Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URI_05
ARD

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by URI_05 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago They also don’t make a POINT to say it’s not because of the staff.

The board was just praising the staff for two weeks straight. Now somethings “afoot” again.

Rese left and got what he was looking for...a P5z

Jacob is doing the same.

It’s truly the Wild Wild West.

Coaches aren’t enough for kids to stay anymore.
This take is ridiculous. There have always been greener pastures and Tyrese left before it looked like the rule would even apply this year.

Good coaches keep their stars.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago this is the exact shit the NCAA wants. all non P5 schools are nothing more than than a feeder system for the high and mighty P5.
What other programs have had the roster turnover we've had? How many players have we actually lost to the P5?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago They also don’t make a POINT to say it’s not because of the staff.

The board was just praising the staff for two weeks straight. Now somethings “afoot” again.

Rese left and got what he was looking for...a P5z

Jacob is doing the same.

It’s truly the Wild Wild West.

Coaches aren’t enough for kids to stay anymore.
This take is ridiculous. There have always been greener pastures and Tyrese left before it looked like the rule would even apply this year.

Good coaches keep their stars.
How about not limiting it to 'stars'...shouldn't good coaches keep, I dunno...maybe "most" of their players?
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

College basketball is a joke. Mid majors & below will never be good. All their good players are just going to leave for a better conference.
5 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Good coaches keep recruiting new blood. This one has. This could be way worse if the players were leaving and the coach was incapable of replacing them. Careful what you wish for. Even the amazing, fantastic Dan Hurley is having difficulty finding the kind of players he needs to sign in order to keep afloat at the level he is at.
2 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago College basketball is a joke. Mid majors & below will never be good. All their good players are just going to leave for a better conference.
So far exactly one of our players has left for a better conference... (Jacob will probably make it two.) This is a deeper problem than the rule.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

This one hurts.

My biggest concern here is Obi went from relative unknown to thriving in Dayton's system. Yes he could have done that anywhere, but the vast majority of the feedback was Dayton played a big role in his development and success. Whatever is happening behind the scenes - whether in practice, recruitment, film, etc. doesn't lead Jacob or his parents to believe URI will offer that same opportunity as Obi had. That's frightening, in my opinion.

On the opposite side, I could see where Jacob saw Obi's national exposure and felt going to a P5, whether he had to sit out a year or not, was his best path to that exposure.

I don't care how bad the transfer rule impacts the sport, we're letting it impact us more than anyone else when it comes to departures. There are programs like SBU, Davidson, Dayton, Richmond, etc. within our same conference that haven't seen any negative impacts.

I don't know what the next move is for URI, but Cox needs to quickly figure out what type of person he's chasing and they need to equally invest in working together for a long-term healthy partnership. Something needs to change...and quickly.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The new normal.
It's really not. This kind of turnover isn't happening at more than one or two other schools. Something is dysfunctional here and with our coaching staff
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wow that is crazy.

If he does turn out to be good it won't be for us and Cox kind of forced him onto the court at times this year at expense of other players. Of course trying to develop him and keep him happy. Ouch! What a waste of time.

I hope he turns out to be great like Obi for college basketball's sake and for him, but I think URI can do better to find someone that is a more certain all conference type talent than a boom or bust lottery pick. I really was hopeful he turned into a star but the evidence was otherwise on the court. Freshman do pretty good if they are good in this league. We have a bunch of examples over the years. There wasn't anything he could really contribute even once a week this past season.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago this is the exact shit the NCAA wants. all non P5 schools are nothing more than than a feeder system for the high and mighty P5.
What other programs have had the roster turnover we've had? How many players have we actually lost to the P5?
Wichita State/Maryland/ Georgetown.. off the top of my head.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago This one hurts a shit ton.

I don’t think there is anything the coach/staff could’ve done. They loved the kid. Word is, the Toppin brand is surging and he is trying to ride the wave.
that take is so wrong. Cox just lost his whole class from last year. and his #2 returning player. Something stinks bad. Don't try to tell me otherwise. If Harris goes then the last two recruiting classes are completely gone and will only be returning Fatts (maybe) and Walker from an 8 man rotation.

SOMETHING STINKS REAL BAD
Yeah, the NCAA stinks.

More than 50% of the teams across the country are going through the same turnover. Keep selling there our press clippings.
They aren't going through the same turnover. We're going through twice the turnover of the average school since Cox took over
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
Wichita State.
Exactly. One other fucking team out of over 300. Oh and at least their coach has a proven track record of making the tournament.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Good coaches keep recruiting new blood. This one has. This could be way worse if the players were leaving and the coach was incapable of replacing them. Careful what you wish for. Even the amazing, fantastic Dan Hurley is having difficulty finding the kind of players he needs to sign in order to keep afloat at the level he is at.

Uh, Hurley"s recruiting classes have been pretty damn good.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

This is the new normal.

As you sign new players, others will get disgruntled, and transfer out.

HOWEVER, you cannot stop signing new players, just to appease the veterans. No matter what!
3 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago This is the new normal.

HOWEVER, you cannot stop signing new players, just to appease the veterans. No matter what!
Repeating this over and over doesn't make it true.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

It is true
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Wow that is crazy.

If he does turn out to be good it won't be for us and Cox kind of forced him onto the court at times this year at expense of other players. Of course trying to develop him and keep him happy. Ouch! What a waste of time.

I hope he turns out to be great like Obi for college basketball's sake and for him, but I think URI can do better to find someone that is a more certain all conference type talent than a boom or bust lottery pick. I really was hopeful he turned into a star but the evidence was otherwise on the court. Freshman do pretty good if they are good in this league. We have a bunch of examples over the years. There wasn't anything he could really contribute even once a week this past season.
Anyone want to take this? I can't just real bad .
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago This one hurts a shit ton.

I don’t think there is anything the coach/staff could’ve done. They loved the kid. Word is, the Toppin brand is surging and he is trying to ride the wave.
that take is so wrong. Cox just lost his whole class from last year. and his #2 returning player. Something stinks bad. Don't try to tell me otherwise. If Harris goes then the last two recruiting classes are completely gone and will only be returning Fatts (maybe) and Walker from an 8 man rotation.

SOMETHING STINKS REAL BAD
Your takes?

If it's Cox/staff, why do the transfers explicitly state otherwise? They could easily just say it's in their best interests to leave and end it at that. Tyrese and Jacob both stated that it had nothing to do with the coach/staff when neither had to say anything.
Yes, Tyrese said it had nothing to do with the coaching staff and then immediately proceeded to shit on TJ, and by extension Cox.

Have you ever broken up with someone? "It's not you, it's me." Guess what, it almost always is the you and not the me in that scenario, but people want to handle things with class. With the amount of turnover, twice the amount of a normal program, it's time for everyone to look in the mirror and say it's not the players, it's something at URI and it needs to be fixed
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This is extremely upsetting.

Wow.

I don't even know what to say.

How do we even have a chance anymore? Gotta flip the entire roster every year.

Go from extreme low to extreme high back to extreme low.

Who the hell knows what's next. Simply ridiculous.

I can't feel like it's all Cox's fault. How can you? Wichita State just had 8 players leave and Purdue starting center transferred. Haarms was playing at the highest level other than a blue blood, but still on a team a UVA miracle away from going to the final four two years ago. Still leaves!

How can you feel safe with any player now? Ya just gotta be ready to re-load all the time and hopefully we can make the tournament in the future so guys will stay. Even though these guys were on teams that were on national TV and we made the tournament not long ago at all.

Feeling like I have to detach emotionally until we play our first fucking game of the year.

Why even have a prediction contest?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

His brother was the best player in the country, won multiple NPOY awrds, All American, Top 3 team in the country, and did it all in the A10. Jacob obviously knows he can get where he wants to be in this conference, so it 10000% has to do with the coaching staff / our program.
3 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Kids started transferring well before because their inner circles have been reminding them all that the new rule would likely pass. Tyrese even said in his IG live before he committed anywhere that he was told the rule would pass.

Last week Jacob did at TikTok with the coaches son. There was clearly some love there. Kids are out for self. Not for national championships anymore.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago

Wichita State.
Exactly. One other fucking team out of over 300. Oh and at least their coach has a proven track record of making the tournament.
Not sure this matters, but if you're comparing to all D-1 teams, there's multiple programs with more transfers than us. In fact, we're now tied with UMass and GW for most in the A-10 this year. I think the point is, good programs don't have this many.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Wow that is crazy.

What??? You hope Toppin turns out to be great for college basketballs sake? Have you been watching what has been going on. I’m not hoping this guy is one of the top players in college basketball, but that is just me. Also they aren’t going to do better. If someone is remotely good they will leave. We are a farm system for the Red Sox and Yankees now
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

This whole thing stinks. Extremely frustrating to watch unfold. I'm with PRT, maybe just tune out 'til the first game next season. Could be fun to be surprised who's actually on the team.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

If I had to throw out a quick guess on landing spot I'm going to say St. Johns...close to home and friends with a few on the team.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago This is the new normal.

IT'S NOT THE NEW NORMAL! Anyone saying this is a stone cold idiot this refuses to look at the college basketball landscape outside of Kingston. This isn't happening everywhere else. If it's not happening everywhere else, it's not normal. We're losing twice the amount of the average school, by definition that isn't normal
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It’s seem like we are recruiting guys that all believe that they are better than what they are, or are good, and want more.

Kids are sitting home right now fielding nothing but calls from their inner circles telling them what’s out there and what could be.

We are about to do the same again and hopefully poach another kid off the transfer line. The silver lining is, they will have already used their transfer lifeline.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago This whole thing stinks. Extremely frustrating to watch unfold. I'm with PRT, maybe just tune out 'til the first game next season. Could be fun to be surprised who's actually on the team.
Otherwise its just constant speculating in already the most speculative time in history.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Kids started transferring well before because their inner circles have been reminding them all that the new rule would likely pass. Tyrese even said in his IG live before he committed anywhere that he was told the rule would pass.

Last week Jacob did at TikTok with the coaches son. There was clearly some love there. Kids are out for self. Not for national championships anymore.
Tyrese literally said the opposite, hence the now infamous, "I get to live my life" quote
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sadly, I'm quickly losing interest in this team and in college basketball. As a fan of close to 50 years, that is something I never thought I would say.
7 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Kids started transferring well before because their inner circles have been reminding them all that the new rule would likely pass. Tyrese even said in his IG live before he committed anywhere that he was told the rule would pass.

Tyrese literally said the opposite, hence the now infamous, "I get to live my life" quote
Yea he guessed it wasn't going to pass.

If it doesn't pass, he'll have plenty of time to look high as a kite smoking hookah on Instagram Live.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Recruiting is going to become the most important factor in "THE NEW NORMAL" for URI Hoops.

You need a good mixture of top freshman, and also transfers (just like the big boys).

But please keep in mind, as much as you don't want the freshmen to leave after year one or year two, if they don't get the minutes they think they are entitled to, they might transfer, and the process will keep repeating itself.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Sadly, I'm quickly losing interest in this team and in college basketball. As a fan of close to 50 years, that is something I never thought I would say.
:(
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Timing sucks. Toppin's presence may have played a role in other players' decisions to leave or other recruits/transfers decisions not to come here.
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Timing sucks. Toppin's presence may have played a role in other players' decisions to leave or other recruits/transfers decisions not to come here.
Good point.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago It’s seem like we are recruiting guys that all believe that they are better than what they are, or are good, and want more.

Kids are sitting home right now fielding nothing but calls from their inner circles telling them what’s out there and what could be.

We are about to do the same again and hopefully poach another kid off the transfer line. The silver lining is, they will have already used their transfer lifeline.
DC so you are telling me that not 1 kid in the last two recruiting classes wants to stay loyal to his coach, the guy who recruited him? That's a problem. All the inner circles are greater than the coach who was with these kids day in and day out for 1 or two years. A coach who fought for them, taught them, listened to their problems and loved them as a parent while they were here? If that's the case I want a new coach because what has happened this year is that not 1 kid over the last two years has felt their relationship with the coach meant anything. The whole family thing that he preached over the last two years is a joke if not 1 kid feels that. You can say the transfer rule changes everything but I'm not buying it.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

It's like the Night's Watch in Game of Thrones.

Because of recruiting, every year you get a new family.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So...don't we just need to re-baseline? Like, get a bunch of transfers...that can't leave? Then we'll be semi-solid again?
Stop recruiting high-schoolers (that can transfer)....
2 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Starting to care less and less about what used to be my favorite sport to watch.
6 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Timing sucks. Toppin's presence may have played a role in other players' decisions to leave or other recruits/transfers decisions not to come here.
That’s what’s we thought after Tyrese. Boy were y’all wrong.

We will get another body.

I love Jacob! Hate to see him go, but if you don’t think the staff is already trying to fill his slot, then you haven’t been following closely enough.

...and it sucks...and I really hate what college ball is becoming.
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
alldayrhodyrams02
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by alldayrhodyrams02 »

How is this happening...? Toppin was my new favorite player. I don’t understand what is going on with Rhody mbb and transferring. We just better hope Fatts doesn’t get drafted otherwise.. wtf is all I have to say.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Funny how half the fan base came out of hibernation today to be negative as usual. And were no where to be seen the last two weeks. You guys think Iowa State is a bad program? Kansas State? What about Temple? Nebraska? Mississippi St? All these programs have the same turnover as us. If you do not think this is not the new normal you are just not paying attention. To me this speaks more to our lack of support to our basketball program. Of course your going to be lured to the shiny bells and whistles of the other programs who invest in their program. The administration has dropped the ball in investing in the program after the Hurley era and march madness appearances. No Practice facility, no increase in assistant coaches salary and no charter flight increases.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago It’s seem like we are recruiting guys that all believe that they are better than what they are, or are good, and want more.

DC so you are telling me that not 1 kid in the last two recruiting classes wants to stay loyal to his coach, the guy who recruited him? That's a problem. All the inner circles are greater than the coach who was with these kids day in and day out for 1 or two years. A coach who fought for them, taught them, listened to their problems and loved them as a parent while they were here? If that's the case I want a new coach because what has happened this year is that not 1 kid over the last two years has felt their relationship with the coach meant anything. The whole family thing that he preached over the last two years is a joke if not 1 kid feels that. You can say the transfer rule changes everything but I'm not buying it.
If your mind is made up, what is the point of this dialogue. Move along with your agenda, and I’ll move along with mine.

Thanks.
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Sadly, I'm quickly losing interest in this team and in college basketball. As a fan of close to 50 years, that is something I never thought I would say.
My thoughts exactly! If this is the new normal, then I do not want any part of it.
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

What did Cox do wrong with Martin or Toppin? Jacob got plenty of time as a freshman.
I am sure Cox told him he would be the starting 3 next year. But unless your a shoe'in to
get to the tournament these guys are going to go play for whats best for them.
This is ridiculous. Look at the transfer portal, it's full of freshman and sophomores.
Mid Majors are being turned into Power 5's D league. This totally sucks.
I know i am being petty but I hope they go to a P5 program and sit on the
end of the bench for the rest of their college careers.
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’d throw out these possibilities:
Iona
Dayton
Rutgers
St Johns
Syracuse
UConn
PC
And most any P5 team - wouldn’t surprise me if he lands at a Top ACC team like UNC, Duke, NC State, or a Big 10 school or SEC

If there is one player I looked forward to watching next season it was Jacob Toppin. Great athleticism, enthusiastic player, exciting, eager to learn and most of all high potential. Jacob is a potential star in college basketball. I said often this season he needed more minutes of playing time. It’s a shame to lose a talent like this. Just a shame. Worse than losing Tyrese. Jacob would for sure have been in the starting line up 2020-21.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago So...don't we just need to re-baseline? Like, get a bunch of transfers...that can't leave? Then we'll be semi-solid again?
Stop recruiting high-schoolers (that can transfer)....
Appears to me that’s the formula going forward if we want to rise. Dunno if that’s something I’d toss my money and time at. Where’s the “college” in that type of basketball?

Seems all in green teamer a better choice?

Pretty conflicted now honestly. This adding to the covid19 drama is probably not healthy for many of us.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Cox parlayed Tyrese Martin into a two-for-one of Malik Martin and Tres Berry.

Now, do I expect him to do that every single time? no

But he should be able to get someone good in place of Toppin.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago What did Cox do wrong with Martin or Toppin? Jacob got plenty of time as a freshman.
I am sure Cox told him he would be the starting 3 next year. But unless your a shoe'in to
get to the tournament these guys are going to go play for whats best for them.
This is ridiculous. Look at the transfer portal, it's full of freshman and sophomores.
Mid Majors are being turned into Power 5's D league. This totally sucks.
I know i am being petty but I hope they go to a P5 program and sit on the
end of the bench for the rest of their college careers.
Chico, PLEASE STOP TRYING TO USE LOGIC HERE! For Pete’s sake...it’s annoying.
4 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

This. Is. Only. The. Beginning.
0 x