Happy Days Are Here Again

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Happy Days Are Here Again

Unread post by PeteRI »

Talk about an amazing turnaround! Coach Cox and his assistants have just rescued our program!!
10 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Happy Days Are Here Again

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wait and see approach.

Need results first, but a very good start cleaning up the mess that was left last week.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Perception is reality. 3 big recruits in less than 1 week is a huge positive development, and sends a message to others that URI basketball ain't playin'.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Still a little bit of wait and see for me as well. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. We've seen transfers not work out in the past so nothing is guaranteed.

Cox has done a very good job of quickly filling the holes we were left with and he deserves credit for that without a doubt, but he was also the coach in place when those holes were created, so the key now is to get all the new pieces to mesh into a good team.

The last few days have been a big step in the right direction and its impossible to not feel better about the situation, but I'm also not hanging any banners just yet either.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Exactly this ^^. Yes this is better news than last week, and there is good amount of talent coming in to replace what is lost.
But that is also a lot of new people to integrate, at a time when everyone is social distancing and will be for a while. It's unknown when DC could even get this new bunch together in 1 room, nevermind having them start building rapport on and off the court. I wouldn't raise banners yet or make predictions on 20-21, let alone the issue of team chemistry, you just don't know who will and won't become eligible.

One of the biggest factors in success at A10 level is continuity, and we will return 1 meaningful player (maybe Fatts) in 20-21, that was on our team in 19-20. That's a lot of new pieces to manage even for a veteran HC, let alone a guy in his 3rd season. Be patient and don't get unrealistic with expectations.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Still a little bit of wait and see for me as well. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. We've seen transfers not work out in the past so nothing is guaranteed.

Cox has done a very good job of quickly filling the holes we were left with and he deserves credit for that without a doubt, but he was also the coach in place when those holes were created, so the key now is to get all the new pieces to mesh into a good team.

The last few days have been a big step in the right direction and its impossible to not feel better about the situation, but I'm also not hanging any banners just yet either.
We are much better now. All players seemingly eligible.
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Let’s quarantine them all until the pandemic passes.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

6 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Just want to go on record as the twins are the worst thing to hit RI since the 1938 hurricane. No one will be happy about this 12 months from now. I will leave it at that.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

FOUR TRANSFERS IN LESS THAN ONE WEEK. WE ARE THE DUKE OF NEW ENGLAND!! 🤪
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago Just want to go on record as the twins are the worst thing to hit RI since the 1938 hurricane. No one will be happy about this 12 months from now. I will leave it at that.
A school like us has to take a gamble on players with perceived “baggage.”

Kuran and Stan had issues at their previous schools and turned out to be EXCELLENT in Kingston.

Here’s hoping the twins have a similar career here.
6 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Still a little bit of wait and see for me as well. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. We've seen transfers not work out in the past so nothing is guaranteed.

We are much better now. All players seemingly eligible.
On paper, yeah, we probably are. My only point is we won't know for sure until about this time next year. But like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic. Remember, you also guaranteed us 10 and 5 from Walker when he returned, so things don't always follow the best case scenario that we are hoping for. :D

Refilling the roster was just step one and I'm excited about it. Long way to go between now and next March though!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago Just want to go on record as the twins are the worst thing to hit RI since the 1938 hurricane. No one will be happy about this 12 months from now. I will leave it at that.
Hey, the huge Rhody fan is back!!

This is actually 1 take that has at least a 50% chance of being true, there is significant risk with the twins. All I can hope is that given their DC roots that Coach Cox has done exhaustive due diligence on them and feels like he can manage them better than other coaches before him.
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

This is actually 1 take that has at least a 50% chance of being true, there is significant risk with the twins. All I can hope is that given their DC roots that Coach Cox has done exhaustive due diligence on them and feels like he can manage them better than other coaches before him.
I think URI is about the fifth school they have played for in the last five years. Have talked to people that would know and the juice is certainly not worth the squeeze here. Maybe Cox gets through to them but the problem is that they just aren't that good at this level and that will compound the issue. URI needs bodies so it is worth the risk but I would be stunned if this works out. Turgeon, from what I have heard locally, is a really good guy and he got tired of those two in about five seconds.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s going to be key next year to keep as many people happy as possible since we have the depth hopefully we can have a 10 man rotation and Cox plays the players that deserve the minutes in practice
With new transfer rules in place it’s inevitable that we will lose guys again
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Nothing that I hate more than a negative fan.
4 x
NCAAs or Bust!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago

I think URI is about the fifth school they have played for in the last five years. Have talked to people that would know and the juice is certainly not worth the squeeze here. Maybe Cox gets through to them but the problem is that they just aren't that good at this level and that will compound the issue. URI needs bodies so it is worth the risk but I would be stunned if this works out. Turgeon, from what I have heard locally, is a really good guy and he got tired of those two in about five seconds.
There is no way anyone could say they are not good. They are great ball players. I’ve seen them play over 40-50 times during their high school career and always thought they would dominate in the right system for the right team. You can’t teach the intangibles that they have. Their knock is and always has been their demeanor. You have to allow kids to develop not only physically and mentally. I’m more than happy that we gave them a second lease on their college careers. They will be two of the most dominant bigs in the A10.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Why don't you go join the Maryland fan site you human coronavirus. 💩
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

There is no way anyone could say they are not good. They are great ball players. I’ve seen them play over 40-50 times during their high school career and always thought they would dominate in the right system for the right team. You can’t teach the intangibles that they have. Their knock is and always has been their demeanor. You have to allow kids to develop not only physically and mentally. I’m more than happy that we gave them a second lease on their college careers. They will be two of the most dominant bigs in the A10.
I hope that ages well....
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I hope Berry reconsiders. He could easily be starting next in 2021, if not starting getting very good minutes with junior and senior year to show his All-A10 caliber play. Crushes senior year and gets a serious shot at playing pro ball here or abroad.
(Yes I'm really projecting this image before I even see him play 1 minute in person.

Edit: I see in the Berry thread URI pulled their offer to him after accepting Malik's. I'd still like Berry but as always will trust Cox and Co.
Last edited by phipsiGD'11 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am sure our high low game will be great as the twins will look to get the other twin or JH easy hoops
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Locked and loaded baby! Going in guns blazing next year!
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
URI_CellBio14
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URI_CellBio14 »

0 x
Nwizzzy1
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Nwizzzy1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
A school like us has to take a gamble on players with perceived “baggage.”

Kuran and Stan had issues at their previous schools and turned out to be EXCELLENT in Kingston.

Yes hopefully then can turn our like kuran and stan two team first players
Here’s hoping the twins have a similar career here.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

They will be two of the most dominant bigs in the A10.
Neither was even the best player on their (last) HS team. Neither was All-Met. I believe one made one of the other teams. They are the ultimate miss of HS rankings. Projection instead of actually watching games. If you watched them 40x and saw what you saw, we'll just agree to disagree. I'll take the under on two of the most dominant bigs in the A10. I get why Cox did it. I would do it. I just hate building teams like this.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Yesterday was a great day!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I wasn't going to comment on this post. While it is exciting to get 4 commits in the past few days (3 yesterday), after a rough week last week, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, but to quote the wolf in "Pulp FIction"

3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Neither was even the best player on their (last) HS team. Neither was All-Met. I believe one made one of the other teams. They are the ultimate miss of HS rankings. Projection instead of actually watching games. If you watched them 40x and saw what you saw, we'll just agree to disagree. I'll take the under on two of the most dominant bigs in the A10. I get why Cox did it. I would do it. I just hate building teams like this.
You’re the definition of the only guy at the party without a party hat.

Their HS teams starting five all went P5. They also went to the DC State finals. They played with Jay Heath (BC) Ricky Lindo (UMD) and Domingus Stevens (Seton Hall). It’s not easy to be the best player on that team.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This is a risk that Cox had to take. What if the proposed new eligibility rule is not approved? We'll have another short roster. It will be similar to DH's first year with a practice team beating up on the eligible players. Then again, it may be this type of commitment by Cox to put ineligible players on scholarship for a year that sealed the deal. In this case, if the ineligible players graduate with eligibility remaining, they may transfer for their final year. This is a mess, but for programs such as URI, you cannot look too far in advance. Clearly, a degree from URI is not an enticement.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

You’re the definition of the only guy at the party without a party hat.

Their HS teams starting five all went P5. They also went to the DC State finals. They played with Jay Heath (BC) Ricky Lindo (UMD) and Domingus Stevens (Seton Hall). It’s not easy to be the best player on that team.
I get that it was a loaded team, although they didn't play with Lindo. My point was that they were far and away the highest ranked, especially Makhi, of the group. Yet, the Met voters didn't think as highly.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Makhi was voted defensive player of the year in the UA AAU. He led that team to the UA Championship in Vegas. He had the best Tournament. I believe that team 4-5 P5 players and Mekhi Long was the 6th man for the Summer session.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I'm still very much in the wait-and-see camp when it comes to transfers.

That said, at least we have guys with the physical size to play center. But some people were drooling over Antwan Walker not long ago.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

True. Many had Harris all but on the bench and Walker in the Starting Line Up back in November/December
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Nothing that I hate more than a negative fan.
lol good work here 72! love it!!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

:) .......about time I offer my usual end of URI basketball season sign off.....time to get the tarp off the boat, practicing social distancing while on the water, and mowing PJCC fairways.......stay safe fellow KBers.......maybe I will look back on this post months from now and say, what the hell was he talking about?.....yes, happier days are here again from the just few weeks ago that were questionable...... thanks for the countless of hours fun and always interesting stuff here.....looking forward to next season......I guess I will check in on rainy days......Go Rhody.........out, monitoring radio on 16 and 13......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago :) .......about time I offer my usual end of URI basketball season sign off.....time to get the tarp off the boat, practicing social distancing while on the water, and mowing PJCC fairways.......stay safe fellow KBers.......maybe I will look back on this post months from now and say, what the hell was he talking about?.....yes, happier days are here again from the just few weeks ago that were questionable...... thanks for the countless of hours fun and always interesting stuff here.....looking forward to next season......I guess I will check in on rainy days......Go Rhody.........out, monitoring radio on 16 and 13......
I need to figure out how to do the same thing.

Have fun on the waters!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Hey 105, can I put in an order for stripers and fluke? 😃 Tight lines and long ashes to you!
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago :) .......about time I offer my usual end of URI basketball season sign off.....time to get the tarp off the boat, practicing social distancing while on the water, and mowing PJCC fairways.......stay safe fellow KBers.......maybe I will look back on this post months from now and say, what the hell was he talking about?.....yes, happier days are here again from the just few weeks ago that were questionable...... thanks for the countless of hours fun and always interesting stuff here.....looking forward to next season......I guess I will check in on rainy days......Go Rhody.........out, monitoring radio on 16 and 13......
Have a good summer, and give my best to Mrs. 105!
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The worst thing? Why? What do you think will happen?
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Right behind you buddy, tarp is off and just waiting on the weather to warm up a bit and for Mother Nature to turn off the fan.

My kid caddies at PJCC, Jason is his name. Hopefully things are back to normal soon.

Cheers!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Happy Days......not exactly......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We still recently secured 3 promising transfers and 1 more talented recruit. So yeah, I'm still happy - even though we lost a one-and-done freshman and his impressive 5.1 PPG.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago
Right behind you buddy, tarp is off and just waiting on the weather to warm up a bit and for Mother Nature to turn off the fan.

My kid caddies at PJCC, Jason is his name. Hopefully things are back to normal soon.

Cheers!
I used to caddy at PJCC years ago, great summer gig for teenagers and college kids.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Wait and see approach.

Need results first, but a very good start cleaning up the mess that was left last week.
Bump.
0 x
Go Rhody