Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/articl ... 184978.php

This looks good to recruits. We lose games and go to the movies...
I've gotten after Cox before, I'm probably the most anti-Cox person on this board, but I have to say there's more than a little bullshit here. The most successful coaches at all levels do stuff like this regularly. Sometimes the coach feels like the movie has an important message the team can use or sometimes the coach feels like a team is pressing and that time away from the court as a team will help.

Thank God Tyrese "Spartacus" Martin stood up and told his coach he wasn't going to the movies. I'm sure that was the key part of our winning streak like it was presented in the article. The eye roll emoji isn't strong enough, we should really have a jerking off emoji for shit this extreme
13 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Sorry, I guess I skimmed your comment. But point taken. If he was unhappy in the middle of his freshman year, why not enter the portal a year ago?
touche.

But that was what I was getting at. I wasn't saying the story was BS or untrue, I was saying that he's telling a story from a year and a half ago.

"I'm there to win a championship"

Nooooooooooooooo

You are there to "live your life". You would rather hang out in your hotel room alone. You are going to win a Championship during a 0.500 year with a new coach?
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago One thing about that story: URI didn't play St Louis and Richmond back to back, and Richmond was a home game.

So, when did that take place? So, Martin was unhappy the previous year, his freshman year?

I'm so f'n glad this saga is over.

Roll on Malik Martin and whomever Cox gets next to play swing.
Freshman year- 1/6 at St Louis 1/9 at Richmond
And in his sophomore year, he posted his stats after LOSING!!!!
Look, he's just trying to win championships here!
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I actually asked a question, stevie.

I asked "what season was that?' I don't recall the article saying it was his first year. Of course, I skimmed through it because it was a load of ____, but I digress.

My point is, this COMPLAINT is something he has been holding onto since before the start of this season, no?
Actually, if it was from his Freshman year, that makes it even worse. He’s been holding on to the fact that he didn’t like the fact that TJ invited the team to go to the movies, after they lost 2 games in a row!! Why, was he going to hit the gym and shoot shots all night like Jeff would have done? From a kid that spent his nights off on Federal Hill in hookah bars instead of in the gym. Give me a break.
8 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I suspect it's not a team Championship he's after. That would almost have to be an accident.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago Actually, if it was from his Freshman year, that makes it even worse. He’s been holding on to the fact that he didn’t like the fact that TJ invited the team to go to the movies, after they lost 2 games in a row!! Why, was he going to hit the gym and shoot shots all night like Jeff would have done? From a kid that spent his nights off on Federal Hill in hookah bars instead of in the gym. Give me a break.
Precisely
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I thought it was very telling... the night Fatts was disciplined and didn't get the start, which was a message that the players need to share the ball and act like a team. That actually lead to a 10 game win streak.

I found it telling that Tyrese Martin wasn't included in that, since he was equally as guilty, if not moreso. Just Fatts. That to me, means that Fatts is mature enough to accept that kind of message, and fear was that Tyrese was not.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/articl ... 184978.php

I've gotten after Cox before, I'm probably the most anti-Cox person on this board, but I have to say there's more than a little bullshit here. The most successful coaches at all levels do stuff like this regularly. Sometimes the coach feels like the movie has an important message the team can use or sometimes the coach feels like a team is pressing and that time away from the court as a team will help.

Thank God Tyrese "Spartacus" Martin stood up and told his coach he wasn't going to the movies. I'm sure that was the key part of our winning streak like it was presented in the article. The eye roll emoji isn't strong enough, we should really have a jerking off emoji for shit this extreme
I think it's complete bullshit. Regardless, it doesn't make our program look good. I can't believe they actually published that shit.

By the way someone on the UConn board said that Tyrese Martin is a 6'6 Christian Vital... hahah
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You know what? I had a couple minutes to think about things and I'm not done yet. Where the fuck does he get off shitting on TJ like that? TJ meant more to this program in any one game of his than Tyrese meant to this program in his entire tenure here put together. And it's not our problem, but how do you think Dan feels having Tyrese say that for an article. Good luck and good riddance
12 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

I think it's complete bullshit. Regardless, it doesn't make our program look good. I can't believe they actually published that shit.

By the way someone on the UConn board said that Tyrese Martin is a 6'6 Christian Vital... hahah
The writer thinks Kingston is 60 miles south of Storrs, my guess is it's a pretty low bar what gets published there
6 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They should have just left it at "I've wanted to play in the Big East since I was a kid"

Not getting shots in this system? The dude got plentyyyy of shots. Is Hurley going to fix his shooting form somehow???

It would have helped get us a championship if he

A. Knew how to dribble like a guard.
B. Knew how to shoot worth a damn. I mean how many completely wide open threes did he miss? How many airballs?
C. Passed to anybody.

Most of his scoring came from put backs and he got plenty of shots and he'd go like 2-7 from three.

Don't like being one of those people talking down on the guy, but sorry, you leave us because you want to win a championship....so you can go to a place where you don't have the responsibility of being one of the better players??? Had a lot of responsibility here, where we finished third in the 8th best league and didn't even make third team in this weak non big east league.

That said I will always love Dan and I appreciate Rese for all the good he brought Rhody, but ya know life isn't black and white and I have a few different feelings about all this, sorry to be harsh, but that's how I see it.

I hope we get to the tournament before them/go further and in that moment we should shit talk storrs to no end because sports is great and I miss it.

Go Rhody and go MALIK Martin!
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I think it’s safe to say we won’t be going to the tournament before them ...
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Won't go to the movies after a loss to bond with a young team but has no trouble retweeting about his double-double after a loss....what a chucklefuck. See ya, Tyrese.
6 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Glad he's gone. Dan is going to get sick of his BS in a heartbeat.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I can't say I'm glad he's gone. Sure, he had some lackadaisical plays, had a real tough time when the other team effectively switched their slashers on him. But, he gave good minutes and I think he has more in him than he gave us. I think that is what gets me the most.
4 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Little dannyboy, the quitter. Perfect Judas during HOLY WEEK! Your just a scumbag danny. Karma will get you every time. Just Teasing little danny😂😂😂😂!

GO RHODY!
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I’m disappointed losing Martin’s talent but definitely questioned if he was a team player at times. I think deciding to quit on his teammates/coach and transfer, plus this article illustrate the type of personality with Martin. Disappointed in the transfer but I’d rather build around fire talent like Fatts or future elite talent with Toppin and surround them with team first players that fit roles.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kind of surprised Tyrese went to UConn

DH seems to like fiery guys that play defense not sure of the fit there and no idea what kind of playing time he gets

Georgia and Ole Miss may have been better fits ??
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

GOOD RIDDANCE TRAITOR

you were never a Cuttino Mobley, EC Mathews or Jimmy Baron ...

You don’t bleed KEANEY blue so good riddance and I’ll win with the players honored to wear the Rhody uniform
6 x
ghostofkeaney
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ghostofkeaney »

I won’t miss his attitude, rainbow three pointers or his lack of passing on fast breaks. Bye Rese.
5 x
Boo.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He's now Dan and UConn's problem now....time to move on.

He didn't want to be here for whatever reasons......we want guys who WANT to be here, and give 100% effort all the time.
5 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don’t want to trash the kid. He did about as much good as bad out there. His shots basically came from 30 feet 4 times a game because he would let it fly. He shot 31% from deep.

I think it would have been better if there wasn’t negative about his time at URI in that article. That isn’t good. I felt like he would be better as he went through his career.

Dan Hurley is no basketball savant. I think he has proved that more years than not. The UConn teams he has put out there have been stocked with talent and he couldn’t unlock it. Dan Hurley has had success with high effort and/or overwhelming his opponent with a higher pedigree of player. Martin won’t give him either of those things.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea let’s just close this. It’s sucks.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I get upset and go overboard sometimes as much as anybody, but I think we have to just turn the page here. We are upset he is leaving because he was a talented offensive player that we wish was still at URI. I remember him dropping 30 on Cam Reddish in high school and thinking he is going to be even better than Harris which was saying something at the time. When we continue to talk about how bad Martin and Long are we end up doing the same thing Maryland and some PC fans did with the twins and how they said they were bad teammates and play soft. It is human nature to see the positive on the players coming to the team you are rooting for, but I am moving on and hoping we get Murray. I won’t root for Tyrese at Uconn, but don’t want to spend anymore energy on him and just want to worry about who we have and who is coming in.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Pretty good article here. The people that know Tyrese personally seem to have a much different opinion of him than the one that's been portrayed here.

He also explains that a part of picking UConn was familiarity with Hurley since he was unable to take visits.

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-me ... story.html
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I get upset and go overboard sometimes as much as anybody, but I think we have to just turn the page here. We are upset he is leaving because he was a talented offensive player that we wish was still at URI. I remember him dropping 30 on Cam Reddish in high school and thinking he is going to be even better than Harris which was saying something at the time. When we continue to talk about how bad Martin and Long are we end up doing the same thing Maryland and some PC fans did with the twins and how they said they were bad teammates and play soft. It is human nature to see the positive on the players coming to the team you are rooting for, but I am moving on and hoping we get Murray. I won’t root for Tyrese at Uconn, but don’t want to spend anymore energy on him and just want to worry about who we have and who is coming in.
Agree here. Just frustrating to see a former player make what I would consider to be a dumb ass comment like he did after leaving. The fact that he viewed that "movie decision" by the staff to be an indication that their main focus wasn't to win a championship is completely asinine. It lacks perspective on the intention (i.e. let's try and get everyone's minds off of the recent slide we've been on for a few hrs), and it wreaks of immaturity (i.e. I must be the only one here that is focused on winning). All it says to me at this point is he had no intention of staying after DH left, regardless of the outcome this year. And he tried to put some justification on his decision to leave with that small-minded, thoughtless comment. Best of luck in Storrs there sport. You put some bad karma out there by bad mouthing your former team. Hope that doesn't come back to bite you. Just keep talking that trash and retweeting your stats after L's though, you'll be fine. Moving on...
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

The article said Tyrese will help UConn achieve their goal of getting a big scoring guard. I'm sure his 0.6 assist to turnover ratio and sparkling 32.1% 3-point shooting will help them win games.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

My post got deleted? I'll clean it up a little but it still says FU Danny you scumbag!

Can't wait til January and we play Dayton and VCU and Richmond and St Louis with 3 scholarships and 4 walk-ons.

Will we score 40 points in a single game?

Hurley is a piece of crap, and I don't wanna wish evil on anyone, but I hope he is enjoying Storrs!

I bet he could use Fatts too, and Toppin.

There are now 2 people who I would punch in the face if I ever meet them...
0 x
89er
Michael Andersen

Unread post by 89er »

A kid that was too cool for school and a liability defensively doesn’t seem to be a Hurley kind of guy.
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Martin has talent, but that's it. His attitude has always appeared to be an issue with him. It shows on the floor. After reading that comment in that article it's crystal clear that he has a lot of growing to do as a person.
TJ was the ultimate never say die competitor. He gave his all every time he was on the floor. A wise and humble person would've either understood the reason for the movie or asked "why are going to see a movie after a loss?" and been open to learning why, but instead he was naive enough to think he alone and no one else on the team knows what it takes to win games.
It's sad in a way that as a new Coach, Cox would garner such little respect and benefit of the doubt from him.
I'm looking forward to the next couple of seasons and hopefully watching a great group of players grow & mature as men, while winning games. Best way to stick it to this kid is to win and go to the dance, while he sits at UConn and watches it on TV.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article talks about him being introverted. Tend to think of people like that also being shy and humble.

But seems odd then posting like this.”Ibet on myself and cashed in many times before?”

Great. Good hit you. You bet on yourself. How great thou art! What humility (cs)

I think the posting of the narrowed down list of schools is simply more self promotion and ego building. He was always going to UConn.

Would be interesting to know thoughts David Cox on this. Has he made any comments? I don’t recall any.

He talks of how hard he is working now packing boxes, how hard this has made things for him with not being able to visit schools - all while many families in US and Globally are losing loved ones - poor guy.

I’ve changed my opinion on him......it’s best he moved on.

Transfers in college basketball are detracting from the popularity of the game and are about to get much worse. A shame.

4 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

So winners don't watch movies after losses, they stay in their hotel rooms and tweet about their individual stat lines? OK.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He says he wanted to go "big time".

UConn to him is big time.

He's right about one thing, though.

Compared to URI, UConn IS big time.

Their funding and commitment levels are way above ours.

Hate to bring that up, but it's true.

He likely felt that we weren't going anywhere especially after our late season swoon, so he wanted to get with a program that will.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I don't think he left because of administrative politics and I don't think he'll win a championship at UConn. Anyway, moving on...
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

he's a perfect fit for UConn and Hurley...pieces of s**t clump together
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

UCONN is a blueblood. I can see WHY he would want to play there, but hes still a QUITTER. He was given all he was promised I'm sure, including being a few wins from a NCAA bid.
1 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This thread is embarrassing at this point.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed ^^
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I don't quite understand the vitriol towards Hurley. There's no proof there was tampering at all on his end.

I just think it's weird that Martin is seen as this hard-working, winning-first, well-rounded tough player that he's being made out to be. I feel like if there's anything that Hurley could be part of its his recommendations to have Martin rebrand to some sort of team player that will flourish at an "elite" program like UConn...it reminds me of when he started rebranding himself as a calmer version of the early days Hurley when he was starting to be tagged as the possible next Head Coach at Uconn. Just seems like there was a strategy with the articles and Hurley had something to do with the soundbites from Martin.

Regardless, I still don't see it as a great fit for either party. We'll miss his talent, but I agree that if he doesn't want to be here there's no point of him sticking around.
2 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Please let it go everyone. I think everyone is missing the point the we may be better off with the exchange of Martins'. I would just look at the numbers take everything else out of it, The Martin we got is better at the following: Ball Security, Shooting(FT, 2pg, 3pg), Defense, Offensive efficiency,& Attitude and all these are not even close. We probably got an upgrade at the position plus we create more minutes for Toppin who has a much higher ceiling. All I am saying we want players who want to be here and the exchange we made will not have any negative effect, and it could very well have a positive one chill!!
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

We finished the season with 8 players.
There are exactly 2 who are still here.
And you're ok with Hurley telling Ty to join him?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 4 years ago We finished the season with 8 players.
Dowtin - Graduated
Langevine - Graduated
Martin - Transferred to UConn
Russell
Harris
Long - transferred to ODU
Walker
Toppin

So 4 still here, right Rudder?

But I agree with you we are very thin

Leggett and Wood coming in as freshmen, Sheppard and Johnson as transfers in eligible

Mitchell, Mitchell and Martin transfers eligible 2021-2022
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Dowtin - Graduated
Langevine - Graduated
Russell. You sure about that?
Harris. You sure about that?
Walker
Toppin

Leggett and Wood coming in as freshmen

If Jermaine stays it's 3.
Fatts declared.
You can cross your fingers, but he's not written down in ink.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Dowtin - Graduated
Langevine - Graduated
Russell. You sure about that?
Harris. You sure about that?
Walker
Toppin

Leggett and Wood coming in as freshmen

If Jermaine stays it's 3.
Fatts declared.
You can cross your fingers, but he's not written down in ink.
Ok I get it. I’m not sure on Russell or Harris either. Lots of time to go.And things can change as players are added to the roster.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

UConn to him is big time.
He's right about one thing, though.
Compared to URI, UConn IS big time.
Their funding and commitment levels are way above ours.
Hate to bring that up, but it's true.

This unfortunately is spot on. The administration was ready to step up to
try and keep Hurley, but once he left they walked it all back and
it's back to business as usual. They pocketed the NCAA money and dispersed
amongst the general athletics budget and screwed Cox. For gods sake we
can't even get an existing gym converted to a Practice/ training facility.

REALITY- We are a MID-MAJOR program that spends at best in the middle of
the pack. We are not even sniffing the Big-time and UCONN'S pedigree, spending
and history makes them big-time and the move back to the BE will solidify that.
It sucks that Martin left because we really needed him to be around if the
transfer rule doesn't change. But it is what it is. Look at the portal list.
we are not alone with these transfer issues. At least when have some serious talent
coming in as well, it just might not be soon enough to salvage next year.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Between what happens down the road with everything concerning the virus and the URI BB program.....

Saying that things are up in the air is the understatement of the century.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody78 wrote: 4 years ago Please let it go everyone. I think everyone is missing the point the we may be better off with the exchange of Martins'. I would just look at the numbers take everything else out of it, The Martin we got is better at the following: Ball Security, Shooting(FT, 2pg, 3pg), Defense, Offensive efficiency,& Attitude and all these are not even close. We probably got an upgrade at the position plus we create more minutes for Toppin who has a much higher ceiling. All I am saying we want players who want to be here and the exchange we made will not have any negative effect, and it could very well have a positive one chill!!
We are not even close being better off with Malik than Tyrese.

Are you taking crazy pills?
2 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn wants to win another national championship, and they have the resources and will to at least have a realistic shot at it.

URI wants to be the best of the A10, and maybe make a Final Four.

Talk is cheap, reality is URI is cheap and doesn't have the resources or will to even try to fulfill those goals.

We Think Big, and Do Little.

Of course, UConn has quite a few 7 figure donors...we have 2 or 3.....

Most schools nowadays rely on their biggest donors.....we don't have enough.
1 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody78 wrote: 4 years ago Please let it go everyone. I think everyone is missing the point the we may be better off with the exchange of Martins'. I would just look at the numbers take everything else out of it, The Martin we got is better at the following: Ball Security, Shooting(FT, 2pg, 3pg), Defense, Offensive efficiency,& Attitude and all these are not even close. We probably got an upgrade at the position plus we create more minutes for Toppin who has a much higher ceiling. All I am saying we want players who want to be here and the exchange we made will not have any negative effect, and it could very well have a positive one chill!!
We are not even close being better off with Malik than Tyrese.

Are you taking crazy pills?

Please let me know why you feel that way give me some facts and data not unsupported comments. I have no problem with you not agreeing but lets see some supporting facts!!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hurley has shown in the last two years that he is just like any other coach. His loyalty is to himself and only himself. He will say and do whatever it takes to benefit him. His words as shown by actions mean little as they are just coach doublespeak.
3 x