‘19 NY G/F Jacob Toppin (Rhode Island ——-> Kentucky)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: ‘19 NY G/F Jacob Toppin (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago With recent events, seeing his thread get bumped really had me panicking...phew
We had the exact same reaction at about the exact same time.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Same.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

With a year of experience, some added strength and bulk, more consistency with his shooting and Martin gone, Jacob is in great position and primed to be the 2nd guy behind Fatts, along with Jemaine. The opportunity will be there for him and Harris, lets hope they can both make that leap
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Idk why people have been so panicked that Toppin would be next to transfer. Yes his older brother is an NBA lottery pick but Jacob is not there yet, you really think he would have huge schools on him because his last name is Toppin? Maybe? But seriously he is in position to be a starting next year and the fact that his brother is Obi Toppin and plays for mid major Dayton in the same conference as URI would actually be a reason to stay and not act as a deterrent.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

lol I think if it had been I might have cried.

I'm the off-season optimist usually, of course my mind hasn't even aggregated all the info that says we're in the off-season, I'm still reeling from the cancelled post-season, but here we are and this pre-off-season has already been a strange ride.

It goes without saying, but glad this bump is a cool vid and not transfer news that would leave me shell-shocked.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

If Jacob gets to 80% of where Obi's at he's the guy you build around. I'm really looking forward to seeing him continue his cbb journey as a Rhody Ram!
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Toppin with the Mitchell twins for the next three years. Just makes me smile.
3 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I think the Mitchell's coming on only helps Jacob. He can now play a more natural position for him rather than being forced into more of a 4 position when he really seems to be a true wing.
Extremely excited to see his growth with all the parts we're bringing on.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I hear UConn has an open scholarship
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I hear UConn has an open scholarship
No connection at all between Hurley and Toppin, but at this point who the hell knows. 🤦🏻‍♂️
0 x
Go Rhody
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Hurley recruited Obi to RI...ultimately didn't want to take a player who would have to sit out...the rest is history
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I was a huge Toppin fan just like a lot of people here...but this list of schools seems a little crazy.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Insane list - other than Iowa State which I would call a lateral transfer at best. They suck. It’s also the only one on the list he will act see PT at barring massive improvement.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The irony will be incredible if he goes to Kentucky to increase his profile/development only to average 3.3 PPG while sitting behind Terrence Clarke and BJ Boston.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Insane list - other than Iowa State which I would call a lateral transfer at best. They suck. It’s also the only one on the list he will act see PT at barring massive improvement.
Lol Iowa St is light years ahead of us in all facets of college basketball.

Some of the blinders people wear on this board are crazy.
1 x
Go Rhody
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Insane list - other than Iowa State which I would call a lateral transfer at best. They suck. It’s also the only one on the list he will act see PT at barring massive improvement.

haha agreed...Iowa State since 2010 - 7 ncaa tourneys and 4 big 12 conf tourney championships
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Iowa State and URI are not even close. Huge step up. Iowa State is in the NCAA often from a power 5 with many more resources than URI. URI looks like they are headed for another 20 year hiatus from the tourney. I really miss those teams with Mathews, Martin, JT, Dowtin, Cyril, Robinson, Iverdon and Garrett.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Fine they don’t “suck” - who watches Iowa State basketball regularly. Boring. They are a lateral move.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

Iowa State and URI are not even close. Huge step up. Iowa State is in the NCAA often from a power 5 with many more resources than URI. URI looks like they are headed for another 20 year hiatus from the tourney. I really miss those teams with Mathews, Martin, JT, Dowtin, Cyril, Robinson, Iverson and Garrett.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Fine they don’t “suck” - who watches Iowa State basketball regularly. Boring. They are a lateral move.
Hahahah, yea, URI and Iowa St are on the same level as a college basketball program. Sure.

Get a clue.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I have a clue - Iowa State is a better program than URI right now I get that. You can be a better program and still not be sooo much better. Quick name teams in the big 12, how long did it take to get to Iowa State. It’s a boring program.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Fine they don’t “suck” - who watches Iowa State basketball regularly. Boring. They are a lateral move.
Hahahah, yea, URI and Iowa St are on the same level as a college basketball program. Sure.

Get a clue.
NET 2019-20 Season

URI = 57
Iowa State = 96 with a record of (12-20) including (0-11) in road games
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Get a clue.
NET 2019-20 Season

URI = 57

So you’re only gonna look at one year.

Got it, that makes sense.

Looking at one year is TOTALLY the correct way in judging a basketball program, instead of, ya know, mentioning the fact Iowa St has been to the NCAA tournament 7 out of the last 10 years, won the Big 12 tournament 4 times since 2010, With multiple NCAA tourney wins and Sweet 16 appearances.

I’ll repeat myself, get a clue and take off your blinders.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Get a clue.
NET 2019-20 Season

URI = 57

Looking at one year is TOTALLY the correct way in judging a basketball program, instead of, ya know, mentioning the fact Iowa St has been to the NCAA tournament 7 out of the last 10 years, won the Big 12 tournament 4 times since 2010, With multiple NCAA tourney wins and Sweet 16 appearances.

No,
It’s that you are equating Iowa State to Oregon and Kentucky. That’s what the comparison is.
2019-20 NET
Oregon = 12
Kentucky = 21
Iowa State = 96
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I think it's both here, and we can probably all agree, Kentucky and Oregon are a cut above Iowa State and Iowa State (sadly) is a cut above us.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Hoiberg has been gone a few years now, they had a good run with Niang a few years back. It is a boring P5 school choice.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Oregon will be playing in the Maui Invitational in 2021 so Jacob could make his mark in Hawaii similar to what Obi did.
The other seven schools are Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Butler, Notre Dame, Houston, Saint Mary's and host school Chaminade.

In 2020 Oregon plays in the Emerald Coast Classic. Interestingly enough Iowa State is also in this tournament
Florida Gators (SEC)
Illinois Fighting Illini (Big Ten)
Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12)
Oregon Ducks (Pac-12)
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Hoiberg has been gone a few years now, they had a good run with Niang a few years back. It is a boring P5 school choice.
3 out of 5 years with Prohm they finished the year top-20 at KenPom. They earned 6 tournament credits in those 5 years.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

NET 2019-20 Season

URI = 57

No,
It’s that you are equating Iowa State to Oregon and Kentucky. That’s what the comparison is.
2019-20 NET
Oregon = 12
Kentucky = 21
Iowa State = 96
Rhody15 is making the argument on the body of work the last 10 years for ISU vs URI. I think all of us can agree that ISU is not a perennial powrshouse that Kentucky and Oregon are, however the earlier arguments on ISU being a lateral move and a 'boring' program screams ignorance. Are thye a 'boring' program cause its in Ames, IA??? c'mon man
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago

No,
2019-20 NET
Oregon = 12
Kentucky = 21
Iowa State = 96
Rhody15 is making the argument on the body of work the last 10 years for ISU vs URI. I think all of us can agree that ISU is not a perennial powrshouse that Kentucky and Oregon are, however the earlier arguments on ISU being a lateral move and a 'boring' program screams ignorance. Are thye a 'boring' program cause its in Ames, IA??? c'mon man

This is what was said by Rhody15

Do you agree with this?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think Ames has been considered one of the best college town in USA a few times no?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I Oughta Went Around.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah its obviously not a lateral move.

I hate the fact some on here shit on us anytime something like that is said. Uh if you think we are LIGHT YEARS behind any team then why be a fan? We obviously have no chance. Well I guess we are done for 20 years again. We are now Fordham.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Let me know when we have a 29,000 square foot basketball practice facility. Let me know when we have made 7 out of the last 10 tourneys, 4 A10 titles, and two Sweet 16s.

Like I said, light years.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Yeah its obviously not a lateral move.

I hate the fact some on here shit on us anytime something like that is said. Uh if you think we are LIGHT YEARS behind any team then why be a fan? We obviously have no chance. Well I guess we are done for 20 years again. We are now Fordham.
I’m a fan because it’s my school, and have been a fan my whole life.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I have a friend who is a big Iowa State fan/alum. Per him: "We're going to be awful again next year, If we get Toppin he'd probably be our best player."
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

we will agree to disagree - I think Iowa State is fading after a good run and will be irrelevant in the Big 12 for the next 10 years. NO ONE other than ISU fans goes out of their way to watch an Iowa State game. They have had some good teams recently but are not perennially good. Are they a better team than URI right now? - maybe but definitely. Were they better then URI the last 10 years, of course they were.

If Jacob goes to Oregon or Kentucky, I get it, it makes sense to me (possibly huge mistake but I understand it). If he goes to ISU, he may as well stay at Rhody because his chances of being a Star player who people are talking about are the same or better here at Rhody. I would rather be the star player on a team that will compete for the top of the A10, then a rotation player on a team that is middle of pack (or lower) in the Big12. ISU is a lateral move with minimal upside for a good mid-major player.

For another thread, but I do think this is an area that Cox needs to work on as a head coach. I think Cox may be a comparable coach to Hurley (likely even better offensive coach), but Hurley is a tireless and shameless promoter of his players. Cox needs to get out and beat the drum about how great guys are in public. I think he does this but it isn't loud enough. Its not amplified enough. He needs to have the basketball writers on speed dial. Something tells me the Mitchell's mom will help him out on this front.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago

No,
2019-20 NET
Oregon = 12
Kentucky = 21
Iowa State = 96

This is what was said by Rhody15

Do you agree with this?
I dont agree completely with him, its his opinion and respect it. I'm in the grey area of we are def behind a school like ISU (body of wrok, facilities, etc.) but I would not use the phrase 'light years'. However, it would also NOT be a lateral move for Jacob which you called out.

In your most recent post you said ISU is not a pernnial power like Oregon or Kentucky...exactly what I stated above. But they are definitely ahead of Rhody in all aspects of the b-ball program.

Maybe I should provide a little more detail...outside of winning and success on the court...my take is its more of a dig at Thorr for the broken promises with apractice facility, charters, etc.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We can only dream of having something like this.
0 x
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

How could a team that finished 13-18 23-12 and 12 -20 the past three seasons be light years ahead of a program that finished 26-8 18-15
and 21- 9 during the same stretch of seasons ? So URI was 65 - 32 while ISU was 48- 50 . Sure you could say they play in different leagues,
but looking at results you can certainly make an argument that URI has been the better program recently and ISU may be trending the other way .
Now to say ISU is light years away or even better than URI at this point in history I think is difficult to support . Program facilities are all well and good , but results are what matters . You get no wins just because your facilities appear better. Wins and losses is all that matters. Uri has an NCAA win
and ISU has zero wins . In the past 4 seasons URI as 2 NCAA wins and ISU has 1 . You can certainly make the argument that URI is trending up
and ISU is trending down . so is ISU a better program at this point ? I don't think so . where the two programs go from here is anybody's guess.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Yeah its obviously not a lateral move.

I’m a fan because it’s my school, and have been a fan my whole life.
Maybe you should check out Iowa State? They are light years ahead of URI in everything. Sounds great!!
0 x
ericf0120
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ericf0120 »

Jacob Toppin to Kentucky. Sucks that we lost him but i honestly can’t be mad at him in the least bit anymore. This is a move where it gives him a legitimate shot at the NBA assuming he continues to progress. Hate Kentucky but love Calipari. Best to Toppin moving forward
0 x
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

Wow Toppin to Kentucky
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

ericf0120 wrote: 4 years ago Jacob Toppin to Kentucky. Sucks that we lost him but i honestly can’t be mad at him in the least bit anymore. This is a move where it gives him a legitimate shot at the NBA assuming he continues to progress. Hate Kentucky but love Calipari. Best to Toppin moving forward
Whats wrong with this statement? Love Calipari?

Were you around in the 90's
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ericf0120 wrote: 4 years ago Jacob Toppin to Kentucky. Sucks that we lost him but i honestly can’t be mad at him in the least bit anymore. This is a move where it gives him a legitimate shot at the NBA assuming he continues to progress. Hate Kentucky but love Calipari. Best to Toppin moving forward
Kentucky recruits one and done NBA talent consistently. He’s going to have to drastically improve to actual see the floor and play meaningful minutes. It’ll be a fun experience but if he wants to play this is a dumb move.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
Kentucky recruits one and done NBA talent consistently. He’s going to have to drastically improve to actual see the floor and play meaningful minutes. It’ll be a fun experience but if he wants to play this is a dumb move.
You can average three points a game for them and get in the NBA.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
You can average three points a game for them and get in the NBA.
Give me even one example where that’s true.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘19 NY G/F Jacob Toppin (Rhode Island ——-> Kentucky)

Unread post by TruePoint »

The NBA literally doesn’t care at all if you played at Kentucky or Rhode Island or Murray State. Even if a guy that averaged 3 pts for UK were drafted (which is an absurd hypothetical, but let’s go with it), it wouldn’t be because he averaged 3 pts at Kentucky it would be because of everything he put on tape in HS and prep DESPITE getting buried at Kentucky presumably because of extenuating circumstances. Like Matt Cassel coming out of USC.

Anyways, at risk of being impolitic, I think he’s an idiot for doing this. I do get it. It would tempting to me if Google wanted me to be their general counsel - it would be awesome to put it on my resume and tell my friends about my new job, and the money would be nice - but ultimately I’d be in over my head even though I’m really good at my job, and I don’t know how long that would be fun for. I think Jacob is good and I thought he’d be a star in the A10, but if he couldn’t get more wing minutes at URI last season how is he going to get meaningful minutes competing against top-10 recruits and lottery picks? On a personal level I wish him the best because he seems like a good kid and I’d hate to see his career just fall apart sitting next to the trainers at the end of the bench, but it’s disappointing because it really seems like a shortsighted and frankly silly move.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Now we can be the one and done for the mid majors. Go here one year and transfer to a blue blood program....2 this year. Why go to another mid major? 😜
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I know I said I would move past this...but I have to question his judgement on this one.

But for Kentucky to take him....they must think he'll be as good as his brother.

Good luck kid.
0 x