Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Cox has 3 years left on his deal.

No way does URI let him twist in the wind as a lame duck coach.

Either they let him go with at least 1 year left, or they extend him then.

As a lame duck, that would kill recruiting.

Of course, with things as they are, who knows if any recruit will stay more than a year anyway.

To say things are fucked up is a major understatement.
What does recruiting matter anymore in these times anyway?
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure why anybody is bringing up loyalty to Cox or loyalty to URI. People don’t have loyalty to anybody but themselves these days. Can’t really blame them for it. At the end of the day, college basketball is gone from the team sport, to a way to get paid/recognized. It’s changed a lot over the past several years, mainly due to the money involved. Kids want the biggest stage possible. Going to be tough for Mid-majors.
Again, why do you insist on making sense?

Stop!
Pretty much every job I’ve ever had has been “at will employment” meaning either party can terminate the agreement at any time. These players aren’t signed to URI to play X amount of years. Coaches aren’t contractually obligated to offer X player, X amount of minutes or a spot in the starting 5. I know it stinks to lose players, especially Toppin, but absolutely NOTHING in life is guaranteed. And I hope all of you whining realize that, especially durning a global crisis. There aren’t any collegiate athlete contracts so no no player is held to give a team any amount of time.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago You think this happens with all these people leaving if Hurley was still at Rhode Island?

It’s a simple answer: No.

They can say whatever they want on the way out. The fact is is the staff isn’t doing enough to keep these players happy. I don’t know what the answer is but Cox sure as heck better figure it out pretty quickly. Or he’ll be out of a job sooner than later.
Hurley has been losing players too

Hey, i guess from your take you'll say Gregg Marshall is doing a shitty job at Wichita State...c'mon man this is going to be the new normal and its going to suck for CBB
We lose our entire roster is the new normal now? No thanks. I'll pass on that shit. I can go to Boon Street to see a pickup game if I want to.
Hopefully Parks & Rec puts the baskets up again soon 😂
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He had better not go to Dayton.

To go to another A10 team would really be a kick in the teeth.

If he's serious when he says he wants to go to a higher level.....

That would be imo a serious indictment of the URI program.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago He had better not go to Dayton.

To go to another A10 team would really be a kick in the teeth.

If he's serious when he says he wants to go to a higher level.....

That would be imo a serious indictment of the URI program.
Dayton is a higher level program than us though.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Cox has 3 years left on his deal.

No way does URI let him twist in the wind as a lame duck coach.

Either they let him go with at least 1 year left, or they extend him then.

As a lame duck, that would kill recruiting.

Of course, with things as they are, who knows if any recruit will stay more than a year anyway.

To say things are fucked up is a major understatement.
What does recruiting matter anymore in these times anyway?
Let’s see how he does in the next 2 years . If we drastically underachieve in the next 2 years we may look to make a move heading into his last year here

Cox seems to be a decent recruiter so we may not be bad depending on what the next 2 schollies look like

The jury is still out
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

The 3rd and final year (of those left), Cox will make the NCAA tourney, minimum. Maybe before then, maybe even this year if Fatts returns and acts like a man possessed.

Then, he'll get an offer to coach at Georgetown or some place like that and he'll be gone. Only the transfers will stick around, because they have no choice, and all the high school recruits will leave town.

And then all of you Cox haters out there will be happy, and we'll need a complete rebuild and it will take a long time with the new rules in place.
3 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I mentioned after the Long and Martin transfers that maybe we need to go full Musselman from now on. I was mostly joking then, but I’m a little more serious about it now. Maybe go the foreign country route like Randy Bennett and St Mary’s does with New Zealanders. We probably shouldn’t try this with Greece, though. 😁😁
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The 3rd and final year (of those left), Cox will make the NCAA tourney, minimum. Maybe before then, maybe even this year if Fatts returns and acts like a man possessed.

Then, he'll get an offer to coach at Georgetown or some place like that and he'll be gone. Only the transfers will stick around, because they have no choice, and all the high school recruits will leave town.

And then all of you Cox haters out there will be happy, and we'll need a complete rebuild and it will take a long time with the new rules in place.
Unless....we get Rick, then the curve will shift upward like the unemployment chart did last month....
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

pfffffffffffft keep dreaming. The guy will be 83 years old before you get anyone around here to take that seriously.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rod once thought as you do. When they went to hire Baron, and when they went to hire Hurley. There were moves behind the scenes for "godfathers" to talk to Rick Pitino at Capriccio's or the Old Canteen on da Hill.

It didn't happen the first time. It didn't happen the second time. And it's not going to happen 25 years later either. It's a pipe dream.
Last edited by rhodyfan3000 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Wow this is quite the shocker, at least to me. I agree we should focus our future recruiting efforts on transfers. I also think something wasn't/isn't quite right with the program. Maybe it's fixed now. Not blaming the coach, yet. We need to see what next year brings.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago This era of CBB blows!!!!!

Cox needs to speak up and take fucking responsibility for what has transpired as of late. Good coaches and good programs dont lose this many guys!!

I dont care who we have coming in now. Wood is our highest rated recruit and you guys hate him. Berry and leggett arent rated that high. The Mitchell twins barely played last year. Martin i dont know that much about. This is pure failure on cox.

AGREED
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The 3rd and final year (of those left), Cox will make the NCAA tourney, minimum. Maybe before then, maybe even this year if Fatts returns and acts like a man possessed.

You are right we would be happy because In your scenario URI makes the tournament 1-2 times in the next three years. Sign me up. Other option is he doesn’t leave and has the same career path as Baron of mediocrity. Sign me up for the tourney appearances and he can go off to Georgetown. Highly doubt we get to that point, but in David Cox head he knows it isn’t worth going through this every year. URI is now not only a stepping stone for coaches, but also players
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ummmm.....a complete rebuild is what it's beginning to look like now.

But if you can get the "right" transfers you can turn around a program quickly.

Dayton didn't go 29-2 just because of Toppin. They had 2 transfers that had sat out the year before, that really helped.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Ummmm.....a complete rebuild is what it's beginning to look like now.

But if you can get the "right" transfers you can turn around a program quickly.

Dayton didn't go 29-2 just because of Toppin. They had 2 transfers that had sat out the year before, that really helped.
There almost definitely will not be a summer session this year. Most of these players will meet for the first time in September, if then. Good luck getting a team with 8 or 9 new players ready to start playing games in 2 months.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Toppin could wind up at Richmond since they are known to like “soft” players.....

0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago You think this happens with all these people leaving if Hurley was still at Rhode Island?

It’s a simple answer: No.

They can say whatever they want on the way out. The fact is is the staff isn’t doing enough to keep these players happy. I don’t know what the answer is but Cox sure as heck better figure it out pretty quickly. Or he’ll be out of a job sooner than later.
Cox will not be 'out of here' until the day after his contract expires....
Agree. It doesn’t matter what he does the next three years. It would take back to back Jerry D years to be removed early. URI isn’t paying two coaches at once ever again.
What makes you say that? They did with Baron, they did with Jerry D. It's funny to see these takes based on nothing.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I went from mad at Cox to disgusted with what college basketball is becoming to: screw these players . They don’t want to be here, fine. I’m rooting for whoever is in Keaney blue and I expect all of you to join me!
10 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I went from mad at Cox to disgusted with what college basketball is becoming to: screw these players . They don’t want to be here, fine. I’m rooting for whoever is in Keaney blue and I expect all of you to join me!
I think I'm a combo of mad at Cox and screw these guys leaving. I'm hoping that it was just a bad combination of personalities and that he'll turn things around with a team that wants to play here. If not, then it's clear we have a coaching problem.

I think we'll have a good idea of which it is after next season and I hope we're willing to make a rational evaluation of where this program is headed then.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago I went from mad at Cox to disgusted with what college basketball is becoming to: screw these players . They don’t want to be here, fine. I’m rooting for whoever is in Keaney blue and I expect all of you to join me!
Perfect. See you there.
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Cox will not be 'out of here' until the day after his contract expires....
Agree. It doesn’t matter what he does the next three years. It would take back to back Jerry D years to be removed early. URI isn’t paying two coaches at once ever again.
What makes you say that? They did with Baron, they did with Jerry D. It's funny to see these takes based on nothing.
Baron was here for a 11 years. He wasn’t going to make it for the final 2 years of his contract without the big donors and URI fan base going nuts with all his choke jobs and his process talk. People were incensed his final year. Jerry D was one of the biggest embarrassments in any level of coaching and easily the worst head coach ever at URI. The program has showed that they want to play on a low level that has nothing to do with Cox including the practice facility, charter flights and many other cost saving expenses.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll be rooting right along as well. I've chosen my lot in life as a Rhody fan, there ain't no turning back now.
6 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is not on the team? When did this happen?
He has entered the draft. He has the option to come back, but as of this second, he is not on the team. Why are you starting an argument just to start one?
He’s maintained eligibility which means his still on the roster until he isn’t.

Exactly!!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Just another in a quick succession of gut punches. I continue to keep visiting the board these days to see what the next shoe to drop will be.

I am in the same camp as many others. I do not like where college basketball is headed, especially with the implications for a program such as URI. I am fast losing my allegiance to the game.

I think the further consolidation of nearly everything in the game (NCAA bids, home games, resources, facilities, tv games, etc...) by the top leagues is really starting to show effects at schools in conferences such as the A-10. URI and the entire A-10 is quickly getting squeezed out. Rhody won 21 games in the regular season this past year. It won ten straight games at one point and had no loss to a team that did not have a winning record. It still however would not have been enough to make the tournament. I think the kids see that. Even though Martin and Toppin saw a good deal of minutes for their class year, playing time alone is no longer enough. These players want a bigger stage than URI can offer to display themselves.
Is it a bigger stage to sit on the bench or play limited minutes?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

https://247sports.com/Article/Immediate ... 145906625/

a recent article; I think one of the more interesting points is that is says to have immediate eligibility it muyst have the departing coach ok.

One obvious change, - there should be a deadline for entering the portal, waiting , not saying, and having an effect on the recruiting process is way too generous to the student.

I think a school should make it clear to all their athletes, that they will not give their approval for immediate eligibility after a certain date.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I’ll be there! The “me first“ mentality needs to freaking go out the window.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Just another in a quick succession of gut punches. I continue to keep visiting the board these days to see what the next shoe to drop will be.

I am in the same camp as many others. I do not like where college basketball is headed, especially with the implications for a program such as URI. I am fast losing my allegiance to the game.

I think the further consolidation of nearly everything in the game (NCAA bids, home games, resources, facilities, tv games, etc...) by the top leagues is really starting to show effects at schools in conferences such as the A-10. URI and the entire A-10 is quickly getting squeezed out. Rhody won 21 games in the regular season this past year. It won ten straight games at one point and had no loss to a team that did not have a winning record. It still however would not have been enough to make the tournament. I think the kids see that. Even though Martin and Toppin saw a good deal of minutes for their class year, playing time alone is no longer enough. These players want a bigger stage than URI can offer to display themselves.
Is it a bigger stage to sit on the bench or play limited minutes?
No offense to the players - the stage was there. If they hit some shots with consistency they would have had some good Ws and been in the tourney. That’s all the coach and staff can do is put them in the position to make shots and win games. By the end of the season we were passing up open 3s because no one on the team (not named Jeff or Fatts) was shooting the ball particularly well. How many freakin free throws did we miss in that embarrassment of a game against Dayton?
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

This makes zero sense. This team was pretty stacked on paper. Why go to a power 5 conference if you're about to be on a team that could win a lot of games and "potentially" make a deep tournament run. I just don't get it. They'd still get a ton of exposure and have a shot at the NBA. Examples: Munford, Terrell, Mathews, Fatts...they get a shot at it. It's not like they don't get noticed or anything.
I've never ever seen something like this before. It's awful. This self centered way of thinking is ludicrous.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Just because players aren't bashing DC out the door doesn't mean there isn't something seriously wrong in Kingston.

Every mentor/good boss I have ever had has advised "don't EVER, EVER bash the organization or people on your way out. Your departure already says it all!!!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think there's blame all around...the coaching staff, the players, the administration.....

How much should be assigned to each is the question. Did Martin and Toppin think the ship is sinking, and wanted to get off?

It did seem like Cox in his statement indirectly was bashing the administration for the lack of program enhancements that were promised....

His frustration with all of this, is beginning to show through.

Like I've said, there are people who know what's going on. We don't.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hate to say it, but if the problem is Cox...he's likely not going anywhere for at least a year, maybe 2.

If it's the school not following through with infrastructure improvements, well that's not happening either anytime soon, with the economic issues facing URI due to the virus.

In other words, we're screwed if any of this is true.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

At this point, with Rese and Jacob baling out, now more than ever I hope we have a great season and leave whatever teams they are on in the dust.

I want to support players like JT, EC, Jeff, Cyril, and those that know what committed means. I know it may now be a pipe dream in CBB, but I don’t want to support self centered egotistical money grabbers who think they are league material.
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Toppin could wind up at Richmond since they are known to like “soft” players.....

Lol you think Izzo , Calipari , Coach K ect ever made comments like that about their players? Of course they did. Roy Williams said last years team was the least talented team he’s ever had, but they are Hall of famers and their players love them. Also. Toppin absolutely did play soft at times.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Hate to say it, but if the problem is Cox...he's likely not going anywhere for at least a year, maybe 2.

If it's the school not following through with infrastructure improvements, well that's not happening either anytime soon, with the economic issues facing URI due to the virus.

In other words, we're screwed if any of this is true.
It's gotta be the coaching staff or admin. These kids are recruited by tons of schools and for long periods of time. Relationships are built during the recruiting process and its the player's decision as to where they commit. Something is happening once they get here for so many to want to leave after such short periods of time.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago https://247sports.com/Article/Immediate ... 145906625/

a recent article; I think one of the more interesting points is that is says to have immediate eligibility it must have the departing coach ok.

One obvious change, - there should be a deadline for entering the portal, waiting , not saying, and having an effect on the recruiting process is way too generous to the student.

I think a school should make it clear to all their athletes, that they will not give their approval for immediate eligibility after a certain date.
This is a great point that I agree with, but that deadline has to be NCAA mandated.
If an individual school puts that rule into place, it won't work.
The first time you invoke it will be the last time you get a quality kid here.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Toppin could wind up at Richmond since they are known to like “soft” players.....

Lol you think Izzo , Calipari , Coach K ect ever made comments like that about their players? Of course they did. Roy Williams said last years team was the least talented team he’s ever had, but they are Hall of famers and their players love them. Also. Toppin absolutely did play soft at times.
The problem is you can't compare Roy Williams to Dave Cox. Guys respect Roy Williams because he is a HOF, National Champion coach. He's going to get different leeway from his players than Dave Cox (or any new, unestablished coach). Players are also much softer now than they were 40 years ago when some of these coaches were at an early point of their coaching career.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

What hurts me the most about Toppin transferring is that he said he came here because he loved that it seemed like family here and wanted to be part of it. Did that change? Is it not the family atmosphere he thought? Or did his priority change and the family was no longer important to him? Those are the questions that need answering. If it wasn't the atmosphere he thought then that's at least partially on the coaching and administration. If that no longer mattered to him, then it's not (though I still say with better infrastructure, they are in better position where Toppin and others feeling like URI is just as good a place as any to showcase their talents, so a change in philosophy by the player won't necessarily mean a transfer).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Based on the comments from Martin out the door, it's clear there were philosophical differences between him and the coaching staff about things like usage, mentality, etc. Is it possible that his comments are just indicative of a bigger-picture view of the coach where multiple players are not satisfied with how the ship is being steered and would rather jump off and ride it out? Martin's comments, while complimentary of the P5+BE opportunity, wasn't your standard "Coach was great and I'm so appreciative for everything he did for me" comments you often see from guys out the door. Based on the amount of guys leaving, it just doesn't seem like your standard, "I'm moving on up" transfer situation. Long would have been a key rotation piece next year and choose ODU over sticking it out at URI and playing for Cox. So you have a key piece trash the coach out the door, another rotation piece drop in level when he probably would have gotten good minutes, I'm just trying to connect the dots. It just doesn't seem like the simple "This is the new norm we are a feeder program" type attrition some want to make it seem like.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Toppin left because he his at home with his brother who is about to be in the NBA. The taste of success is there and the access to it seems to be greater. He is not as good as Obi. He likely never will be. Someone in his circles clearly feels as though if he goes P5, the visibility of his skill set/athleticism will be clearer. Jacob wants to be a star with only doing half the work. His freshman campaign was just OK, but the potential to be really good is/was there. He has freakish abilities. Some guys get notoriety for that. Again, the kid was just on TikTok with the coaches son before he left for home. What happened between then and now? The whispers became a lot more audible. He is headed for a P5, that is reason enough for a lot of kids today to leave.

Jacob played 15-20 minutes a game here and he rarely even played his senior year in high school. He sat on the end of the bench.

The staff now has to recruit kids with a loyal mentality if they want a shot at having a 4 year player anymore.

This whole phenomena is new across the landscape, we are now under the microscope even more, and it’s compounded because the turnover for a first year head coach was lumped into the equation.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Well to be fair, he sat at the end of the bench because he didn’t commit to UMass like that sleezeball coach wanted him to.
2 x
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Based on the comments from Martin out the door, it's clear there were philosophical differences between him and the coaching staff about things like usage, mentality, etc. Is it possible that his comments are just indicative of a bigger-picture view of the coach where multiple players are not satisfied with how the ship is being steered and would rather jump off and ride it out? Martin's comments, while complimentary of the P5+BE opportunity, wasn't your standard "Coach was great and I'm so appreciative for everything he did for me" comments you often see from guys out the door. Based on the amount of guys leaving, it just doesn't seem like your standard, "I'm moving on up" transfer situation. Long would have been a key rotation piece next year and choose ODU over sticking it out at URI and playing for Cox. So you have a key piece trash the coach out the door, another rotation piece drop in level when he probably would have gotten good minutes, I'm just trying to connect the dots. It just doesn't seem like the simple "This is the new norm we are a feeder program" type attrition some want to make it seem like.
I personally am not putting a lot of weight into what players are putting in the social media comments they are making on their way out the door. Its like reading a form letter 80% of the time. Hallmark needs to start making cards for the occasion.
2 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

I am a David Cox supporter, but he's brought in 9 prep players in his 2 years as head coach, only one is still on the roster. No matter how you sort the national transfer data, we are an outlier. Reasons?

Transfer Culture/Impending Rule Change - Obvious impact but as has been noted, plenty of comparable programs have managed to keep both their proven and developing players to this point.

Program Investment - We all know money is the #1 factor in long-term program success, but again, lots of programs with worse facilities and similar or less resources are doing a better job of player retention.

Coronavirus - Definite impact, but the transfers started before this and its no worse for us than any other program.

Still think David Cox is the right coach for us but I don't think that means excuses should be acceptable. He's learning on the job which is to be expected but the reality is things are about to get even harder. I think David Cox understands recruiting and dealing with young men. I don't think he understands developing and instilling a basketball program culture yet.

I said after Martin's announcement that the value of being a member of this program needs to be restored. Would I bring in Martin even if I had doubts about whether he was built for the long haul of this? Absolutely, Toppin too. But the rest (Silverio, Tate*, Tsourgiannis, Hammond, Long, Mading)? No. Too many scholarships thrown at players who had a combination of marginal talent and low commitment. I'm not trying to trash these players, they might be good somewhere else but they weren't good here and that's the point. Its not just stars and offers, the fit matters.

*Tate probably deserves his own category
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago

When you make comments like that the players and coaches hear them. So did the players family and friends - in Toppins case they were at every home game and most away games right behind the bench.

I saw and heard as Cox let some players hear it, in particular Dowtin and Walker. In 30 games I not once saw Cox lay into Russell, not last season either. To his credit he did bench him after the Richmond loss after a multi game run of poor shooting and poor shot selection.

I saw a change in body language from the beginning, middle and end of season. By the St Louis and UMASS games the body language of all the players and coaches had changed a lot - confidence was lacking.

As for “Toppin did play soft at times” I don’t recall a single criticism of Toppin all year long from any poster on this board, all positive comments, but now criticisms are raining down as he exits URI for greener pastures. Human nature I suppose.

I think Toppin had the most upside potential of any player on last years team. It’s a shame we won’t see that potential realized in Kingston.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Based on the comments from Martin out the door, it's clear there were philosophical differences between him and the coaching staff about things like usage, mentality, etc. Is it possible that his comments are just indicative of a bigger-picture view of the coach where multiple players are not satisfied with how the ship is being steered and would rather jump off and ride it out? Martin's comments, while complimentary of the P5+BE opportunity, wasn't your standard "Coach was great and I'm so appreciative for everything he did for me" comments you often see from guys out the door. Based on the amount of guys leaving, it just doesn't seem like your standard, "I'm moving on up" transfer situation. Long would have been a key rotation piece next year and choose ODU over sticking it out at URI and playing for Cox. So you have a key piece trash the coach out the door, another rotation piece drop in level when he probably would have gotten good minutes, I'm just trying to connect the dots. It just doesn't seem like the simple "This is the new norm we are a feeder program" type attrition some want to make it seem like.
I personally am not putting a lot of weight into what players are putting in the social media comments they are making on their way out the door. Its like reading a form letter 80% of the time. Hallmark needs to start making cards for the occasion.
That's true but that's why the comments from Martin and his camp in the New Haven article stood out a lot more. It wasn't your standard "Everything was great I just needed something different." Between the story about the movies, to quotes from his old AAU coach saying “It’s a better system at UConn than it was at URI, as far as understanding where your shot’s come from. It’s just a better fit offensively for him.” You usually don't get such pointed statements from guys (or their entourage).
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think there is truth in what both DC and 66 are saying.

It doesn't take much for a kid to leave nowadays.

But there are programs out there where their kids remain loyal and stay.

So what's the answer? At URI they are searching for answers.

RJ, I remember that comment from Martin. That could be telling.

Wonder if Toppin had the same issues?

Either way, they weren't willing to stick it out and work on it.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

You need your top guys engaged, and I think they are the lynch-pin to the whole operation.

The key to the Hurley operation while he was at URI that he kept all the major talented pieces from going elsewhere, and added enough key pieces to elevate them forward.

I think what happens sometimes is that recruits join a team because they see that tournament trajectory. The second they see the top guys not happy, they second guess that commitment.

Guys won't stay on a team because of playing time anymore. I think gone are the days where you can get a guy because "We have all these minutes" and they stay for four years because they are playing a lot.

Guys want to win. They want to win because they want exposure. They want to be a tournament team. They need to believe the coach can elevate them to that next level. They need to believe in the system. That's not going to keep everyone but that should keep most.

Too many guys who don't believe that can submarine the entire program in the modern environment. It happened before but it is worse and easier now. These guys leave high schools and AAU teams for the same things they leave colleges for.

You have more and more players playing between multiple HS's and AAU programs. How many guys do we see now play on 3+ HS's and 2+ AAU programs? More than a handful.

People connect dots now and say it's a collegiate issue, but to many of these players, these types of actions are things they've been doing their whole life.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

It can't be just what some are calling the new normal. No way. Maybe that's a part of it, but if it were then we would be seeing this systematic across the entire landscape. It's probably some combination of many factors including the perception whether real or not that URI and/or Cox is not the team to play for in order to be successful. That perception needs to change pronto.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago You need your top guys engaged, and I think they are the lynch-pin to the whole operation.

The key to the Hurley operation while he was at URI that he kept all the major talented pieces from going elsewhere, and added enough key pieces to elevate them forward.

I think what happens sometimes is that recruits join a team because they see that tournament trajectory. The second they see the top guys not happy, they second guess that commitment.

Guys won't stay on a team because of playing time anymore. I think gone are the days where you can get a guy because "We have all these minutes" and they stay for four years because they are playing a lot.

Guys want to win. They want to win because they want exposure. They want to be a tournament team. They need to believe the coach can elevate them to that next level. They need to believe in the system. That's not going to keep everyone but that should keep most.

Too many guys who don't believe that can submarine the entire program in the modern environment. It happened before but it is worse and easier now. These guys leave high schools and AAU teams for the same things they leave colleges for.

You have more and more players playing between multiple HS's and AAU programs. How many guys do we see now play on 3+ HS's and 2+ AAU programs? More than a handful.

People connect dots now and say it's a collegiate issue, but to many of these players, these types of actions are things they've been doing their whole life.
Spot on.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

3 x