Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's fine that he says that's his goal. Someone try and convince me that even though Jared Terrell, who is more talented and has much more drive and determination, can't stay in the NBA , but Tyrese Martin can.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CTRamfan wrote: 4 years ago In the Hartford Courant this morning.

Martin in an interview yesterday, stated......................"Hurley called me OFTEN"

Here is the Hartford Courant Article. To be fair, Hurley called Tyrese about things other than basketball.

“I was hearing from him often,” Martin said. "Even when it wasn’t about basketball, he was just concerned about my family and he always talked about helping me be a better person. Things like that stick out the most to me. He wasn’t just worried about the basketball aspect of a kid.”

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-me ... story.html
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

CTRamfan wrote: 4 years ago In the Hartford Courant this morning.

Martin in an interview yesterday, stated......................"Hurley called me OFTEN"
If this was before Martin was in the portal then it is tampering. I'm not surprised UConn would pull this crap, but DH should be ashamed of himself.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, and when Calhoun was showing up at our practices, I'm sure he was just there to ask Dan about some good restaurants in the area.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If the rule doesn"t pass and Tyrese applies for a waiver to play right away, I would loooooove to see how Hurley and UConn spinzone it to make it sound like Tyrese should be eligible immediately.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Can we please stop being so whiny and naive about all this. Its such a bad look for the fanbase.
4 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I think it's absurd how some folks are questioning Tyrese's drive and determination. Nobody knows him personally here (obviously myself included) - so how the hell would you know that Tyrese doesn't have the drive and determination that Jared Terrell did, aside from the fact that Jared wore his emotions on his sleeve on the court and Tyrese doesn't? Just absurd.

Also, no one is trying to say that Tyrese is a better NBA prospect than Jared was. But some folks were acting like Tyrese is stupid and delusional for having that goal.
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago If the rule doesn"t pass and Tyrese applies for a waiver to play right away, I would loooooove to see how Hurley and UConn spinzone it to make it sound like Tyrese should be eligible immediately.
Probably the same way that Cox would try to spin it for the Mitchell's and Malik.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago If the rule doesn"t pass and Tyrese applies for a waiver to play right away, I would loooooove to see how Hurley and UConn spinzone it to make it sound like Tyrese should be eligible immediately.
Probably the same way that Cox would try to spin it for the Mitchell's and Malik.
Nah, Cox would probably try to spin it with the twins that they were forced out, almost suspended, etc. Nothing of the sort can be said about Tyrese.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago I think it's absurd how some folks are questioning Tyrese's drive and determination. Nobody knows him personally here (obviously myself included) - so how the hell would you know that Tyrese doesn't have the drive and determination that Jared Terrell did, aside from the fact that Jared wore his emotions on his sleeve on the court and Tyrese doesn't? Just absurd.

Also, no one is trying to say that Tyrese is a better NBA prospect than Jared was. But some folks were acting like Tyrese is stupid and delusional for having that goal.
I see it with my 2 eyes. Jared Terrell never took an offensive or especially, a defensive possession off.
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Then we saw different things, Billyboy - or rather, you feel more comfortable making inferences about someone's personality traits based upon how they express emotion on a basketball court.

There were some things for sure that I wish Tyrese did differently on the court (make a couple more 3s would've been nice, pass a bit more on the break) - but isn't one of the most overused basketball axioms about how rebounding is about desire and who wants the ball more? Tyrese is objectively a great rebounder. He wouldn't have gotten to be that way if he was as constantly disinterested and such a slacker as some here are making him out to be.

I think it's unknowable (and thus absurd to question) if Tyrese gave his best at all times. We also don't know that Jared did do that. We just remember his demonstrative moments because he frequently did act that way on the court.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago NBA? Really?
I posted Tyrese's comments with the intention of getting discussion on the important points Tyrese made. His goal of the NBA was NOT one of them, so I think you are off the mark here which is the case with others.

The salient point is not whether Tyrese is NBA material or not, but in his opinion he could get the resources and help to make that transition at UConn and NOT URI. Funny how threads get derailed.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago Then we saw different things, Billyboy - or rather, you feel more comfortable making inferences about someone's personality traits based upon how they express emotion on a basketball court.

There were some things for sure that I wish Tyrese did differently on the court (make a couple more 3s would've been nice, pass a bit more on the break) - but isn't one of the most overused basketball axioms about how rebounding is about desire and who wants the ball more? Tyrese is objectively a great rebounder. He wouldn't have gotten to be that way if he was as constantly disinterested and such a slacker as some here are making him out to be.

I think it's unknowable (and thus absurd to question) if Tyrese gave his best at all times. We also don't know that Jared did do that. We just remember his demonstrative moments because he frequently did act that way on the court.
Jared worked his ass off on defense. I can say that with 100% confidence. I have as much confidence saying that Tyrese often did not.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This thread is embarrassing. Some of you sound like jilted teenage lovers instead of grown adults.
7 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Jared worked his ass off on defense. I can say that with 100% confidence. I have as much confidence saying that Tyrese often did not.
Jared was a great defender - for sure. Probably much of it due to effort and desire. Definitely a better defender than Tyrese.

Tyrese - average defender in my book. Was it because he didn't try or took possessions off? I can't speak to that. Just as likely (more likely) to me it's because he lacked the lateral quickness and footspeed that Jared had, or had a lower basketball IQ and got caught off-guard by cuts more frequently. Those things fall into the "skill" bucket and not the "Drive and Determination" bucket.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Lets close this.
3 x
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

And everyone lived happily ever after.

The End.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Shut it down!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Wait! Whay if Tyrese decides to come back?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Maybe I need to read this thread again, but i'm not sure I'm getting that people are questioning whether Tyrese himself has NBA aspirations (even though he clearly just stated that in the Courant piece), in fact I'd expect every D1 athlete to have similar aspirations, i'd question their desire if they didn't. However, just because Tyrese has NBA aspirations doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to give opinions of why he wont sniff the NBA. Your not going to find many 6'6" guards on NBA rosters who cant shoot or pass or guard on every possession, i'm also fairly certain that his strength of crashing the boards will be somewhat negated by playing against bigger players (even in the BE). Look, this is not to bash on Tyrese, I really wish he stayed at URI, he's a nice player for an A10 level team and I wish him all the best at UConn, but his ceiling for pro ball will be overseas at best.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I gave my opinion on why I didn't think he's an NBA player and not even close to the player that Jared Terrell is. Because of that, I'm a 'jilted lover'. I thought these boards were to discuss things like this. He has the right to transfer. I'm fine with that and never said i wasn't. I guess I should just keep my opinion to myself.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

As I said the vitriol is understandable he went over to URI public enemy no 2.

I strongly disagree with many takes here regarding T Martin skill set and overall performance believing he had a very high ceiling at URI with potential to develop into a all time great Ram. A lot of posters that I highly respect like Billyboy78 see it differently which I find interesting.

A top URI student athlete going to hated uConn has kicked this thread into overdrive. Only a transfer to PC (and maybe ASU) would have compared.

The level of unhappiness is expected. As a kid I might have hated uConn even more than PC.

Let it run, the hate is completely justified.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I just hope UCoNN sucks again this year
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

If we get Fatts back and everyone is eligible we may be better than this year
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Questioning whether he is good enough for NBA = fair
Questioning his ambitions to be an NBA player = weak sauce

Also evaluating a player after their sophomore year is littered with flaws. Players improve, get better awareness and bball IQ, hone their skills. What can't change, for the most part, are their physical attributes. Tyrese is a strong 6'6" with above average athleticism. To say he has no chance is disingenuous or just dumb. Will be a great case study in talent development - 2 years with Cox, 2 years with Hurley. Let's revisit in couple years.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Can we please stop being so whiny and naive about all this. Its such a bad look for the fanbase.
Whiny? We’re in the same state as the mental hospital, so don’t confuse us with them.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I just read the NCAA's rules on a coach from another school contacting a player in a four year program.

The only way Hurley could contact Martin is if Martin had given him written permission on an NCAA form. If the contact was made without Martin's written permission it is a violation.........this also applies to family contact.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

CTRamfan wrote: 4 years ago I just read the NCAA's rules on a coach from another school contacting a player in a four year program.

The only way Hurley could contact Martin is if Martin had given him written permission on an NCAA form. If the contact was made without Martin's written permission it is a violation.........this also applies to family contact.
Thanks for the rule explanation BUT

Do you really believe that the UConn family plays by the rules?? (see Dan Hurley, Jason Adams, Tom Moore) etc etc
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
CTRamfan wrote: 4 years ago I just read the NCAA's rules on a coach from another school contacting a player in a four year program.

Do you really believe that the UConn family plays by the rules?? (see Dan Hurley, Jason Adams, Tom Moore) etc etc
Or...that Tyrese (or any player) would rat out a tamperer?
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

If CTRamfan is correct, i would imagine that any written permission would have to be filed with the NCAA. So if Tyrese is already admitting that Dan contacted him often, it should take just a simple check with the NCAA to verify that permission was granted.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

If CTRamfan is correct, i would imagine that any written permission would have to be filed with the NCAA. So if Tyrese is already admitting that Dan contacted him often, it should take just a simple check with the NCAA to verify that permission was granted.
OK...so...who presses that investigation? URI? Kinda don't think so....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OK...so...who presses that investigation? URI? Kinda don't think so....
I thought the school had to give permission? So why did URI give permission?

I think is absurd to think coaches cannot talk to players they have known for many years and even recruited said player to URI. How is it even legal? Can he send a Christmas or Birthday card? Only in NCAA does this happen.

Don’t know why so many are upset over possible tampering when it sounds like most did not like Tyrese anyway. Surprising to me because I thought he was liked as a player here. I wish he had stayed but it’s a new college Basketball world. Mid major basketball is in for a rough next 5 years
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, I gave my opinion on why I didn't think he's an NBA player and not even close to the player that Jared Terrell is. Because of that, I'm a 'jilted lover'. I thought these boards were to discuss things like this. He has the right to transfer. I'm fine with that and never said i wasn't. I guess I should just keep my opinion to myself.
Terrell is a bit undersized and not really quick enough for the NBA. He's also not a good enough shooter to overcome those issues. If you compare Terrell's and Martin's sophomore seasons by the numbers, they're really not that much different so Martin does have time to improve on things.

Also NBA potential doesn't necessarily line up with how someone plays in college. Toppin probably has more NBA potential than Fatts strictly due to his size, length, and athleticism.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Martin on Hurley:

Tyrese Martin on Hurley

“I was hearing from him often,” Martin said. "Even when it wasn’t about basketball, he was just concerned about my family and he always talked about helping me be a better person. Things like that stick out the most to me. He wasn’t just worried about the basketball aspect of a kid.”

I’m sure Hurley probably let Cox know what was going on and probably spun it that I won’t do anything if it hurts our relationship, etc. Cox probably said don’t worry about it. Who knows how long they have been talking. You would think during the season Hurley would be e we worried about his team or players that were recruits or on the transfer portal already.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

C’mon, let’s not be naive. Tyrese did not play for Hurley. He was recruited by Hurley, that’s it. Was he even on campus when Hurley was there? What kind of relationship did they build that Hurley was “concerned for his family” so much that he was calling all the time?

I call absolute BS on this. Any respect that I had for Hurley is GONE! He plain old groomed and poached him, that’s all.
6 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It's a strange world we live in when college basketball coaches need burner phones (like drug dealers) so their phone records can not implicate them.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like ramster has said, tampering is everywhere, and cannot possibly be monitored or controlled.

With the new rule, it will become even more prevalent.

Who's to say we don't do it? Like I said, if you're not cheating, you're not trying!
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Will be interesting to see if Martin starts at UConn. He’ll have Bouknight and Andre Jackson at the 2-3 to compete for minutes with for the next few years. Both highly touted 4 stars.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Will be interesting to see if Martin starts at UConn. He’ll have Bouknight and Andre Jackson at the 2-3 to compete for minutes with for the next few years. Both highly touted 4 stars.
I’d say Tyrese has the edge over an unproven freshman at this point.

Bouknight will obviously start.
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Will be interesting to see if Martin starts at UConn. He’ll have Bouknight and Andre Jackson at the 2-3 to compete for minutes with for the next few years. Both highly touted 4 stars.

Don't be surprised if Hurley uses Martin as the" big" forward with three guards on the floor with him. Martin can rebound with most "4s"
and think of the problem that Martin will cause when the typical "4" tries to guard him. This fits with Hurley's general approach.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

That unproven freshman (Jackson) is really, really good. Slighter than Tyrese, but jumps through the roof and good passer and scorer.
There is also Tyler Polley, a 6'7" wing who shoots 3s and plays D. Still doesn't make sense that he went there unless he truly is ok playing a lesser role but on a team with a higher ceiling.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Andre Jackson did not go to UConn to play behind Tyrese Martin. He's an absolute stud.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Andre Jackson did not go to UConn to play behind Tyrese Martin. He's an absolute stud.
And I’m sure Tyrese didn’t go to UConn to be a bench player.

It’ll be a battle for sure.
0 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Tyrese Martin to Transfer

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Except Ryan Preston was worried about his professional career because he was a senior and not getting PT. I think his concern about “family” was that the staff was not worried about what Ryan was doing next year but what the program was doing next year. Tyrese was given the keys to become the star. Jeff, Cyril and Fatts have just outshined him so far.m, but he got the minutes.
Ryan also had off the court issues, how quickly We forget about his suspension.
His suspension was for calling out the coaches for lack of playing time publicly
Nah.... he did something else too....
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Tyrese was gonna go to the movies, but then he got high.
He was gonna work on that team building sheet, but then he got high.

Now, he'll be riding the pine at UConn, and he knows why... (why, man?)

yada da da, yada da da, da da da DAAAaaaaaaaa
That is the most excellent play on lyrics I’ve seen in a LONG time 😂
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I actually asked a question, stevie.

I asked "what season was that?' I don't recall the article saying it was his first year. Of course, I skimmed through it because it was a load of ____, but I digress.

My point is, this COMPLAINT is something he has been holding onto since before the start of this season, no?
Actually, if it was from his Freshman year, that makes it even worse. He’s been holding on to the fact that he didn’t like the fact that TJ invited the team to go to the movies, after they lost 2 games in a row!! Why, was he going to hit the gym and shoot shots all night like Jeff would have done? From a kid that spent his nights off on Federal Hill in hookah bars instead of in the gym. Give me a break.

There’s no way he was hitting the gym from a random Marriott..
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, and when Calhoun was showing up at our practices, I'm sure he was just there to ask Dan about some good restaurants in the area.
Calhoun has a house in South County.
0 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

Yes he does in Charlestown, but he was at 4 practices, but who cares now. Hurley left and we have moved on. Nothing we can do about the past or the asshole Calhoun. Trust me Danny is already feeling the heat in CT. My boss has had season tickets to UConn for years and Calhoun sits next to him for the few games each year that he goes too. Calhoun of course likes Dan a lot, but my boss hears all the people who come up to speak to him when he is at the games. People are getting antsy with Dan and the last 5 minutes of must games the fans are complaining about Dan's coaching. Calhoun tells them to give it time, but many of them are not happy. I would say 2 years from now if the program is still struggling then they can complain and Dan could be in for a tough time
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

WIth all the butthurtness going on in this thread - I will once again pose this question, which is the most important of all.

What are we not doing to keep players around?

I don't care about where players go, what relationships they have...whatever. We need to answer 2 questions for our program moving forward:

What are we not doing as well as other programs?
What can we do to make URI a destination?

Otherwise this bitching is just awful to read. It makes this fanbase look naive and childish.

Why doesn't a starting player feel like he can make the NBA after playing at URI?

Is it the conference?
Is it the TV time?
Is it the NCAA prospects?
Is it the facilities?
Is it the schedules?
Is it the travel perks?
Is it the staff?
Is it the attendance?
Is it the crowd?
Is it the school itself?

Whatever it is - THESE should be the questions we ask ourselves on this board.

Martin is gone. He's a UConn. Why the hell we're sifting through he said/she said and crying tampering without any context...INSTEAD of asking those above questions about ourselves is the problem.

I've NEVER seen an underclassmen starter leave URI to transfer somewhere else. Someone more seasoned than I could probably lend their memory to this, but since I can recall (figure late Penders/early Skinner) I don't EVER remember losing a key piece with a defined role here.

Sure the sport landscape has changed with transfers...Hurley never lost a starter. Baron never lost a starter. Jerry D. Harrick. Skinner. I don't ever remember that happening.

WHY now. We SHOULD be in a high enough level conference, competing for an NCAA spot, with enough nationally relevant games to help our players get to the next level if they're capable.

That's what I want to know. What are we lacking in and why aren't we upping our investment to correct those issues. THAT should be the echo-chamber on this board right now. Demanding accountability for our own failings as a program, and wondering how things have improved or not based on our first NCAA credits to come into this program in almost 2 decades.

Where has that money gone? How has it improved the basketball program? How has it helped our student athletes and coaches?

If we don't address those problems, Rese will only be the first of many to continue to rotate around and through here.

Correct our own problems before we start bitching like jilted teenage lovers.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Preach Blue man! That's what I have been asking. What went wrong. There is obviously wrong with a program when one of your top 2 players returning leaves. He didn't like the school? Didnt like the Coaches? Didn't like standing in the corner for most of the game watching Fatts and know there was more of that coming this year? Didn't think he had everything he needed here to succeed?

There has to be a reason. And going back to your question, I can't remember anyone else ever doing it since the 80's. Now Jerry D years had kids who were probably asked to leave for a few different reasons but not that left on their own.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano