Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Tyrese Martin to Transfer

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago My God, transfer already.

My personal nightmare is that he changes his mind and wants to return. Never did like his game, this is our opportunity to upgrade the position.
lol-
"Martin will transfer" : Good! we don't need em!
"Martin to return to URI" : Good! We needed him!
3 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It’s no different than a bad breakup.

When together, you love that person flaws and all.

When it’s over, all they have is flaws.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago No, Martin will need to step up his consistency. Here he was assured of 35 mpg as were Russell and Dowtin. Consistency wasn’t a strength was any of those 3 players this past season.
lol that’s what I just said.
Exactly, I was agreeing with you.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Guess most of you have never sat at floor level.

T Martin talked more crap than anyone on the team. Larry Bird like in talking garbage.

I also think a lot of you mistake demeanor for intensity. I saw him as a assassin.

Y’all have fun sayin he sucks and we can upgrade the position yaddi yadda

As we strike out on the “upgrades” I’m hoping Cox is trying to talk him back...

In addition we still need a shooter that can come of a high post pick, release quick and hit 40% deep balls. Every other team running high post 1/2 court sets does too I guess.
6 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Guess most of you have never sat at floor level.

T Martin talked more crap than anyone on the team. Larry Bird like in talking garbage.

I also think a lot of you mistake demeanor for intensity. I saw him as a assassin.

Y’all have fun sayin he sucks and we can upgrade the position yaddi yadda

As we strike out on the “upgrades” I’m hoping Cox is trying to talk him back...

We still need a shooter that can come of a high post pick, release quick and hit 40% deep balls. Every other team running high post 1/2 court sets does too I guess.
Assassin is a good description. Tyrese was in the game talking to his man. He knew where his man was. He was a ferocious rebounder both visually watching him and as evidenced in his rebounding statistics.
I’ll miss watching him the next two years.
1 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

You didnt even need a courtside seat, you could see Tyrese jawing with his opponent frequently on TV. He definitely has a very laid back demeanor, and when he makes mistakes that is an easy thing to point to as the reason why.

Kid can play though, wish he was here for the remainder of his college career. Will be tough to see him in a UCONN jersey though.
1 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I'll miss his hand-motion reenactment explanations to the refs during someone else's free throws. Those cracked me the F up.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If Dan is gonna take our players I hope he has the balls to come to they Ryan Center and play us. I'd love to watch Tyrese turn the ball over and try and defend Toppin. It'll be fun.

I wish Tyrese the best. He'll be missed.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago If Dan is gonna take our players I hope he has the balls to come to they Ryan Center and play us. I'd love to watch Tyrese turn the ball over and try and defend Toppin. It'll be fun.

I wish Tyrese the best. He'll be missed.
That is one thing we will never see in our lifetime unless they are both in the NIT one year and Uconn is forced to come to the Ryan Center.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

He is a really good player - he will look better than he did here when he is asked to play 20ish mins a game. Playing 30 plus minutes a game we saw a lot of lapses, and he is not fast enough to catch up once he is out of position on D. Happened a few times each game, usually in the second half.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is it official Tyrese to Uconn ??
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Martin on his final 5. Funny how humble Martin is:

The 6-foot-6 guard is down to UConn, Georgia, Oregon, Ole Miss and Seton Hall, according to Jon Rothstein. Martin initially committed to current UConn coach Dan Hurley when Hurley was at Rhode Island in September 2017.
He broke down his options for ZAGSBLOG:
Oregon: “They love me and have a vision for me and my future.”
Georgia: “A vision to play a crucial role to the program as soon as I get to campus.
Seton Hall: “They expect me to have an impact when it’s time to play and not far from home.”
Ole Miss: “Beautiful campus, coaches love me, dominant role.”
UConn: “Great relationship with Hurley, impactful role.”
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 4 years ago Is it official Tyrese to Uconn ??
Later this afternoon he is officially announcing
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
· 2m
Rhode Island transfer Tyrese Martin has committed to UConn, per his Twitter page.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
UConn's program now boasts three quality wings in James Bouknight, Andre Jackson, and Tyrese Martin.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... s-new-home
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not smart man, not smart. He will see 20-25 a game. I’d bet my check.
4 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Well Hurley was the head coach when Tyrese was being recruited, so by default he is a Hurley player.

If he does go there, I look forward to booing him when he visits the Dunk, then quickly change course and cheer for UConn to beat PC by 50.
I always root for a double forfeit when the Leg-humpers play the mental hospital.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Listen, I think he'll have an impact in games where he's hot, but I'm not so sure about the fit here.

From what I've seen out of him he's more motivated by his stats than the teams achievements and I'm not sure his laid back attitude fits with the Hurley system.

They have some serious players on that team...will be interesting to see if he's any more than a role player there when he was going to be the star here.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Cracks me up some of the posters on UConn's message board. People are saying he didn't have enough opportunity playing alongside Fatts and Dowtin and their system is the best fit... Is he gonna play 35 minutes and take 12 shots a game at UConn?
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Section104
Art Stephenson

I also find this somewhat funny since I've always made the argument that Hurley has been playing with "his" players in his first two years at UConn since he recruited a lot of them at URI. I always see "he would recruit a much different type of player at UConn" and people like Christian Vital, Alterique Gilbert, Sidney Wilson, etc. might have been a good fit at URI, but he would recruit higher than that at UConn and those were Ollie recruits.

The reality is he left URI to recruit the guys like Vital, Gilbert, Wilson, etc. and now he's accepting of the same type of guys like Martin and Adams that he was recruiting while at URI.

Again, just don't think this is a perfect fit for UConn or Martin despite his obvious talents scoring the basketball.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My feelings haven't changed for the last 40+ years. I still wish UConn basketball nothing but misfortune and misery.
10 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I also find this somewhat funny since I've always made the argument that Hurley has been playing with "his" players in his first two years at UConn since he recruited a lot of them at URI. I always see "he would recruit a much different type of player at UConn" and people like Christian Vital, Alterique Gilbert, Sidney Wilson, etc. might have been a good fit at URI, but he would recruit higher than that at UConn and those were Ollie recruits.

The reality is he left URI to recruit the guys like Vital, Gilbert, Wilson, etc. and now he's accepting of the same type of guys like Martin and Adams that he was recruiting while at URI.

Again, just don't think this is a perfect fit for UConn or Martin despite his obvious talents scoring the basketball.
Hurley already recruited 3 top 100 guys in the 2019 class and 1 in the 2020 class. Not sure I would agree that he is recruiting the same type of guys he was recruiting at URI.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I also find this somewhat funny since I've always made the argument that Hurley has been playing with "his" players in his first two years at UConn since he recruited a lot of them at URI. I always see "he would recruit a much different type of player at UConn" and people like Christian Vital, Alterique Gilbert, Sidney Wilson, etc. might have been a good fit at URI, but he would recruit higher than that at UConn and those were Ollie recruits.

Hurley already recruited 3 top 100 guys in the 2019 class and 1 in the 2020 class. Not sure I would agree that he is recruiting the same type of guys he was recruiting at URI.

EC Jared Stan and Kuran were all Top 100, so it’s pretty close so far.

Dan will obviously start to get much much better players.
0 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago My feelings haven't changed for the last 40+ years. I still wish UConn basketball nothing but misfortune and misery.
I have stayed loyal to DH, as he is the reason that we are season ticket holders at URI. But I am disavowing him as of now. There is no doubt in my mind that he was talking to Rese (or his peeps) early on trying to get him to transfer.

Time will tell if he sold him a bill of goods...I dont see him getting the play time that he was getting at URI.

Screw him and screw UConn...except when they play Pee C.
7 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed - you aren't getting Bouknight, Akok and Jackson to the A10 . Maybe 1 of them, never all 3.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Sorry that's not what I meant...

I meant that he had top 100 guys that he was already recruiting while at URI (Gilbert, Adams, Wilson, Vital, etc.)
He's now exchanging one top 100 player that he recruited while at URI (Wilson) for a non top 100 player (Martin)

Point being: his roster was full of top 100 talents that he recruited, but missed on, at URI. Did they develop really bad habits under Ollie? Fit a system at URI but not one at UConn? Shouldn't he already be winning with those top 100 players?

I have no doubt that Hurley will win and win big, but I just never bought the idea that he inherited a bad roster. He had a roster full of guys that picked UConn over URI and now he's accepting transfers/recruits from URI to replace the more higher rated players that for whatever reason never quite lived up to the hype.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rubs me the wrong way.
6 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago My feelings haven't changed for the last 40+ years. I still wish UConn basketball nothing but misfortune and misery.
I have stayed loyal to DH, as he is the reason that we are season ticket holders at URI. But I am disavowing him as of now. There is no doubt in my mind that he was talking to Rese (or his peeps) early on trying to get him to transfer.

Time will tell if he sold him a bill of goods...I dont see him getting the play time that he was getting at URI.

No doubt about the likely recruiting done during or before the season.

Can't wait for Hurley to get Tyrese to take that first charge-- if he doesn't, he won't play
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Good for Tyrese, I hope he enjoys going from a starting position and playing 30+ minutes a game to coming off the bench for 10 minutes at UCONN, especially at his position. There is no doubting he has ability and maybe Dan will be able to bring it out of him on a consistent basis, but it really makes you wonder who is advising these kids, or maybe there is a bigger issue at URI that we are aware of.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

A foul odor iza sniffin

Yep it’s a smelly Dawg.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago Good for Tyrese, I hope he enjoys going from a starting position and playing 30+ minutes a game to coming off the bench for 10 minutes at UCONN, especially at his position. There is no doubting he has ability and maybe Dan will be able to bring it out of him on a consistent basis, but it really makes you wonder who is advising these kids, or maybe there is a bigger issue at URI that we are aware of.
Is there a way to save a post for next year. To me this is the $64,000,000 question that needs to be answered but it can't be answered until next season.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Tyrese was a decent player for us. His only above average skill was rebounding. He was also becoming more of a scorer but not a particularly efficient one. I thought he was a ball stopper on offense and was sometimes annoyed that he would not pass to a wide open Jeff. He did have some very nice scoring plays on his offensive rebounds. I will miss him but am not really broken up about it especially if the Mitchell twins among others can control the backboards. Maybe Tyrese just really likes Hurley's brand of bullshit? A lot of people around here do.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago Tyrese was a decent player for us. His only above average skill was rebounding. He was also becoming more of a scorer but not a particularly efficient one. I thought he was a ball stopper on offense and was sometimes annoyed that he would not pass to a wide open Jeff. He did have some very nice scoring plays on his offensive rebounds. I will miss him but am not really broken up about it especially if the Mitchell twins among others can control the backboards. Maybe Tyrese just really likes Hurley's brand of bullshit? A lot of people around here do.

Since when is Hurley’s brand bullshit??

I’m sure you weren’t saying that when he was coaching us to back to back conference championships and back to back NCAA tournament wins.

Sounds like sour grapes.
2 x
Go Rhody
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Re: Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

This should make us all happy.

There is no way fatts is now transferring to UConn (I hope)

I wish Hurley the best. Some of you need to not be predictable college basketball messageboard posters.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/articl ... 184978.php

This looks good to recruits. We lose games and go to the movies...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

You had me at Hello
4 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Sorry kid doesn't seem to fit the Hurley mold.. dirt dog, hard working defender.. definitely has a lot of talent. Definitely extremely inconsistent.. in his defense he was thrust more into a ball handling role here than he should have been. He wants to be a scorer and fill the stat sheet.. what do I know. Just know I saw him play personally every home game and have to say he just didn't do it for me. He could have made us a lot better if he wanted too.. I know the great dan Hurley will bring him up to his full potential.. don't really care right now.. I bleed keaney blue..
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

One thing about that story: URI didn't play St Louis and Richmond back to back, and Richmond was a home game.

So, when did that take place? So, Martin was unhappy the previous year, his freshman year?

I'm so f'n glad this saga is over.

Roll on Malik Martin and whomever Cox gets next to play swing.
6 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/articl ... 184978.php

This looks good to recruits. We lose games and go to the movies...
Welp whoever leaked that movie story is pretty immature. I’m guessing the aau coach but who knows.
1 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago One thing about that story: URI didn't play St Louis and Richmond back to back, and Richmond was a home game.

So, when did that take place? So, Martin was unhappy the previous year, his freshman year?

Also said he was making the same trip 60 miles north that Adams made. Soooo, UConn is in Mass?
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Tyrese was gonna go to the movies, but then he got high.
He was gonna work on that team building sheet, but then he got high.

Now, he'll be riding the pine at UConn, and he knows why... (why, man?)

yada da da, yada da da, da da da DAAAaaaaaaaa
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody 15,
I will explain this once since you asked;
Most influential people are full of bullshit. If you find yourself liking a public person...you like that particular brand of bullshit. George Carlin had a whole thing on it back in the day. I never was a Dan Hurley superfan...just did not like his particular brand of bullshit. I thought he went too far in decrying all of the deficiencies he had to overcome at URI. He even complained once that Baron's son had transferred after he originally indicated that he would stay. I thought well at least you don't have to stifle yourself talking about "what you inherited at URI" which Dan did in interviews for several seasons. However, I will not take away from what Dan accomplished at URI . To be clear, I have never met him in person and did not even live locally during his tenure at URI. All of my impressions are from media accounts, some in print but mostly televised interviews. I remember him giving an interview decrying how young his team was the season after he pushed out Matt Butler and Jarelle Reischel and thinking what a bullshit artist. Now since Tyrese decided to play for Hurley at Uconn after previously committing to play for him at URI while having many choices each time it is very likely that Tyrese likes his brand of bullshit.
6 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago One thing about that story: URI didn't play St Louis and Richmond back to back, and Richmond was a home game.

Freshman year- 1/6 at St Louis 1/9 at Richmond
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago

And in his sophomore year, he posted his stats after LOSING!!!!
4 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

So, that's what he thought of this program, TJ, and the entire works, half way through his first year.

I don't blame TJ. When you lose and clearly one of the problems is that the team isn't playing like a team, and you have some particularly self-centered individuals like Tyrese, who refuse to pass the ball (Basketball 101), then he was probably just reverting to something that coaches did with him and his fellow players when he was a player himself.

Tyrese has rocks for brains. Instead if including this stupid story in your article to make URI look bad, why not just state the facts:

If Hurley can't discipline Tyrese and get him to play like a team player, then he's probably a lost cause. Good luck and good riddance.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Sorry, RF, not true. URI's first two A10 games that season were at SLU then at Richmond:

2018-19 Schedule

The games were Jan 6th and 9th.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I actually asked a question, stevie.

I asked "what season was that?' I don't recall the article saying it was his first year. Of course, I skimmed through it because it was a load of ____, but I digress.

My point is, this COMPLAINT is something he has been holding onto since before the start of this season, no?
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago

What story are we talking about? I missed the post
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I actually asked a question, stevie.

I asked "what season was that?' I don't recall the article saying it was his first year. Of course, I skimmed through it because it was a load of ____, but I digress.

My point is, this COMPLAINT is something he has been holding onto since before the start of this season, no?
Sorry, I guess I skimmed your comment. But point taken. If he was unhappy in the middle of his freshman year, why not enter the portal a year ago?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I kind of want him to pick UConn just so we can get another 3-4 pages of "kids these days" posts around here!
We're off to a good start!
3 x