Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody78 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody78 wrote: 4 years ago Please let it go everyone. I think everyone is missing the point the we may be better off with the exchange of Martins'. I would just look at the numbers take everything else out of it, The Martin we got is better at the following: Ball Security, Shooting(FT, 2pg, 3pg), Defense, Offensive efficiency,& Attitude and all these are not even close. We probably got an upgrade at the position plus we create more minutes for Toppin who has a much higher ceiling. All I am saying we want players who want to be here and the exchange we made will not have any negative effect, and it could very well have a positive one chill!!
We are not even close being better off with Malik than Tyrese.

Are you taking crazy pills?

Please let me know why you feel that way give me some facts and data not unsupported comments. I have no problem with you not agreeing but lets see some supporting facts!!

By your argument, any player who put up better percentage numbers than Tyrese in a lower conference would be better for us?

There's a reason why Tyrese had a bunch of P5 schools after him, and Malik's best choice was us.

Nobody in their right mind should want Malik Martin over Tyrese Martin.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Rhody78 wrote: 4 years ago Please let it go everyone. I think everyone is missing the point the we may be better off with the exchange of Martins'. I would just look at the numbers take everything else out of it, The Martin we got is better at the following: Ball Security, Shooting(FT, 2pg, 3pg), Defense, Offensive efficiency,& Attitude and all these are not even close. We probably got an upgrade at the position plus we create more minutes for Toppin who has a much higher ceiling. All I am saying we want players who want to be here and the exchange we made will not have any negative effect, and it could very well have a positive one chill!!

Please let me know why you feel that way give me some facts and data not unsupported comments. I have no problem with you not agreeing but lets see some supporting facts!!
If you look at every career statistic Malik > Tyrese san rebounding, in addition to being a much better defender!!! WE WILL BE FINE!!!
1 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

By your argument, any player who put up better percentage numbers than Tyrese in a lower conference would be better for us?

There's a reason why Tyrese had a bunch of P5 schools after him, and Malik's best choice was us.

Ok lets compare head to head look it up how did that work out!!!
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Again no fact comparison nice argument!!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I guess we shall see.

I like that Malik is as tall now as Hassan is, mix in guard skills and a shot, get even 80% of Hass' intensity and bam! we have a winner. Not comparing him to Hass and no unrealistic expectations, just sayin he's got to have some of the same intensity.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm not going to go back and fourth with someone who is just flat out wrong.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If you look at every career statistic Malik > Tyrese san rebounding, in addition to being a much better defender!!! WE WILL BE FINE!!!
Tyrese averaged more minutes, shots, points, rebounds, assists in a better conference.

Put Tyrese in CUSA and he probably averages close to 20 and 10.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Guys, let's move on from Tyrese Martin. He is replaceable. Go Rhody!
6 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Right. Please let this thread die
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I think the jury is out on who of you guys is right. Let's see how it ages and leave it at that for now?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Malik won by a landslide.

I suggest people actually watch his highlights with Charlotte.

There really is little difference if any.

It really does work out better for us. Malik is just about as good. Better defender and shooter for sure. Also I saw him pass in transition.
Toppin has a higher ceiling, get him minutes.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jeff Borzello ranks Tyrese as the 5th best sit out transfer, while ranking Malik 44th, FWIW.

Again, there's a reason Tyrese was getting recruited by Top 25 programs, and Malik"s choice was Rhody.
0 x
Go Rhody
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Listen, we could go ALL DAY with the comparisons on Tyrese vs Malik

I am siding with Rhody15, Rese is flat out the better player...to me (sorry to the others saying Malik is straight up better) but this sounds like sour grapes and and you have Keaney Blue blinders on. I think DC Rams said it earlier, its a bad break up and most of us after a bad break up have nothing but negative things to say about the ex.

With that said, I do think by adding Malik we add a better team player (not better scorer or rebounder), but a contributor and also a hustle guy (its in the genes from Hassan). I also can see him gelling with the guys quickly on the current roster.

I'm very happy with getting Malik, but Rese was probably going to be an All A10 selection the next two years. Can anyone say confidently that Mailk would would do the same? (outside of making All Defensive in the A10)
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago Listen, we could go ALL DAY with the comparisons on Tyrese vs Malik

I am siding with Rhody15, Rese is flat out the better player...to me (sorry to the others saying Malik is straight up better) but this sounds like sour grapes and and you have Keaney Blue blinders on. I think DC Rams said it earlier, its a bad break up and most of us after a bad break up have nothing but negative things to say about the ex.

With that said, I do think by adding Malik we add a better team player (not better scorer or rebounder), but a contributor and also a hustle guy (its in the genes from Hassan). I also can see him gelling with the guys quickly on the current roster.

I'm very happy with getting Malik, but Rese was probably going to be an All A10 selection the next two years. Can anyone say confidently that Mailk would would do the same? (outside of making All Defensive in the A10)
Yeah - I think you can make a nuanced argument that Malik is a better fit, in that late-career Ray Allen was perfect for the Miami Heat. But while I think he might have been an awkward fit next to Fatts for his junior year, I definitely wanted Tyrese's senior year to be for URI.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Cox did a decent job replacing Martin with Martin...

Don’t really care to compare but a solid swap IMO. Now get me that player who can come off a top of the key pick and knock down the deep ball.

This thread is fine in my view. Opinions with vitriol and angst are completely valid, hey it’s what we do.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Thoughts on Tyrese:
1) Thought he was really valuable for us last year and was looking forward to seeing him grow. We saw Fatts take a leap in efficiency from Soph-Jr year and was hoping for something similar from Tyrese.
2) I think it's strange for some folks to dismiss how some of his stats came back off put-backs, as if that doesn't take skill and effort.
3) I think folks complaining about his on-court demeanor is silly. Not everyone is an Aaron Craft / Jon Scheyer floor-slapper, and not all players have their "effort" as visible as a TJ Buchanan. That doesn't mean they aren't intense, and it doesn't mean they don't give effort. I never questioned those things with Tyrese.
4) Yes, I did wish he would pass sometimes on fast breaks.
5) Seems kinda self-deprecating for people to say that he won't amount to much at UConn. I think our program is at the point now where a very good player on a good URI team (which we were) will be more than a 10-15 minutes per game player at UConn. I expect him to do well there.

Thoughts on UConn/Hurley
1) Was disappointed Hurley initially left for UConn. I think he's a great program-builder and very good coach, was sad to see him go but didn't feel "betrayed" like some here. I would always expect coaches/athletes to make the best moves for their careers, and that's what Hurley thought he was doing. Did leaving Wagner display a "lack of loyalty" when he came here?
2) No issues whatsoever with Tyrese choosing to join Hurley. They're just another school, clearly a step up from us in a facilities standpoint, and familiarity with the coach is a big deal.
3) I think it's really silly when people say that Tyrese isn't a Hurley-type player. Pretty sure Dan knows what he's looking for better than any of us. He recruited him out of HS, and scholarships are gold. He wouldn't waste one on a player he thought wouldn't fit his system.

Overall, sad he's gone, think it was kinda bush-league some of his comments since leaving, but college kids say and do stupid shit every now and again. Not holding it against him.
6 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will throw in my two cents...

...I remember a 3rd rate NFL coach who took his team en masse to see the movie "The Fighter"....what an unqualified idiot....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago Thoughts on Tyrese:
1) Thought he was really valuable for us last year and was looking forward to seeing him grow. We saw Fatts take a leap in efficiency from Soph-Jr year and was hoping for something similar from Tyrese.
2) I think it's strange for some folks to dismiss how some of his stats came back off put-backs, as if that doesn't take skill and effort.
3) I think folks complaining about his on-court demeanor is silly. Not everyone is an Aaron Craft / Jon Scheyer floor-slapper, and not all players have their "effort" as visible as a TJ Buchanan. That doesn't mean they aren't intense, and it doesn't mean they don't give effort. I never questioned those things with Tyrese.
4) Yes, I did wish he would pass sometimes on fast breaks.
5) Seems kinda self-deprecating for people to say that he won't amount to much at UConn. I think our program is at the point now where a very good player on a good URI team (which we were) will be more than a 10-15 minutes per game player at UConn. I expect him to do well there.

Thoughts on UConn/Hurley
1) Was disappointed Hurley initially left for UConn. I think he's a great program-builder and very good coach, was sad to see him go but didn't feel "betrayed" like some here. I would always expect coaches/athletes to make the best moves for their careers, and that's what Hurley thought he was doing. Did leaving Wagner display a "lack of loyalty" when he came here?
2) No issues whatsoever with Tyrese choosing to join Hurley. They're just another school, clearly a step up from us in a facilities standpoint, and familiarity with the coach is a big deal.
3) I think it's really silly when people say that Tyrese isn't a Hurley-type player. Pretty sure Dan knows what he's looking for better than any of us. He recruited him out of HS, and scholarships are gold. He wouldn't waste one on a player he thought wouldn't fit his system.

Overall, sad he's gone, think it was kinda bush-league some of his comments since leaving, but college kids say and do stupid shit every now and again. Not holding it against him.
Please stop polluting this board with your rational takes.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago Thoughts on UConn/Hurley
It wasn't that Hurley left, it was where he went (there's only one place that would have been worse) and the shady circumstances surrounding his departure.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Who has done less for URI - Dave Gavitt or Jim Calhoun?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dave Gavitt
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Let’s close this topic and move on.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It is not clear if Martin intends to try to get eligible for the 2020-21 season or sit out a year. The NCAA is looking to change its transfer rules so players would get a one-time chance to transfer without sitting out a season. That rule was expected to be enacted this spring but there is concern now that, if approved, it may not go into effect until the 2021-22 season.

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

While we all hate Dave Gavitt for very good reasons, it wasn't his job to help URI. The question should really be, who screwed URI over more, Dave Gavitt or Jim Calhoun. And it's a good question. I still say Gavitt, but it's close. Remember, Calhoun talked up Jerry Duh to the URI powers that be and it helped that disastrous hire go through. Calhoun was probably thinking "I can't believe those idiots listened to me." I don't blame Calhoun for that - he saw a potential threat to his New England dominance and saw an opportunity to nip in the bud. Then Calhoun showing up at URI practices and Moore being an assistant certainly helped pave the way for DH to go to UConn.

Still, the biggest obstacle to Rhody's success has been themselves. Every time they had a chance to up their game they've shot themselves in the foot instead. Penders and DH both ultimately left due to lack of support. If they make all the offers after the 2017 season (a year earlier), I think he stays or at least it makes it very difficult for him to move on if he can build a true brand instead of bringing back someone else's. Remember in the mid 80s, UConn and URI were equivalent. Then the school decided to invest in men's basketball. It wasn't just hiring Calhoun, it was putting a program in place that led them to what they are. Until URI is willing to do that, we are only going to see pockets of success followed by mediocrity.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......amen......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In contrasting the importance of rebounding and scoring efficiency, I come down on the side of scoring efficiency any day.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Jeff Borzello ranks Tyrese as the 5th best sit out transfer, while ranking Malik 44th, FWIW.

Again, there's a reason Tyrese was getting recruited by Top 25 programs, and Malik"s choice was Rhody.
Tyrese is a good, sometimes great offensive player. He rebounds well for a guard/wing.

Does he distribute? Nope
Does he defend? Nope
Does he do the little things you love in a player like Malik? Absolutely not.

Tyrese Martin is 100% more talented that Malik. I prefer the guy that wins 50/50 balls, takes charges, and makes a difference on both ends of the court.

Malik will bleed Rhody blue and do whatever it takes to win for this program. Just like his brother.

See ya Tyrese and good luck.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I my mind I think Malik is more than a suitable replacement for Tyrese.

Comparing....Better and more efficient shooter...Malik

Better defender....Malik

Better FT shooter...Malik

Yes Tyrese wins the rebounding debate, but....

If Malik gets more minutes I think those numbers will be comparable also.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

It's about balance... we all like hustle players but teams can still balance out a team of grit (+ defenders who dive for loose balls, take charges) with more talented, offensive-centric guys. There are a lot of very good NBA players who don't play much defense and don't dive/take charges, but can stuff a stat sheet by scoring, and maybe grabbing some rebounds, and be key pieces on good teams. The difference is that they get surrounded by some of those gritty guys who make those plays. I don't think you can win with a team of just grit just like I don't think you can win on a team with just talent. Basketball is a two-way sport (can't just beat teams 50-49 every night or 99-98), and you need to have guys with the talent, guys with the grit, and guys who do both. Not everyone can do both at a high level (too much energy spent).
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan's teams here won with both, but it took a while.

We can't recruit a ton of talent, we need the gritty type too.

Tyrese has more talent, Malik has more grit.

I think that's what Cox is beginning to realize he needs here. Some talent, some glue guys.

Team players. Tyrese wasn't.

Maybe Dan thinks he'll become that at UConn. Good luck.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago It's about balance... we all like hustle players but teams can still balance out a team of grit (+ defenders who dive for loose balls, take charges) with more talented, offensive-centric guys. There are a lot of very good NBA players who don't play much defense and don't dive/take charges, but can stuff a stat sheet by scoring, and maybe grabbing some rebounds, and be key pieces on good teams. The difference is that they get surrounded by some of those gritty guys who make those plays. I don't think you can win with a team of just grit just like I don't think you can win on a team with just talent. Basketball is a two-way sport (can't just beat teams 50-49 every night or 99-98), and you need to have guys with the talent, guys with the grit, and guys who do both. Not everyone can do both at a high level (too much energy spent).
Yes of course you need both. This is about Martin and Martin. Malik will bring something to the table that this team desperately needs. I think he can help this roster more than a guy like Tyrese.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Lotta revisionist history in this thread...
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Lotta revisionist history in this thread...
In BOTH directions, I might add.

I guess if you were never critical of Tyrese when he actually played for this team, it's easy for you to remember him as "guaranteed ALL Atlantic-10 first team Junior and Senior year" and just an all out superman on the court of superior athletic ability and talent.

Let's see how he actually pans out at UConn over the next three years.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago It's about balance... we all like hustle players but teams can still balance out a team of grit (+ defenders who dive for loose balls, take charges) with more talented, offensive-centric guys. There are a lot of very good NBA players who don't play much defense and don't dive/take charges, but can stuff a stat sheet by scoring, and maybe grabbing some rebounds, and be key pieces on good teams. The difference is that they get surrounded by some of those gritty guys who make those plays. I don't think you can win with a team of just grit just like I don't think you can win on a team with just talent. Basketball is a two-way sport (can't just beat teams 50-49 every night or 99-98), and you need to have guys with the talent, guys with the grit, and guys who do both. Not everyone can do both at a high level (too much energy spent).
Yes of course you need both. This is about Martin and Martin. Malik will bring something to the table that this team desperately needs. I think he can help this roster more than a guy like Tyrese.
Agreed. If Malik plays with even half the heart and determination that Hass played with then we're in good shape. He brings some of the intangibles that you're not getting with Tyrese, and he's much better defensively which is something we desperately need, especially when you consider the departures of Cyril and Jeff.

Tyrese was a fantastic rebounder. Always in great position for offensive boards and easy put-backs. That aspect of his game will be sorely missed. And he could hit the occasional three, but was generally a very inconsistent shooter. Hitting 32% of his 3PT attempts and 66% of his FT attempts isn't exactly awe-inspiring so I think he's being somewhat overvalued as an offensive player. Yes, we need to replace his 12-point average next season, but that production was based on 35 minutes/game. If given equivalent playing time, I have no doubt that Malik can match and/or exceed that production.

What I certainly WON'T miss is Tyrese's propensity to turn the ball over in key situations, often getting beat off the dribble on defense, his refusal to pass the ball in transition and his general lackadaisical attitude. He just never struck me as a team guy. I know people defend it by saying that's just his demeanor, but perception is reality more often than not.

We just need to turn the page. Tyrese is gone. Good luck at UCONN. Maybe Hurley can unlock some of that untapped potential, but as a player, I think he is who he is. You can't teach passion and grit. Kudos to Cox for quickly finding a suitable replacement who brings a different set of traits into the fold. I'm excited to see what Malik can do in a Rhody uniform. Fingers crossed he'll be eligible next season.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Some Tyrese comments from The Athletic website:

*"Hurley’s personality stuck with Martin, and it remained a big draw. He said it was nice to see he still has the same style of coaching he displayed at Rhode Island.

“Just the passion he brings day in and day out,” Martin said. “The way he brings energy to his players and to the game, that’s just something I want to play for and be around.”

“I think Tyrese is a Swiss Army knife,” Johns [Martin's high school coach] said. “He can do everything. He rebounds the ball at a high level for a guard, he can shoot it. He passes the ball well; just talented. He’s athletic so I think whatever role Coach Hurley needs him to play, he’ll play it.” In Martin, UConn is getting a “no-nonsense” and motivated player, Johns said.

Some Tyrese comments from other sites
:
“I’m choosing UConn because that was the school I feel like checked all the boxes for me during this process that I was looking for, knowing I couldn’t take visits because of this pandemic situation,” he told ZAGSBLOG.

“This is a great opportunity to showcase myself on a bigger stage and I feel like the Big East is one of the top leagues in the country. Also having the opportunity to be myself and have an impact right away at the next school. Then to see where I can max out as a player to get to the NBA, which is the ultimate goal. I feel like UConn has the resources and right people to help me get there.”

"I would only leave Rhode Island for an elite program like UConn," he added. "The pros and national championships were too much to turn down. I left a great program for an elite program."
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NBA? Really?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago NBA? Really?
What don't you get? First off every D1 player has the goal of playing in the NBA...from guys at Quinnipiac to Rhody to Duke.
Second, he's a 6'6", athletic wing with a body for the NBA if he develops the other parts of his game.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I guess you think he should have said "I feel UConn puts me in a better position to play in Serbia or Turkey or Erie."
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's my opinion. I think he has zero shot at playing in the NBA. Jared Terrell is not playing in the NBA. Jared is twice the player that Tyrese is. He also doesn't have the make up. I don't think he loves basketball, just by observation and his comment about being able to live his life.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

My prediction is that he will not average 30 minutes a game and will not average 12 points a game (especially in league games).
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Def don’t think he’ll get 30 min- I’m thinking 25-28 per. Where was the “live my life” quote from??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
What don't you get? First off every D1 player has the goal of playing in the NBA...from guys at Quinnipiac to Rhody to Duke.
Second, he's a 6'6", athletic wing with a body for the NBA if he develops the other parts of his game.
Hurley has said Tyrese had next level ability, David Cox also said it prior to this season.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago That's my opinion. I think he has zero shot at playing in the NBA. Jared Terrell is not playing in the NBA. Jared is twice the player that Tyrese is. He also doesn't have the make up. I don't think he loves basketball, just by observation and his comment about being able to live his life.
I agree with Billy , NBA and Tyrese Martin should not be used in the same sentence at this point. Maybe Dan will get something special out of him, we will see. If anyone could maybe Dan can. I am a sap that loves all URI players, but Tyrese was certainly no where near the top of my list. I wish him the best of luck and certainly have no ill feelings towards him, but I personally did not like his game at all. With that being said, I would love to still see him wearing a URI uniform next year and think he had potential to be an all league player his last 2 years. And while he is strong as an ox and a great rebounder that had very good offensive games at times, I don't see him as a mercurial athlete as some here do. Not a great shooter at all at this point and shot selection is poor. His defense leaves a lot to be desired along with his court awareness and I would also question his desire and love of the game as others have. He is 6-6 without any guard skills. If you watch a lot of college hoops you will see many similar guys at schools like UAB, FIU, E Tenn St, Wright St and so on.

Honestly, I hope he does well and am very disappointed he left, but IMO at this point he should be very happy with Turkey, Serbia or any league that would have him.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Tyrese will not make it in the NBA simply because he can't shoot and he will never be a good shooter unless he changes the way he shoots. His mechanics are awful. Take way too long for him to get his shot off. Any time he makes one it feels like a small miracle.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Tyrese will not make it in the NBA simply because he can't shoot and he will never be a good shooter unless he changes the way he shoots. His mechanics are awful. Take way too long for him to get his shot off. Any time he makes one it feels like a small miracle.

If EC Matthew's had proper form he probably would have made a roster as well. It makes a big difference.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Where was the “live my life” quote from??
Its just people overreacting to a comment he made during an Instagram live stream that people have now taken and run with (along with a tweet they didn't like) to determine that he is a quitter, doesn't like basketball, is selfish and a few others I am probably missing. You know, totally normal stuff that's not weird at all!
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Some of these takes are slightly disingenuous. Almost every major D1 player's goal is to make the NBA, and if they can't do that play in the best foreign league possible. There are probably at least 4 players at URI currently who think if things break their way they can make the NBA. That's not a URI thing, it's true on campuses across America. So to say Tyrese and NBA aspirations are crazy, while possibly true, doesn't recognize that the thing that drives many players to the gym at all hours of the day and night is the NBA dream.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Literally everybody's goal who plays basketball is the NBA.

Look at Duncan Robinson, played at a small D3 school at Williams, then transfers to Michigan. I guarantee you everybody laughed at him telling him no chance he can succeed in the BIg 10, nevermind the NBA. Couple years later, he's starting for the Miami Heat and one of the best shooters in the league.

Can't laugh at Tyrese for having the NBA as a goal.
0 x
Go Rhody
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

In the Hartford Courant this morning.

Martin in an interview yesterday, stated......................"Hurley called me OFTEN"
1 x