Jermaine Harris

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Re: Jermaine Harris

Unread post by The Dude »

I think the issue with Jermaine last year finally became apparent in the Dayton game (think it was Dayton...one of the games towards the end of the season at home). He was gassed after 5 minutes on the floor. Just doesn't have the cardio fitness. I saw flashes of him being able to dribble into the paint and finish. I saw flashes of focused defense "at times" (and not so much at others). I still think the 3 point shot is just a mental thing. He drains them with ridiculous consistency in warm ups.
I feel like if he can improve his cardio fitness, that it will help his whole game.
7 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It's time to increase ticket prices.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago We need to get/hire a big man coach to work with Harris and all our bigs next year.
It's critical for their development and our success. Then going
forward if the bigs we recruit see we actually invest in some
thing to help them develop and succeed they might even
come here. If it that means one of our existing assistants needs to
go then so be it.

OK, which assistant coach go first?
.......with all due respect to John Carroll for his longevity in the game etc......time to move on with all contractual obligations by the University.....get the big nan guru to start guruing ASAP....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Junior also?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

John Carroll is not an assistant coach, so parting ways with him would not free up an assistant slot. He's not allowed to recruit and I don't believe he's allowed to coach mid-game.

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2019-20/roster
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago John Carroll is not an assistant coach, so parting ways with him would not free up an assistant slot. He's not allowed to recruit and I don't believe he's allowed to coach mid-game.

But we are still paying, so that salary goes into the coaches pool.
2 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

McRam wrote: 4 years agoJunior also?
I think that’s right. Coach Cox clearly needs help. If you were at the last UMass away game you could see that he was exasperated and carrying the load with a huge assist from TJ. But clearly in the short time outs he can’t get to everyone who needs a coaching. It was frustrating for me to see how frustrated he was. I think he needs one more experienced guy with him, and not to belabor this, but an ARD-type.

As an aside, I’m here for the Go Fund Me as well.
4 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Are we sure Jermaine stays now with the addition of the Mitchell's... If he stays how does this affect Walker..
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I think this signing is actually a good thing for Jermaine. It allows him to play his more natural position and doesn't force him into becoming more of a Center which he is most certainly not.
I am also hoping that Cox has had conversations with him the past few days to give him an understanding of what this will look like going forward.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago I think this signing is actually a good thing for Jermaine. It allows him to play his more natural position and doesn't force him into becoming more of a Center which he is most certainly not.
I am also hoping that Cox has had conversations with him the past few days to give him an understanding of what this will look like going forward.
Completely agree with this. Playing next to these guys (and against them in practice) should only help Jermaine.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago Are we sure Jermaine stays now with the addition of the Mitchell's... If he stays how does this affect Walker..
Jermaine is friends with them. He liked their committed posts.
7 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago John Carroll is not an assistant coach, so parting ways with him would not free up an assistant slot. He's not allowed to recruit and I don't believe he's allowed to coach mid-game.

But we are still paying, so that salary goes into the coaches pool.
$25,000 isn’t making or breaking us. Staff evaluation is due though.
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years agoStaying.
How about now? After these last 4 days, his minutes could shrink considerably from what he might otherwise have expected.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

cRAM4finals wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years agoStaying.
How about now? After these last 4 days, his minutes could shrink considerably from what he might otherwise have expected.
He’s not threatened. Im not sure if he planned on leaving. But who knows, we’ve upgraded.
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Thanks. I hope he has a Fatts-like summer improvement regimen that he follows religiously. He needs to get serious about all areas of his game - and his strength and stamina. Although he may not be threatened, I sure hope he’s inspired by recent news.
0 x
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OhioRam32 »

cRAM4finals wrote: 4 years ago Thanks. I hope he has a Fatts-like summer improvement regimen that he follows religiously. He needs to get serious about all areas of his game - and his strength and stamina. Although he may not be threatened, I sure hope he’s inspired by recent news.
I hope so. He really has shown flashes of what people expected of him coming out of HS, he just really needs to become more consistent and conditioned, and in turn, confident. I just rewatched the OT win at Dayton from last year and early in the game, he had a drive a sky-hook that looked just like Kareem. Absolutely beautiful move and shot. He does that in many games early on, he will have 1 or 2 baskets and then becomes invisible the rest of the game offensively and the only other time we hear his name called is when he commits another foul. I definitely would contribute that to exhaustion. If he can become a player that is well conditioned, he will become that player we all hoped for. And imo, that jump needs to happen this year, not just for our own mental stability but for his own confidence, as well. I still have not lost faith, although I know plenty of folks have.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

IMO he won't lose any playing time at all. He and the twins share the two big spots. Not so sure about Walker.
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Problem is he really didn’t get much playing time last year. Actually got less than Antwan over the last 8 games. I assume he thought prior to today he would get 28 - 30 a game next year.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago IMO he won't lose any playing time at all. He and the twins share the two big spots. Not so sure about Walker.
I agree. The Twins will share the 5. Harris and Abou at the 4. Harris will play as much as his play will earn him. Move Walker to the 3 to back up Toppin with a little 4 mixed in. I think SF is more of his natural position anyway. Remember we lost both our other 3s. Throw Martin in the mix now and Cox will have plenty of options.

BIG line up here we come!!

Could also redshirt Abou if he was game for that. Who knows.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Is there truly a chance of Martin staying? Second thought- we will have a power 5 sized front court
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox needs to play the guys that deserve the minutes hopefully JH improves enough to warrants the minutes
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The kid is seeking more attention on IG.

It’s so annoying...if you gonna leave, just go. Don’t hold the program hostage.
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Or he is just reminiscing in quarantine right now and missing basketball.
5 x
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

I got a soft spot for him. I hope he stays, but I don't blame him for wanting to hear about transfer rules before deciding
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea I don’t see his posts as anything more than reminiscing on the season and bidding farewell to Jeff and Cyril with a few pictures.

Tons of college players post pictures on their pages / stories.

Update: just went back and saw two posts where he responded with ? and 🤷🏻‍♂️ to questions asking if he’ll be back at URI next year.

Pretty petty doing that.
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You guys looking at the questions he’s answering towards the end?

I don’t care about the photos, it’s after the photos is what I’m talking about.
1 x
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Ya he definitely hasn’t decided if he’s staying or going. Time will tell, Cox gotta re recruit.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If there is no new transfer rule, what a mess. I worry about Toppin staying if there is a new transfer rule because of the log jam at PF, and he is the future of our program. I predict that major roster changes are yet to come.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seems like he likes URI. Big 2 years ahead of him.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I can't find Harris' IG if someone can post a link?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

This stuff is funny. People throwing names out of hat of who will transfer next at this point. Since when were you the crystal ball predictor?

We have no idea how Jermaine feels right now. People throwing Toppin out have absolutely nothing to back that up with.

I do not blame Jermaine for putting no energy into those IG questions if it’s pure speculation and he doesn’t feel that way at all.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago This stuff is funny. People throwing names out of hat of who will transfer next at this point. Since when were you the crystal ball predictor?

We have no idea how Jermaine feels right now. People throwing Toppin out have absolutely nothing to back that up with.

I do not blame Jermaine for putting no energy into those IG questions if it’s pure speculation and he doesn’t feel that way at all.
Dude, you clearly aren’t reading what Jermaine is saying.

Someone asked him if he’s staying at URI? His answer was “hmmm”.

Why even entertain the bullshit?

It’s beyond annoying.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Why do people follow these kids on social media if the stuff they post bothers you so much? A bunch of adults bitching and hanging on every word college kids are doing online when nobody is forcing you to follow it. I hope he is doing it just to troll everybody. After most of the stuff fans have been saying about the kid for two years I wouldn't blame him.
8 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Why do people follow these kids on social media if the stuff they post bothers you so much? A bunch of adults bitching and hanging on every word college kids are doing online when nobody is forcing you to follow it. I hope he is doing it just to troll everybody. After most of the stuff fans have been saying about the kid for two years I wouldn't blame him.
At some point, accountability has to come into play.

But touché, to each his own.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Why do people follow these kids on social media if the stuff they post bothers you so much? A bunch of adults bitching and hanging on every word college kids are doing online when nobody is forcing you to follow it. I hope he is doing it just to troll everybody. After most of the stuff fans have been saying about the kid for two years I wouldn't blame him.

Can you explain? Are you saying Jermaine needs to be accountable for saying "Hmmmm" or did I miss what you are implying?
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago This stuff is funny. People throwing names out of hat of who will transfer next at this point. Since when were you the crystal ball predictor?

It’s beyond annoying.
I can completely see your prospective trust me. But what does he owe us? What does he owe the people that shit on him the entirety year? If Tress Berry taught us anything it’s not to jump to conclusions. That’s all.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Can you explain? Are you saying Jermaine needs to be accountable for saying "Hmmmm" or did I miss what you are implying?
You don’t agree that it looks or sounds bad from a fan or teammate perspective?

I’m open to being seen as “overreactive” here, especially since I’ve never shit on the kid, I just don’t understand why this would be considered “smart”.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago

It’s beyond annoying.
I can completely see your prospective trust me. But what does he owe us? What does he owe the people that shit on him the entirety year? If Tress Berry taught us anything it’s not to jump to conclusions. That’s all.
I can respect that.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I’m open to being seen as “overreactive” here, especially since I’ve never shit on the kid, I just don’t understand why this would be considered “smart”.
Not sure DC. I stopped trying to decipher what kids these days are saying online. Most of it is just gibberish. I like Jermaine. When I met him, I realized he is very, how can I say this, shy? Seems like a really nice young man and hope he sticks it out and plays to his potential.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not sure DC. I stopped trying to decipher what kids these days are saying online. Most of it is just gibberish. I like Jermaine. When I met him, I realized he is very, how can I say this, shy? Seems like a really nice young man and hope he sticks it out and plays to his potential.
I can respect that as well.

Maybe I have too much time hands as well lol
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I don't see the issue with us wondering why he is yet again mentioning to the world that he may be leaving. That should be behind closed doors between him and the team. He's public on IG so literally anyone can go see that.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

So someone asked him (he didn't willingly bring it up) if he was staying and Jermaine gave a coy/playful answer of "hmmm" and THAT is what we're using to claim that Jermaine is saying he may be leaving??? Evel Knievel couldn't even make that jump. It's been a long week and that enough internet for everyone. Let's log off and grab some friday beers and unwind.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

How about some accountability from the fans to?

People see stuff these guys post and immediately read between the lines, jump to conclusions and assume that they know exactly what the player meant based off of an emoji or a couple words. Then they quickly post it here and it takes on a mind and a meaning of its own and everyone runs with it, adding their own interpretations and rants about "kids these days" until it becomes a bigger thing then it needs to be.

Harris very well may transfer eventually, but let's worry about that when an announcement is made.
8 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This will be interesting if the new rule passes and JH does transfer out then we can just get a grad transfer in who is at least as good as JH that wouldn’t be a bad trade off
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

We used to keep stuff behind closed doors because we had no choice! It was a big deal to be invited to WRIU for a shoutout, get a column in the 5 Cent Cigar or have some method of being heard by the community. Nowadays kids can interact with a whole slew of people they never met, and we all take it as if the YOUNG (emphasis) man is talking directly to our very souls. Before but now especially with the virus a lot of "hanging out time" is done on social media, and all of us say some silly crap during our hang out times. As a matter of fact I was just on a happy hour on Zoom amongst coworkers and we were trolling each other with background images and whatnot.

Jermaine's and any other player's service to the school is at practices and games working hard. Apart from that it is their time to do what they want, and I for one am not going to take anything literally. Because my hours out of the classroom were not always pristine and I was not constantly praising the university, my peers in class, professors, etc., and I'm damn happy facebook was not around at that time!
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......where is Thursday’s with Morey when we need him......?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Correct me if i'm wrong but when someone asks you if you're staying somewhere and you respond with 🤷‍♂️ doesn't that mean I don't know?

After what he posted two weeks ago and now this I don't get why we can't speculate on a freaking message board.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A commitment means a commitment. Time money blood sweat and tears go into recruiting and coaching a player. Why the F are these kids messing around. Have some decency and respect. Harris has a great spot here going forward. Cmon.
0 x
GO RAMS
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I hope Harris stays. In my opinion, if I had to take a decent guess, I'd say this is what players like Harris are probably having a hard time understanding about this fan base:

We see he's struggled a bit and we point his flaws because we had high hopes for him & still do. I feel like we're a "tough love" type of group. In my opinion, his struggles seem to be a mental thing. I think he has talent. He could use to improve his cardio fitness, so he can be on the court more without getting exhausted after 5 minutes.
I think what Harris and players need to understand is that we're one big dysfunctional family that is passionate about Rhody basketball. We're critical of how players are developing because we want to see them do well and make the NCAA Tournament. We're also rabidly supportive of loyal players who have a never say die attitude when they are on the court and bleed Keaney blue through & through despite some talent/performance shortcomings. Cyril wasn't a prototypical center, but he worked hard, honed his skills, & never took a play off. He fought for every inch. I mean, we kept thinking he had butter fingers on easy passes in the lane up until his senior year, yet we still loved him for his commitment & determination to persevere, in my opinion.
Did TJ score 20+ points a night? Nope, but we love & have an eternal respect fo him for his attitude and fight.
Did Xavier Munford take us to the NCAA Tournament? Nope, but he laid the groundwork for the program and always gave it his all when he was on the floor. He competed. Every play.
I know some may have cringed a bit when Harris drove to the lane a couple times against Dayton (I think it was that game), but I was super happy when he did it. I was not only happy to see him competing a bit harder, but also I was happy for him because to me it showed he was beginning to change his mentality from one of a bystander to one of a competitor and he seemed to have made up his mind to just "F" it, in some respect, and just start taking it to the opposition. He was committed. He was determined. He was fighting back.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Harris doesn't lose his starting job, in my opinion. So, I'm not really sure what the motive to leave would be.

Makhi and Harris coexisting on the court would be kinda/sorta like Odom and Clay. It didn't work out as good as you would have hoped on paper, but they still won an A-10 Tourney Title and went to the NCAA.

Makhi would be the most highly rated recruit on the team, and most highly rated overall after Fatts.

I don't think the expectation with the twins and their mom is that they are going to automatically displace current starters. But Harris is only one man, and their are at least two frontcourt positions. Obviously, if Makhi wasn't starting in the vacant one, that would be a wtf thing to just about everyone involved.

I think we see Makhi and Makhel on the court together when Harris is subbed out.

Until proven wrong, I think Harris's comment is him trying to ignore a silly question and nothing more. Some things, you shouldn't ask point blank to a player, and they have the right to avoid the question.
2 x