Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Tyrese Martin to Transfer

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago DC, I wish I could be as sure as you seem to be, that we are about to land some talented recruits.

Until an announcement is made, nothing is 100% certain imo. I guess Berry is still a few days away from making an announcement.

As for the Mitchell twins, if they need to visit...it could be summer before they can.....and are we going to hold 2 positions open for them and not be sure they will like it here and commit? That makes no sense. I could understand leaving one position open, but not two.

I would rather we get a couple of transfers much sooner while they are available.

Also, if we get Berry, do we need Gage?
Bone, just trust me on this. It will all happen sooner than I initially thought.

I don’t know the logistics behind Gage, I’d take him, but I don’t think we will in the end.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ideal class is Ousmane, Twins, Berry and Ellis. That’s a home run.
7 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I hope you're right.

I'm holding you to this! lol
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

DC, that ideal class is a game winning grand slam with two outs in the bottom of the 9th!!!!!!!!!!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Even Ousmane twins Tres and a decent transfer that would be great too
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Even Ousmane twins Tres and a decent transfer that would be great too
Agreed. Ellis is a long shot. Still think we are as a good a fit as any.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago How many transfers were playing more than 30 minutes a game like Tyrese?
Bingo. I don’t mean to make it personal to the kid either, but how should a fan feel?
Fans should feel like we need a head coach that will show players this is the place to be not just before they get here but after they get here as well
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I hope you're right.

I'm holding you to this! lol
Bone...hi.

You were saying?
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago How many transfers were playing more than 30 minutes a game like Tyrese?
Bingo. I don’t mean to make it personal to the kid either, but how should a fan feel?
Fans should feel like we need a head coach that will show players this is the place to be not just before they get here but after they get here as well
Agree, just think we should not just refer to the head coach, but, the entire coaching staff as well as the university.
4 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

It's a shame Tyrese decided URI was not the place to develop his game.
Team has the potential to be pretty good next year and hopefully our freshman PGs develop and the year after will be special too.
I really hope for his sake that he thoroughly thought out this decision and he doesn't get recruited over at his next school.
Although Tyrese leaving does give Jacob more than enough room to develop so maybe this will turn out to be a win/win. Or at least a win for URI in the long run because I'm still not sold it's a win for Tyrese.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Some really good teams on his list this will be interesting
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Thanks to Martin and Long for providing us the roster space to basically shore up every single other area that we have been trying to accomplish for years.

We are left a little lite in the SF dept, but every other position on the team improved greatly. And, as an added bonus, I don't have to watch Tyrese for the next two years with his sloppy passing and carelessness taking care of the ball. Reminds me of the Luke Combs song "When it rains, it pours"

Now, the next guy the microscope will be on will be Walker, who also likes to come in like a house of fire off the bench and then two minutes later throw a no-look pass to the front row. He'll be on a short leash with that stuff. The ball protect efficiency should go up across the board nicely.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I liked Martin as a player and unlike many here I actually also liked his overall oncourt demeanor.

This recent amazing URI roster flip has me wondering if maybe his departure was a kinda Tom Brady like mutual decision?

I dunno.

ASU would be my choice. Tempe campus is awesome. Wonder why above reporter has them off the list. Wasn’t BH hot after T Martin?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Anyone recall a situation where a player ended up not transferring and returned to his original school? Martin is the missing element to this team now.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Let’s move on. Only want the guys that WANT to be here.
9 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Thanks to Martin and Long for providing us the roster space to basically shore up every single other area that we have been trying to accomplish for years.

We are left a little lite in the SF dept, but every other position on the team improved greatly. And, as an added bonus, I don't have to watch Tyrese for the next two years with his sloppy passing and carelessness taking care of the ball. Reminds me of the Luke Combs song "When it rains, it pours"

Now, the next guy the microscope will be on will be Walker, who also likes to come in like a house of fire off the bench and then two minutes later throw a no-look pass to the front row. He'll be on a short leash with that stuff. The ball protect efficiency should go up across the board nicely.

The first sentence of that last paragraph made me laugh out loud because of how true it is. 😂😂
2 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Even Ousmane twins Tres and a decent transfer that would be great too
Your wish (and mine) has been granted.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Let’s gooooo!!!!
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I liked Tyrese and I was disappointed to hear that he is transferring. In my opinion, he was a great athlete and very good rebounder. However, his outside shot was streaky and he took a lot of bad shots. His ball handling and passing skills weren't good. As we know, Tyrese had a chance to develop into a star here by his senior season. I see him as a good role player for the schools on his list. We'll see what happens. I wish him the best.

Moving on.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

A Martin for a Martin....I am cool with this!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE his family! So excited to have them back in the Ryan...
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I can't believe it was only five days ago that Tyrese announced he was leaving.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

That might as well have been years ago!

Optimism is back on the menu, boys & girls!
1 x
RamFan94
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RamFan94 »

Is Hurley really recruiting Martin?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe it was only five days ago that Tyrese announced he was leaving.
I can't believe it was only 5 months ago that he passed to an open man ahead of him in transition.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamFan94 wrote: 4 years ago Is Hurley really recruiting Martin?
Why wouldn’t he? It’s fair game at this point.
0 x
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

"Martin told 247Sports that Oregon, Louisville, Creighton, Seton Hall, UConn, Georgia, Ole Miss and Arkansas are the schools that have pursued him hard since he announced the transfer."
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe it was only five days ago that Tyrese announced he was leaving.
I can't believe it was only 5 months ago that he passed to an open man ahead of him in transition.
It’s pretty well known that on a 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 breakaway the player with the Ball in his hand is going to take the shot for URI.

It’s very rare you will see anyone on our team give the ball up on a break. It’s unfair to single only Tyrese out for this. I’ve not seen teams so selfish for point scoring. Dowtin the exception.
3 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Why wouldn’t he? It’s fair game at this point.
Exactly, this isnt' Danny poaching Rese, Rese left on his own

Would you say the same thing if Bobby @ ASU lands Martin too, having the Hurley connection. Anyone can go after him now...I'm not gonna be bitter wherever he goes
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
"Martin told 247Sports that Oregon, Louisville, Creighton, Seton Hall, UConn, Georgia, Ole Miss and Arkansas are the schools that have pursued him hard since he announced the transfer."
Oregon an interesting choice. Same school as Duquesne’s Eric Williams Jr. Williams, like Martin, also transferred after his a Sophomore year, difference being he sat out the Transfer year. Both plan a similar position.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I still don’t get it. I mean moreso with the added benefit of having some serious inside offensive options - but he was in a perfect position next year to take a leap.

Fatts will get a lions share of the double teams and will be forced to move the ball more. Based on how he was defended at the end of the year he’ll have to play a lot more drive and dish.

We’ll miss him for sure - but the well isn’t dry any more with options to replace him. Very excited about Toppin’s sophomore year.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I am not trying to throw shade on Tyrese but his timing was excellent as far as assisting our recruiting effort of his replacement. I think Malik may be the best defender on the team next year. I hope not because then our D will be awesome.
2 x
RamFan94
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RamFan94 »

These kids are being contacted before they announce and yes I think Hurley is poaching.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

UConn is reportedly involved with a lot of transfers.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This was from the Richmond Game Thread.
I have a bit of a different perspective now than I had then............

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I'm not ok with Tyrese retweeting this. Who cares about individual stats? We lost the effin' game!
.....another symptom of the disease me me.....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago This was from the Richmond Game Thread.

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I'm not ok with Tyrese retweeting this. Who cares about individual stats? We lost the effin' game!
I'm the one who posted that. I still don't like it. If we had won, whatever. But as I said, we lost the effin' game.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

I'm the one who posted that. I still don't like it. If we had won, whatever. But as I said, we lost the effin' game.
Billyboy78,
I know you posted it, that's why I captured the whole quote from the Richmond Game Thread

I remember you saying it, and I felt a bit uneasy about it myself. Some others defended Martin for doing it, saying it was ok.

But now looking back, it certainly makes you wonder how much Martin was playing for himself

And consider this:

Martin is a guard, but he had a number of games in which he had zero assists. This from a player who got a lot of rebounds, could have passed off many times on fast breaks but chose not to (and he is not the only one).

Martin had 10 Games with Zero Assists:
Game Number/Opponent
3-Alabama
4-Nichols State
8-@ West Virginia
14-Davidson
24-@Dayton
25-St Josephs
26-@Davidson
27-@Fordham
28-St Louis
29-Dayton

6 of his 10 games with Zero Assists were consecutive during the last season collapse that started with the @Dayton game

Makes me wonder what the team vibes were during the last 3 weeks of the season
Did Martin already know he was leaving?
Was he just trying to pad his PPG and Rebounding Stats?
Team seemed to stop passing the ball unselfishly the latter part of the season. Passing and unselfish play were highlights to me during the 10 game win streak
Did Cox lose the team? the the team quit on Cox and quit on themselves?
Were Dowtin and Langevine unable to pull the guys together those last 7 games? It seemed to work ok during the 10 game win streak.
We were very fortunate to win the Fordham and UMASS games. Finishing (3-4) could easily have been a (1-6) disaster of a finish.

I was a big Martin fan. I really wanted Martin to replace Thompson in the line up last season and Cox did that. I don't like to slam the door on players who chose to leave but in this case Martin moving on might be best for all. Martin gets a new start, gets to play P5, but opens up 36 minutes per game playing time to Malik Martin, Jacob Toppin and others to show what they can do. One door shuts another door opens.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

For DH he's watched two years pass and now injuries have hit a bit. Some good there some bad.

I just would imagine that the gloves are coming off for him. The success and caliber of team to be considered good at Uconn is just higher than URI. Cant tie a hand behind his back. If he thinks Martin can help then I would imagine he will more than make a way for him.

Martin strikes me more as a Bobby at ASU player than a Dan at any school player. Martin is a terrible defender. He gives up multiple baskets a game at the rim.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I agreed with BillyBoy at the time. Who cares what your personal stats were? I don't care if you got your first triple double, if you lose the game.

Obviously, Martin didn't care about losing, because he already has his eyes set elsewhere.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It seems that way
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I agreed too, but figured it was more of me being the old guy screaming get off my lawn.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Hey, I'm an all or nothing guy.

If you win, crow to everybody that you got the career high double double. Go on the other team's twitter pages and go ape sheet for all I care

(I'm sure Cox has rules against that btw, but you get what I mean). Pump your chest as much as you want.

But if you lose, then there is nothing to brag about.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If you didn't bash Tyrese while he was here, don't bash him for this play this season now.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Lies...like the kids say, "pics or it didn't happen."
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago UConn is reportedly involved with a lot of transfers.
Is there a team that wants to be good that 'isn't'?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He tweeted a Rhody highlight video of himself just today. Blaaaaa
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It’s either UConn, Seton Hall, Oregon, Georgia, or Ole Miss.
0 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

My gut says Oregon. Oregon/Nike sell itself plus Altman will sell him on being the next Dillon Brooks (which he is not).
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ramster I respectfully but totally disagree with your statement that Martin is a guard. He is a small forward; a scorer, a rebounder, not a great ball handler, and a poor passer. Not a guard at all IMO.
0 x