Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: Fatts

Unread post by Rhodyram »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I said something similar yesterday, but with a tweak. If he was assured a G League spot (assuming they are playing next season) I could see him opting to start his pro career and jump into the G league versus returning to a team that may be a middling A10 squad (assuming transfers can't play).
This would make a lot of sense but the Gleague pays so poorly- he'd make so much more $ overseas.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I said something similar yesterday, but with a tweak. If he was assured a G League spot (assuming they are playing next season) I could see him opting to start his pro career and jump into the G league versus returning to a team that may be a middling A10 squad (assuming transfers can't play).
This would make a lot of sense but the Gleague pays so poorly- he'd make so much more $ overseas.
Yeah, but it's like like 75,000 a year. If you get a 10 day contract you get a big bonus. Especially if you stay on for more than 10 days.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Yeah, but it's like like 75,000 a year. If you get a 10 day contract you get a big bonus. Especially if you stay on for more than 10 days.
It’s not that much- last year it was increased to $35,000 per year($7000 per month) plus benefits and housing.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

It’s not that much- last year it was increased to $35,000 per year($7000 per month) plus benefits and housing.
You're right. I think I was thinking of NFL practice squad players.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I can’t see Fatts going overseas now - those games are officiated a lot more loosely and I think he’d be doing himself a disservice without developing a bit more in college and having a chance his senior season to boost his draft stock.

I think with the added front court offensive help, he might look much more favorably on a return than he would have last week.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't see him going overseas either, I also think some of these guys feel like once they make that move its out of sight and out of mind. IMO he's G League or back to Rhody.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
We’ve got a bunch of experts here who can and do tell him what to work on :lol: :lol:

Jermaine Harris has a slew of experts advising him too :roll: :roll:
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Everyone on this board consider themselves equally as experts.

Except some are more equal than others.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

NGAcb7aRH0arNb4VPceLdiBfjQme4SrKPQq-jnZbQg4.jpg
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The Athletic ranked the Top 100 potential draftees and Fatts did not make the list. Could have seen him in the 90s or so... which is still pretty far off from getting selected.

ETA: Toppin is #4, the only A-10 guy on the list.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts will be back.

No doubt about it.

Even if the no sit out rule passes....whenever that happens.

At some point the NCAA will have to make decisions, because those decisions will directly affect next season...and the longer they wait, the worse it will get.

Of course who knows what will even happen with next season...…

Uncharted territory indeed.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good that he didn’t crack that list be great if he returns
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Shows that everyone is doing it. They will return just like Fatts.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Players getting feedback and exposure.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

21st best player returning to college next season (if he does) according To an insider article on ESPN.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nobody from da fryuzzzz?

BIG EAST
Jordan Tucker, 6-7, 220, SF, Jr., Butler
Paul Reed, 6-9, 220, F, Jr., Depaul
Mac McClung, 6-2, 186, PG, So., Georgetown
Sandro Mamukelashvili, 6-11, 240, PF, Jr., Seton Hall
LJ Figueroa, 6-6, 200, SG, Jr., St. John’s
Saddiq Bey, 6-8, 216, SF, So., Villanova
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, 6-9, 230, PF, Fr., Villanova
Naji Marshall, 6-7, 220, SF, Jr., Xavier
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Based on all the restrictions being placed out there, there is almost no point in a fringe player testing the waters this year.

In past years, coaches have said it's great exposure, great workouts with NBA teams, learn what to work on in your game, etc.

From the sounds of it, there will be no workouts, no combine, you can talk to teams but that's about it. I think I've seen that all scouting will be done through game tape.

Going to be very hard for a 2nd round guy to work his way into the 1st round.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Based on all the restrictions being placed out there, there is almost no point in a fringe player testing the waters this year.

In past years, coaches have said it's great exposure, great workouts with NBA teams, learn what to work on in your game, etc.

From the sounds of it, there will be no workouts, no combine, you can talk to teams but that's about it. I think I've seen that all scouting will be done through game tape.

Good points. Fatts should probably just skip it, if it's not going to be beneficial to him.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Based on all the restrictions being placed out there, there is almost no point in a fringe player testing the waters this year.

Agreed, in past it totally made sense for folks who are at best fringe draft prospects to go through the process. The process included workouts for pro teams and first hand feedback on areas of improvement, etc. Without workouts I don't see the reason for going into this process for folks like Fatts, Santos-Silva, the Richmond kids, etc.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

There still is really no downside to it though. It sucks that they aren't getting the normal experience because of everything going on, but I don't blame any of them for going through with it anyway.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Doesn't seem to be any huge benefit, but there's also no downside to it. There's not any action they're able to take so it's not like it's a "waste of time" for them. No reason not to. Maybe a few NBA teams decide they want to do a remote interview with them, might as well!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A-10
Jalen Crutcher, 6-1, 180, PG, Jr., Dayton
Obi Toppin, 6-9, 220, PF, RS So., Dayton
Fatts Russell, 5-10, 165, PG, Jr., Rhode Island
Blake Francis, 6-0, 175, G, RS Jr., Richmond
Jacob Gilyard, 5-9, 160, g, Jr., Richmond
Grant Golden, 6-10, 255, F, RS Jr., Richmond
Ryan Daly, 6-5, 225, G, RS Jr., Saint Joseph’s
Jordan Goodwin, 6-3, 200, G, Jr., Saint Louis
Hasahn French, 6-7, 245, PF, Jr., Saint Louis
Marcus Santos-Silva, 6-7, 250, PF, Jr., VCU

So why NOT do it? What’s there to lose?

And suppose things do open up which is only a matter of time, If you didn’t enter your name you would be out of luck. What’s the risk? Seems like there is no risk at all. Nothing else going on anyway.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I would think Europe would be a strong option right now. If he can get a good deal with somebody, why not get the money now? This is most likely his destination anyway. His brother is over there, Germany, I think. He risks injury and loses his chance to make money by coming back.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

A-10

And suppose things do open up which is only a matter of time, If you didn’t enter your name you would be out of luck. What’s the risk? Seems like there is no risk at all. Nothing else going on anyway.
I think they are two different points ...

I think there is almost no point because without the ability to showcase ability, moving draft position is going to be very difficult. Execs are only going to be able to go off of what they find on game tape, and not through an assortment of drills, exercises, etc.

Now, is there anything to lose? I don't think so either, outside of players who feel like because the pre-draft process was broken, they didn't feel they could adequately showcase themselves and take a reckless shot at the draft. That part is uniquely different from other years where between combine and workouts, guys can get several visits in and get a more realistic view of their draft standing before making that decision to stay or remove themselves from the draft.
0 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

Top 25 Players in College Basketball 2020-21 ESPN
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ll-2020-21

"21. Fatts Russell, Rhode Island Rams"
"At 5-10, Russell is an outstanding defender who ranked in the top 15 nationally for steal percentage in 2020. He led URI in multiple categories last season, up to and including points, assists, free throw attempts, minutes and, yes, steals. He has submitted his name for the draft, but, if he returns, he'll be on the short list of contenders to follow Obi Toppin for Atlantic 10 Player of the Year honors. Note additionally that any player of Russell's stature who can record six blocks over the course of a season is one estimable competitor."

Fatts getting some national attention ahead of next season
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

A-10

I think they are two different points ...

I think there is almost no point because without the ability to showcase ability, moving draft position is going to be very difficult. Execs are only going to be able to go off of what they find on game tape, and not through an assortment of drills, exercises, etc.

Now, is there anything to lose? I don't think so either, outside of players who feel like because the pre-draft process was broken, they didn't feel they could adequately showcase themselves and take a reckless shot at the draft. That part is uniquely different from other years where between combine and workouts, guys can get several visits in and get a more realistic view of their draft standing before making that decision to stay or remove themselves from the draft.
Another difference between this year and past years is that normally a player would essentially have to drop out of school to pursue the draft process in a meaningful way, putting his future eligibility in jeopardy. This made it so a player could “declare” for the draft but essentially there was a second level of decision as to whether you would go all-in on the pre-draft process or hedge to ensure you could come back. This year with school being effectively canceled, that part of it is off the table.

Not sure this breaks one way or the other with respect to Fatts specifically, because as you point out there also isn’t much of a pre-draft process to speak of. But it is another interesting element to all this.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

jakepnickers wrote: 4 years ago Top 25 Players in College Basketball 2020-21 ESPN
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ll-2020-21

"21. Fatts Russell, Rhode Island Rams"
"At 5-10, Russell is an outstanding defender who ranked in the top 15 nationally for steal percentage in 2020. He led URI in multiple categories last season, up to and including points, assists, free throw attempts, minutes and, yes, steals. He has submitted his name for the draft, but, if he returns, he'll be on the short list of contenders to follow Obi Toppin for Atlantic 10 Player of the Year honors. Note additionally that any player of Russell's stature who can record six blocks over the course of a season is one estimable competitor."

Fatts getting some national attention ahead of next season
Love it! But come on ... It's OK to say he's 5'8" now. 🙂
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I know the transfers are making the roster unpredictable, but it is pretty likely Fatts comes back as declaring as a junior is par for the course. A Fatts senior year will be something very fun to pull for. Throw in the players that we do have and the team is pretty good. We basically are waiting on the Twins to be available mid season.

I think next year's rams are talented with star power and depth.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If our 3 transfers aren't eligible next season and we don't add at least one big that can help us immediately, we are in big trouble in the frontcourt.

Rebounding and scoring inside will be sorely lacking. We have lost Tyrese and added nobody in that case.

The A10 teams with strong frontcourts will dominate us, especially if our outside shooting doesn't improve quite a but.

Same for OOC games against the better teams.

Cox has work to do.

Hey, maybe there is no season and everyone will be eligible in 2021-22!

The NCAA would have to count a lost season as the sit out year, you would think.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I know the transfers are making the roster unpredictable, but it is pretty likely Fatts comes back as declaring as a junior is par for the course. A Fatts senior year will be something very fun to pull for. Throw in the players that we do have and the team is pretty good. We basically are waiting on the Twins to be available mid season.

The twins won't be available mid year. They will have to sit out the whole year next year unless they get a waiver or new NCAA rule passes. They didn't take classes at URI this spring so they have to take 1 full year of classes at the new school to be eligible.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We seriously need a grad big , I didn't see many candidates in the portal that are viable and still available.
lots of freshman and sophomores looking at greener grass. Many of the grad bigs that had potential have
been scooped up by P5 programs or are being courted by P5's
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I know the transfers are making the roster unpredictable, but it is pretty likely Fatts comes back as declaring as a junior is par for the course. A Fatts senior year will be something very fun to pull for. Throw in the players that we do have and the team is pretty good. We basically are waiting on the Twins to be available mid season.

The twins won't be available mid year. They will have to sit out the whole year next year unless they get a waiver or new NCAA rule passes. They didn't take classes at URI this spring so they have to take 1 full year of classes at the new school to be eligible.
Then next year's team losses the depth but still has star power and talent.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago If our 3 transfers aren't eligible next season and we don't add at least one big that can help us immediately, we are in big trouble in the frontcourt.

Rebounding and scoring inside will be sorely lacking. We have lost Tyrese and added nobody in that case.

The A10 teams with strong frontcourts will dominate us, especially if our outside shooting doesn't improve quite a but.

Cox has work to do.

The NCAA would have to count a lost season as the sit out year, you would think.
If we don't have the transfers next season we will struggle to get to 50 ppg. Goodman somehow just ranked us in his Top 45 for next season, I have to assume he believes the Mitchell twins will play from Day 1. If not he is sniffing glue.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago If our 3 transfers aren't eligible next season and we don't add at least one big that can help us immediately, we are in big trouble in the frontcourt.

Cox has work to do.

If we don't have the transfers next season we will struggle to get to 50 ppg. Goodman somehow just ranked us in his Top 45 for next season, I have to assume he believes the Mitchell twins will play from Day 1. If not he is sniffing glue.
BAR,
Where is Goodman’s Top 45? I didn’t see it
Thanks
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Why are people suddenly talking like there is a shot that the transfer rule won’t pass for next season? I don’t have any sort of insight into this beyond just reading what people close are saying and reading the behavior of players and coaches...it all seems to be pointing in one direction and at this point it would be pretty shocking to me if this rule isn’t approved whenever they can convene to vote on it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The rule is likely to pass. But it’s proposed to begin in 2021-22 not next season.

Ramster check out Goodman’s Twitter he put out his Top 36, which included Richmond, St Louis and PC. Then had others category which included 10 or so teams including UConn, Rhody and Dayton.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Why are people suddenly talking like there is a shot that the transfer rule won’t pass for next season? I don’t have any sort of insight into this beyond just reading what people close are saying and reading the behavior of players and coaches...it all seems to be pointing in one direction and at this point it would be pretty shocking to me if this rule isn’t approved whenever they can convene to vote on it.
Rothstein tweet that said “sources say immediate transfer rule unlikely to come into effect until 21-22 if vote is moved to June 15...” or something like that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh wish they would just make these guys eligible next season
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Why are people suddenly talking like there is a shot that the transfer rule won’t pass for next season? I don’t have any sort of insight into this beyond just reading what people close are saying and reading the behavior of players and coaches...it all seems to be pointing in one direction and at this point it would be pretty shocking to me if this rule isn’t approved whenever they can convene to vote on it.
Rothstein tweet that said “sources say immediate transfer rule unlikely to come into effect until 21-22 if vote is moved to June 15...” or something like that.

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Sources: If the NCAA votes in June to allow a one-time transfer rule with immediate eligibility, it is likely to begin during the 21-22 season.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

For the record, I don't like the proposal. Yes it will help URI for next season as 3 of their transfers they desperately need will be eligible, but in the long run I think it's bad for the sport.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago For the record, I don't like the proposal. Yes it will help URI for next season as 3 of their transfers they desperately need will be eligible, but in the long run I think it's bad for the sport.
+1

It would be absolute chaos.

Plus I'm sure that if it is passed for this upcoming year, there would be a bunch of kids who decide to transfer the day the rule is passed.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago For the record, I don't like the proposal. Yes it will help URI for next season as 3 of their transfers they desperately need will be eligible, but in the long run I think it's bad for the sport.
+1

Plus I'm sure that if it is passed for this upcoming year, there would be a bunch of kids who decide to transfer the day the rule is passed.
That's why I don't think it will go into effect until '21-'22. Because the ruling has been put off until the summer, if it passed this year, teams would have to scramble just to fill out a roster. With hundreds more likely to transfer if it goes through for this season, there wouldn't be enough time for a lot of schools to field a team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
+1

That's why I don't think it will go into effect until '21-'22. Because the ruling has been put off until the summer, if it passed this year, teams would have to scramble just to fill out a roster. With hundreds more likely to transfer if it goes through for this season, there wouldn't be enough time for a lot of schools to field a team.
There are probably 300-600 sitting out. Martin, Mitchell, Mitchell
Most schools have 1,2 or 3 sitting out
Approve for this year all these guys become eligible and rosters can be overflowing. What’s a team going to do if they have a full roster then 3 guys they didn’t expect are now eligible?
How frustrated does that make players who can now have their starting spot lost, or playing time unexpectedly reduced?

The floodgates open and overfill rosters.

It’s going to happen that first year they are ruled eligible and don’t have to wait.

Could give players and teams the option to wait a year or be immediately eligible. And don’t let’s kids transfer between July 1 and 2020-21 season
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Sources: If the NCAA votes in June to allow a one-time transfer rule with immediate eligibility, it is likely to begin during the 21-22 season.

That would be without a doubt the worst possible outcome for URI.

I myself am against this rule change. I would rather it not happen. I take the long term position and am willing to sacrifice this season for stability in future seasons. If it however cannot be stopped and is going to eventually soon happen, given our immediate situation, I would rather see it go into effect for next year.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

+1

There are probably 300-600 sitting out. Martin, Mitchell, Mitchell
Most schools have 1,2 or 3 sitting out
Approve for this year all these guys become eligible and rosters can be overflowing. What’s a team going to do if they have a full roster then 3 guys they didn’t expect are now eligible?
How frustrated does that make players who can now have their starting spot lost, or playing time unexpectedly reduced?

The floodgates open and overfill rosters.

It’s going to happen that first year they are ruled eligible and don’t have to wait.

Could give players and teams the option to wait a year or be immediately eligible. And don’t let’s kids transfer between July 1 and 2020-21 season

Certainly agree that it will be chaos as our level and lower will generally become a minor league for the perceived better league.

However, this must be a done deal, I don't believe someone like Tyrese would take a chance of having to sit a year. That would not make any sense.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

+1

Plus there needs to be a cut off date. In order to be eligible for the next school the following season, you will need to enter the portal by a specific date. I assume before the end of the current school year or some reasonable cut off. That would at least limit the chaos to some extent.

Also, what happens if someone decides to transfer in the first semester? Do they become eligible for the next school the next semester? I hope not - that could cause even worse poaching from teams mid season. At most it should be for the start of the next season if you put yourself in the portal by for example May 15th. If after May 15th, you have to sit the following season. This will at least give some control over the chaos and not completely kill a team with no way to recover for the following season. (I picked May 15th b/c most schools at least around here graduate in mid May, but any reasonable cutoff could suffice).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think it will be a tough adjustment to the immediate transfer rule - teams will now have 13 guys who want PT. The roster is more manageable when you have 10 or 11 eligible players, a few sitting out. The 9-11 on your roster are probably unhappy and looking to move, now 9-13 are going to be unhappy
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

You need a redshirt, and a developmental player, maybe get into the practice of saving the 13th scholarship in the bank.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It will for sure have an impact on freshmen. I think you will see a lot more signing in the fall to lock in a schollie. And the fringe players who hold out(some we have seen already) will think twice since a transfer can play immediately and will have more experience than any freshman or post grad has.
0 x