Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Jacob wrote this on his IG. Sounds like a kid who thinks he knows it all yet doesn't have a clue....."The #1 reason people fail in life is because they listen to their friends, family and colleagues. Stop asking advice from people who are not where you wanna be."

Last time I checked his brother is his family and is exactly where Jacobs wants to be..
Still, it's a confusing post. As usual with all these "mysterious" characters and their cryptic posts it could mean 100 different things, so mysterious.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea it is very confusing, I can easily see how it can be interpreted in a positive and negative way about our program.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I stand by my opinion that if he goes to Dayton, that says a LOT about our program.

And none of it is good.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm not saying we're Dayton - their program and support is better than ours. Simple fact whether we like it or not. But Dayton had a rash of transfers out a couple of years ago and look how that turned out. It looked like the sky was falling for them, then it wasn't. If we can mimic that, we could be in good shape (someone tell Jacob).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s not going to Dayton. 100% certain.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The Dayton board has a whole, long thread on getting Toppin. They also asking what is going on with URI? No idea where he goes, but it won’t be at URI so I could care less.
2 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

If he goes to Dayton, it means the A10 is weak. Almost all other conferences flat out prevent intra conference transfers. Big East flat out denies them for basketball with no exceptions.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I hope he pulls his name out of the portal.
Like I said, it would take a good deal of maturity to do so, but it would work for both sides.

No ill will - with the new rule pending, it is ok to see what opportunities are out there.
I just find it hard to believe that a 5 pt/game, 24% 3-pt shooter will be guaranteed big minutes at a P5.
Come back, work on your game and slay the A-10 and the big time offers will roll in, if that is what you are looking for.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago I hope he pulls his name out of the portal.
Like I said, it would take a good deal of maturity to do so, but it would work for both sides.

No ill will - with the new rule pending, it is ok to see what opportunities are out there.
I just find it hard to believe that a 5 pt/game, 24% 3-pt shooter will be guaranteed big minutes at a P5.
Come back, work on your game and slay the A-10 and the big time offers will roll in, if that is what you are looking for.
That’s my thought. While I’d love to have a body of his size and ability, he just doesn’t move the needle enough to seemingly have P5’s jumping over each other to offer him. He was literally guaranteed a starter’s role here. Makes no sense. He will be really good, but he isn’t, yet!
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

He may be getting a lot of attention because of what his older brother did.
You compare his body and physical gifts vs where Obi was at a similar point
in his development ( although Obi was in prep school) and you can plot
an upward slope. People are probably willing to take a shot and make promises
which they may or may not keep. Once he transfers he is pretty much trapped
where ever he lands. and yes I am pretty sure there is poaching going on here!!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I get that people think he will become Obi - Giannis had a little brother too. Actually he was one of the transfers out of Dayton that had their fanbase cringing and calling for Anthony Grant to be let go. Then Obi got to play last year and was really good, then some other transfers came available this year and Dayton is a top 10 team.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Can’t vouch for this guy, but this was posted on our board a little while ago

“ I'm cousins with the Toppins and they are nothing like the Harris family. Their father Obi Sr. used to be a really good ball player and Obi Jr. has developed because of the hard work he has put in. Those kids work hard as hell and there's nothing soft about them. Their dad won't settle for anything less! Jacob is still developing into his body and he's not done growing. Once he figures it out and is being coached by someone who believes in him he will be a good player also.He's not transferring because he is looking at his brothers success and thinking he can emulate it. He know's he has to work to become a great player and he's willing to put the work in. He's leaving because of the coaching staff point blank!”
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Yikes, he’s going to ride the bench and also get recruited over if he goes to 2/3 of those. Bad move.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He will sit the bench at all 3
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That takes care of that.

So Toppin feels that Cox didn't believe in him?

Due to PT or lack of it, in his opinion?

If that's the way he feels, then so long.....
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

If he goes, I hope he goes to Kentucky. ;-)
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Kentucky must think it’s Obi
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago Can’t vouch for this guy, but this was posted on our board a little while ago

“ I'm cousins with the Toppins and they are nothing like the Harris family. Their father Obi Sr. used to be a really good ball player and Obi Jr. has developed because of the hard work he has put in. Those kids work hard as hell and there's nothing soft about them. Their dad won't settle for anything less! Jacob is still developing into his body and he's not done growing. Once he figures it out and is being coached by someone who believes in him he will be a good player also.He's not transferring because he is looking at his brothers success and thinking he can emulate it. He know's he has to work to become a great player and he's willing to put the work in. He's leaving because of the coaching staff point blank!”
Bullshit creek. The day we start believing shit posted on a PC board is when you really need to get checked.

Kentucky wants him to ride their bench. That is the noise that was in his ear being at home.
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

For him to have cut his list that quick, imagine how long they’ve been talking to him.
4 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Kentucky wow. He must be talking to some beauties or has a vivid imagination. KY can lose 10 guys and he will be lucky to play. But he will have nicer facilities and great seats to games at Rupp Arena. I guess it pays to have the Toppin name after Obi's POY. Also, he got that list pretty fast, but I doubt any tampering was going on. We know Hurley would never ever do it, but maybe some other guys would.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Funny thing is too, Kentucky , UNC, Kansas even UConn will have free reign to tampering without repercussion. Just don't let the Cartel find out Bryant or Fairleigh Dickerson is tampering.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sometimes just being on a Calipari team is enough to get you drafted.
3 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago That takes care of that.

He was getting almost 20 minutes per game as a freshman. Wouldn't that indicate that Cox has faith in his ability??
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago Can’t vouch for this guy, but this was posted on our board a little while ago

I'd hate to think this is true. If it is, then that's a problem that needs to be addressed. Other than one random GMU fan on twitter, who said Toppin was soft? Was it the coaching staff? (I know that twitter account said the coach said that, but it's that verified?). I certainly think that Toppin works hard. If the coaching staff thinks he's soft, do they really start him the 3 games they needed to (vs. Davidson to send Fatts a msg, and at St. Joe's and Fordham when Downtin and Langevine couldn't play)? Is he in the game late to draw that foul and game winning FTs vs. Fordham? Don't give me the limited roster. That only accounts for him being in the game. If the staff doesn't trust him to play he wouldn't be in those positions period. Also, remember when the slimy Bergeron of UMass went after Toppin post game? Who had Toppin's back? Cox did. (Now maybe this poster is referring to the assistants and not Cox, who knows).

Still, I'd love to hear more about if it is the coaching staff under Cox or Cox himself. I have a hard time thinking it's Cox only because of what I said above.

Another point that I'm wondering is what does this poster mean by the Harris family? What does that have to do with it?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago I hope he pulls his name out of the portal.

We all know those 5 pt a game stats are useless. He was a freshman coming off the bench. Look at the Mitchell Twins. Why don’t we talk about their .9 and 3 point a game stays? Because in all three cases these are not a good point of discussion.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Just saying he is not a star yet - 18 min/game is a pretty good sample size.
Also remember he is moving up a level and not down.
Big leap of faith by a P5 to guarantee more minutes than we had to offer, that's all.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Again, I'm disappointed in both Toppin and Tate transferring b/c they seemed happy to be here. I guess I was wrong. We all know Tate had other reasons for transferring. Toppin came here because he loved what felt like family. So either that didn't turn out that way and it was a charade or he changed his mind on what was important.

I'm also disappointed with Martin because he would have had a monster next 2 seasons, but he didn't seem like he wanted to be here, so I'm not as disappointed.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago

He was getting almost 20 minutes per game as a freshman. Wouldn't that indicate that Cox has faith in his ability??
And Cox started him TWICE.

The fact that you all are putting credence into an anonymous PC poster is stupid.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

The fact that you all are putting credence into an anonymous PC poster is stupid.
3 times, actually (at least according to the box score) - vs. Davidson and at SJU and Fordam. Plus he was in the game at the end for the tight one vs. Fordham, hitting the tying and winning FTs.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

3 times, actually (at least according to the box score) - vs. Davidson and at SJU and Fordam. Plus he was in the game at the end for the tight one vs. Fordham, hitting the tying and winning FTs. I don't give much credence to any rando on a PC board or for the twitter GMU dude who claims Cox thinks he's soft. You don't start someone 3 times who's soft (apologies to TP and Richmond) and he's not playing crunch time minutes if you don't trust the player. But some of the points made are interesting...perhaps (if true) Toppin didn't get along with the staff other than Cox.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Maybe he doesn’t see himself prospering or being comfortable in Cox’s 1/2 court offense? He looked lost at times, late off picks got tight on spacing etc. Freshman learning new things tho it happens...

Doubt we’ll ever really know but the elite physical skills of the player are undeniable. Not sure how you all can say he’s riding the bench anywhere especially if he finds the right offense to display his skill set.

Unless of course it’s sour grapes, I’m there too on that.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago
So then he's cut his list to Iowa State.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago He will sit the bench at all 3
Not Iowa State. He will play in the 20 minute a game range
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hahahahahaha I NEED him to go to Kentucky to get recruited over every year and average 6 and 4 for the rest of his career there.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If fucking Kentucky is calling him then what can you do?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

No matter where he goes and we can all hope for him to contribute 6 points a game at Kentucky,we are in much worse shape than we were a couple days ago. This is going to be a middle of the pack A-10 team when Fatts leaves. Toppin loses and so does URI
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

From this article:

“We got Jacob here because his people believed this was a mid-major program that could get him to a different level. He was moving in that direction but when his family came here a few times this season they wanted to see the growth of our program. They felt it’s not where we needed to be. That’s what we’re fighting.”
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago If fucking Kentucky is calling him then what can you do?
Like I said, Keep his athletic ability and potential the same, give him the same game log and stats this year and change his last name, these teams wouldn’t be sniffing him.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
0 x
GO RAMS
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Coronavirus or not, seems like Toppin was never coming back.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago From this article:

“We got Jacob here because his people believed this was a mid-major program that could get him to a different level. He was moving in that direction but when his family came here a few times this season they wanted to see the growth of our program. They felt it’s not where we needed to be. That’s what we’re fighting.”
In other words, the program is not growing and is not at the level of fellow A10 members like Dayton, Davidson, VCU and St. Louis, who are not losing players to the transfer portal.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

In other words, the program is not growing and is not at the level of fellow A10 members like Dayton, Davidson, VCU and St. Louis, who are not losing players to the transfer portal.
BINGO
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

YES
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sounds like Thorr and Cox are on the same page.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

No.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Why are other A10 programs consistently raised above URI on this board when they are basically neck and neck on the court?

Davidson? They play in a cafeteria. VCU won’t beat URI this upcoming year.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Why are other A10 programs consistently raised above URI on this board when they are basically neck and neck on the court?

Davidson? They play in a cafeteria. VCU won’t beat URI this upcoming year.
On the other hand, why isn't a kid like Bones Hyland transferring? Besides Tre Mitchell, he is clearly the best freshman in the league? He certainly has opportunities to play at a higher level than the A10.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

I think we all know the family didn't visit in December and ask why haven't you built any new facilities in the last 6 months. The growth they were looking for was Toppin specific.
1 x