Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So I'm guessing a Cox contract extension is not happening? No need anyways. Since we are in the "New Normal" which means the players aren't staying 4 years, so why does the coach have to have 4 years.
Oh, sorry, this is URI.

The Cox contract extension will come. Right as a P5 school is pulling him out the door after a NCAA run. Not before.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I liked Jacob's athleticism and I'm disappointed as a Rhody fan that he did not want to stay here and try to be the guy in a few years. I will not fault Cox for any issues with playing time this past season he was coaching to win games. Jacob was really an up and down player this past season and did not really deserve more minutes in my opinion. I'd expect these guys to bond with their teammates and want to stay together and for whatever reason that has not happened these past two seasons. I really like the level of player currently being brought into the program.
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So I'm guessing a Cox contract extension is not happening? No need anyways. Since we are in the "New Normal" which means the players aren't staying 4 years, so why does the coach have to have 4 years.
The reason he is getting 4 years is we are cheap and have no money. We aren’t paying two coaches. John Carroll and Sutton are here and they don’t seem to contribute anything, but I guess we are told you get what you pay for and the program can’t afford to pay assistants
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
The reason he is getting 4 years is we are cheap and have no money. We aren’t paying two coaches. John Carroll and Sutton are here and they don’t seem to contribute anything, but I guess we are told you get what you pay for and the program can’t afford to pay assistants

John Carroll technically isn’t an assistant if I’m not mistaken.
0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

One guys take

5 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

But he isn't getting 4. He only has 3 years left on his contract.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

This era of CBB blows!!!!!

Cox needs to speak up and take fucking responsibility for what has transpired as of late. Good coaches and good programs dont lose this many guys!!

I dont care who we have coming in now. Wood is our highest rated recruit and you guys hate him. Berry and leggett arent rated that high. The Mitchell twins barely played last year. Martin i dont know that much about. This is pure failure on cox.
Last edited by FDshoes 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Toppin left because we got Malik Martin and Tres Berry in the same week, and his dreams of slipping seamlessly into Tyrese's old starting job went poof.

His brother plays like an NBA player. He is physical, emotional, is deadly from three point land. Jacob isn't that. He shows flashes and wasn't a guarantee to start with the new blood coming in.
This could be close. His confidence doesn't match his game. I don't think you can stress enough the fact that he didn't come close to contending for the All A10 Freshman team. He just has athletic potential. I don't know if his permitter play can be better than the guys we have on the permitter or the interior can be better than the interior guys. Or that the combo he has will realize itself in some productive way.
I think he will eventually be a really good college player but it will be interesting to see if he still has the lift once he puts on the weight which would allow him to battle for position underneath. He needs to rebuild his handle after the growth spurt he was barely dribbling the basketball this past season. I really like his potential as a shot blocker. I did not see him as a sure starter for this upcoming season which I realize is a minority opinion. I very much wanted him to stay at URI.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Lol college basketball sucks now
TP, I think you you have to change your tagline to: "If you build it they will come. Then they will transfer." :shock:
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
But he isn't getting 4. He only has 3 years left on his contract.
He has three years left on his contract. He signed a 5 year deal with $300k base and all the other cheap stuff URI does like $200k+ gate receipts and something else to reach the $700k
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago One guys take

I Couldn't agree more with both these.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago One guys take

Boom.
1 x
GO RAMS
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Toppin left because we got Malik Martin and Tres Berry in the same week, and his dreams of slipping seamlessly into Tyrese's old starting job went poof.

His brother plays like an NBA player. He is physical, emotional, is deadly from three point land. Jacob isn't that. He shows flashes and wasn't a guarantee to start with the new blood coming in.
This could be close. His confidence doesn't match his game. I don't think you can stress enough the fact that he didn't come close to contending for the All A10 Freshman team. He just has athletic potential. I don't know if his permitter play can be better than the guys we have on the permitter or the interior can be better than the interior guys. Or that the combo he has will realize itself in some productive way.
I think he will eventually be a really good college player but it will be interesting to see if he still has the lift once he puts on the weight which would allow him to battle for position underneath. He needs to rebuild his handle after the growth spurt he was barely dribbling the basketball this past season. I really like his potential as a shot blocker. I did not see him as a sure starter for this upcoming season which I realize is a minority opinion. I very much wanted him to stay at URI.
These guys are obviously entitled to play wherever they want, but I think some of them are being naive. In the case of Martin and Toppin, they would have been the top dogs at a school that plays in one of the best non-P5 conferences, and would hopefully be competing for an A-10 championship and NCAA tournament bid every year. Along with that comes great exposure and recognition.

As it stands, both guys will most likely end up as role players at a P5 school where starter minutes will not be available, and they're just another face in a sea full of top-level recruits. Is that really helping their chances to potentially advance to the next level?? I have my doubts.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

You think this happens with all these people leaving if Hurley was still at Rhode Island?

It’s a simple answer: No.

They can say whatever they want on the way out. The fact is is the staff isn’t doing enough to keep these players happy. I don’t know what the answer is but Cox sure as heck better figure it out pretty quickly. Or he’ll be out of a job sooner than later.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Um. Hurley ran a boot camp. I'm sure there were a few along the way who would have transferred if they could with the upcoming transfer rule. He had players leave UConn this season.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Very disappointed with this news . Was not expecting it. I really like Jacob and was looking forward to his progress . Ihope he is not making
a huge mistake, but I fear he is . Wherever he lands , assuming he does transfer i hope it works out for him . I t seems to me that his situation
at URI was ideal for his future . It just doesn't feel like a good move for him , nor does the Tyrese Martin move . will have to wait and see who
is coming to URI now . That might answer some of the questions about why this is happening.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago
These guys are obviously entitled to play wherever they want, but I think some of them are being naive. In the case of Martin and Toppin, they would have been the top dogs at a school that plays in one of the best non-P5 conferences, and would hopefully be competing for an A-10 championship and NCAA tournament bid every year. Along with that comes great exposure and recognition. As it stands, both guys will most likely end up as role players at a P5 school where starter minutes will not be available, and they're just another face in a sea full of top-level recruits. Is that really helping their chances to potentially advance to the next level?? I have my doubts.
That's something that I've been struggling to wrap my head around too. Some recent transfers have talked about a "bigger stage" and "more exposure." From a professional/career perspective, it doesn't make much sense to me. I've heard incoming recruits say things like "If you can play, they [scouts/pro coaches] will find you" - and that rings true to me. At the pro level, it doesn't matter if you played at Rhode Island or Duke or Weber State (Damian Lillard) or Davidson (Steph) - if you can play they'll find you, and you have more of a chance to shine at a place where you can get more playing time earlier...
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago You think this happens with all these people leaving if Hurley was still at Rhode Island?

They can say whatever they want on the way out. The fact is is the staff isn’t doing enough to keep these players happy. I don’t know what the answer is but Cox sure as heck better figure it out pretty quickly. Or he’ll be out of a job sooner than later.
Hurley has been losing players too

Hey, i guess from your take you'll say Gregg Marshall is doing a shitty job at Wichita State...c'mon man this is going to be the new normal and its going to suck for CBB
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago You think this happens with all these people leaving if Hurley was still at Rhode Island?

Hey, i guess from your take you'll say Gregg Marshall is doing a shitty job at Wichita State...c'mon man this is going to be the new normal and its going to suck for CBB
We lose our entire roster is the new normal now? No thanks. I'll pass on that shit. I can go to Boon Street to see a pickup game if I want to.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

We lose our entire roster is the new normal now? No thanks. I'll pass on that shit. I can go to Boon Street to see a pickup game if I want to.
moving forward, yes i'd prob rather see a game a boon street too

this sucks that this type of turnover can happen every year
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

moving forward, yes i'd prob rather see a game a boon street too

this sucks that this type of turnover can happen every year
I don't think it will be this way each year. It was a perfect storm of the anticipated no wait transfer rule as well as these guys all going home for an extended period of time listening to their people.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Alternative meanings ~ Jeff Dowtin, Cyril Langevine
Alternative meanings ~ Jeff Dowtin, Cyril Langevine
1 x
GO RAMS
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Yes, I do think it still happens. Because URI is not a P5 school. These young kids are being told by everyone close to them that they need to play at a big time program if they want a chance to advance to the next level, even though there are plenty of examples where that simply isn’t true. And let’s stop acting like Hurley is Jay Wright or Tom Izzo. He’s a good coach with a big last name, but he still has a lot to prove.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

These kids are at home, due to COVID-19. They won't be, this time next year, they will be at school.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Irony?

If Fatts returns for his final season, will he be the last 4 year player for URI Basketball for a very long time?
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Let’s just continue Crucify the coach/staff for not Mitigating these types of things in the most unforeseen of crisises.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Let’s just continue Crucify the coach/staff for not Mitigating these types of things in the most unforeseen of crisises.
Umm, this has been going on a lot longer than the past month.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
Noted. I know you don't like Fatts, but the guy would be a consensus preseason All-American. You'll just have to suffer him one more year. You've had to suffer much worse in 30 something years, admit it.
I admit it. Zach Marbury comes to mind. Not sure if Zach was worse, but deserving of being in the same conversation. Zach didn't have a great leader like Jeff Dowtin to keep the team together. With Jeff graduating this team is imploding. But Zach was Zach and Fatts is Fatts, the real problem is the head coach, then and now. No self-respecting coach would allow a player to blow off his late game strategy to do his own thing.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Cox will not be 'out of here' until the day after his contract expires....
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago
Noted. I know you don't like Fatts, but the guy would be a consensus preseason All-American. You'll just have to suffer him one more year. You've had to suffer much worse in 30 something years, admit it.
I admit it. Zach Marbury comes to mind. Not sure if Zach was worse, but deserving of being in the same conversation. Zach didn't have a great leader like Jeff Dowtin to keep the team together. With Jeff graduating this team is imploding. But Zach was Zach and Fatts is Fatts, the real problem is the head coach, then and now. No self-respecting coach would allow a player to blow off his late game strategy to do his own thing.
I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were an assistant coach with intimate knowledge of Cox’s in-game strategies. Please enlighten us and provide specific examples where a defined strategy was implemented and then subsequently “blown off” by Fatts.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were an assistant coach with intimate knowledge of Cox’s in-game strategies. Please enlighten us and provide specific examples where a defined strategy was implemented and then subsequently “blown off” by Fatts.
I forget the game, but even I remember Cox saying he drew up a play (for someone else), and basically, Fatts was such a huge sackster, he did his own thing, not the play. Hit the game winner, but it may (or may not) have been a wtf moment for many...
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Agree. It doesn’t matter what he does the next three years. It would take back to back Jerry D years to be removed early. URI isn’t paying two coaches at once ever again.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jesus fucking christ, this is an awful take.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago This era of CBB blows!!!!!

Cox needs to speak up and take fucking responsibility for what has transpired as of late. Good coaches and good programs dont lose this many guys!!

I dont care who we have coming in now. Wood is our highest rated recruit and you guys hate him. Berry and leggett arent rated that high. The Mitchell twins barely played last year. Martin i dont know that much about. This is pure failure on cox.
* Mitchell twins “barely played” on TOP 10 team and best team we have played since Duke

When Martin goes from play 30 mins a game to 20 next year and is no longer a starter guys will think twice about transferring out.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

In statistics, "Rhody72" would be called "an outlier"
1 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

I forget the game, but even I remember Cox saying he drew up a play (for someone else), and basically, Fatts was such a huge sackster, he did his own thing, not the play. Hit the game winner, but it may (or may not) have been a wtf moment for many...
“Hit the game winner“. Well then I guess he made the right decision in that scenario! LOL. Although I honestly don’t recall the specific game/comment you’re referring to.

Here’s the bottom line, we’re not even sniffing a tournament bid this past season without Fatts. Anybody who argues to the contrary has never watched the kid play, or has some personal vendetta against him. Does he overshoot at times? Sure, every great player does. But he’s also a tenacious defender, a great ball handler, by far our best FT shooter and a kid who led our team in assists. Any team would be lucky to have a player of his caliber, so this idea that all the players are leaving because Fatts is a me-first guy who wants to take every shot is just ridiculous. It’s a tired narrative that has no factual evidence to back it up.

I, for one, hope the kid comes back and has a season for the ages, but it sounds like I’m in the minority. The idea is to recruit talent and retain it. Mission accomplished when it comes to Fatts.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree. It doesn’t matter what he does the next three years. It would take back to back Jerry D years to be removed early. URI isn’t paying two coaches at once ever again.
No, I think you missed again...it won't matter what he does...he will not be out until his contract expires. It would take at a minimum, sub 10 win seasons...and in this league, plus our crappy OOC scheduling, that's not happening...
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago

* Mitchell twins “barely played” on TOP 10 team and best team we have played since Duke

When Martin goes from play 30 mins a game to 20 next year and is no longer a starter guys will think twice about transferring out.
Tyrese will get more then 20 minutes a game. Guarenteed. Read the tea leaves cox has failed this far.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Tea leaves say

Year one - A10 semi finals
Years two- 20+ regular season wins, ranked 26th in the country, possible tourney bid.
Year three, one of the best freshman/transfer classes yet

Cox isn’t the problem.
7 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

No, I think you missed again...it won't matter what he does...he will not be out until his contract expires. It would take at a minimum, sub 10 win seasons...and in this league, plus our crappy OOC scheduling, that's not happening...
I’m not sure I missed again. That is exactly what I said. He isn’t getting fired. The league isn’t great, the schedule will be poor as you said. That is why I stated it would take two Jerry type years for this to happen. That will not happen
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Tea leaves say

Year one - A10 semi finals
Years two- 20+ regular season wins, ranked 26th in the country, possible tourney bid.
Year three, one of the best freshman/transfer classes yet

Cox isn’t the problem.
How can you say its one of the best freshman classes yet when our highest rated recruit gets shit on by most of the posters here??

Luther clay and iverson will argue about the transfer class being the best
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

“Hit the game winner“. Well then I guess he made the right decision in that scenario! LOL. Although I honestly don’t recall the specific game/comment you’re referring to.

Here’s the bottom line, we’re not even sniffing a tournament bid this past season without Fatts. Anybody who argues to the contrary has never watched the kid play, or has some personal vendetta against him. Does he overshoot at times? Sure, every great player does. But he’s also a tenacious defender, a great ball handler, by far our best FT shooter and a kid who led our team in assists. Any team would be lucky to have a player of his caliber, so this idea that all the players are leaving because Fatts is a me-first guy who wants to take every shot is just ridiculous. It’s a tired narrative that has no factual evidence to back it up.

I, for one, hope the kid comes back and has a season for the ages, but it sounds like I’m in the minority. The idea is to recruit talent and retain it. Mission accomplished when it comes to Fatts.
You're right, without him last year, there would have been no sniffing...

But at this point, I can't get too invested in who comes and who goes. I'm re-upping my tix regardless, will just have to root for whoever we have out there. I don't think it's a lock to say that we'll be better with Fatts next year than with xyz transfer guy plus plus plus...maybe, maybe not, but it's not set in stone.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Those of you that think Cox wouldn't be let go before his contract is up are wrong imo.

He does not have a big buyout.

If it's determined that he is the problem here, then the big donors will ante up, just like they were willing to do [too late of course] to keep Hurley.

They [the donors] put up most of the money to get rid of Baron. Baron's buyout was over a million dollars.

From what I understand the main reason Baron was let go, besides performance, was attendance and therefore revenue was trending way down and had to be reversed.

That's not the case [yet] with Cox at least.

Listen, I don't want to see David let go, but where does the accountability lie? Him? Assistants? Players?

I'm sure people who are a LOT closer to the program know far more than we do.

We'll see what decisions are made as time goes by.

Donors and their wallets can be pretty persuasive.

Now after saying all this, I do NOT think DC will be let go at least for another year.

With the total uncertainty surrounding the program and college BB in general, there won't be any changes for now I would have to think.

Next year, with all the new players coming in, is huge for Cox's future.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago

Tyrese will get more then 20 minutes a game. Guarenteed. Read the tea leaves cox has failed this far.
I don't think he gets 20 minutes per game at UConn...No way. He doesn't have the intensity on D, or the handle to get that time on a Hurls team in the NBE.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

His defense will have to improve, that's for sure.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

Show your work on those other programs
Pretty easy look up the transfer portal yourself and track the recruits. Not going to do the work for you.
I'm not going to let you throw out a bullshit line. Show your work
Maybe some people don’t have as much time on their hands as you appear to.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I don't think he gets 20 minutes per game at UConn...No way. He doesn't have the intensity on D, or the handle to get that time on a Hurls team in the NBE.
Right. He transferred to Uconn and now will get 12 minutes a game. We get it that Hurley likes defense, but he rebounds and can put the ball in the basket.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox has 3 years left on his deal.

No way does URI let him twist in the wind as a lame duck coach.

Either they let him go with at least 1 year left, or they extend him then.

As a lame duck, that would kill recruiting.

Of course, with things as they are, who knows if any recruit will stay more than a year anyway.

To say things are fucked up is a major understatement.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Right. He transferred to Uconn and now will get 12 minutes a game. We get it that Hurley likes defense, but he rebounds and can put the ball in the basket.
It will not be 20...
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I am sad that Toppin is leaving. Really bummed. He was very likable. Like all of us, I was looking forward to seeing him develop as a player for the next 3 years. This news hurts.

But, before we all decide to jump off a bridge, the optimist in me has to speak. Let's see how the roster fills out going forward. Maybe we add one 1-2 more players that we are excited about. Maybe we actually get better. The reality is that Toppin didn't have a great freshman year. His game is very raw and needs a lot of improvement everywhere. We loved his athleticism, the potential of his length, and his name. Not easy to be positive at this moment, but let's wait and see what happens.

The bigger issue is college basketball and what this rule change might do to us and the Mid Majors. Are we looking at this kind of roster turnover ever year? All of this movement is disheartening. The A10 always seemed to be a stepping stone for coaches that were on the rise, and that was hard to stomach. If that's what it becomes for players then it's going to be a huge problem (for us).

All the best to you Jacob Toppin. We are sorry to see you go.
2 x