2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Sure but with teams reducing their OOC schedule, they are more likely to be risk averse, meaning less likely to take risks on series. “They may be good for two years” is likely not an adequate threshold.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It boils down to this....

Mid majors have to take advantage and WIN at least some of their very few opportunities in the OOC part of their schedules, since their leagues usually doesn't offer many chances to win Q1 or Q2 games.

That's the way it is, and it will become even more important in the future. Games against P5's are getting harder and harder to get.

With 20 game leagues schedules you only get 11 OOC games tops, and usually 3 or 4 of them are within a holiday tourney.

In URI's case they get 2 games within that tourney with a chance for a good win.

So for the other 7 or 8 OOC games that are left, URI might get 2 or 3 tops that are against better teams.

Have to win some of those...and then not screw up too often against the bottom feeders of their league.

Just no margin for error anymore....that's life for schools like URI.

One thing's for sure...It doesn't help our OOC home schedule since nobody good will play us here....and the resulting poor attendance that results from that.

We're not Dayton or VCU when it comes to our fan base either.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Two road games for one neutral site game against Virginia Tech, or a school of their caliber is a horrible deal. This isn't Duke or Kentucky we're talking about
No, not a bad deal at all IMO, you should take that deal, I would take that deal.

I have been to Blacksburg once, pretty area and pretty campus. Drove up to the mountaintop resort where part of the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago It boils down to this....

Mid majors have to take advantage and WIN at least some of their very few opportunities in the OOC part of their schedules, since their leagues usually doesn't offer many chances to win Q1 or Q2 games.

That's the way it is, and it will become even more important in the future. Games against P5's are getting harder and harder to get.

With 20 game leagues schedules you only get 11 OOC games tops, and usually 3 or 4 of them are within a holiday tourney.

In URI's case they get 2 games within that tourney with a chance for a good win.

So for the other 7 or 8 OOC games that are left, URI might get 2 or 3 tops that are against better teams.

Have to win some of those...and then not screw up too often against the bottom feeders of their league.

Just no margin for error anymore....that's life for schools like URI.

One thing's for sure...It doesn't help our OOC home schedule since nobody good will play us here....and the resulting poor attendance that results from that.

We're not Dayton or VCU when it comes to our fan base either.
You guys have done a better job scheduling, at least recently, than we have imo. I wish we were more aggressive with scheduling like you guys are.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Is the Mohegan Sun in what would be considered the NY media market!
No it’s in the small New London-Norwich market. New York doesn’t care about anything east of Fairfield.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
Two road games for one neutral site game against Virginia Tech, or a school of their caliber is a horrible deal. This isn't Duke or Kentucky we're talking about
No, not a bad deal at all IMO, you should take that deal, I would take that deal.

I have been to Blacksburg once, pretty area and pretty campus. Drove up to the mountaintop resort where part of the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed.
It really does us little good. They aren’t that great a program to give two road games and get a neutral court game. Better off playing a good mid major with home and home. One road game for the Mohegan is fine.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I hate to say it, but we might have to take it on the chin when it comes to playing P5's.

If we're going to get games with the bigger programs, the road will be where it's at.

We will have to adopt the Temple model when Chaney was there.

Not by choice like he did, but by necessity.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

You guys, for the last 2 years, have been willing to play 15 road/neutral games. A lot of the good non-p5 schools, except us, have done this: RI, Davidson, VCU, Butler(pre-BE and while in the BE), Xavier(pre-BE and while in the BE), Gonzaga, New Mexico, BYU, Temple, Nevada, Wichita State, and probably others.

In our entire history, we have never done that, sadly, all we really care about is making money off of our home games.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago It really does us little good. They aren’t that great a program to give two road games and get a neutral court game. Better off playing a good mid major with home and home. One road game for the Mohegan is fine.
??? VT has gone to the NCAAT 3 out of the last 4 years.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago It really does us little good. They aren’t that great a program to give two road games and get a neutral court game. Better off playing a good mid major with home and home. One road game for the Mohegan is fine.
This does URI no good. We can play Duke, Kentucky or whatever team we want if we are going to their place for two road games with nothing in return. The Mohegan has teams that play here every year that are as good as Virginia Tech without offering two road games in return
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

They were 16-16 this year. Not an NCAA team to me this year. Up and down
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Is the Mohegan Sun in what would be considered the NY media market!
No it’s in the small New London-Norwich market. New York doesn’t care about anything east of Fairfield.
What about UConn games being on SKY TV from Storrs and Hartford?
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
This does URI no good. We can play Duke, Kentucky or whatever team we want if we are going to their place for two road games with nothing in return. The Mohegan has teams that play here every year that are as good as Virginia Tech without offering two road games in return
How many times have you guys played at Mohegan and who have been the opponents? Can you get Mohegan every single year?

Sorry, but you guys can not get a neutral game with Duke, UK, or whoever you want in exchange for 2 road games. Not gonna happen.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Ok, so who are you going go be able to schedule that is better than the VT deal? Give me some names of willing mid--majors.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ok, so who are you going go be able to schedule that is better than the VT deal? Give me some names of willing mid--majors.
Alabama - just did it
Nebraska
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

We should take as many of those type deals as we can get. Win some and it could be a key rep-builder. Waiting for these schools to come to Kingstown 1 for 1, is getting us nowhere except waiting for _______ . Stop giving the 2 for 1 offers the Heisman - take some and win some, and we'll be in a much better spot.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Mohegan games (some are Hall of Fame games) Duke, Seton Hall, West Virginia, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I would start with Home and homes with these teams: I would rather schedule some of these and than try to either get 2 for 1”s or tournaments. Why cater to the power with a team like Virginia Tech that does nothing to help us

Western Kentucky
Belmont
Murray state
Easy Tennessee State
Furman
Unc Greensboro
Stephen Austin
St. Mary’s
BYU
New Mexico State
Wichita State
Houston
SMU
Vermont
Harvard
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I would start with Home and homes with these teams: I would rather schedule some of these and than try to either get 2 for 1”s or tournaments. Why cater to the power with a team like Virginia Tech that does nothing to help us

Western Kentucky
Belmont
Murray state
Easy Tennessee State
Furman
Unc Greensboro
Stephen Austin
St. Mary’s
BYU
New Mexico State
Wichita State
Houston
SMU
Vermont
Harvard
When was the last time a win over Va Tech would NOT have "helped us"? How many times in the last 10 years would such a win not have helped us? (Channels Ramster...)
2 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Alabama - just did it
Nebraska
Yeah, but you are not getting those type of series every single year...you are moving the goalposts.

If you get a VT-type offer, you should take it every single time...stop saying no...quit forcing the p5 to bend to your will, the p5 does not need you, but you need them.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Alabama - just did it
Nebraska
Yeah, but you are not getting those type of series every single year...you are moving the goalposts.

If you get a VT-type offer, you should take it every single time.
F* VT. A10 defector.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Western Kentucky
Belmont
Murray state
Easy Tennessee State
Furman guy
Unc Greensboro
Stephen Austin
St. Mary’s
BYU
New Mexico State
Wichita State
Houston
SMU
Vermont
Harvard
When was the last time a win over Va Tech would NOT have "helped us"? How many times in the last 10 years would such a win not have helped us? (Channels Ramster...)
Let’s see-this year! They were 16-16 and there would have been a good chance that we lost on the road just like a-10 road games are tough. If we won it wouldn’t have helped us. I’m sure the fraud net ranking is the next thing I will hear. No one reason to do two road games to Virginia Tech for a neutral game at Mohegan. Better teams have come with one or none
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Alabama - just did it
Nebraska

If you get a VT-type offer, you should take it every single time...stop saying no...quit forcing the p5 to bend to your will, the p5 does not need you, but you need them.
The NET rankings are all fraudulent when teams like DePaul are still ranked high. What do we need this type of series for? Where do we benefit from this when we could go play single or two games at Duke or Kentucky with no return
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Western Kentucky
Belmont
Murray state
Easy Tennessee State
Furman
Unc Greensboro
Stephen Austin
St. Mary’s
BYU
New Mexico State
Wichita State
Houston
SMU
Vermont
Harvard
I think you are really dreaming if you think every one of those schools is going to agree to a home and home series, I do not think you realize how tough scheduling has become in today's world.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

We supposedly had to BEG Saint Mary's to play us in a home and home series.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

I am very skeptical if you get Wichita State, Houston, or SMU to agree to a home and home. The others are all hit or miss, not consistently good programs every single year.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

here do we benefit from this when we could go play single or two games at Duke or Kentucky with no return
Because Duke and Kentucky are not agreeing to that series?

In reduced OOC environment, all of their quality opponents pretty much occur in season tournaments, exclusive neutral court games, and challenge games.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Alabama - just did it
Nebraska

The NET rankings are all fraudulent when teams like DePaul are still ranked high. What do we need this type of series for? Where do we benefit from this when we could go play single or two games at Duke or Kentucky with no return
I never said 2 road games at Duke or UK...I said 2 road games PLUS a neutral game...big difference...and I never said Duke or UK, I said VT...another big difference.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
here do we benefit from this when we could go play single or two games at Duke or Kentucky with no return
Because Duke and Kentucky are not agreeing to that series?
They wouldn’t agree to us playing 1-2 road games at their place with no returns-neutral or home? I think you are wrong. These teams will always play teams if they are home games. What would they lose from it?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I never said 2 road games at Duke or UK...I said 2 road games PLUS a neutral game...big difference...and I never said Duke or UK, I said VT...another big difference.
I would take the Duke and Kentucky two for 1 neutral in a heartbeat. Not VT.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

I will agree that BYU is a good example, but you might have to beg them to play you in a home and home like we had to beg Saint Mary's.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Western Kentucky
Belmont
Murray state
Easy Tennessee State
Furman
Unc Greensboro
Stephen Austin
St. Mary’s
BYU
New Mexico State
Wichita State
Houston
SMU
Vermont
Harvard
I think you are really dreaming if you think every one of those schools is going to agree to a home and home series, I do not think you realize how tough scheduling has become in today's world.
Pretty sure I’m not dreaming from this large a list. I didn’t exactly list any Power 5’s on here
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago I will agree that BYU is a good example, but you might have to beg them to play you in a home and home like we had to beg Saint Mary's.
But Alabama will play a home and home with us. So we couldn’t find a few 2 for 1’s or home and home with mid majors?
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

And again, you are NEVER going to get Duke or UK to agree to that arraignment. Keep dreaming.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago I will agree that BYU is a good example, but you might have to beg them to play you in a home and home like we had to beg Saint Mary's.
But Alabama will play a home and home with us. So we couldn’t find a few 2 for 1’s or home and home with mid majors?
Again, you are not getting an Alabama type series every single year. The Alabama and Nebraska series were spaced out over the last 6 years, you had 2 years missing...4 years yes but 2 years with nothing.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

These teams are now cutting their OOC's to 11 games.

Look at Duke -- they'll play Michigan St in the Champions Classic, 3 games in the Battle 4 Atlantis, and a Big 10 challenge game. If they were to commit to one more difficult game, I'd bet it's a neutral court game in NYC against a Top 25ish opponent. The rest of their schedule will be against the more creampuff type opponents. Same thing will be true of Kentucky. They can play anybody they want. Less games means more exclusivity. If you want to play those teams you'll need to be a perennial tournament team and even then it may not happen.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Also, the advent of 20 game p5 league schedules is going to make the Alabama and Nebraska series even harder to get going forward. The first of those series started 6 years ago, a lot has changed in the last 6 years.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would pass on that deal with VT I would do one road game and one nuetral not 2 road games
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

And again, you are NEVER going to get Duke or UK to agree to that arraignment. Keep dreaming.
I get that!!! Why do you think what I said was I would rather play 1-2 road games against them with nothing in return. A neutral game at Mohegan is worth nothing from Virginia Tech
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Look at Duke -- they'll play Michigan St in the Champions Classic, 3 games in the Battle 4 Atlantis, and a Big 10 challenge game. If they were to commit to one more difficult game, I'd bet it's a neutral court game in NYC against a Top 25ish opponent. The rest of their schedule will be against the more creampuff type opponents. Same thing will be true of Kentucky. They can play anybody they want. Less games means more exclusivity. If you want to play those teams you'll need to be a perennial tournament team and even then it may not happen.
Than play cream puffs I guess. College basketball has already gone down a bad road with the transfer rule and the increased conference schedule.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

What does Blacksburg being a nice campus have to do with helping URI scheduling?
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

I get that!!! Why do you think what I said was I would rather play 1-2 road games against them with nothing in return. A neutral game at Mohegan is worth nothing from Virginia Tech
Sigh...agree to disagree...a neutral game with VT at Mohegan is worth a lot imo...I would take that game in a heartbeat.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

What does Blacksburg being a nice campus have to do with helping URI scheduling?
Haha...it has nothing to do with anything...it was just a rando comment...lol
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Than play cream puffs I guess. College basketball has already gone down a bad road with the transfer rule and the increased conference schedule.
What more do you want from them? Last year isn't a great example but they'll go into conference play and play 6-8 Q1 games and 6-8 Q2 games. They play plenty of difficult conference games and a number of difficult OOC games. Why should Duke or Kentucky have to play anyone and everyone who wants to play them OOC while also playing much stronger conference schedules? Scheduling is strategic and committing to known commodities. Unpredictability is a scheduler's nightmare.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Western Kentucky
Belmont
Murray state
Easy Tennessee State
Furman guy
Unc Greensboro
Stephen Austin
St. Mary’s
BYU
New Mexico State
Wichita State
Houston
SMU
Vermont
Harvard
Let’s see-this year! They were 16-16 and there would have been a good chance that we lost on the road just like a-10 road games are tough. If we won it wouldn’t have helped us. I’m sure the fraud net ranking is the next thing I will hear. No one reason to do two road games to Virginia Tech for a neutral game at Mohegan. Better teams have come with one or none
That kinda tood will get us no-place....
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Western Kentucky
Belmont
Murray state
Easy Tennessee State
Furman guy
Unc Greensboro
Stephen Austin
St. Mary’s
BYU
New Mexico State
Wichita State
Houston
SMU
Vermont
Harvard
What does that have to do with anything? If you're staying away from games because you're afraid you might lose on the road...you're never going to get anywhere... Let's say we had played VT this year and beat them...how many 'better' wins would we have had this year? I won't say it's none, but it ain't a lot...
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Haha...it has nothing to do with anything...it was just a rando comment...lol
LOL-just busting into you
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

What more do you want from them? Last year isn't a great example but they'll go into conference play and play 6-8 Q1 games and 6-8 Q2 games. They play plenty of difficult conference games and a number of difficult OOC games. Why should Duke or Kentucky have to play anyone and everyone who wants to play them OOC while also playing much stronger conference schedules? Scheduling is strategic and committing to known commodities. Unpredictability is a scheduler's nightmare.
Duke and Kentucky are just examples. Get into tournaments and hope for the best, try and schedule mid major home and home as they are in the same boat. It is all a guess. What if we had UNC at the Mohegan this year for example. It will never happen, but eliminating Fordham and one more A-10 would be a nice start
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

That kinda tood will get us no-place....
What??
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

What does that have to do with anything? If you're staying away from games because you're afraid you might lose on the road...you're never going to get anywhere... Let's say we had played VT this year and beat them...how many 'better' wins would we have had this year? I won't say it's none, but it ain't a lot...
So you would just give in and not try and find another route. I’m glad your not the AD. Who knows what will work with the new rules, but if the Mohegan games continue URI will play there every two years and they usually have 2-3 quality teams in the tournament. Games like Alabama won’t be easy which I agree with the new schedule, but are we supposed to just kiss up to the power 5 teams? I wouldn’t, but I guess you would
0 x