Jermaine Harris

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jermaine Harris

Unread post by RamStock »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago I hope Harris stays. In my opinion, if I had to take a decent guess, I'd say this is what players like Harris are probably having a hard time understanding about this fan base:

We see he's struggled a bit and we point his flaws because we had high hopes for him & still do. I feel like we're a "tough love" type of group. In my opinion, his struggles seem to be a mental thing. I think he has talent. He could use to improve his cardio fitness, so he can be on the court more without getting exhausted after 5 minutes.
I think what Harris and players need to understand is that we're one big dysfunctional family that is passionate about Rhody basketball. We're critical of how players are developing because we want to see them do well and make the NCAA Tournament. We're also rabidly supportive of loyal players who have a never say die attitude when they are on the court and bleed Keaney blue through & through despite some talent/performance shortcomings. Cyril wasn't a prototypical center, but he worked hard, honed his skills, & never took a play off. He fought for every inch. I mean, we kept thinking he had butter fingers on easy passes in the lane up until his senior year, yet we still loved him for his commitment & determination to persevere, in my opinion.
Did TJ score 20+ points a night? Nope, but we love & have an eternal respect fo him for his attitude and fight.
Did Xavier Munford take us to the NCAA Tournament? Nope, but he laid the groundwork for the program and always gave it his all when he was on the floor. He competed. Every play.
I know some may have cringed a bit when Harris drove to the lane a couple times against Dayton (I think it was that game), but I was super happy when he did it. I was not only happy to see him competing a bit harder, but also I was happy for him because to me it showed he was beginning to change his mentality from one of a bystander to one of a competitor and he seemed to have made up his mind to just "F" it, in some respect, and just start taking it to the opposition. He was committed. He was determined. He was fighting back.
I agree. I hope Harris stays at URI also. I have a soft spot for him ever since that day he picked URI over Xavier. He may never be a first team A-10 player, but he works hard on defense and started to improve his offense. I think he has had many different injuries that have slowed him down. He would be a starter with 20-22 minutes a game
5 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Big Jermaine fan FWIW.
5 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I felt the same way that DC did when I saw the IG posts. Sure seemed to me like he was saying that he didn’t know if he was returning or not. It wasn’t just one post but in many.

I for one like him and saw a big improvement. I look forward to seeing him nest season and hope his is with us.
4 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Please stay.
5 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago A commitment means a commitment. Time money blood sweat and tears go into recruiting and coaching a player. Why the F are these kids messing around. Have some decency and respect. Harris has a great spot here going forward. Cmon.
There is a 10 page thread on here with posts bashing the kid all season long. Now we're demanding decency and respect in return? (Plus the fact that nothing he did lacked decency and respect in the first place).
Last edited by adam914 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
12 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago A commitment means a commitment. Time money blood sweat and tears go into recruiting and coaching a player. Why the F are these kids messing around. Have some decency and respect. Harris has a great spot here going forward. Cmon.
There is a 10 page thread on here with posts bashing the kid all season long. Now we're demanding decency and respect in return?
y'all know who I'm blaming if he transfers...
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

There is a 10 page thread on here with posts bashing the kid all season long. Now we're demanding decency and respect in return? (Plus the fact that nothing he did lacked decency and respect in the first place).
If I recall correctly that 10 page thread which is now thankfully locked, was mainly 2 or 3 posters bashing Harris’ game and many more defending Harris and/or bashing the posters for insulting Harris.

I for one love Harris’ game and hope he’s here 2 more years. I want more hook shots from him.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I want a PF who can lead us to the NCAA tournament. I haven't seen that in Harris's play for 2 seasons. I have no reason to believe that he is anything but a great kid. He is here on scholarship for URI's basketball success.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Would it shock anyone if the transfer rule passes, he leaves. Probably doesn't want to sit a year and wants to be a starter. Mitchell's are coming to play. They want to be on floor together.. who loses in that scenario
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Has Jermaine ever played more than 20 minutes in a game, for whatever reasons?

There's still plenty of minutes for him to share with the Mitchell twins.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Has Jermaine ever played more than 20 minutes in a game, for whatever reasons?

There's still plenty of minutes for him to share with the Mitchell twins.
That was my thinking, if anything, Walker’s mins could get hurt
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
There is a 10 page thread on here with posts bashing the kid all season long. Now we're demanding decency and respect in return?
Yup....
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Yup....
lol Rhody 15!
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Yup....
lol Rhody 15
Last edited by LoveThoseRams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I don’t see Harris leaving and if he does I think it’s a reflection of his compete level.

He’s not going to move to a P5 for more minutes/big opportunity based on his performance the first two years here. Harris would also likely face a bigger logjam for minutes than he would at URI if he goes P5.

I don’t see Harris leaving to make a lateral or lower conference move.

I feel like this is more about Harris reconciling the fact that for the first time his starting job is being challenged at URI.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Yup....
lol Rhody 15!
I thought you were referring to the MItchell twins when you said who you'd be blaming. I haven't said one bad thing about the kid since the season ended, and have said multiple times since he started posting about potentially leaving that I hope he stays. So there"s that.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Harris is seriously strong. He has serious lateral quickness. Hedges hard on screens. Awesome free throw shooter. Ok finishing on the move to the basket.

His problem is Maturity. Guess what usually helps that problem? Another year. He’s got two.
6 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

STC wrote: 4 years ago I don’t see Harris leaving and if he does I think it’s a reflection of his compete level.

He’s not going to move to a P5 for more minutes/big opportunity based on his performance the first two years here. Harris would also likely face a bigger logjam for minutes than he would at URI if he goes P5.

I feel like this is more about Harris reconciling the fact that for the first time his starting job is being challenged at URI.
His best performances this year came right when Walker
Became eligible and would challenge him for minutes (for which I gave Harris props during his good 3/4 game stretch.)

Maybe competition is what he needs.
1 x
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Why do people follow these kids on social media if the stuff they post bothers you so much? A bunch of adults bitching and hanging on every word college kids are doing online when nobody is forcing you to follow it. I hope he is doing it just to troll everybody. After most of the stuff fans have been saying about the kid for two years I wouldn't blame him.
Here, here! I don’t understand why anyone over twenty five or so would follow these kids on social media. From comments I’ve read on this board, it seems like they are all actors in their own movie. Half the stuff they put out seems to be to just mess with people. Go play golf if it’s allowed in your state these days, read a book, take a walk... even clean your basement. Following the whims of these kids is a waste of time, in my opinion. This pandemic will end at some point, we’ll have a team and you’ll support it. Many times, it’s better not to know how the sausage is made.
7 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Why do people follow these kids on social media if the stuff they post bothers you so much? A bunch of adults bitching and hanging on every word college kids are doing online when nobody is forcing you to follow it. I hope he is doing it just to troll everybody. After most of the stuff fans have been saying about the kid for two years I wouldn't blame him.
Here, here! I don’t understand why anyone over twenty five or so would follow these kids on social media. From comments I’ve read on this board, it seems like they are all actors in their own movie. Half the stuff they put out seems to be to just mess with people. Go play golf if it’s allowed in your state these days, read a book, take a walk... even clean your basement. Following the whims of these kids is a waste of time, in my opinion. This pandemic will end at some point, we’ll have a team and you’ll support it. Many times, it’s better not to know how the sausage is made.
It's 2020. Everything is on social media. Tres Berry announced his commitment on IG. That's how I found out.

I follow our players because I support this team and this program. They post a lot of great things behind the scenes. When a player responds twice to people asking if he is staying we have every right to wonder what the deal is.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Ugh...clean my basement! Really?

I’d much rather watch Tyrese smoking hookah in his dorm room than clean my basement :)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ugh...clean my basement! Really?

I’d much rather watch Tyrese smoking hookah in his dorm room than clean my basement :)

Speaking of Tyrese smoking hookah, he’s been on IG live doing that with Jeff and Fatts the last two nights.

Tyrese was openly recruiting / laughing while trying to convince Fatts to come to UConn next year saying, “come on man, we still got one more scholarship.”
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Methinks some folks have way too much interest in kids (yes, "kids that are not their own kids") personal lives, but that could just be me...old man yelling at cloud...
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Methinks some folks have way too much interest in kids (yes, "kids that are not their own kids") personal lives, but that could just be me...old man yelling at cloud...
Quarantine times lead to more IG live notifications, and with minimal entertainment these days, people join in and watch.
0 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Methinks some folks have way too much interest in kids (yes, "kids that are not their own kids") personal lives, but that could just be me...old man yelling at cloud...
I’ll admit. I’m the creeper helicopter mother that they don’t know they have!

Can you imagine what my real biological, from my loins, kids went through??
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I can imagine! 'Cuz we've had a couple. ;) I'm thinking that's totally different.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

I can imagine! 'Cuz we've had a couple. ;) I'm thinking that's totally different.
Well my mantra was...”you leave your Constitutional rights at the door, everything is subject to search in this house”....somehow they made it through okay...both are through grad school and in good profession...but for the twitches, they are awesome!
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well my mantra was...”you leave your Constitutional rights at the door, everything is subject to search in this house”....somehow they made it through okay...both are through grad school and in good profession...but for the twitches, they are awesome!
Not sure it stops at the door, does it? Did you ever call the university to check on them because they wouldn't answer the phone, or get back to you?
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Not sure it stops at the door, does it? Did you ever call the university to check on them because they wouldn't answer the phone, or get back to you?
Yes it does when your mother is a cop/lawyer! Everything is subject to search, rooms, bags, computers, etc.

Nope, never called the University, so I wasn’t quite a helicopter parent. Once they headed to college they were all set, if they wanted their tuition paid there was certain rules as to grades, but they were on their own to get them or not.

Somehow, they made it despite me!
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Nope, never called the University, so I wasn’t quite a helicopter parent. Once they headed to college they were all set, if they wanted their tuition paid there was certain rules as to grades, but they were on their own to get them or not.
More than fair, lucky kids to have a mom with a strict code that includes allowing them to spread their wings when the time comes. Good work LTR!
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago Would it shock anyone if the transfer rule passes, he leaves. Probably doesn't want to sit a year and wants to be a starter. Mitchell's are coming to play. They want to be on floor together.. who loses in that scenario
This could be a realistic scenario. JH could sense he gets beaten out and decides to transfer then hopefully we get a grad transfer big who is serviceable for 20 minutes a game
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

More than fair, lucky kids to have a mom with a strict code that includes allowing them to spread their wings when the time comes. Good work LTR!
Thanks RR, I always said they don’t come with instruction manuals and you have to do your best. I got lucky, they turned out okay. But it wasn’t always easy.

That’s why I get really concerned when I see folks really beating up on some of our players here. For some of these guys, basketball is their motivation. For some it may be their way to success, and I don’t mean the NBA, but a college degree and a good career post grad.

Of course I want to win games as much as the next fan, but I also want our players to have a good college experience, learn in the classroom, in the locker room from good coaches like Cox, and on the court.
6 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I am over 25 and I follow most of them on social media. Big whoop. I don’t play golf and I don’t have a basement. Lots of walking, though!

I don’t waste my time I am interested on what they post and don’t read into it.
2 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

I am over 25 and I follow most of them on social media. Big whoop. I don’t play golf and I don’t have a basement. Lots of walking, though!

I don’t waste my time I am interested on what they post and don’t read into it.
We’ll agree to each do our own thing on this subject: no harm, no foul. I do enjoy most of the subjects in this forum. I especially enjoy when posters inject some humor. This is all supposed to be entertainment and a diversion from our daily lives. Whoever stated that Aris’ last name translated to the Greek god of fouls had the all time post, in my book. I still laugh when I think about that one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
STC wrote: 4 years ago I don’t see Harris leaving and if he does I think it’s a reflection of his compete level.

His best performances this year came right when Walker
Became eligible and would challenge him for minutes (for which I gave Harris props during his good 3/4 game stretch.)

Maybe competition is what he needs.
Consider just 5 months ago URI @ Maryland. Of these players Harris had the best game in what was a very big game for both teams
Makhi started played total 4 minutes committed 4 fouls
Makhel played total 6 minutes committed 3 fouls

Harris had the most FG, best FT%, most points, most rebounds tied, lowest TOs tied

Looking forward to Harris’ next 2 years here. I hope he doesn’t leave. And maybe tap the breaks on the Twins and Russell?
  • Harris 21 min: 4-9 FG, 2-2 FT, 5 rebounds with 3 offensive, 1 TO, 4 Fouls, 10 points
  • Tyrese Martin 21 min: 3-9 FG, 3-5 3P, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 Steal, 2 TO, 4 Gouls, 9 points
  • Russell 40 min: 1-8 FG, 2-4 FT, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 4 TO, 3 Fouls, 5 points
  • Makhi Mitchell 4 min: 1-1 FG, 0 rebounds, 1 block, 1 TO, 4 Fouls, 2 points
  • Makhel Mitchell 6 min: 0-0 FG, 3 rebounds, 1 Assist, 1 TO, 3 Fouls, 0 points
A155FAE8-7701-425E-8A48-3289D5D3D5A9.png
EB841932-3BF8-4986-81BD-CD439DBD598D.png
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Another 1-8 for Fatts
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Harris is seriously strong. He has serious lateral quickness. Hedges hard on screens. Awesome free throw shooter. Ok finishing on the move to the basket.

His problem is Maturity. Guess what usually helps that problem? Another year. He’s got two.

When u say maturity(basketball maturity?), I can't help but think of the correlation between that and the entire coaching staff.

Cox needs to "fix" his support coaches. What exactly is Carroll's jr qualifications to be a 2nd assistant. Compare him to Tom Moore when Hurley was here.

0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Harris is seriously strong. He has serious lateral quickness. Hedges hard on screens. Awesome free throw shooter. Ok finishing on the move to the basket.

When u say maturity(basketball maturity?), I can't help but think of the correlation between that and the entire coaching staff.

Cox needs to "fix" his support coaches. What exactly is Carroll's jr qualifications to be a 2nd assistant. Compare him to Tom Moore when Hurley was here.

Tom Moore the snake oil salesman
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Cox needs to "fix" his support coaches. What exactly is Carroll's jr qualifications to be a 2nd assistant. Compare him to Tom Moore when Hurley was here. I never hear anything on either one of the Carroll’s and was surprised that Sutton was in on recruiting recently. It seems like Cox and TJ do most of it.

Agree on the support staff. It doesn’t seem to be the strongest set of assistants with Cox.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I do mean maturity on the court. Things like consistency and fouls. I think Langevine took a lot of rebounds from Harris.

Idk if the assistant coaches could be better. They do have a lot of accomplishments under them. Look them up.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Tom Moore the snake oil salesman
Fixed it for you
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
Fixed it for you
I wonder who was paying him more when he was here? Us? Or them? :lol:
2 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

Cox needs to "fix" his support coaches. What exactly is Carroll's jr qualifications to be a 2nd assistant. Compare him to Tom Moore when Hurley was here. I never hear anything on either one of the Carroll’s and was surprised that Sutton was in on recruiting recently. It seems like Cox and TJ do most of it.
Agree on the support staff. It doesn’t seem to be the strongest set of assistants with Cox.
Austin Carroll had several good Non-Conference scouts, namely the Alabama and West Virginia games. He seems like he has a good basketball mind and will develop with time.

The tough part is having two first-time Assistants on the bench at the same time (Austin and TJ). One or the other would have been perfect, but I understand that Cox was somewhat limited in his options to hire new assistants last Summer.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

They were only first-time assistants last year. I shared the concern about the staff for last season, but with last season behind I see no reason to change anything up. Both TJ and Carroll Jr are promising, in my opinion. And since the landscape is moving away from being able develop players, maybe developing assistant coaches can be a new market efficiency.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
Fixed it for you
If Bergeron is Shinebox Boy, Tom Moore is Smithers.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
3mm's
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by 3mm's »

I believe that Ram Band hit on Rhody's biggest problem. Cox is coaching with very little support from a coaching staff. Did he have any say in the half the coaches? What does Sutton do? The only thing I've heard is that he brought in Aris and he shakes hands in the runway. Carrol the elder is at present useless and held up the looking for a replacement. Carroll the younger was one of only a few people that could meet the requirements as the job was writing and also willing to leave a coaching job at the last minute because of the long delay in posting the Rhody job. I believe TJ is going to be a good one but he is new with a limited recruiting area base. He is the only one that will improve with time.
Who is our big man coach? Who has connections with the present day New England/New York Prep and AAU scene? Who was a coaching choice of Cox or was he forced into his staff?
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

TJ is responsible for Berry and Malik Martin signings.

Carroll will start to bear fruit soon.

I love the young hungry guys.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agree that Carroll and TJ have potential, but am concerned that we don't have a big man coach that can develop them.

Cyril never really learned how to make layups and put the ball on the floor too often, and JH has developed slower than hoped.

The twins and any additional big man recruits could use a solid teacher.

I think that's supposed to be Sutton's area of expertise, but haven't seen great results yet.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Personally, I don't think the Twins will cause Harris to lose minutes. I think he'll still get plenty at the PF spot instead of the center spot. Most of last year's starters played a lot of minutes last year and it was likely a bit too many in my opinion (not in Harris's case though). I think there is plenty of room for a 10 guy rotation where 5 players get 25 minutes a game and another 5 get 12 - 18 and a couple other young guys get 3 - 5 minutes a game.
I would hope that guys won't scrutinize their minutes if it means winning games & making the NCAA Tournament. Team first mentality is the way to go in my opinion. One or two guys won't win anything. It takes a full squad with great depth, like URI had when Terrel & Mathews, Jarvis, & Stan were here.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago They were only first-time assistants last year. I shared the concern about the staff for last season, but with last season behind I see no reason to change anything up. Both TJ and Carroll Jr are promising, in my opinion. And since the landscape is moving away from being able develop players, maybe developing assistant coaches can be a new market efficiency.
I agree.
For clarification purposes, my comments about our coaching staff is primarily directed towards Austin Jr. filling a "senior" type of assistant coach.

Let's look at his record at Arizona, 2014, 2015 graduate assistant, promoted to assistant director of basketball operations in 2016. In charge of video etc.

In 2018-19 he was promoted to assistant coach in mid season when Mark Phelps was terminated for NCAA violations. During the period of time from when he started with Arizona until this promotion he was not offered an assistant coach's position even after there was turnover of 5 assistant coaches. Certainly the fact that Sean Miller was not promoting him along the way, must say something.

Then we hire him as assistant coach, surely as part of the Carroll Sr "settlement"

This is not a "heavyweight" coach that a top 50 team should have. Cox can't do it all. By the way ,Justin Gainey who left Arizona assistant coach position for Marquette was reportedly getting paid $290K.
0 x