Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by RamStock »

Cmon guys! By no means is everything Cox’s fault, but is it not fair to say that some of it definitely is? Where are the relationships, the trust and the family that is built? Why do we have to trash every guy that leaves and say they weren’t that good anyway and the reason they left was someone got in their ear or they are delusional. We than talk about how great the class is that is coming in. How much do you want to bet when we fill the next roster spot which every team has to do we spin it with how great a pickup it was and they are probably better than Martin or Toppin anyway. Is the freshman class that great? None of these freshman are in the top 250. I like Leggett and Berry, but you can’t count on them making a huge impact for a couple years. The Mitchell twins haven’t accomplished anything yet and may not. Wait until something doesn’t go the Twins way. Let’s be fair if we are going to downplay what Martin, Long and Toppin have accomplished. This shouldn’t be happening with the revolving door which by no means is closed for the rest of this year. We have 2 open spots remaining and I expect it to reach 3 or 4 with Fatts and Harris next. You can say why would they leave or that won’t happen-okay. It has happened the last two years with almost every player. Some feel they are too good to be here, some are not good enough, some miss their family and on and on. I hate the new college basketball as much as everyone on the board and love the sport more than football, baseball, hockey or anything else, but as of now have no interest in the upcoming season and really don’t care what happens the rest of the offseason. If Fatts wants to leave which I have said he will than go. If Harris wants to leave than go. I don’t know the answer, but know there is a problem at URI
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
This is exactly what I was driving at yesterday when I said some of these guys transferring out are being naive. Tyrese Martin was getting 35 min/game last season. Does he really think he's getting those same minutes at UCONN? Not a chance. Toppin was getting almost 20 min/game as a freshman, and that would have likely increased to 30+ min/game next season due to Martin's exit. Does he really think he's getting 30 min/game at whatever P5 school he signs with? Not happening.

Maybe I'm the one being naive, but I firmly believe that the more time you spend on the court and the more you produce, the better chance you have of getting noticed versus playing limited minutes, albeit with the name of a P5 school on the front of your jersey. Clearly most of today's players disagree with that notion.
12 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Growing pains of a first time head coach.

You might say, hey, there is hardly anyone left from his first two recruiting classes. However, the 3rd recruiting class has the potential to be way better than the first two, and because they are all coming in as a group, the potential is there to form a more solid team core, instead of having all sorts of mismatched pieces from different years, different head coaches, forming their own seniority pecking order, freshman hazing, etc, etc, etc

This could actually be the thing that solidifies this program for the next four years, IF everything breaks the right way. The fun is in waiting and seeing.

If he couldn't replace all of those guys leaving with same (or better in many cases) talent, I would say, yeah, scream your heads off, let it fly. But, this class coming in could be the best in school history.
7 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Growing pains of a first time head coach.

You might say, hey, there is hardly anyone left from his first two recruiting classes. However, the 3rd recruiting class has the potential to be way better than the first two, and because they are all coming in as a group, the potential is there to form a more solid team core, instead of having all sorts of mismatched pieces from different years, different head coaches, forming their own seniority pecking order, freshman hazing, etc, etc, etc

This could actually be the thing that solidifies this program for the next four years, IF everything breaks the right way. The fun is in waiting and seeing.

If he couldn't replace all of those guys leaving with same (or better in many cases) talent, I would say, yeah, scream your heads off, let it fly. But, this class coming in could be the best in school history.
Why do you say this is the best recruiting class in history? Have you ever watched any of them play? None of these guys were rated highly at all. Did we beat out some powerhouse schools to get these guys? We all know the ratings are not the end all, but to say something like this is just blind faith. Leggett and Berry could turnout to be very good players, but most likely will leave if they do.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

"has the potential to be"

And if players are disgruntled and want to leave, let them go.

Year one and year two: if you have players like these (Martin, Long, Toppin) who say "this isn't what I signed up for" then so be it. Fair play. None of us really knew what we were signing up for either.

People don't like the "new normal". Either they are in massive denial or they just don't like change in general. Understood.

But, if you have a mass exodus of 4 players like we had this year, every year, then probably indicative of a problem.

If you have a recruiting class going forward that includes 4 high school players and 1 or 2 declare after the following season that they want to leave, THAT is the "new normal". I honestly don't think that would be cause for a panic. That is probably going to happen across P5 as well, and we will benefit from that on the receiving end, as they unload their unwanted or "poor fit" players.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, UNC, Gonzaga - 43
Rest of P5 + BE - 74
Prep/International - 22
Non-P5 or BE or Gonzaga - 11

These are first round draft picks in the last 5 drafts.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, UNC, Gonzaga - 43
Rest of P5 + BE - 74
Prep/International - 22

The question behind those numbers, RJ, should probably be how many of those 43+74 Power 5 (6, whatever) draft picks "transferred up?" Those schools definitely get the lion's share of the top flight talent, no argument there. But I would say that they get those players from the beginning of their career. The question is about the "exposure" and whether or not that matters as much.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I love you, man. I do. Thank you for being who you are.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

2 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I know it's only been a day, but with the way things have been going with the transfer portal, I'm surprised we haven't heard of any offers for Jacob as of yet.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No question we have roll the dice next year with Coach Cox. On paper if transfers are eligible immediately this could be a monster group.

I believe Cox will have to dumb down his half court offense. As with the early Hurley years, the emphasis will need to be on defensive intensity. John Wooden for an example had player/ roster continuity from year to year so running a complex 1/2 court high post offense was possible. We won’t know for sure what kind of plan the coach has for our team until we see it on the floor. (Or perhaps “when” due to covid19)

It’s a tall task and he’ll be on a short leash but I’m not ready to bet against Cox. No doubt it will be fascinating and fun to watch. I still disagree with most here and continue to insist that a cupcake schedule next year is the way to go due to the huge roster flip. 21/22 bring on the iron, play anybody anywhere.

Interesting times we’re in. A Harris departure will set the forums ablaze so hoping that doesn’t happen.

Go Rhody.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, UNC, Gonzaga - 43
Rest of P5 + BE - 74
Prep/International - 22

The question behind those numbers, RJ, should probably be how many of those 43+74 Power 5 (6, whatever) draft picks "transferred up?" Those schools definitely get the lion's share of the top flight talent, no argument there. But I would say that they get those players from the beginning of their career. The question is about the "exposure" and whether or not that matters as much.
Interesting point ... I'm just going to give you the Rest of P5 players since most of the others are all one and dones. Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Here's the data:

2015:
D'Angelo Russell - #2 Ohio St. Freshman
Frank Kaminsky - #10 Wisconsin Senior *4 year player
Myles Turner - #11 Texas Freshman
Terry Rozier - #16 Louisville Sophomore *2 year player
Sam Dekker - #18 Wisconsin Junior *3 year player
Jerian Grant - #19 Notre Dame Senior *4 year player
Delon Wright - #20 Utah Senior *Community College transfer after 2 years
Justin Anderson - #21 Virginia Junior *3 year player
Bobby Portis - #22 Arkansas Sophomore *2 year player
Jarell Martin - #25 LSU Sophomore *2 year player
Chris McCullough - #29 Syracuse Freshman
Kevon Looney - #30 UCLA Freshman

2016:
Ben Simmons - #1 LSU Freshman
Jaylen Brown - #3 California Freshman
Kris Dunn - #5 Providence Junior *3 year player
Buddy Hield - #6 Oklahoma Senior *4 year player
Marquese Chriss - #8 Washington Freshman
Jakob Poltl - #9 Utah Sophomore *2 year player
Taurean Prince - #12 Baylor Senior *4 year player
Denzel Valentine - #14 Michigan St. Senior *4 year player
Wade Baldwin - #17 Vanderbilt Sophomore *2 year player
Henry Ellenson - #18 Marquette Freshman
Malik Beasley - #19 Florida St Freshman
Caris LaVert - #20 Michigan Senior *4 year player
Malachi Richardson - #22 Syracuse Freshman
DeJounte Murray - #29 Washington Freshman
Damian Jones - #30 Vanderbilt Junior *3 year player

2017:
Markelle Fultz - #1 Washington Freshman
Lonzo Ball - #2 UCLA Freshman
Jonathan Issac - #6 Florida St Freshman
Dennis Smith Jr - #9 NC St Freshman
Donovan Mitchell - #13 Louisville Sophomore *2 year player
Justin Patton - #16 Creighton Freshman
DJ Wilson - #17 Michigan Junior *3 year player
TJ Leaf - #18 UCLA Freshman
John Collins - #19 Wake Forest Sophomore *2 year player
Jarrett Allen - #22 Texas Freshman
OG Anunoby - #23 Indiana Sophomore *2 year player
Tyler Lydon - #24 Syracuse Sophomore *2 year player
Caleb Swanigan - #26 Purdue Sophomore *2 year player
Kyle Kuzma - #27 Utah Junior *3 year player
Derrick White - #29 Colorado Senior *D2 Transfer After Junior Season
Josh Hart - #30 Villanova Senior *4 year player

2018:
Jaren Jackson Jr - #4 Michigan St Freshman
Trae Young - #5 Oklahoma Freshman
Mo Bamba - #6 Texas Freshman
Collin Sexton - #8 Alabama Freshman
Mikal Bridges - #10 Villanova Junior *3 year player
Miles Bridges - #12 Michigan St Sophomore *2 year player
Jerome Robinson - #13 Boston College Junior *3 year player
Michael Porter Jr - #14 Missouri Freshman
Troy Brown Jr - #15 Oregon Freshman
Zhaire Smith - #16 Texas Tech Freshman
Donte DiVincenzo - #17 Villanova Sophomore *2 year player
Lonnie Walker - #18 Miami Freshman
Kevin Huerter - #19 Maryland Sophomore *2 year player
Josh Okogie - #20 Georgia Tech Sophomore *2 year player
Aaron Holiday - #23 UCLA Junior *3 year player
Moritz Wagner - #25 Michigan Junior *3 year player
Robert Williams - #27 Sophomore *2 year player
Omari Spellman - #30 Villanova Freshman

2019:
De'Andre Hunter - #4 Virginia Sophomore *2 year player
Darius Garland - #5 Vanderbilt Freshman
Jarrett Culver - #6 Texas Tech Sophomore *2 year player
Jaxson Hayes - #8 Texas Freshman
Romeo Langford - #14 Indiana Freshman
Chuma Okeke - #16 Auburn Sophomore *2 year player
Nickeil Alexander-Walker - #17 Virginia Tech Sophomore *2 year player
Matisse Thybulle - #20 Washington Senior *4 year player
Grant Williams - #23 Tennessee Junior *3 year player
Ty Jerome - #24 Virginia Junior *3 year player
Mfiondu Kabengele - #27 Florida St Sophomore *2 year player
Jordan Poole - #28 Michigan Sophomore *2 year player
Kevin Porter Jr - #30 USC Freshman
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

<r><QUOTE author="NYGFan_Section208" post_id="449607" time="1586795212" user_id="1535"><s>
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago</s>
I guess kids wanna pursue their options and you can't blame them. This hurts, mostly because I made a sign and everything.<br/>
<br/>
It's interesting that everyone wants to "make it clear it has nothing to do with anyone on the coaching staff." If you have a really good coaching staff, wouldn't players want to stay "because there's a really good coaching staff"? Has anyone said that yet?
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Here's a relative: "When someone says 'it's not about the money,' it's about the money."</r>
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Question: Do you think any of this would be different (better or worse) had we been able to finish the season?

I don't think there was any way we'd beat Dayton, but if we got to the A-10 finals, maybe had an emotional win over Richmond and won a few NIT games...do you think it would've made a difference?

And before I get attacked, I know it's all about the NCAAT, but I guess what I asking is: Do any of these kids care about their teammates and the future of this program?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We just need everything to break the right way? Well that sounds easy enough. Sign me up! :lol:
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but the way the new rule will work is a one time penalty free
transfer. So once the first transfer is made, if the player wants to leave again then
they have to sit a year and are up against the 4 years of eligibility in 5 years rule.
Once a NLI/ Financial aide agreement is signed the incoming transfer would most probably
have to stay or leave and declare for the draft or head to international ball.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

RJ thanks for doing the legwork on digging into those draft picks. Seems to confirm what many of us think - kinda rare for players to transfer up and parlay that "greater exposure" into jumping onto NBA radars.

It also highlights how little the NBA thinks of "experience" at the college level. Nearly all lottery picks are made based on potential that hasn't been realized yet - it is generally counted as a negative the longer a player has spent in college
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago RJ thanks for doing the legwork on digging into those draft picks. Seems to confirm what many of us think - kinda rare for players to transfer up and parlay that "greater exposure" into jumping onto NBA radars.

It also highlights how little the NBA thinks of "experience" at the college level. Nearly all lottery picks are made based on potential that hasn't been realized yet - it is generally counted as a negative the longer a player has spent in college
At least when Hollinger and others looked at it back in the day, yeah, it was a slight negative overall, to go college instead of NBA as soon as possible. People tended to focus on the "bad" outcomes, like Kwame Brown, but usually the sooner you can get in the NBA, the better. It obviously doesn't hold for every player though - some need time in college to "mature" or develop proper work ethics - and obviously, it ultimately doesn't matter if you end up on like, the Donald Sterling early 2000s Clippers shitshow kind of team.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

6 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago We just need everything to break the right way? Well that sounds easy enough. Sign me up! :lol:
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

From reading comments from fans and current /past players, it seems like it’s a simple case of peer pressure and a bad influence from family or friends to these kids that don’t think their current school is good enough. When in reality, it is.
7 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago From reading comments from fans and current /past players, it seems like it’s a simple case of peer pressure and a bad influence from family or friends to these kids that don’t think their current school is good enough. When in reality, it is.
Bingo
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is just the perfect storm of COVID-19 having kids at home with too much time on their hands and too many people, with too many opinions in their ear...combined with the looming change in the transfer rule. I'm not sure it will be this bad every year. But it certainly sucks.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We keep going back to this.

Yes, agree it's a sign of the times, but why are others programs keeping their players and a few are having a mass exodus?

Seems like half the board thinks its Cox, or the staff, or the administration....and the other half thinks its the players themselves.

In Wichita State's case, some of the players came out and said it was the staff.

I'm on the fence imo….someone or something's to blame, that's for sure.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Honestly, I wonder if Toppin's stock went up at all after one year here. They wanted to bully him into going to UMass, he ended up at URI. Dayton was probably peripherally interested, but perhaps didn't have an opening at the time.

Should be interesting to see where he goes next.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago We keep going back to this.

Yes, agree it's a sign of the times, but why are others programs keeping their players and a few are having a mass exodus?

Seems like half the board thinks its Cox, or the staff, or the administration....and the other half thinks its the players themselves.

In Wichita State's case, some of the players came out and said it was the staff.

There’s a few posters who would never blame Cox for anything. I don’t think we know what the problem is, but there’s definitely a problem. We can stick our heads in the sand and point to the other 4-5 schools in all of D1, or we can admit there’s a problem and hope Cox can solve it. If he can’t, we need to hope the administration will make an honest assessment after next season.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

"after next season"

like that is going to happen

Seriously, after 30 years of this B.S. I've learned that nothing ever changes around here, including the delusions.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago "after next season"

like that is going to happen

Seriously, after 30 years of this B.S. I've learned that nothing ever changes around here, including the delusions.
This is the exact same take I’ve heard the past 4 years being a Giants season ticket holder. I usually find that the powers that be want to win just like the fans do and will generally make the right call if things are trending in the wrong direction.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I don't care about the NY Giants, NFL Professional Football Team and what they are willing to do for their fans.

You know what it takes to remove a coach at THE URI Men's Basketball program? hmm?

And this is time and tested, proven, since at least the late 70's, as documented by hoops at the top here.

a. 2 Really God Awful Seasons strung back to back. To the point where the Administration cannot hide any longer.

The meter currently reads "0", so how is that going to happen after next season? It's not.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago

There’s a few posters who would never blame Cox for anything. I don’t think we know what the problem is, but there’s definitely a problem. We can stick our heads in the sand and point to the other 4-5 schools in all of D1, or we can admit there’s a problem and hope Cox can solve it. If he can’t, we need to hope the administration will make an honest assessment after next season.
This is a good take. I looked at the end of year roster and if Fatts doesn't come back we are returning two players who played and averaged 10.2 ppg COMBINED and two players who didn't play. 4 guys. That's it. I believe we do have a problem.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I doubt it is the case that Cox and his staff are running the program in such a way that the driving motivation for kids to leave is to get away from the staff and the program.

That doesn’t absolve Cox totally, though. It’s not like there isn’t a lot of room between “running kids off by being a miserable dickhead or incompetent boob” and “having kids want to play for you so bad that they’re willing to sacrifice a little of their own interests to make it work.” David Cox will not fall into the former category; the issue is whether he can be in the latter category. If not, we will likely continue to bleed out roster spots every year as the new landscape of college basketball becomes the new normal.

You’re going to need a coach and a program that kids actively choose to be a part of over other options four years in a row if you want to have the kind of continuity that used to make college basketball worth following. UConn has that kind of coach. PC seems to have it, too (although I admit I don’t really get that one it’s hard to argue the result). Other teams in our league don’t seem to be bleeding out. So the excuses aren’t really satisfying to me. They need to figure it out.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m surprised he hasn’t named the schools who have reached out to him and let Goodman or Rothstein tweet about it.
0 x
Go Rhody
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I'm very curious to see where he ends up. If he goes to a P5 like Martin did, then we can assume he's been convinced by his "supporters" that playing for a big name program is the only way to go. If he lands at a lower level D1 program, then I'll start believing the chatter that Cox is to blame for the defections.

At this point I just think guys like Martin and Toppin are being advised that the only way to improve their long term prospects is to play for a big time P5 school. Maybe I'm being naive, but I really don't think Cox is the reason they're leaving. And for Toppin in particular, I think he's seizing the moment to capitalize on his last name. And maybe that's a good idea, but he needs to remember that he's leaving a situation where he had the opportunity to shine next season and start putting the spotlight on himself. I don't see him getting that opportunity as a bench player at a P5. We all know the kid has upside, but at this point he really hasn't proven anything. And I don't think he'll ever be nearly as good as his brother. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jacob wrote this on his IG. Sounds like a kid who thinks he knows it all yet doesn't have a clue....."The #1 reason people fail in life is because they listen to their friends, family and colleagues. Stop asking advice from people who are not where you wanna be."
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Jacob wrote this on his IG. Sounds like a kid who thinks he knows it all yet doesn't have a clue....."The #1 reason people fail in life is because they listen to their friends, family and colleagues. Stop asking advice from people who are not where you wanna be."
Maybe he returns?????
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Jacob wrote this on his IG. Sounds like a kid who thinks he knows it all yet doesn't have a clue....."The #1 reason people fail in life is because they listen to their friends, family and colleagues. Stop asking advice from people who are not where you wanna be."
Maybe he returns?????
The way I interpreted this was that his friends, family etc. were advising him to stay at URI. I could be wrong, but that's the way I took it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Maybe he returns?????
The way I interpreted this was that his friends, family etc. were advising him to stay at URI. I could be wrong, but that's the way I took it.
I took it the opposite Billyboy. We shall see.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

It would take a pretty mature kid to step back from the portal. Let's hope.

If he does stay here and blows up, he'd be in a much better position to transfer, but we'd have one more year to establish a relationship.
Right now, that's a deal we'd probably take
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Maybe he returns?????

That would be extra insane since he like to talk about how much he liked it here.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

It is like hoping to get back together with a girl that dumped you. You know that she doesn’t want to be with you despite any reasons that might be given to her to remain together. This marriage is ending in a divorce and she will be with a new partner soon.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I read that as a young man who just told his friends, family and colleagues (how does a 19-year-old have those?) to go pound sand.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Players are advised to heap praise on programs they have decided to leave. No coach wants to commit to a player who has burned bridges when leaving their last gig. You are being naive if you believe these parting pleasantries.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

His brother is going pro. If he blows up anywhere he will go pro too and probably will go pro regardless.

The #1 transfer Ended up returning to bowling green instead of transferring. The statistics are really against transfers. If anyone has seen the stat Borzello posted on Twitter it’s like 60 lower level kids transferred into the ACC averaging double figures over the past 3 years And less than 20 averaged double figures in the ACC. AND THESE GUYS AVG DOUBLE FIGURES BEFORE THE TRANSFER!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago I read that as a young man who just told his friends, family and colleagues (how does a 19-year-old have those?) to go pound sand.
Would it change your mind if you thought perhaps that his brothers agent is now whispering in his ear??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cox said he viewed Toppin as the replacement for Martin, who averaged 12.8 points and was a likely all-Atlantic 10 candidate next season.
Asked what he can do to stop the exodus of key pieces of his program, Cox had a quick answer.

“The only way to curb that is to win even more,” he said, “and to build the resources that we need. We have won at a very competitive level in my two years as head coach but we need to continue to invest in the program.”

Not sure what this answer means. We need to win more? Just seems like a “quick answer” but not really sure it answer the main question.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... fer-portal
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago I read that as a young man who just told his friends, family and colleagues (how does a 19-year-old have those?) to go pound sand.
Would it change your mind if you thought perhaps that his brothers agent is now whispering in his ear??
Then the agent should be fired - the brother made it from Dayton. Jacob needs to work on his game to get to closer to Obi. He needs to develop his body. If he was at Rhody next year I think he has a shot at being all conference level player, no shot in the P5 next year. No way his game expands that much.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
100% what I think is happening in this situation
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Cox said he viewed Toppin as the replacement for Martin, who averaged 12.8 points and was a likely all-Atlantic 10 candidate next season.
Asked what he can do to stop the exodus of key pieces of his program, Cox had a quick answer.

“The only way to curb that is to win even more,” he said, “and to build the resources that we need. We have won at a very competitive level in my two years as head coach but we need to continue to invest in the program.”

Not sure what this answer means. We need to win more? Just seems like a “quick answer” but not really sure it answer the main question.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... fer-portal
I think Cox could be frustrated with the administration when it comes to program enhancements, as some of us have discussed, especially Blue Man.

Promises have not been kept. Money that should have gone into the program, has gone elsewhere. Why wouldn't he be pissed?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I thought Obi was on board with Jacob being at URI...wanting him to stay here.

Is he telling his brother to pound sand?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Last time I checked his brother is his family and is exactly where Jacobs wants to be..
0 x
Go Rhody