2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Let’s see-this year! They were 16-16 and there would have been a good chance that we lost on the road just like a-10 road games are tough. If we won it wouldn’t have helped us. I’m sure the fraud net ranking is the next thing I will hear. No one reason to do two road games to Virginia Tech for a neutral game at Mohegan. Better teams have come with one or none
What does that have to do with anything? If you're staying away from games because you're afraid you might lose on the road...you're never going to get anywhere... Let's say we had played VT this year and beat them...how many 'better' wins would we have had this year? I won't say it's none, but it ain't a lot...
So you would just give in and not try and find another route. I’m glad your not the AD. Who knows what will work with the new rules, but if the Mohegan games continue URI will play there every two years and they usually have 2-3 quality teams in the tournament. Games like Alabama won’t be easy which I agree with the new schedule, but are we supposed to just kiss up to the power 5 teams? I wouldn’t, but I guess you would
Yes, I would. You need to play P5 schools to increase your relevance. You can pretend that we're among the elite already and don't have to...and sit at home and play Nichols St, UNH, Stetson, Bryant and Lehigh...or, you can play some P5 2 for 1s. I'll take option B.

PS - I'm glad I'm not the AD either...the family wouldn't appreciate the pay cut ;)
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

What does that have to do with anything? If you're staying away from games because you're afraid you might lose on the road...you're never going to get anywhere... Let's say we had played VT this year and beat them...how many 'better' wins would we have had this year? I won't say it's none, but it ain't a lot...
So you would just give in and not try and find another route. I’m glad your not the AD. Who knows what will work with the new rules, but if the Mohegan games continue URI will play there every two years and they usually have 2-3 quality teams in the tournament. Games like Alabama won’t be easy which I agree with the new schedule, but are we supposed to just kiss up to the power 5 teams? I wouldn’t, but I guess you would
Yes, I would. You need to play P5 schools to increase your relevance. You can pretend that we're among the elite already and don't have to...and sit at home and play Nichols St, UNH, Stetson, Bryant and Lehigh...or, you can play some P5 2 for 1s. I'll take option B.

PS - I'm glad I'm not the AD either...the family wouldn't appreciate the pay cut ;)
Believe me that I never think we are on this level. I’m not one to start talking about how awesome we are going to be when we sign the Twins or Martin. I’m probably in the monitoring in thinking we aren’t as good as last years team, but why give them two road games when teams on the same level play in the Mohegan anyway. Of course I would play some road games against power 5 that we likely won’t win, but would concentrate on mid major games.

PS-I guess you are lucky to be in a field not effected by the coronavirus. I’m dealing with food and seafood distributors that are laying everyone off and closing their doors daily.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Believe me that I never think we are on this level. I’m not one to start talking about how awesome we are going to be when we sign the Twins or Martin. I’m probably in the monitoring in thinking we aren’t as good as last years team, but why give them two road games when teams on the same level play in the Mohegan anyway. Of course I would play some road games against power 5 that we likely won’t win, but would concentrate on mid major games.

PS-I guess you are lucky to be in a field not effected by the coronavirus. I’m dealing with food and seafood distributors that are laying everyone off and closing their doors daily.
[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ugh, sorry to hear about your work arena and many others experiencing the same pain. I am extremely fortunate. The field that I'm in is very much impacted by the coronavirus. Not only am I fortunate to still be gainfully employed (from home for at least the last 10 years or so), but it helps knowing that I work for an organization that is doing what it can to help people.

Back to the fantasyworld that is sports...
I think we should gobble up every P5 opportunity we can...almost regardless of circumstances. Why? Because if we don't, they'll just find another MM to take our place. The only thing we can control is whether or not we beat good teams. We cannot control the terms under which we meet those teams... Mediocre teams? Sure, we can control/influence when and where we play them...good, top-level teams, we need to play whenever possible, and that will often be under their terms.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ugh, sorry to hear about your work arena and many others experiencing the same pain. I am extremely fortunate. The field that I'm in is very much impacted by the coronavirus. Not only am I fortunate to still be gainfully employed (from home for at least the last 10 years or so), but it helps knowing that I work for an organization that is doing what it can to help people.

Back to the fantasyworld that is sports...
I think we should gobble up every P5 opportunity we can...almost regardless of circumstances. Why? Because if we don't, they'll just find another MM to take our place. The only thing we can control is whether or not we beat good teams. We cannot control the terms under which we meet those teams... Mediocre teams? Sure, we can control/influence when and where we play them...good, top-level teams, we need to play whenever possible, and that will often be under their terms.
[/quote]
I’m actually still in okay shape. I am one of the lucky ones. It is my customers that I deal with daily who are struggling.

The schedule will be difficult and it seems like although we don’t have a choice playing extra games against the A-10 this will not help us. Playing an extra game against a George Mason or Duquense can not gain us anything and can only hurt. It is a tough thing to balance. Playing the Nichols State’s or low end teams obviously won’t help attendance or our rankings. Everything benefits the power 5 teams
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I know this will sound crazy, and there may be a league rule against this, but why couldn't say, Dayton and URI have a home and home that is in the OOC part of the schedule? (not having anything to do with the A10).
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago I know this will sound crazy, and there may be a league rule against this, but why couldn't say, Dayton and URI have a home and home that is in the OOC part of the schedule? (not having anything to do with the A10).
love it
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago I know this will sound crazy, and there may be a league rule against this, but why couldn't say, Dayton and URI have a home and home that is in the OOC part of the schedule? (not having anything to do with the A10).
Back when realignment first took place, there were teams that played each other in tournaments in what were considered non-league games.

I’m guessing a big part of it gets back to volatility. If URI/Dayton play once in OOC, twice in conference, and once in the conference tournament, but one of those teams is 100+, what is the gain? 1 Q2 and 3 Q3 games? Or 2 Q2 and 2 Q3 games? Is it worth it?

Are you better off playing an almost automatic tournament team on the road in an almost guarantee Q1 game??

Probably so.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

If your only other option is a D2 or D3 opponent, I would say yes. I'm looking at this as a last resort option for schools in similar circumstances, that are having to advertise to find an opponent to fill out their schedule.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

There is no reason to schedule D2 or D3 opponents anymore. It used to make sense in the RPI since playing any opponent 200-250+ would negatively impact your metric. Now because of efficiency, you can at least play a 320 rated team if you have to and assuming you destroy them, will still see some positive impact.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Duke and Kentucky are just examples. Get into tournaments and hope for the best, try and schedule mid major home and home as they are in the same boat. It is all a guess. What if we had UNC at the Mohegan this year for example. It will never happen, but eliminating Fordham and one more A-10 would be a nice start
Do everything: play the tournaments/Mohegan-type events, try and schedule mid-majors with home and home series, AND accept the offers from the Virginia Tech's of the world. You can do all 3, don't be stubborn and limit your approach. You have around 12 or 13 ooc games to work with, you can do all 3 approaches.
2 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

As far as I am aware, that is totally legal, and I think that is a good idea.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Duke and Kentucky are just examples. Get into tournaments and hope for the best, try and schedule mid major home and home as they are in the same boat. It is all a guess. What if we had UNC at the Mohegan this year for example. It will never happen, but eliminating Fordham and one more A-10 would be a nice start
Do everything: play the tournaments/Mohegan-type events, try and schedule mid-majors with home and home series, AND accept the offers from the Virginia Tech's of the world. You can do all 3, don't be stubborn and limit your approach. You have around 11 to 13 ooc games to work with, you can do all 3 approaches.

100 percent agree. The old Temple way. Play anybody anywhere. Dont take the high road unless you have already paved it. Play Virginia Tech twice on the road and one time at mohegan. If it's really hard to get someone like that in the Ryan Center now, then beat them and let it fuel your resume and get to the NCAA tournament. Go to the tournament enough and you might get more power teams to schedule home and homes.

Another thing, Virginia Tech is way better than some realizes. They went 16-16 last year with a brand new coach and the youngest team in college basketball. They had like 3 guys that enrolled early. Coming off three straight tournaments. They are recruiting very well and they will be in the tournament sooner rather than later. I mean they wont be any worse than a Q2 win or loss. More likely to be a Q1 over the next few years. Q1 games is what we want right???
3 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Yes - get Q1 games anyway you can. The way of the NET
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unless things have changed in the last several years, this is legal. Xavier and Butler played each other both during the non-conference and conference schedule several years ago. I think that was the one year when Butler was in the A10, the ooc game had already been scheduled before Butler joined the A10.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Yes, it was in 2012-2013, the one year when Butler was in the A10. Butler played at Xavier in a non-con game, and then Xavier played at Butler in a conference game.

http://realtimerpi.com/2012-2013/rpi_121_Men.html

http://realtimerpi.com/2012-2013/rpi_atl10_Men.html
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

RamStock wrote: 4 years agoThe schedule will be difficult and it seems like although we don’t have a choice playing extra games against the A-10 this will not help us. Playing an extra game against a George Mason or Duquense can not gain us anything and can only hurt. It is a tough thing to balance. Playing the Nichols State’s or low end teams obviously won’t help attendance or our rankings. Everything benefits the power 5 teams
Playing extra games against the top end A10 teams will help you, playing the lower A10 teams will not help you. Playing the middle A10 teams might help you.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Va Tech at their place is a dream from a scheduling perspective. Probably the best game that you can play as a bubble-ish non-P5 program is a team with a NET of 65-75 on the road. That is as winnable of a Q1 game as you’re going to get, and Va Tech might be as likely to finish in that range as any team in the country in any given year. I’d sign up to play them on the road three years in a row without a return game of any kind. I’m a season ticket holder so I’m not entirely disinterested in the quality of the teams that come thru in OOC, but compared to putting together a tournament resume it is not even on the same planet. If I had to choose, give me the games that improve the team’s chances to get an at-large over a chance to play a name brand at home.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Two road games for one neutral site game against Virginia Tech, or a school of their caliber is a horrible deal. This isn't Duke or Kentucky we're talking about
No, not a bad deal at all IMO, you should take that deal, I would take that deal.

I have been to Blacksburg once, pretty area and pretty campus. Drove up to the mountaintop resort where part of the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed.

Thought Dirty Dancing was filmed down in Lake Lure NC, FWIW, a long haul from Blacksburg. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But I agree with your point that we need to take what we can get. This idea that we hold any cards in scheduling deals with Power 5/BE teams is unfortunately not true.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago
Thought Dirty Dancing was filmed down in Lake Lure NC, FWIW, a long haul from Blacksburg. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Part if was filmed at Lake Lure, part at Pembroke/Mountain Lake, Virginia. The lake at the mountaintop is a natural lake and is all dried up now...the Kellerman's resort main building is still there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_D ... production:

For a location, they did not find anything suitable in the Catskills (as many of the resorts had been shut down at that point), so they decided on a combination of two locations: Lake Lure, North Carolina and the Mountain Lake Hotel near Pembroke, Virginia, and with careful editing made it look like all shooting was done in the same area.[16]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Dancing#Filming:

Scenes filmed at Mountain Lake included dining scenes, Kellerman's Hotel, the beach games, the Houseman family's cabins, and the water lift scene.[28] and Penny crying in the kitchen.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Thanks for the info DFF. Do agree we should take the deal with Va Tech
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"Nobody puts Va. Tech in the corner."
3 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Thanks for the info DFF. Do agree we should take the deal with Va Tech
We were just passing thru on our way back home from Florida, I wanted to see what VT looked like, so we spent the night there. We ate dinner at Ceritano's Ristorante in Blacksburg, and we asked the waiter what there was to see and do locally, and he told us about the Dirty Dancing filming location. I never would have known about it otherwise. It was a pleasant little surprise side trip up to the resort, about 30? minutes from campus to the resort. A twisting, turning uphill drive for the last 15 minutes going up the mountain.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

On second thought, maybe the VT offer should be rejected...I am not sure...just seems like things are getting harder and harder in scheduling...this sort of offer might be the new norm...I just have always been more inclined to accept that sort of offer rather than just reject it if there is nothing equivalent or better to replace it with. I would rather take a road loss at VT than get a worthless home win against a scrub NET 200+ team that is the replacement game.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Va Tech at their place is a dream from a scheduling perspective. Probably the best game that you can play as a bubble-ish non-P5 program is a team with a NET of 65-75 on the road. That is as winnable of a Q1 game as you’re going to get, and Va Tech might be as likely to finish in that range as any team in the country in any given year. I’d sign up to play them on the road three years in a row without a return game of any kind. I’m a season ticket holder so I’m not entirely disinterested in the quality of the teams that come thru in OOC, but compared to putting together a tournament resume it is not even on the same planet. If I had to choose, give me the games that improve the team’s chances to get an at-large over a chance to play a name brand at home.
You realize that you are still going to see those awful teams come into the Ryan Center? Nothing changes with your three year trip to Virginia Tech.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Va Tech at their place is a dream from a scheduling perspective. Probably the best game that you can play as a bubble-ish non-P5 program is a team with a NET of 65-75 on the road. That is as winnable of a Q1 game as you’re going to get, and Va Tech might be as likely to finish in that range as any team in the country in any given year. I’d sign up to play them on the road three years in a row without a return game of any kind. I’m a season ticket holder so I’m not entirely disinterested in the quality of the teams that come thru in OOC, but compared to putting together a tournament resume it is not even on the same planet. If I had to choose, give me the games that improve the team’s chances to get an at-large over a chance to play a name brand at home.
You realize that you are still going to see those awful teams come into the Ryan Center? Nothing changes with your three year trip to Virginia Tech.
Right...we should only play sucky teams that are willing to do H & H with us. Got it.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Right...we should only play sucky teams that are willing to do H & H with us. Got it.
Glad you it finally sunk it for you! That is what I am saying. Hunt down Bryant and Central Connecticut and try sign up for 10 years of home and homes.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t have any idea what you’re talking about, but I’m pretty confident from reading this that you have no idea what I was talking about, either. So at least we’re even.

Also, someone weighed in on this by giving their opinion of Blacksburg...I just can’t imagine giving any shits about this lol. Someone else said Va Tech isn’t Duke or Kentucky...no kidding! That is the whole point - signing up to go to Duke is signing up for a loss, so the only cool thing about it is getting on National TV maybe and saying to you played Duke. Going to Va Tech gives you a very legit chance to get a Q1 win. 100% of my concern with the schedule is resume - not cool road trips to nice college towns, not the value of my season ticket on the secondary market, etc. I would volunteer to play at Va Tech literally every single year forever with no return game ever because in a vacuum a game at Va Tech is a good thing on the schedule as a winnable Q1 OOC game. End of story for me.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
I don’t have any idea what you’re talking about, but I’m pretty confident from reading this that you have no idea what I was talking about, either. So at least we’re even.

Also, someone weighed in on this by giving their opinion of Blacksburg...I just can’t imagine giving any shits about this lol. Someone else said Va Tech isn’t Duke or Kentucky...no kidding! That is the whole point - signing up to go to Duke is signing up for a loss, so the only cool thing about it is getting on National TV maybe and saying to you played Duke. Going to Va Tech gives you a very legit chance to get a Q1 win. 100% of my concern with the schedule is resume - not cool road trips to nice college towns, not the value of my season ticket on the secondary market, etc. I would volunteer to play at Va Tech literally every single year forever with no return game ever because in a vacuum a game at Va Tech is a good thing on the schedule as a winnable Q1 OOC game. End of story for me.
I get exactly what you are talking about believe it or not. You are not explaining something that is rocket science. I get it that they are never winning at Duke, but you think they are going to get a Quad one win over Virginia Tech-great. I get it, that even when VT is bad like this year it can turn into a quad one due to the manipulated system. They are going to lose this game almost every year, which is fine because won’t be a”bad loss”. Maybe they win that game this year when they are 16-16, but probably not. My point was that teams like WVU, Alabama, VT, Kansas State, Iowa State, NC State are games that you can schedule on the road, even with a limited schedule these days, without a return game. You don’t need to kiss their feet and say we will do three straight games at your place. URI seems to play in the Mohegan every 2-3 years and two pretty good teams play there No matter what. I would look at trying to get some quality mid majors for home and home or even 2 for 1’s if it was Houston or Wichita State. At least you get some quality home games. Road games against power 5 teams with no returns are still available. They like filling out the OC schedule with quad 2 or maybe 3 that they should win. I agree that it is a waste playing cupcakes at home. I think trying to get creative to get some OC home games isn’t the worst thing. Give me a two for one with Houston with a home game over three straight with VT-if they can get if from them. It is still a winnable Quad 1 game. I’m done also on topic.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I get exactly what you are talking about believe it or not. You are not explaining something that is rocket science. I get it that they are never winning at Duke, but you think they are going to get a Quad one win over Virginia Tech-great. I get it, that even when VT is bad like this year it can turn into a quad one due to the manipulated system. They are going to lose this game almost every year, which is fine because won’t be a”bad loss”. Maybe they win that game this year when they are 16-16, but probably not. My point was that teams like WVU, Alabama, VT, Kansas State, Iowa State, NC State are games that you can schedule on the road, even with a limited schedule these days, without a return game. You don’t need to kiss their feet and say we will do three straight games at your place. URI seems to play in the Mohegan every 2-3 years and two pretty good teams play there No matter what. I would look at trying to get some quality mid majors for home and home or even 2 for 1’s if it was Houston or Wichita State. At least you get some quality home games. Road games against power 5 teams with no returns are still available. They like filling out the OC schedule with quad 2 or maybe 3 that they should win. I agree that it is a waste playing cupcakes at home. I think trying to get creative to get some OC home games isn’t the worst thing. Give me a two for one with Houston with a home game over three straight with VT-if they can get if from them. It is still a winnable Quad 1 game. I’m done also on topic.
Well, I am not done on this topic yet, lol.

With all due respect, you are assuming a lot of things are true in your post:

-RI would have gotten a q1 win road win 12 times at VT since 1993-1994...a q2 road win 17 times since 1993-1994...that is about 12 out of 27 times, 44%, and 17 out of 27, 63%...not bad percentages

-RI imo would not lose at VT almost every time, that is the whole point, this is a winnable, good road game.

-getting 1 neutral game in exchange for 1 road game series like with WV may be a thing of the past with p5 20 game league schedules, the VT offer may in fact be the new norm

-the number of good teams willing to play the Mohegan Sun event may be a thing of the past too

-you may not be able to get Houston or Wichita to even do a 2 for 1

-a one way road game at a p5 school with no return game at RI may be accurate, you can likely still get a one way road game at a p5 school
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We we won at VT the last time we played there...

Just saying!
0 x
Go Rhody
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Play P5s anywhere at any time. I'd do the VT deal and still call up a different P5 school every year to get an away game.
Recruits aren't coming to URI so they can play MTSU and North Texas (no offense to those schools, they are good mid major schools).
To say we can't win games on the road against a school like VT means we shouldn't even be thinking about the tournament every year. Yes it is harder to win in someone else's gym but that's what you have to do to reach the tournament now. If we had a better final 90 seconds against Maryland we would have been in this year even with our late stumble. I still remember going to LSU with EC and Xavier lighting it up. Those are the games that prove you belong.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Remember someone saying they heard Thor talking to somebody at a restaurant about how Virginia Tech wanted to do a game at the Mohegan and two games in blacksburg? We didnt take it because its Ryan Center or no.

I'm feeling like Virginia Tech anywhere on the schedule would be great right now. I mean it was amazing getting Alabama in here and we seized that opportunity big time, but you take that deal with Tech and you get three, bare minimum Q2 games over a three year span.

Can we call them back up and tell them we want to hang out now? Go beat them in Balcksburg and all they need to do is finish 75th and its Q1 party time. I'd also get to rub it in to my VT friends :)
So all these pages of heated discussion are about a VT game is from a suggestion. There is nothing in the table.

Continue
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yes, playing a P5 on the road with no return game is way better than scheduling Lehigh at home.

Getting a home and home with a P5 will also be a thing of the past. 2 for 1's and/or playing at Mohegan might still be possible.

Creative scheduling is a must. The home OOC will suck more often than not, but what else is there?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Play P5s anywhere at any time. I'd do the VT deal and still call up a different P5 school every year to get an away game.
Recruits aren't coming to URI so they can play MTSU and North Texas (no offense to those schools, they are good mid major schools).
To say we can't win games on the road against a school like VT means we shouldn't even be thinking about the tournament every year. Yes it is harder to win in someone else's gym but that's what you have to do to reach the tournament now. If we had a better final 90 seconds against Maryland we would have been in this year even with our late stumble. I still remember going to LSU with EC and Xavier lighting it up. Those are the games that prove you belong.
West Virginia not Maryland.

Not sure about us being in even if we had won that game. Maybe if we had beaten Davidson or St. Louis along with that.

Not that it matters now.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago We we won at VT the last time we played there...

Just saying!
We actually lost in Dan's first year.
They also came to the Ryan Center in Barons last year.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Remember someone saying they heard Thor talking to somebody at a restaurant about how Virginia Tech wanted to do a game at the Mohegan and two games in blacksburg? We didnt take it because its Ryan Center or no.

I'm feeling like Virginia Tech anywhere on the schedule would be great right now. I mean it was amazing getting Alabama in here and we seized that opportunity big time, but you take that deal with Tech and you get three, bare minimum Q2 games over a three year span.

Can we call them back up and tell them we want to hang out now? Go beat them in Balcksburg and all they need to do is finish 75th and its Q1 party time. I'd also get to rub it in to my VT friends :)
So all these pages of heated discussion are about a VT game is from a suggestion. There is nothing in the table.

Continue
There was something on the table, but it was a report from last year and Thor didn't take it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Take it now if they offer it again.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Continue
There was something on the table, but it was a report from last year and Thor didn't take it.
Correct. There is nothing on the table in 2020
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago We we won at VT the last time we played there...

Just saying!
We actually lost in Dan's first year.
They also came to the Ryan Center in Barons last year.
My mistake, without checking, last game i remember playing them was at their place in the NIT.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I think it is crazy to take a 2 for 1 if the 1 isn't at the Ryan Center. I'd rather either just play a road game or a 1 for 1 if our home is at Mohegan (like the W Va series). Unless it's Duke, UNC, or Kentucky, you shouldn't take a 2 for 1 and not get a home game.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Whether there is something on the table or not isn’t the point. This is a discussion about scheduling philosophy, and Va Tech is a stand-in in the discussion for any similarly situated program and how URI should think about putting together its schedule. With respect to scheduling, I’d always prefer a “both and” approach in terms of getting series with strong high- and mid-major programs and getting games on the schedule with P5 teams who will always end up with good computer ratings because of SOS, regardless of whether you get a return or it’s just a straight buy game. My comments about Va Tech were about repudiating the idea that we are “above” getting bought and should only entertain a series against other programs that include a return home game. Scheduling cannot be about ego or pride for URI, it has to be about metrics and resume.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sure it’s the point. It was overheard in a conversation last year. The AD said he wouldn’t do it. So it’s not going to get done because the AD said he wouldn’t consider it.
Carry on, it’s better than the news, I guess.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Whether there is something on the table or not isn’t the point. This is a discussion about scheduling philosophy, and Va Tech is a stand-in in the discussion for any similarly situated program and how URI should think about putting together its schedule. With respect to scheduling, I’d always prefer a “both and” approach in terms of getting series with strong high- and mid-major programs and getting games on the schedule with P5 teams who will always end up with good computer ratings because of SOS, regardless of whether you get a return or it’s just a straight buy game. My comments about Va Tech were about repudiating the idea that we are “above” getting bought and should only entertain a series against other programs that include a return home game. Scheduling cannot be about ego or pride for URI, it has to be about metrics and resume.
I agree with you completely on the idea that we are not above getting bought out. In fact I agree that we have to do this not only for increasing NET rankings, but we also need the money financially speaking.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

So basically our pride got in the way of a 31st game at VT last year. We didn't replace it with Lehigh, we replaced it with nothing. What if we went down there and won?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago So basically our pride got in the way of a 31st game at VT last year. We didn't replace it with Lehigh, we replaced it with nothing. What if we went down there and won?
Nope. They HAVE to play here, because...because...wait...because why?
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I say let’s not even play OOC games at the RC let’s just play every OOC game on the road. Bend over and take it!
3 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years agoWhat if we went down there and won?
I ran the teamcast, winning at VT got you a q2 win, but it did not improve your spot regarding the bubble at all. You were the 11th team out both before and after the game at VT.

With 30 games already baked into your spot on the bubble, it takes a real solid win or multiple less solid wins to move the needle.

http://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?rank ... m=&x5_res=
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Thanks DFF interesting stuff. Look I’m a season ticket holder and want to see good games at the Ryan Center as much as anyone but I think our opportunities will be few and far between for P5 home games. May have to play atMohegan to get them. Home and homes will have to be with with higher level mid majors like we’ve been doing. I’m ok with seeing good SoCon, CUSA, MVC etc. Vermont has been mentioned on this board and agree they would seem like a decent match.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Thanks DFF interesting stuff. Look I’m a season ticket holder and want to see good games at the Ryan Center as much as anyone but I think our opportunities will be few and far between for P5 home games. May have to play atMohegan to get them. Home and homes will have to be with with higher level mid majors like we’ve been doing. I’m ok with seeing good SoCon, CUSA, MVC etc. Vermont has been mentioned on this board and agree they would seem like a decent match.
Agree that we need to schedule more games with those conferences.....might be the best we can do, if we want any decent home OOC games.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Then there is Bryant, Maine, UNH, CCSU etc and 20 win seasons with happy pink hats leaving the Ryan Center. You can follow the money to see how decisions are being made when you have a poor program.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!