‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (URI ---> Charleston Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: ‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (Offer)

Unread post by steviep123 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I’m no recruiting guru but why not also take Berry too? It’s not like we don’t have another scholarship. It’s not either Malik or Tres. It could be both. Plus if Malik (and the Twins) need to sit a year they’ll need another player. I don’t see much downside to taking both. If one outplays the other then that player gets the minutes.
Because of expectations. Berry expected to come here and get a shot At significant PT. Those prospects dwindle with the more bodies you bring in. He likely wasn’t going to be in front of Martin. I think the staff did the responsible thing. As of today we have 12 bodies! That’s a lot of mouths to feed
I understand that the more players signed the less PT there is, but then there is competition for PT and those who earn it get it. Which might mean one of them transfers in a year or two. Also, there's no guarantee either the twins or Martin will be eligible next year. Martin also has only 2 years of eligibility. Berry has four. If Berry is a guy that is willing to "pay his dues" and earn his time, why not. But if all recruits are wanting time now, then you're right. We should pivot. I'm still disappointed not having Berry though.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think it's already been mentioned, but hopefully Ousmane will not have a problem considering we also got the Mitchell twins, especially if they are immediately available.

Also a redshirt for Ousmane has ben mentioned if indeed the twins can play right away.....would he be OK with this?

We've gone from a very short roster, to a logjam at the 4 and 5, in a matter of 2 days!

I would like to see Cox get a shooter, either a 2 year transfer or a grad transfer, with the last spot.

With the uncertainly over eligibility, he shouldn't leave that last spot open imo.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think it's already been mentioned, but hopefully Ousmane will not have a problem considering we also got the Mitchell twins, especially if they are immediately available.

Also a redshirt for Ousmane has ben mentioned if indeed the twins can play right away.....would he be OK with this?

We've gone from a very short roster, to a logjam at the 4 and 5, in a matter of 2 days!

I would like to see Cox get a shooter, either a 2 year transfer or a grad transfer, with the last spot.

With the uncertainly over eligibility, he shouldn't leave that last spot open imo.
Agreed. If the twins and Martin were definitely eligible next season, we could afford to hold off on the last scholarship.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I’m no recruiting guru but why not also take Berry too? It’s not like we don’t have another scholarship. It’s not either Malik or Tres. It could be both. Plus if Malik (and the Twins) need to sit a year they’ll need another player. I don’t see much downside to taking both. If one outplays the other then that player gets the minutes.
Because of expectations. Berry expected to come here and get a shot At significant PT. Those prospects dwindle with the more bodies you bring in. He likely wasn’t going to be in front of Martin. I think the staff did the responsible thing. As of today we have 12 bodies! That’s a lot of mouths to feed
I understand that the more players signed the less PT there is, but then there is competition for PT and those who earn it get it. Which might mean one of them transfers in a year or two. Also, there's no guarantee either the twins or Martin will be eligible next year. Martin also has only 2 years of eligibility. Berry has four. If Berry is a guy that is willing to "pay his dues" and earn his time, why not. But if all recruits are wanting time now, then you're right. We should pivot. I'm still disappointed not having Berry though.
You just answered your question, he’s not that kind of guy. It’s a new generation of kids.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I would hold off on that last scholarship until the decision on immediately eligible transfers is made in June. If it’s yes, then we can be selective because we have a full roster and look for a specific need, like an outside shooter. If it’s no, then look for the best available remaining incoming freshman. We should know Fatts’ plans by then as well.
I think we’re all expecting the decision to allow immediate eligibility for transfers. If the answer is no, 2020-2021 will be a rough year, no matter what happens with this last spot.
1 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago I would hold off on that last scholarship until the decision on immediately eligible transfers is made in June. If it’s yes, then we can be selective because we have a full roster and look for a specific need, like an outside shooter. If it’s no, then look for the best available remaining incoming freshman. We should know Fatts’ plans by then as well.
I think we’re all expecting the decision to allow immediate eligibility for transfers. If the answer is no, 2020-2021 will be a rough year, no matter what happens with this last spot.
If the transfers have to sit out our entire bench would be 1st year players (3 frosh and DJ), at this point. Starting lineup would be "ok" but getting W's would be tough - .500 season?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Most coaches are expecting the rule to pass. It’s more or less a formality at this point unless a major curve gets throw in the mix.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Berry learned a valuable lesson...can’t hold a university hostage. He was waiting on the call from another job but hadn’t even been interviewed. I’ll never understand this logic. We wanted him the day of the VCU game. He knew that’s why he kept teasing the fans, it all makes no sense.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Berry learned a valuable lesson...can’t hold a university hostage. He was waiting on the call from another job but hadn’t even been interviewed. I’ll never understand this logic. We wanted him the day of the VCU game. He knew that’s why he kept teasing the fans, it all makes no sense.
It’s a juggling act. Recruits and coaches make mistakes. Don’t forget the Assistant Coach that’s the lead recruiter plays the role of the salesman. They weren’t giving Berry negative signs. The leads job is to pump the recruit up.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he REALLY wanted to come here, you would think he would have committed a while ago.

He also likely figured we would be there for him when he finally did decide, due to the number of openings we had.

He figured wrong.

One question though, did the staff inform him during the last few days that Malik could take his spot if he kept holding out?
3 x
Sox1
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Sox1 »

Any insight as to whether or not this was completely his decision? Kinda feels like he was ready to go until the twins started getting real.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Berry learned a valuable lesson...can’t hold a university hostage. He was waiting on the call from another job but hadn’t even been interviewed. I’ll never understand this logic. We wanted him the day of the VCU game. He knew that’s why he kept teasing the fans, it all makes no sense.
True, but keep in mind he is just a kid. He was obviously excited to play for URI and was probably looking to do it later this week. He made a mistake and learned from it, but no winners in things like this despite this being recruiting 2020. We obviously have been burned in the past and didn’t need to get to that point with Martin available. Overall with the new transfer rule and social media in recruiting, whether it favors or goes against URI the game of college basketball has really suffered in my eyes. Gone are the days of Mathews, Hassan, Wheeler, Mobley, Dowtin, Cyril, Reynolds Dean , Murphy, etc and growing the same team with familiar faces.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
True, but keep in mind he is just a kid. He was obviously excited to play for URI and was probably looking to do it later this week. He made a mistake and learned from it, but no winners in things like this despite this being recruiting 2020. We obviously have been burned in the past and didn’t need to get to that point with Martin available. Overall with the new transfer rule and social media in recruiting, whether it favors or goes against URI the game of college basketball has really suffered in my eyes. Gone are the days of Mathews, Hassan, Wheeler, Mobley, Dowtin, Cyril, Reynolds Dean , Murphy, etc and growing the same team with familiar faces.
He had two months. No excuses in my book.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

He had two months. No excuses in my book.
I didn't realize it's been two months, but if he was at the VCU game (2 months today) and was offered then, he's had (1 day under) 2 months to commit and even had a suggestive tweet about potentially committing. If all he had to do was pick up the phone and didn't, we'll that's on him.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think they will make all the transfers eligible right away because of the virus situation there will be too many sitting out
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Let's crucify the 17 yo kid who can't make up his mind. WOW you people need help.
5 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Let's crucify the 17 yo kid who can't make up his mind. WOW you people need help.
Who’s crucifying him? Players can take as long as they want to choose a school, but the caveat is that not every program will let the offer stand indefinitely. That’s the situation Berry finds himself in. He had a few months to make up his mind, he didn’t, and we went in another direction. I wish him the best.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Let's crucify the 17 yo kid who can't make up his mind. WOW you people need help.
Dumb takeaway.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This happens all the time in recruiting at all schools. It is part of the process that is understandable by the coaches, recruits and parents.
Berry was most likely hoping for a commitment level offer from Vanderbilt.

Take URI’s recruitment of Abou. URI didn’t offer him until March 10th. He had other serious interest from schools that were pursuing him for an offer for several months. And he commits to URI on March 27th.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

These kids know making the right choice is important so they want to make the right decision if they can . I am sure they don’t want to transfer after a year but these new rules will make it possible
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Who's crucifying ? He made his own decision and he is responsible for it. Has nothing to do with being a 17 year old. It is called being responsible for your own actions. That is what so many "kids" need to understand!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So why tease the fans as you say? Used to be these recruiting threads were very short, only a few of us added comments that were mostly based on results from games played and maybe one of us saw a recruit play live. Now the threads are very long, with comments on IG, Twitter, etc etc. Players putting out displays with the logos of all the schools that they have been offered by, then reducing that to their Final 16, Final 8, Final 4.

And now we even have to see the School Logos for the interested schools after they announce they will be transferring and then yet again for the Final 8.

It's nauseating to say the least.

Berry is ranked 396 by 247. After URI he picked up offers from Coastal Carolina and Start Bonaventure. That says something about the level is at in recruiting....and that doesn't give an idea of where in the recruiting logic for those to schools he is at. Is he being looked at to start? be a 6th - 8th rotation player? or fill the end of the benches a practice players with hopes of moving up?

Social Media has changed the recruiting world a ton. Players, Coaches and Fans are all adjusting to it to various degrees of success and failure.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Judging by his social media, he may be sorry he waited. I feel bad for the kid, honestly. He got all caught up with the hype of social media, playing with the RHODY fans. Then never committed. Once Martin committed, it was too late for him. Tough life lesson for an 18 year old.
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

How would his situation been any different if Rese stayed and Malik never transferred in? He would have been playing behind Tyrese.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago How would his situation been any different if Rese stayed and Malik never transferred in? He would have been playing behind Tyrese.
Berry is not a SF (Tyrese is).
Berry was hoping for a commitment offer from Vanderbilt - P5 close to home. They strung him along and he waited longer than he should have.
He was planning to commit to URI today or tomorrow. He gets back to TN from Phoenix today/tonight. He was giving Vandy until today.
He wasn’t given a drop dead date recently by URI so he was caught by surprise. That is no fault of URI. They changed their priority to Malik over Berry and didn’t tell Berry (nor should they have). If Malik said no, URI wanted Berry and he would’ve committed.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
So why tease the fans as you say? Used to be these recruiting threads were very short, only a few of us added comments that were mostly based on results from games played and maybe one of us saw a recruit play live. Now the threads are very long, with comments on IG, Twitter, etc etc. Players putting out displays with the logos of all the schools that they have been offered by, then reducing that to their Final 16, Final 8, Final 4.

And now we even have to see the School Logos for the interested schools after they announce they will be transferring and then yet again for the Final 8.

Berry is ranked 396 by 247. After URI he picked up offers from Coastal Carolina and Start Bonaventure. That says something about the level is at in recruiting....and that doesn't give an idea of where in the recruiting logic for those to schools he is at. Is he being looked at to start? be a 6th - 8th rotation player? or fill the end of the benches a practice players with hopes of moving up?

Social Media has changed the recruiting world a ton. Players, Coaches and Fans are all adjusting to it to various degrees of success and failure.
This is all fine, but can everybody please get past the ranking number when it is someone that doesn’t sign with URI or transfers out. As soon as someone either leaves or doesn’t sign with URI we point out all their flaws. Berry and Leggett were both ranked lower than Wood and I would take both those players over Wood in a heartbeat. You are right in terms of the social media and the whole recruiting process. I don’t like it, but this will be how it is going forward.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is all fine, but can everybody please get past the ranking number when it is someone that doesn’t sign with URI or transfers out. As soon as someone either leaves or doesn’t sign with URI we point out all their flaws. Berry and Leggett were both ranked lower than Wood and I would take both those players over Wood in a heartbeat. You are right in terms of the social media and the whole recruiting process. I don’t like it, but this will be how it is going forward.
Social media is also reliant on how a player plays it. Berry was very active on social media. Not all high school, prep and transfer prospects are. So in Berrys case he gets burnt, then erases all his URI ties.

It all terrible. Even the posts about #1out, #4out.........just go. I’d advise all recruiting prospects to avoid that part of the recruiting process. Just deal with the coaching staffs, leave the public out of it.
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Amen. No need to knock players leaving or not committing when the day before they were all good. Just let it go.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
Amen. No need to knock players leaving or not committing when the day before they were all good. Just let it go.
Or maybe those who know something or want to say a player is not so good don’t say anything to avoid impacting the recruiting process because “players and their families and friends read these boards”

In Berry's Case his Profile in start of the thread was not complete. Maybe his ranking was not known at the time that the Recruiting Thread for him was created.
I certainly did not put that he was ranked #396 after he left purposefully.

In many of these recruiting threads the vast majority of posters want to sign players fast. To post negative things about a prospect is a fine line, I get that. But once the player does not come then it's ok to post the negatives that might have been held back in respect of the process.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Social media is also reliant on how a player plays it. Berry was very active on social media. Not all high school, prep and transfer prospects are. So in Berrys case he gets burnt, then erases all his URI ties.

It all terrible. Even the posts about #1out, #4out.........just go. I’d advise all recruiting prospects to avoid that part of the recruiting process. Just deal with the coaching staffs, leave the public out of it.
Yup. New World
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

All the points being made the past couple of days are exactly why I refuse to follow any athletes on social media. I’m an old dinosaur and refuse to let this stuff effect my life. It all becomes so self absorbed after a while. I know it’s the way of the world now, but I don’t need to be part of it. My daughters will tell me what I need to know. I’ll continue to go to the games and follow the team, but I won’t get caught up in any of the whims of these players on social media. I heard a coach state once or twice “it is what it is”.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The program is in a good spot when they’re telling talented players: sorry, no room at the Kingston Inn
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I wish Tres the best. I don’t believe URI did anything wrong or inappropriate in its recruitment of him, but I also feel for him. Hope everything works out and will follow his college career and root for him (as long as he doesn’t end up at UMass).
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Starting over. This was retweeted by his mother. I think coach jones is an assistant at Scotland.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Starting over. This was retweeted by his mother. I think coach jones is an assistant at Scotland.
The “high major talent” signs with

Toledo
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

No real press about his commitment on his social media or otherwise.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I look forward to re-recruiting him next year or the year after, although I'm sure he doesn't stay in Toledo a 2nd year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Holy Toledo!

That's the best he could do?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago I look forward to re-recruiting him next year or the year after, although I'm sure he doesn't stay in Toledo a 2nd year.
You will never see him in a Rhody uniform. If he has 1-2 good seasons he will look for a power 5 opportunity most likely and I’m not sure things ended on good terms with URI even if it was just the cost of doing business in today’s college basketball.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I'm just glad it wasn't UMass where he could hold a grudge and shred us twice a year
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Re: ‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (Toledo)

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Why is Berry posting a picture with all his offers, URI as well, and indicating a decision is coming, if he already committed to Toledo?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Where was it posted that he had officially decided on Toledo? I never saw anything on his twitter or any other source mention it only on this board.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He never posted Toledo.
I think he just put the top schools he was considering (whether there is still an offer or if they ever offered) on tonight’s post.
He is announcing tomorrow at Noon. It is expected to be Toledo.
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Confusing
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It damn sure isn’t us.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago Where was it posted that he had officially decided on Toledo? I never saw anything on his twitter or any other source mention it only on this board.
Verbalcommits.com had him committing to Toledo.
Numerous people on twitter retweeted the news.
Toledo message board talked of him coming there the day verbalcommits.com announced.
Toledo Basketball Message Board.....
https://csnbbs.com/thread-897421.html

Toledo Blade Newspaper has his commitment in an article- the commitment was from last Thursday night - not tonight.

VERBAL COMMIT: Toledo received a verbal commitment from 2020 three-star wing Norance Berry on Thursday night. Berry (6-foot-3, 185 pounds) played most recently at Scotland Campus in Scotland, Pa. Berry also has offers from Power Five schools Auburn, West Virginia, and Tennessee.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/ut/2 ... 200403106/

B08EB25C-FB21-48FC-994B-97B5C97244AD.png
Attachments
95607F87-FAC8-4FBA-9AB1-70459E18186E.png
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
I’m not sure what to think if he ended up here after his teammate Ousmane decommitted.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago Where was it posted that he had officially decided on Toledo? I never saw anything on his twitter or any other source mention it only on this board.
Verbalcommits.com had him committing to Toledo.
Numerous people on twitter retweeted the news.
Toledo message board talked of him coming there the day verbalcommits.com announced.
Toledo Basketball Message Board.....
https://csnbbs.com/thread-897421.html

Toledo Blade Newspaper has his commitment in an article- the commitment was from last Thursday night - not tonight.

VERBAL COMMIT: Toledo received a verbal commitment from 2020 three-star wing Norance Berry on Thursday night. Berry (6-foot-3, 185 pounds) played most recently at Scotland Campus in Scotland, Pa. Berry also has offers from Power Five schools Auburn, West Virginia, and Tennessee.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/ut/2 ... 200403106/

B08EB25C-FB21-48FC-994B-97B5C97244AD.png
That’s why it’s confusing. Did he commit then de commit? Did Verbal Commits get it wrong?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!