URI Men's Basketball Program

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

URI Men's Basketball Program

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Ok I just need to get this out there. I have been a URI fan since I was a kid, the late 70's. All my friends rooted for PC. To say that we have been on a roller coaster of journeys over the years would be an understatement. The highs 77-79 Jack Kraft had these program rolling and then came Claude English and Brendan Malone to take us right back down. Dave Gavitt, who we all hate, was a genius in creating the Big East the bad part is he left us out.
The next high came in 1987 with the smiling, confident Tom Penders. What a two years he gave us and then about a week after a fantastic sweet sixteen run, I will never forget the knock on the suite door and Asst Coach Jamie telling my suite mate that coach Penders was leaving and if you guys want Al you need to speak up to the AD. So the good times continued with Al Skinner for the next ten years with 2 NCAA and 2 NIT appearances. Then the President and AD let his contract run out and off to BC he went. In comes Jim Harrick and the best two years of URI basketball ensued. So for a 13 years this was the best period in URI history, 5 NCAA's (1 Sweet Sixteen and 1 Elite eight) and 3 NIT appearances.

And then we had the most terrible day in URI history, April 1 1999.(you can read about it in the thread that has lived on in Keaney Blue.) The next two decisions gave us 18 miserable years. Some can say Baron gave us some good years with 5 NIT appearances but those teams had a lot of talent that just couldn't get over the hump.

Then finally the sun broke through the clouds again and gave us Dan Hurley. the cocky, young, go-getter who wouldn't settle. He brought us hope again. More ticket sales, better recruits and finally some life for a chance to get back the glory days of the 80's and 90's. And he came through after two years he got to the NIT and then back to back NCAA round of 32 appearances. And for the 4th time since the late 70's the administration let the coach walk.

David Cox was hired and here we are. I am not here to bash David Cox.

What's the point of this post? To show people why I get so aggravated when OUR University's Flagship Program starts heading the wrong way. I have grown up with this program, spent a ton of money on this program, traveled near and far with this program, and shed a lot of tears over this program. Why can't we ever have nice things and keep the momentum? 2 words, The Administration. They talk a great game of how important this program is to the University but never, over the 44 years I have been a fan, have they put their money where their mouth is. Why hasn't the last two NCAA shares been used strictly to improve the basketball program? Where did the Hurley buyout money go? That should have gone right back into basketball. Forget putting it into the overall budget, this money should have been used to keep the momentum. Instead we are slipping back to where some of the fan base accepts, mediocrity.

So, my aggravation with all this player turnover is rooted in my love for URI. Nothing personal against David Cox but come on man, you need to build strong enough relationships with your guys. You need to want them to wear that Keaney blue uniform for four years and have it mean something to them.

If we are going to have 7 or 8 guys a year leave then maybe this is no longer for me because it has always been about the name on the front of the jersey and the pride in seeing these young men succeed. Being in attendance at NCAA tourney games and being so proud to see our guys out there representing our University, Man there is nothing better than that. Maybe I am just to invested emotionally to be a fan in today's world.

Oh well sorry for the long post but I needed to put my heart out there and maybe help me realize a step back is needed.
Last edited by Rhodyhooopz 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
26 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Men's Basketball Program

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Great post. I feel the same way. And I've been a fan since 1964.

Want to add only one thing....the excuse that the team had to go home due to the virus, and that what happened then resulted in guys leaving...well that's just a weak sauce excuse.

Why? Because that's the case with EVERY team in the country!

And many programs haven't lost anybody!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhodyhoopz, that is a beautiful post. Clearly you epitomize what being a true fan of college basketball is all about.

I only started following this team the past 5 years. But it has been one of the best sports experience I have had. To see Hurley resurrect this program and have players like EC, Hass, Stan, Fatts, Jeff, Cyril and others show the commitment, dedication and loyalty needed to achieve greatness is what makes sports so enjoyable. Let's hope we can see that greatness again.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......the program has been under-resourced to compete at the levels we as fans want......until that changes, we will get an occasional flash in the pan season, but then back to mediocrity.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Ok I just need to get this out there. I have been a URI fan since I was a kid, the late 70's. All my friends rooted for PC. To say that we have been on a roller coaster of journeys over the years would be an understatement. The highs 77-79 Jack Kraft had these program rolling and then came Claude English and Brendan Malone to take us right back down. Dave Gavitt, who we all hate, was a genius in creating the Big East the bad part is he left us out.
The next high came in 1987 with the smiling, confident Tom Penders. What a two years he gave us and then about a week after a fantastic sweet sixteen run, I will never forget the knock on the suite door and Asst Coach Jamie telling my suite mate that coach Penders was leaving and if you guys want Al you need to speak up to the AD. So the good times continued with Al Skinner for the next ten years with 2 NCAA and 2 NIT appearances. Then the President and AD let his contract run out and off to BC he went. In comes Jim Harrick and the best two years of URI basketball ensued. So for a 13 years this was the best period in URI history, 5 NCAA's (1 Sweet Sixteen and 1 Elite eight) and 3 NIT appearances.

And then we had the most terrible day in URI history, April 1 1999.(you can read about it in the thread that has lived on in Keaney Blue.) The next two decisions gave us 18 miserable years. Some can say Baron gave us some good years with 5 NIT appearances but those teams had a lot of talent that just couldn't get over the hump.

Then finally the sun broke through the clouds again and gave us Dan Hurley. the cocky, young, go-getter who wouldn't settle. He brought us hope again. More ticket sales, better recruits and finally some life for a chance to get back the glory days of the 80's and 90's. And he came through after two years he got to the NIT and then back to back NCAA round of 32 appearances. And for the 4th time since the late 70's the administration let the coach walk.

David Cox was hired and here we are. I am not here to bash David Cox.

What's the point of this post? To show people why I get so aggravated when OUR University's Flagship Program starts heading the wrong way. I have grown up with this program, spent a ton of money on this program, traveled near and far with this program, and shed a lot of tears over this program. Why can't we ever have nice things and keep the momentum? 2 words, The Administration. They talk a great game of how important this program is to the University but never, over the 44 years I have been a fan, have they put their money where their mouth is. Why hasn't the last two NCAA shares been used strictly to improve the basketball program? Where did the Hurley buyout money go? That should have gone right back into basketball. Forget putting it into the overall budget, this money should have been used to keep the momentum. Instead we are slipping back to where some of the fan base accepts, mediocrity.

So, my aggravation with all this player turnover is rooted in my love for URI. Nothing personal against David Cox but come on man, you need to build strong enough relationships with your guys. You need to want them to wear that Keaney blue uniform for four years and have it mean something to them.

If we are going to have 7 or 8 guys a year leave then maybe this is no longer for me because it has always been about the name on the front of the jersey and the pride in seeing these young men succeed. Being in attendance at NCAA tourney games and being so proud to see our guys out there representing our University, Man there is nothing better than that. Maybe I am just to invested emotionally to be a fan in today's world.

Oh well sorry for the long post but I needed to put my heart out there and maybe help me realize a step back is needed.
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (263.12 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Hot take... we will still be top 4 next season.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago Hot take... we will still be top 4 next season.
Hope you're right, and while it will be good, it will not be enjoyable to root for a team then have to get to root for a new group of players each season. We'll not have senior nights and fans will be lost.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Rhodyhoopz,

I am an out of stater who attended URI in the mid 80's and was converted into a rabid fan during our success in the Penders era. I was a freshman in Ellery Hall - where most of the basketball players lived. I have been at most games since 1989 when I left the university. I also echo the timeline and highs and lows that you discuss. There have been some really great rides as well as some very very low points to our program.

The unpredictability of what is going on right now on our team as well as in lots of college teams due to the transfer rules is CRAZY. Its like every year is a free agent year for these kids. I don't know how to put more teeth in the system but it shouldn't be this easy to transfer. Obviously the current situation with COVID lockdowns has allowed these kids a ton of downtime to be influenced one way or the other.

I really hope Rhody can navigate these rough waters to remain a contending program for NCAA berths year in and year out. That's one of the biggest reasons I am such a fan. I love the underdog A10 and proving to the bigger elites that we can compete and win.

Kids have changed. Instant success or gratification is at the top of their list.

I will continue to support this team through thick and thin ...................just give me a little more consistency........Cox is ultimately the man to keep them here - he has to convince them like a coach and father that he has their best interest in mind.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Great post. I feel the same way. And I've been a fan since 1964.

Want to add only one thing....the excuse that the team had to go home due to the virus, and that what happened then resulted in guys leaving...well that's just a weak sauce excuse.

Why? Because that's the case with EVERY team in the country!

And many programs haven't lost anybody!
More generally, this is my biggest issue with all this.

People can make a case that URI’s coaching staff is blameless in the mass exodus of players: the transfer rules, the growing chasm between the power conferences and even high majors, the changing culture both within and around basketball, the weird end of the season with the impact of the pandemic, etc. You can point to guys saying on their way out that it isn’t about the coaches and they love the staff and the school but needed to change. All of that is fair to a point.

But when you look around college basketball, with some notable exceptions like Wichita State and a few others, this is an abnormal level of turnover for a basketball program of this supposed caliber. Factoring in all of the above, a lot of which is true for other similarly situated programs, the level of roster turnover at URI has been unusually high.

Yes, for a while, all of the exits seemed to ultimately result in net improvements to the roster so I resisted being critical - but the recent losses of Martin, Toppin and even going back to Tate are all guys who would have been significant contributors going forward. And yes, given the turnover, the staff has done an admirable job of back filling the roster and bringing in exciting talent to fill the spots. But at the end of the day, I think this really comes down to one question: if Dan Hurley was still the coach here do you think we would have more, less or about the same roster turnover over the last 24 months? For me, that’s an easy question to answer.

Look at peer schools and whether they’ve seen this kind of turnover - have VCU and Richmond gone thru this? Has Providence? Would URI be going thru it if Hurley was still here? The answer to all of these questions point in the same direction.

And to me the idea that it doesn’t matter because the team Cox will ultimately put on the floor will be competitive either way, I will just say that we could be good every year and if it is with a constantly rotating cast of mercenaries and vagabonds, it just will not have the same resonance with me. I’ve been very connected to this program for 30 years, since I was a grade schooler, thru when I was a student and young alumni living out of state connecting back to the school thru basketball, and now as donor and season ticket holder. My loyalty to the program is very high and I’d have described it as unshakeable until very recently, but a major component of my connection has been with the players and watching them develop as players and people. Following recruiting and roster building had always been another part of being a fan I really enjoyed, but it has now become tedious and joyless.

I’m still working thru what all of this means for my fandom and I don’t have an answer yet for how I will interact with the program going forward, but the very idea that this is a question at all considering where I’ve been with my investment in it up to now is a shocking development, at least to me.
10 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Rhodyhoopz original post does a fantastic job of how I think most posters here feel.

My 2 cents are not as well thought out and organized.

I graduated in 2011 and I am from NY so my ties to the school only go back to my freshman year of 2007. My view of our program is thus built on a brittle foundation due to being built on the Baron years. Ultimately I think that as a fan base, we have high expectations for a program that had a history of success but hasn't had basically any of that in the past 2 decades. NIT games are great but realistically mean nothing. We've had 2 NCAA appearances in 20 years. That is not a solid program. That's not even a good program. You might even have difficulty arguing that we are mediocre at best. In those some 2 decades (since 2000) we have graduated a small handful of players that have even stepped foot on an NBA court. I think this is the division in our fan base. It seems lots of posters here with the highest expectations are the ones who remember the 80s and 90s, not as many of us from the 2000s which probably have a different outlook on the program.
We had the 2 appearances under a coach who has a legendary name that could get commits with that alone. Was he a very good coach? Yes, but there are lots of very good coaches, Hurley is a Hurley so he has built in marketing right there.
So why all the transfers now? I'm not sure, but I would think that "the family" we have been selling has gone through an ugly divorce. While Cox was kept to keep the momentum from the Hurley era, he has had to create his own atmosphere and culture that seems similar to Hurleys but obviously can't be a clone(and for the record I'm still on board, I think he has done a fairly good job this far. Not great but good enough to keep the program moving forward). The pressure from everyone within the school and from this board was "we need to keep winning to make NCAAs, don't care how it happens just get it done"; YET, we gave Cox the same (if not less) resources than we gave Hurley. So a coach without the Hurley name as added marketing has been trying to build a team to win now and put pieces in place to live up to the pressure.

Long story short; We have been mediocre for basically longer than anyone on our current roster has been alive. Our institution doesn't invest in the program at a high level compared to other schools in our own conference let alone other conferences. I will continue to support the team in the ways I have been for the past several years, but now when my friends say "same old URI" every year, I won't argue how we are different.
My rant is over, hope someone found it useful (young frustrated man yelling at clouds).
5 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Rhodyhoopz original post does a fantastic job of how I think most posters here feel.

My 2 cents are not as well thought out and organized.

I graduated in 2011 and I am from NY so my ties to the school only go back to my freshman year of 2007. My view of our program is thus built on a brittle foundation due to being built on the Baron years. Ultimately I think that as a fan base, we have high expectations for a program that had a history of success but hasn't had basically any of that in the past 2 decades. NIT games are great but realistically mean nothing. We've had 2 NCAA appearances in 20 years. That is not a solid program. That's not even a good program. You might even have difficulty arguing that we are mediocre at best. In those some 2 decades (since 2000) we have graduated a small handful of players that have even stepped foot on an NBA court. I think this is the division in our fan base. It seems lots of posters here with the highest expectations are the ones who remember the 80s and 90s, not as many of us from the 2000s which probably have a different outlook on the program.
We had the 2 appearances under a coach who has a legendary name that could get commits with that alone. Was he a very good coach? Yes, but there are lots of very good coaches, Hurley is a Hurley so he has built in marketing right there.
So why all the transfers now? I'm not sure, but I would think that "the family" we have been selling has gone through an ugly divorce. While Cox was kept to keep the momentum from the Hurley era, he has had to create his own atmosphere and culture that seems similar to Hurleys but obviously can't be a clone(and for the record I'm still on board, I think he has done a fairly good job this far. Not great but good enough to keep the program moving forward). The pressure from everyone within the school and from this board was "we need to keep winning to make NCAAs, don't care how it happens just get it done"; YET, we gave Cox the same (if not less) resources than we gave Hurley. So a coach without the Hurley name as added marketing has been trying to build a team to win now and put pieces in place to live up to the pressure.

Long story short; We have been mediocre for basically longer than anyone on our current roster has been alive. Our institution doesn't invest in the program at a high level compared to other schools in our own conference let alone other conferences. I will continue to support the team in the ways I have been for the past several years, but now when my friends say "same old URI" every year, I won't argue how we are different.
My rant is over, hope someone found it useful (young frustrated man yelling at clouds).
Good post. Unfortunately you are probably correct. The truth hurts
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
That's all we're ever doing around here...but very good summary of feelings!

1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

This may be super naive but I am going to put it out there...

Where is the money going from the buyout of Hurley's contract, from the NCAAT appearances, and more specifically from the donations to the program?

I for one, would like to know where my funds are going...why the big secret?
3 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Because the are being used to float the entire athletic department with the exception of specifically directed donations.
Basketball gets it's normal percentage of the budget …. MAYBE a little bit more but nowhere near enough to compete
on the level of many of the A10 Schools let alone the P5 schools. That's why the big secret and no visible changes.
2 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Stop pitching the alumni as a "basketball first" school if the funds are getting diverted all over.

Call me crazy, but I could give a shit about the URI pickleball team!
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago This may be super naive but I am going to put it out there...

Where is the money going from the buyout of Hurley's contract, from the NCAAT appearances, and more specifically from the donations to the program?

This is where I am too. I've been a big fan of Thorr for a while and think he's a very nice guy. I'm wondering if some of the turnover might be frustration with his level of the administration. Like when he told us they were still full speed ahead on the practice facility, I wonder if he made similar commitments to the men's team that never came to fruition and the team feels duped. I know I feel duped on the upward trajectory of the men's team after being promised that the momentum of what Hurley built will continue because we tasted success and don't want to fall back to where we came from before Dan.

Is Thorr too nice, too soft spoken? Does URI really need a more aggressive AD that will lobby relentlessly to Dooley to get a larger allocation of the university budget? I've spoken to Thorr and Dooley at the same time about the importance of successful sports programs to their universities so I would hope they see the ROI through investing more in athletics makes it worthwhile.

In the end I feel duped and I feel the men's team and staff were duped.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago Hot take... we will still be top 4 next season.
Hope you're right, and while it will be good, it will not be enjoyable to root for a team then have to get to root for a new group of players each season. We'll not have senior nights and fans will be lost.
Given our recent wretched performances on Senior Night, that might not be a bad thing ...
3 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago This may be super naive but I am going to put it out there...

Because it's probably not going to the athletic department directly. It's going to the school to apportion how it wants.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago Image
This should probably just be our banner pic for the board at this point.
5 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

URI not using the Basketball procured money on the Basketball program is complete B.S.

And, doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

Thorr's time here might be just about done. They all start out great when they are new and have fire in the belly. Then, they get Rhode Island "domesticated" and realize job #1 is "we all have to save our phony baloney jobs" (another Rod-ism)
3 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Yes - Both the university and the fan base should do more to invest in the basketball program. Yes- we should have dedicated practice facilities and chartered flights. Yes- kids nowadays have different expectations and work ethics than years ago. Yes- the NCAA transfer rules have made movement significantly easier and acceptable.

HOWEVER- all of those points above are just low hanging fruit as to why we lost the equivalent to an entire team, basically an entire recruiting class, to transfers in the last two years. You got the players in the door without anything of what I mentioned above - that’s the hardest part. Keeping them isn’t supposed to be the challenge.

Now think about this... we are getting transfers who are LEAVING programs that have state of the art facilities, gyms, planes, and you name it - to play for URI.

Our greatest successful years - both recruiting and winning - were all done without all these things that we supposedly need to be competitive.

Again - I agree we need upgrades. No doubt about that. BUT... our lack of facilities/charters/whatever would more likely show a lack of interest in JOINING our program... not problems STAYING with the program.

I continue to be the bad guy... I firmly believe our issues specifically related to the mass exodus of players is solely a coaching issue.
8 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 4 years ago Yes - Both the university and the fan base should do more to invest in the basketball program. Yes- we should have dedicated practice facilities and chartered flights. Yes- kids nowadays have different expectations and work ethics than years ago. Yes- the NCAA transfer rules have made movement significantly easier and acceptable.

HOWEVER- all of those points above are just low hanging fruit as to why we lost the equivalent to an entire team, basically an entire recruiting class, to transfers in the last two years. You got the players in the door without anything of what I mentioned above - that’s the hardest part. Keeping them isn’t supposed to be the challenge.

Now think about this... we are getting transfers who are LEAVING programs that have state of the art facilities, gyms, planes, and you name it - to play for URI.

Our greatest successful years - both recruiting and winning - were all done without all these things that we supposedly need to be competitive.

Again - I agree we need upgrades. No doubt about that. BUT... our lack of facilities/charters/whatever would more likely show a lack of interest in JOINING our program... not problems STAYING with the program.

I continue to be the bad guy... I firmly believe our issues specifically related to the mass exodus of players is solely a coaching issue.
Exactly this.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 4 years ago Yes - Both the university and the fan base should do more to invest in the basketball program. Yes- we should have dedicated practice facilities and chartered flights. Yes- kids nowadays have different expectations and work ethics than years ago. Yes- the NCAA transfer rules have made movement significantly easier and acceptable.

Bingo
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......maybe these kids that leave and state the “father figure” things are leaving cause they feel their games will flourish under a more hard ass Coach/teacher type......maybe not as crazy as this sounds.......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We could lose our entire roster (we basically have) and somehow it wouldn't be Cox's fault.

It's on the coach to convince these kids to stay. It's on the coach to make parents, family, friends, and mentors believe that this is the program that will get their kid to that next level. Why? Because they are playing under him.

We just had a coach who proved it's POSSIBLE to keep our key players at this school. We are supposed to lower our standards now?

Cox can recruit kids here better than most in the league. I have no idea why he can't keep them.... I hope that changes.
Last edited by steveystuds06 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

My memory isn’t what is used to be but do I recall correctly the strong argument made in support of Cox vs dancing with a devil was keeping the group together?

Perhaps the completely new group next season will be the ticket?

My strong opinion is everything regarding a D1 program is on the coach 100%.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

What exactly are the issues with Cox? Yes, he bears responsibility for retention of players but has anybody heard why these players are leaving? What is the common thread?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This is truly the way I feel...

I REALLY hope that the problem here isn't the coach. I think sentiment on this board at least is turning against him.

If he IS the problem, it's not going to be an easy fix.

If we have the same issues after next season, then I think it's safe to say that we have to move on to the next coach.

The Cox experiment would need to be over.

The administration plus the boosters would do what they have to do.

They did it with Baron...they'll do it here.

3 years is enough for a sufficient sample size. He no longer gets the benefit of being a new HC. No more excuses.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The biggest difference between great assistant coaches and great head coaches is not the Xs and Os, not the talent development skills, nor the recruiting and scouting abilities. Great assistants can do all of that as well and in some cases even better than the HC. But it's the connecting with players and building relationships part that is the difference when you make the move 1 chair up. I am not saying this cannot be learned and developed in time, and hopefully DC can get there. But show me 1 guy who seems like he has the relationship with DC like EC and Hass did with Dan. That wasn't bc his last name was Hurley. They had a very tangible, deep relationship. You could see it. It was obvious in how they interacted and spoke about each other. Those guys would have run through a wall for him. Its only been 2 years, but I just don't see that type of connection between DC and anyone on our roster. Even Jeff D who for all intents and purposes should be like his son. Don't see it with Fatts. I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely not there. I hope he can develop that skill, and I hope it happens quickly. It's an intangible skill though, and goes way beyond basketball.
7 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago The biggest difference between great assistant coaches and great head coaches is not the Xs and Os, not the talent development skills, nor the recruiting and scouting abilities. Great assistants can do all of that as well and in some cases even better than the HC. But it's the connecting with players and building relationships part that is the difference when you make the move 1 chair up. I am not saying this cannot be learned and developed in time, and hopefully DC can get there. But show me 1 guy who seems like he has the relationship with DC like EC and Hass did with Dan. That wasn't bc his last name was Hurley. They had a very tangible, deep relationship. You could see it. It was obvious in how they interacted and spoke about each other. Those guys would have run through a wall for him. Its only been 2 years, but I just don't see that type of connection between DC and anyone on our roster. Even Jeff D who for all intents and purposes should be like his son. Don't see it with Fatts. I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely not there. I hope he can develop that skill, and I hope it happens quickly. It's an intangible skill though, and goes way beyond basketball.
BAR, agree...and to back this up...did this team look like a happy bunch even when we were on the winning streak?

Looked like they didn't want to be there a lot of the time.

Especially at the end of the season. Attitude was crap. Pulling for each other? Didn't see it very often.

Ironically Toppin seemed to have the most energy of the bunch....maybe he saw what was happening and decided he didn't want to be on a team where most of the players didn't seem to like each other.

And Martin never looked happy. Isn't the point to have fun while they are doing this?

This was just the opposite of Hurley's teams.

This might be the reason for all of this.

If so, it's on the coaching staff. Cox agree might have been a great AC, but great HC's are leaders, and maybe this isn't working out for him.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Again - to be clear "the administration" is not Thorr or the athletic department.

What is given to athletics, outside of specifically set-aside donations, is made at the University President and RIBGHE level.

That state provides diddly, yet still retains complete budgetary control over how those dollars are spent. That's how you have former senators in random executive roles at URI. That's how you get the mess like the Scholar Athlete Hall of Fame (conveniently forgotten about).

With the current way things go, the only way this program will get any better is if big money donors step up and ear mark their dollars for things.

Baseball got a new field that it desperately needed because a big donor stepped up. Crew got a new boathouse because a big donor stepped up. Tennis got new courts because a big donor stepped up. Football got turf and lights because a big donor stepped up. The Ryan Center was built because a big donor stepped up.

The names on the halls at most of the buildings on the URI campus are named after the big donor who stepped up and built them.

This state, it's approach to higher education, and it's handling of it's budgets SSSSSUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKSSSS. SUCKS.

There is no boogie-man conspiracy here. The athletic department controls absolutely zero dollars it brings in unless it comes from a donor.

Until one of our billionaries or multi-multi millionaries decides to be a part of building a winning program instead of treating it as some type of investment where they need to see winning before they spend money, we will continue to wallow in mediocrity - peak for a bit - invest too late, and then start this cycle all over again.

Unless someone with money radically changes their tune and "investment strategy" or until one of us on this board wins powerball - nothing will ever change no matter who sits in the head coaches chair.

Ask the donors who came up with the money to offer Hurley a year too late why they won't invest in the program now but they would've 2 years ago. The fact that the question even needs to be asked is why we will never build a truly competitive program.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago The biggest difference between great assistant coaches and great head coaches is not the Xs and Os, not the talent development skills, nor the recruiting and scouting abilities. Great assistants can do all of that as well and in some cases even better than the HC. But it's the connecting with players and building relationships part that is the difference when you make the move 1 chair up. I am not saying this cannot be learned and developed in time, and hopefully DC can get there. But show me 1 guy who seems like he has the relationship with DC like EC and Hass did with Dan. That wasn't bc his last name was Hurley. They had a very tangible, deep relationship. You could see it. It was obvious in how they interacted and spoke about each other. Those guys would have run through a wall for him. Its only been 2 years, but I just don't see that type of connection between DC and anyone on our roster. Even Jeff D who for all intents and purposes should be like his son. Don't see it with Fatts. I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely not there. I hope he can develop that skill, and I hope it happens quickly. It's an intangible skill though, and goes way beyond basketball.
You are correct. We can believe this is part of the reason or just shrug our shoulders and say what can do about the kids these days who think they are too good to be at URI or feel they deserve more playing time. These are the guys he brought into our program.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

That state provides diddly

Ask the donors who came up with the money to offer Hurley a year too late why they won't invest in the program now but they would've 2 years ago.
This

And

This
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I understand the practice facility has had a million dollar donation specifically for that.

They need 4 million more I think.

Unless other donors step up and contribute that, the practice facility will never be built.

Whatever extra revenue the program has gotten over the last few years has mostly gone to other athletic programs or the university as a whole.

In other words, don't hold your breath.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......I gotta ask, what the hell are we thinking of building/renovating the west gym into that costs 5 million?........is it time to consider dropping down into a league where our current resources are more competitive without the sugar daddy.......? Hope not....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......I gotta ask, what the hell are we thinking of building/renovating the west gym into that costs 5 million?........is it time to consider dropping down into a league where our current resources are more competitive without the sugar daddy.......? Hope not....
Unless you want to walk into an empty Ryan Center, No.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......I gotta ask, what the hell are we thinking of building/renovating the west gym into that costs 5 million?........is it time to consider dropping down into a league where our current resources are more competitive without the sugar daddy.......? Hope not....
I wrestle with this question often - and come to the same conclusion:

We didn't build the Ryan Center to compete in the Patriot League or NEC.

We built and invested...SO FOLLOW THROUGH.

We bought a sports car but have refused to build a garage or fill it with 93 octane.

The Ryan Center is a physical representation of what our expectations are. 7800 seats. Nationally televised games. Brand-name teams. NCAA banners.

We need to make good on that investment by continuing to invest.

The mere existence of the Ryan Center juxtaposed by the lack of continued investment in the betterment of this program is an oxymoron.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I wrestle with this question often - and come to the same conclusion:

We didn't build the Ryan Center to compete in the Patriot League or NEC.

We built and invested...SO FOLLOW THROUGH.

We bought a sports car but have refused to build a garage or fill it with 93 octane.

The Ryan Center is a physical representation of what our expectations are. 7800 seats. Nationally televised games. Brand-name teams. NCAA banners.

We need to make good on that investment by continuing to invest.

The mere existence of the Ryan Center juxtaposed by the lack of continued investment in the betterment of this program is STUPID
Fixed it for you.

(Tho I have also been pretty puzzled re the $5m price tag for renovations to a existing gymnasium...)
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well we're not going to build a 40 million dollar practice facility like UConn...or even VCU....

You gotta pay if you want to play.....URI has NEVER figured that out.

You would have at least thought that they could have increased charters and raised the assistant coach budget more than 25K...what a joke.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Again - to be clear "the administration" is not Thorr or the athletic department.

What is given to athletics, outside of specifically set-aside donations, is made at the University President and RIBGHE level.

That state provides diddly, yet still retains complete budgetary control over how those dollars are spent. That's how you have former senators in random executive roles at URI. That's how you get the mess like the Scholar Athlete Hall of Fame (conveniently forgotten about).

With the current way things go, the only way this program will get any better is if big money donors step up and ear mark their dollars for things.

Baseball got a new field that it desperately needed because a big donor stepped up. Crew got a new boathouse because a big donor stepped up. Tennis got new courts because a big donor stepped up. Football got turf and lights because a big donor stepped up. The Ryan Center was built because a big donor stepped up.

The names on the halls at most of the buildings on the URI campus are named after the big donor who stepped up and built them.

This state, it's approach to higher education, and it's handling of it's budgets SSSSSUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKSSSS. SUCKS.

There is no boogie-man conspiracy here. The athletic department controls absolutely zero dollars it brings in unless it comes from a donor.

Until one of our billionaries or multi-multi millionaries decides to be a part of building a winning program instead of treating it as some type of investment where they need to see winning before they spend money, we will continue to wallow in mediocrity - peak for a bit - invest too late, and then start this cycle all over again.

Unless someone with money radically changes their tune and "investment strategy" or until one of us on this board wins powerball - nothing will ever change no matter who sits in the head coaches chair.

Ask the donors who came up with the money to offer Hurley a year too late why they won't invest in the program now but they would've 2 years ago. The fact that the question even needs to be asked is why we will never build a truly competitive program.
This is all true and you make some great points. But for me, I do still think that some responsibility lies with the AD (and his development staff) and the head coach to convince/motivate/inspire the donors to step up and invest like we need to. It's not an easy thing to do, and I'm sure nobody enjoys having to do it, but it's undoubtedly a part of the job of being a D1 AD or head coach.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Dare I suggest that some other expensive program is draining the Athletic Program dry with little ROI and a huge Title IX match that far exceeds this program's donations. But as a former Dean said, "show me a weak program and I will show you a program with a strong external constituency".

Very few donors give money to be used exclusively for men's basketball.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

My wife legitimately thinks I'm kidding when I say I'm donating a sizable amount to URI MBB if we ever hit the lotto. For the record, I am not kidding. I'll be building a practice facility but will not want my name on it, still pondering possible names but the "Bob Carothers Blows Gymnasium" has always sound good to me...
8 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I love you Blue Man, but I think BlackDog has it exactly right and that narrative is a master class in excuse making. The head coach needs to be a cult of personality in this environment. When Dan was in the chair this shit was not an issue.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Dare I suggest that some other expensive program is draining the Athletic Program dry with little ROI and a huge Title IX match that far exceeds this program's donations. But as a former Dean said, "show me a weak program and I will show you a program with a strong external constituency".

Very few donors give money to be used exclusively for men's basketball.
We now target our donations to “The Basketball Excellence Fund” but whether or not they are using it exclusively for basketball, we will never really know.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago My memory isn’t what is used to be but do I recall correctly the strong argument made in support of Cox vs dancing with a devil was keeping the group together?

Perhaps the completely new group next season will be the ticket?

My strong opinion is everything regarding a D1 program is on the coach 100%.
That was the icing on the cake. The primary reason is because Cox is credited as the man behind the curtain that really helped Hurley turn URI around. Hurley himself acknowledged this.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Relationship building. Sounds like a veiled shot at Cox. Likely true.

On another note, Cincinnati just announced they are dropping soccer, due to loss of revenue concerning the virus.

This could be just the tip of the iceberg. Even bigger schools will be affected...smaller schools will really be hurt.

Guarantee that it will cause problems here. Will we follow suit and ax programs?

We can forget about any program improvements for a while....we are also going to lose a lot of revenue, and not just NCAA tourney money that was due to be paid out.

What if there's no ticket revenue to pay Cox?
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We only have a certain number of dollars. Why are we still pissing away a huge chunk of them on football?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago
With 4 players returning(less Fatts) who had no impact, it couldn't get any worse.
0 x