Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Timing sucks. Toppin's presence may have played a role in other players' decisions to leave or other recruits/transfers decisions not to come here.
That’s what’s we thought after Tyrese. Boy were y’all wrong.

We will get another body.

I love Jacob! Hate to see him go, but if you don’t think the staff is already trying to fill his slot, then you haven’t been following closely enough.

...and it sucks...and I really hate what college ball is becoming.
Not sure if you meant to reply to me, don't see the connection between your post and mine.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Cox parlayed Tyrese Martin into a two-for-one of Malik Martin and Tres Berry.

Now, do I expect him to do that every single time? no

But he should be able to get someone good in place of Toppin.
Yea, we'll probably have Tres for 2 years max.
0 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Kids are out for self. Not for national championships anymore.
While I agree that the average kid is only looking out for themselves (hence the media circus that has become high school recruiting), I don't think they don't agree that they don't care about winning. The reality is that the likelihood of winning (and advancing) with known commodities is significantly greater. If a kid transfers to Kentucky, the odds of him playing in the Sweet 16 and in the Final Four is much higher than it is at URI or PC. The player also gets the self-serving benefit of gaining a ton of exposure from making that type of run. I don't think that is some sort of new concept. I think we just have to acknowledge that the average recruit in 2020 is much different than the average recruit in 2000, and is looking for many different things, not just in their recruitment but also in their college experience. Youtube, Twitter, Instagram, iPhones, etc., they've all revolutionized the game, and not for the better.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Well, Obi Toppin was one and done at Dayton, and now Jacob Toppin was one and done at Rhode Island.

Now forever placed in the archives up there with Zach "One and Done" Marbury
Obi Toppin was at Dayton for 3 years what are you talking about - academic redshirt, Fr year & Soph year. He turned 22 years old last month.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......wow, really not good for a Rhody hoops......maybe as some, I think said here, the trend is going to have a group of 5-6 core players that will get max exposure and minutes and can win some games with a weak bench of role minor subs that realize they will not get any significant minutes and be happy with those scraps......no?
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Cox parlayed Tyrese Martin into a two-for-one of Malik Martin and Tres Berry.

Now, do I expect him to do that every single time? no

But he should be able to get someone good in place of Toppin.
Yea, we'll probably have Tres for 2 years max.
That's ok
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Timing sucks. Toppin's presence may have played a role in other players' decisions to leave or other recruits/transfers decisions not to come here.

I love Jacob! Hate to see him go, but if you don’t think the staff is already trying to fill his slot, then you haven’t been following closely enough.

Well I mean, should we be happy that the coaches are doing their job to fill the slot? I assumed that is a given. I couldn't care less their trying to fill his slot, aka doing what they get paid to do. Would much rather them not have to fill it.
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm absolutely flabbergasted and pissed off. I was so looking forward to some toppin over the next few years.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago It’s seem like we are recruiting guys that all believe that they are better than what they are, or are good, and want more.

Kids are sitting home right now fielding nothing but calls from their inner circles telling them what’s out there and what could be.

We are about to do the same again and hopefully poach another kid off the transfer line. The silver lining is, they will have already used their transfer lifeline.
DC so you are telling me that not 1 kid in the last two recruiting classes wants to stay loyal to his coach, the guy who recruited him? That's a problem. All the inner circles are greater than the coach who was with these kids day in and day out for 1 or two years. A coach who fought for them, taught them, listened to their problems and loved them as a parent while they were here? If that's the case I want a new coach because what has happened this year is that not 1 kid over the last two years has felt their relationship with the coach meant anything. The whole family thing that he preached over the last two years is a joke if not 1 kid feels that. You can say the transfer rule changes everything but I'm not buying it.
If your mind is made up, what is the point of this dialogue. Move along with your agenda, and I’ll move along with mine.

Thanks.
My agenda for the past 40 years is that URI be the best it can be. I have been through many ups and downs but the downs always last longer than the ups for a variety of reasons. the last down cycle after the ups lasted almost 18 years, i don't want to see that again. SO that's my agenda. I can't sit through another Baron Era and that's what I am starting to see the beginnings of again. Whether you like it or not, some of this is on the coaches.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago His brother was the best player in the country, won multiple NPOY awrds, All American, Top 3 team in the country, and did it all in the A10. Jacob obviously knows he can get where he wants to be in this conference, so it 10000% has to do with the coaching staff / our program.
Maybe it is the facilities, or lack thereof. If we had all the amenities that Hurley was asking for before he left, then maybe these kids wouldn’t be so quick to look for greener pastures.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Well, Obi Toppin was one and done at Dayton, and now Jacob Toppin was one and done at Rhode Island.

Now forever placed in the archives up there with Zach "One and Done" Marbury
Obi Toppin was at Dayton for 3 years what are you talking about - academic redshirt, Fr year & Soph year. He turned 22 years old last month.
Two and done.

URI Toppin is one and done
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago So...don't we just need to re-baseline? Like, get a bunch of transfers...that can't leave? Then we'll be semi-solid again?
Stop recruiting high-schoolers (that can transfer)....
I think we have to hedge to cover a roster for next year in case the rule does not pass.
After that, sure, minimal high school kids. Instead, we will go to the NCAA parts bin and assemble a team.
It can work - pick the kids that failed at the P5 and are motivated by that experience.
Coaching becomes more of a integration job than a development job.
Offenses will become more basic (NBA like) as you don't have roster consistency.

The world is changing, need to adjust or fade into obscurity.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Funny how half the fan base came out of hibernation today to be negative as usual. And were no where to be seen the last two weeks. You guys think Iowa State is a bad program? Kansas State? What about Temple? Nebraska? Mississippi St? All these programs have the same turnover as us. If you do not think this is not the new normal you are just not paying attention. To me this speaks more to our lack of support to our basketball program. Of course your going to be lured to the shiny bells and whistles of the other programs who invest in their program. The administration has dropped the ball in investing in the program after the Hurley era and march madness appearances. No Practice facility, no increase in assistant coaches salary and no charter flight increases.
Show your work on those other programs
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago

Not sure if you meant to reply to me, don't see the connection between your post and mine.
You were saying you thinks players decisions affect others.

I don’t think that’s the case. I think some kids think “hey, there’s an opening”.

He’s still reeling in commits with relative ease. Why? Because it’s the new normal. Kids just want to play.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wake up to this news wtf !!!
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Funny how half the fan base came out of hibernation today to be negative as usual. And were no where to be seen the last two weeks. You guys think Iowa State is a bad program? Kansas State? What about Temple? Nebraska? Mississippi St? All these programs have the same turnover as us. If you do not think this is not the new normal you are just not paying attention. To me this speaks more to our lack of support to our basketball program. Of course your going to be lured to the shiny bells and whistles of the other programs who invest in their program. The administration has dropped the ball in investing in the program after the Hurley era and march madness appearances. No Practice facility, no increase in assistant coaches salary and no charter flight increases.
Pretty easy look up the transfer portal yourself and track the recruits. Not going to do the work for you.
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

We're in the "learning curve" portion of this transfer madness. No one knows how it's going to play out yet.

But that speculation and uncertainty, combined with all of the quarantine downtime is giving these kids (and their inner circles) a lot of time to think.

"Hey, so-and-so from my AAU or camp days, ask your assistant coach about me coming out there"

"Yeah, I talked to him and he said they'd love to have you."

I doubt it's even that direct but to a 19-year old kids that's all it'll take.

As others have pointed out, a year of this not really working out for players all over the country might slow it down a bit. After all, every team can only start 5 guys. This is also when a grumpy 39-year old man on this computer blames this on a generation of kids being told they're special since they could walk.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ummm can we stop saying "the new normal" as if every non-P5 in college basketball is losing their STARTERS? PLURAL?

Look at the A-10. Who's losing starters? We've had Tate, Long, Martin, and Toppin leave since 2nd semester began. We had a big who would've played significant minutes this year (and fight for minutes in the coming years) de-commit as well.

This is not some "new normal" this is a URI-centric problem.

Sure more kids are transferring - but literally 3/4 of our roster in the past 2 seasons has transferred or de-committed. That's not any level of normal. That's symptomatic of a problem that needs to be addressed.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Really.

Coaches say A SHIT TON worse than this.

If a kid is playing soft and you tell them they are playing soft, the goal is to get them to play HARDER.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Ummm can we stop saying "the new normal" as if every non-P5 in college basketball is losing their STARTERS? PLURAL?

Look at the A-10. Who's losing starters? We've had Tate, Long, Martin, and Toppin leave since 2nd semester began. We had a big who would've played significant minutes this year (and fight for minutes in the coming years) de-commit as well.

Sure more kids are transferring - but literally 3/4 of our roster in the past 2 seasons has transferred or de-committed. That's not any level of normal. That's symptomatic of a problem that needs to be addressed.
We lost one starter.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Maybe if the school invested in the program like we were a top tier A10 program (won't even look outside our own conference) then our players wouldn't feel that they can't get the spotlight set on them here.
You want to compete at the highest level, you have to invest at the highest level.
3 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Look at the transfer portal by program and it will tell you otherwise. NOT URI centric
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Ummm can we stop saying "the new normal" as if every non-P5 in college basketball is losing their STARTERS? PLURAL?

We lost one starter.
As of right now Fatts is not on the team, so we have lose 2 underclassman starters, and a future starter in Toppin. Stop being naive.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

The paranoia is definitely URI centric
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

You were saying you thinks players decisions affect others.

I don’t think that’s the case. I think some kids think “hey, there’s an opening”.

He’s still reeling in commits with relative ease. Why? Because it’s the new normal. Kids just want to play.
You don't think there's any chance that the staff may have pursued someone harder or tried harder to convince someone to stay if Toppin entered the portal a month ago? You don't think there's a chance that someone might have been more receptive to our interest? Having less options doesn't mean we won't get someone but I've never heard anyone see it as a good thing.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Pretty easy look up the transfer portal yourself and track the recruits. Not going to do the work for you.
I'm not going to let you throw out a bullshit line. Show your work
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Fatts is not on the team? When did this happen?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Look at the transfer portal by program and it will tell you otherwise. NOT URI centric
Right, I don’t know what I’m missing. We want to be the victim so damn bad.

Jacob Toppin is a stud.

Chances are we will bring in a transfer, ready to start that will be better than what Toppin currently is.

This isn’t the ideal way to view this, but with what I will continue to call the “new normal”, it is what it is.

The staff has to re-evaluate everything. They should.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We lost one starter.
So far......

Would you think Toppin would be in the starting lineup 2020-21? I would have thought so.
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Not to start a potentially unfair topic or irrelevant topic, but what does this say about Fatts?

Would Rese, Long and Toppin have stayed if there was better leadership from the best player on the team?
Maybe there is, but it doesn't matter to them?
Do they know that Fatts is gone?
If they did, they have no interest in being top dog?
The talented recruits and transfers coming in don't excite them?

I'm too old.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

We lost one starter.
So far......

Would you think Toppin would be in the starting lineup 2020-21? I would have thought so.
I don’t know. We brought in Malik Martin.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

We lost one starter.
So far......

No guarantee.

I know NYGiants fan said that if Toppin wasn't the starter, then that must mean that the other players are really good (paraphrasing)

That very well may be the case. Toppin might have ended up with the same amt of minutes he got first year
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

This Rhody Offseason in one gif.
Attachments
7EFA3640-2080-48CA-928B-8ADBE2AF0A06.gif
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Funny how half the fan base I came out of hibernation today to be negative as usual. And were no where to be seen the last two weeks. You guys think Iowa State is a bad program? Kansas State? What about Temple? Nebraska? Mississippi St? All these programs have the same turnover as us. If you do not think this is not the new normal you are just not paying attention. To me this speaks more to our lack of support to our basketball program. Of course your going to be lured to the shiny bells and whistles of the other programs who invest in their program. The administration has dropped the ball in investing in the program after the Hurley era and march madness appearances. No Practice facility, no increase in assistant coaches salary and no charter flight increases.
fify
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is not on the team? When did this happen?
He has entered the draft. He has the option to come back, but as of this second, he is not on the team. Why are you starting an argument just to start one?
1 x
Go Rhody
ericf0120
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ericf0120 »

I feel like the NCAA needs some sort of compensation rule for schools that lose a certain amount of transfers. Sort of like the NFL when teams lose a ton of free agents, they get compensation draft picks. Not sure how the NCAA would do it but that would lessen if schools like us and Wichita St don’t lose their whole team without some sort of recovery option
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm not, I just didn't realize that he was off the team.

I thought the assumption was that is on the team, unless he doesn't come back.
Last edited by rhodyfan3000 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton Board thread on Toppin - many posters think he could end up at Dayton but also think many P5’s will be involved.
https://udpride.com/forums/showthread.p ... post626487

PC Board on Toppin
https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 146000140/

Not a good Monday for URI Basketball
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The University Of Rhode Island Tranfers.

GO TRANS
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He has entered the draft. He has the option to come back, but as of this second, he is not on the team. Why are you starting an argument just to start one?
He’s maintained eligibility which means his still on the roster until he isn’t.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Look at the transfer portal by program and it will tell you otherwise. NOT URI centric
Right, I don’t know what I’m missing. We want to be the victim so damn bad.

Jacob Toppin is a stud.

Chances are we will bring in a transfer, ready to start that will be better than what Toppin currently is.

This isn’t the ideal way to view this, but with what I will continue to call the “new normal”, it is what it is.

The staff has to re-evaluate everything. They should.

Yeah jacob had a chance to develop into a star and a special player and extreme fan favorite. It hurts to lose such a player and experience this to a program you love. Jacob also was very raw and who knows what his developmental path is going to be compared to his brother?

Is it possible to find a player that is better in the immediate short term? yes possibly.

But currently right now URI has the most fragile fanbase in sports.

The reevaluation is building a roster by the transfer portal around a couple younger pieces. and building that roster each and every year by the portal.

Fred hoiberg at IOWA State as an example or Chris Jans who has been doing it for years at NMSU. Transfers have used their ability to transfer and look at the next step in their career as their 2nd and possible last opportunity.
Last edited by sevegny7 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Dayton Board - many posters think he could end up at Dayton but also think many P5’s will be involved.
https://udpride.com/forums/showthread.p ... post626487
He'd have to sit two years - there's nothing in the proposed transfer rule that would prevent a conference 2 year sit out rule from being negated is there?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago The University Of Rhode Island Tranfers.

GO TRANS
Caitlyn Jenner is going to be the new mascot... on a Wheaties box.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

WTF!!!??!

devastated

Fuck this!

It's all so far beyond my understanding.

I really have to find something else to do with my time.

Why Jacob?!? Why!?!

I hate everything! I'm going to eat a box of Bon Bon's in my parked car then cry myself to sleep....
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

he isn't, but you are.

entering the draft does not come close to equaling gone anymore. in fact a large portion of upper classmen enter the draft so they can go through the workouts and get feedback from scouts on their strengths and weaknesses. its become a routine development option for guys.

233 declared for last year's draft.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

this absolutely blows

cox can't keep his own players

CUT BAIT

CUT NCAA TRANSFER RULE BAIT

this is a joke
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just another in a quick succession of gut punches. I continue to keep visiting the board these days to see what the next shoe to drop will be.

I am in the same camp as many others. I do not like where college basketball is headed, especially with the implications for a program such as URI. I am fast losing my allegiance to the game.

I think the further consolidation of nearly everything in the game (NCAA bids, home games, resources, facilities, tv games, etc...) by the top leagues is really starting to show effects at schools in conferences such as the A-10. URI and the entire A-10 is quickly getting squeezed out. Rhody won 21 games in the regular season this past year. It won ten straight games at one point and had no loss to a team that did not have a winning record. It still however would not have been enough to make the tournament. I think the kids see that. Even though Martin and Toppin saw a good deal of minutes for their class year, playing time alone is no longer enough. These players want a bigger stage than URI can offer to display themselves.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Need to switch to recruiting strictly transfers so they can’t leave.
2 x