here, but can we wait to see them play at this level. Are we really going to declare this team an NCAA tournament team? They could easily end up in 7th instead of first. You must be expecting freshman guards to come in and deliver big time stats for this to happen.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
Cox may have turned him into a Kentucky recruit but the player left for what looks like less time on the court. This leaves me to believe that he felt that even though there may be less minutes at KY, the coaching / player development/ exposure would be better in the long run. Jacob and/or his family couldn't have been thrilled with his lack physical development(right or wrong). I would have love to see how much weight/muscle he could have put on working out over the summer.
Comparing Kentucky to URI is like comparing Las Vegas to a Riverboat Casino operating off the coast of Podunk, Mississippi. Not only do they have a state-of-the-art practice facility, but their have state-of-the-art dorms for the basketball players. The dorms have a private chef, theater-style lounge area, etc. Not to forget the basketball history, both collegiate success and guys into the NBA. The statement doesn't always have to be "Jacob and/or his family couldn't have been thrilled with his lack physical development(right or wrong)." Sometimes the player is just drawn to the bright lights. It's not the Riverboat's fault that they can't compete with Vegas money.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Or there is the other way to look at it - Cox recruited an unranked player, the unranked player's brother (who was an unranked player himself) turned into a D1 POY, and that led to programs thinking URI's unranked player had the potential to also potentially be a high-caliber D1 player.

I myself have a hard time for crediting much of that to the coach, since the player averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds. Had the player averaged 15 points and 8 rebounds, perhaps that is time to say "The coach did a great job developing that player into a quality player."

I think the coach deserves credit for the initial recruit, since he saw the untapped potential long before anyone else did.

+1.

Jacob is just living off his brother. Give him any other last name and he’s starting in Kingston next year.
2 x
Go Rhody