2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by theblueram »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
This is not good at all.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
This is not good at all.
This is just the action that the A-10 is forced into since the top leagues eliminated so many OOC games. It is the lost opportunities versus teams from top leagues that is really the thing that is not good.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

This is not good at all.
What? You don’t like two additional games against Lasalle and Fordham.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Need to cut three top play everyone twice.
Same as BE.

Good luck getting that done, unfortunately.

All signs point to the A10 becoming a one or two bid league most of the time.

I have serious doubts, if that is the case, that URI will spend the money necessary to compete at the top of the league consistently.

Just being a top half program won't be good enough.

Dayton, St.Louis, VCU will always have bigger budgets and generate more revenue.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The first thing the A10 NEEDS to do is adopt the Conference USA "bonus" play model.

First fourteen games are against the other 13 teams in the league + 1 versus a geographic partner (in URI's case, UMASS).

After fourteen games, teams are seeded 1-5, 6-10, 11-14.

If you are #1, you will now face 2, 3, 4, and 5.

You end up with 9 home games, 9 away games regardless, but it guarantees the top games against itself.

For conference tournament, teams are guaranteed seeding in their respective pod (1-5, 6-10, 11-14).
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah they should, 66.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago The first thing the A10 NEEDS to do is adopt the Conference USA "bonus" play model.

First fourteen games are against the other 13 teams in the league + 1 versus a geographic partner (in URI's case, UMASS).

You end up with 9 home games, 9 away games regardless, but it guarantees the top games against itself.

For conference tournament, teams are guaranteed seeding in their respective pod (1-5, 6-10, 11-14).
.......although I do like cupcakes, especially with a roster like next year...... this model, I think would be good for the A-10.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It would help at the gate for conference games, since the OOC schedule is likely to suck.

Like next years'.

Of course, we need to be near the top of the conference to take advantage of this.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago It would help at the gate for conference games, since the OOC schedule is likely to suck.

Like next years'.

Of course, we need to be near the top of the conference to take advantage of this.
Extra conference games are not likely to help the gate. They’ll be played at the same time the last 2 OOC games are normally played. Late Dec/early Jan- when the students are on break.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago The first thing the A10 NEEDS to do is adopt the Conference USA "bonus" play model.

.......although I do like cupcakes, especially with a roster like next year...... this model, I think would be good for the A-10.....
The only challenge with this model is that it is possible that you are not necessarily guaranteed a home & home the second time around.

In the case of Louisiana Tech this season, their 2nd time around games were against North Texas (road game - they played North Texas at home earlier in the season), Western Kentucky (road game - they played at Western Kentucky earlier in the year), FIU (home game - they played FIU at home earlier in the season), and Charlotte (home game - they played at home earlier in the season). So against the other top teams in the league, Louisiana Tech played only 3 road games and 5 home games.

Then you have someone like North Texas who did get the 4 home games and 4 road games.

Everyone has to be ok that the predetermined formula might lead to certain teams getting "screwed" at the expense of getting a higher quality schedule.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How many At Large bids was CUSA expecting this year?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago How many At Large bids was CUSA expecting this year?
How many bids do they get any other year?

Why is trying to be innovative a bad thing?

Aren’t you better off trying to be innovative, then doing things the same and crying about the outcome?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the move to 20 isn’t that bad it’s only 2 more games as long as it’s weighted that we play the top half of conference twice and not Fordham and LaSalke !!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago How many At Large bids was CUSA expecting this year?

Aren’t you better off trying to be innovative, then doing things the same and crying about the outcome?
Maybe...conferences that have a lot of teams that suck...should play fewer games in conference...play everyone once and take your chances with what you can get outside of that?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

Maybe...conferences that have a lot of teams that suck...should play fewer games in conference...play everyone once and take your chances with what you can get outside of that?
This is what I was getting at. The A10 isn't strong enough to support At Large bids with a 20 team schedule.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I’d rather take a shot of scheduling 2 OOC games on our own then having 2 more a10 games being forced on us.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The problem is what McGlade referred to....

McGlade: "With the inventory of non-conference games shrinking, we have to consider 20 games."

As other conferences go to the 20 games conference schedules, the number of Good OOC opportunities will diminish. Can’t look at OOC opportunities in the present but what will it look like 2 years from now.

I think McGlade is right.

I don’t like it.
I also don’t like:
  • The NCAA owning and keeping secret the NET calculations
  • The inconsistency with which the NCAA handles hardship waivers in Basketball and Football
  • The new Transfer rule with immediate eligibility - if NCAA had managed hardship waivers fairly and consistency they would have to go with immediate transfer eligibility - must do to avoid lawsuits
  • Age requirement to play in NBA forcing 1 year to play in college or overseas because of 19 age. How that’s not age discrimination is beyond me. But they can fight for our country at age 18 but can’t play NBA - please
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramster,

I agree that the hardship waiver process has been butchered by the NCAA, but only because they made it to "open."

Hardship waivers in the original sense were intended for kids who had personal or family emergencies that forced them closer to home.

Per the NCAA definition of a hardship waiver -- "The NCAA requires Divisions I and II student-athletes to make appropriate annual progress toward earning their degrees. This progress is measured in several slightly different ways in the two divisions, including credits earned toward a degree and minimum grade-point average requirements.When Division I or II student-athletes fall short of these academic requirements, an institution can pursue a “progress-toward-degree” waiver to restore eligibility for competition. To qualify for such a waiver, institutions must document the mitigating circumstances that caused the deficiency. A common circumstance is a student-athlete facing a serious medical issue or other personal hardship."

They were never intended for athletes who were thrown off teams because of poor behavior, or who misevaluated their own talent and wanted to go somewhere and play more and not have to sit the required two semesters.

Fact is, that should rule out about 99.9% of hardship waiver requests, but for some reason they've allowed almost anyone and everyone to apply and pretty much as long as the original school says "Good kid, best of luck," it almost always passes.

For that, I don't blame the hardship waiver process as part of this "equal rights for football/basketball transfers" movement.

You can blame the "Athletes deserve equal rights and should be paid for their likeness" crowd for that.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't blame the crowd demanding some equity for the players......I would have felt better about it if the MAAC was the conference pushing for the change instead of the big 10....it's like the poachers demanding equity for the elephant and rhinoceros..
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The chair for the NCAA committee responsible for analyzing the waiver rule is Jon Steinbrecher, the commissioner of the MAC.

In his own words: “ The current system is unsustainable. Working group members believe it's time to bring our transfer rules more in line with today's college landscape."
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago The chair for the NCAA committee responsible for analyzing the waiver rule is Jon Steinbrecher, the commissioner of the MAC.

In his own words: “ The current system is unsustainable. Working group members believe it's time to bring our transfer rules more in line with today's college landscape."
In fairness, he's the commissioner of the league that brings us MACtion. He seems to love chaos.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster,

I agree that the hardship waiver process has been butchered by the NCAA, but only because they made it to "open."

Hardship waivers in the original sense were intended for kids who had personal or family emergencies that forced them closer to home.

Per the NCAA definition of a hardship waiver -- "The NCAA requires Divisions I and II student-athletes to make appropriate annual progress toward earning their degrees. This progress is measured in several slightly different ways in the two divisions, including credits earned toward a degree and minimum grade-point average requirements.When Division I or II student-athletes fall short of these academic requirements, an institution can pursue a “progress-toward-degree” waiver to restore eligibility for competition. To qualify for such a waiver, institutions must document the mitigating circumstances that caused the deficiency. A common circumstance is a student-athlete facing a serious medical issue or other personal hardship."

They were never intended for athletes who were thrown off teams because of poor behavior, or who misevaluated their own talent and wanted to go somewhere and play more and not have to sit the required two semesters.

Fact is, that should rule out about 99.9% of hardship waiver requests, but for some reason they've allowed almost anyone and everyone to apply and pretty much as long as the original school says "Good kid, best of luck," it almost always passes.

For that, I don't blame the hardship waiver process as part of this "equal rights for football/basketball transfers" movement.

You can blame the "Athletes deserve equal rights and should be paid for their likeness" crowd for that.
A couple of exceptions really stood out as the Big 10 worked to develop their proposal that is scheduled for review in April. The ACC has studied the Big 10 Proposal and endorsed it.

Luke Ford Transferred from Georgia to Illinois so he could play in front of his ailing Grandfather. NCAA denied. His Grandfather lived 190 miles from Champaign. NCAA established a distance limit of 100 miles back in 2012. Reason he was denied? Who knows

Brock Hoffman transferred from Coastal Carolina to Virginia Tech to be closer to his ailing mother who had surgery to remove a brain tumor and now struggles with hearing loss, partial facial paralysis and eyesight loss. She lives 105 miles from Blacksburg. NCAA said it was because she was outside the 100 mile radius and that her condition was improving.

Waviers were granted to Justin Fields, QB at Georgia transferred to Ohio State and Tate Martell QB at Ohio State transferred to Miami. Both appeared to be moves because of playing time.

Inconsistency by the NCAA has been a big problem as the examples show.

Using distance so strictly is strange too. Distance of 100 miles in the South, Midwest, Southwest and West is different from the Northeast. 100 miles is nothing, only 1.5 hours in most parts of the country. To deny because of 5 miles with a mother having had a tumor removed from her brain is absurd.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/ ... tal-rules/
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Do these new signings help us get better OOC games because teams will believe we are a better opponent to play?
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago The problem is what McGlade referred to....

McGlade: "With the inventory of non-conference games shrinking, we have to consider 20 games."

As other conferences go to the 20 games conference schedules, the number of Good OOC opportunities will diminish. Can’t look at OOC opportunities in the present but what will it look like 2 years from now.

I don’t like it.
I also don’t like:
  • The inconsistency with which the NCAA handles hardship waivers in Basketball and Football
  • The new Transfer rule with immediate eligibility - if NCAA had managed hardship waivers fairly and consistency they would have to go with immediate transfer eligibility - must do to avoid lawsuits
  • Age requirement to play in NBA forcing 1 year to play in college or overseas because of 19 age. How that’s not age discrimination is beyond me. But they can fight for our country at age 18 but can’t play NBA - please
Most employers have job requirements. The NBA invests millions in these first round picks. When you whiff it is a huge loss. They have the absolute right to restrict the age of their employees.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago The problem is what McGlade referred to....

I don’t like it.
I also don’t like:
They can't even drink at age 19 or smoke in most states.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster,

A couple of exceptions really stood out as the Big 10 worked to develop their proposal that is scheduled for review in April. The ACC has studied the Big 10 Proposal and endorsed it.

Luke Ford Transferred from Georgia to Illinois so he could play in front of his ailing Grandfather. NCAA denied. His Grandfather lived 190 miles from Champaign. NCAA established a distance limit of 100 miles back in 2012. Reason he was denied? Who knows

Brock Hoffman transferred from Coastal Carolina to Virginia Tech to be closer to his ailing mother who had surgery to remove a brain tumor and now struggles with hearing loss, partial facial paralysis and eyesight loss. She lives 105 miles from Blacksburg. NCAA said it was because she was outside the 100 mile radius and that her condition was improving.

Waviers were granted to Justin Fields, QB at Georgia transferred to Ohio State and Tate Martell QB at Ohio State transferred to Miami. Both appeared to be moves because of playing time.

Inconsistency by the NCAA has been a big problem as the examples show.

Using distance so strictly is strange too. Distance of 100 miles in the South, Midwest, Southwest and West is different from the Northeast. 100 miles is nothing, only 1.5 hours in most parts of the country. To deny because of 5 miles with a mother having had a tumor removed from her brain is absurd.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/ ... tal-rules/
I think you need some parameter to define "close to home." Whether time, miles, etc., it's important.

If someone is 190 miles from home, that's approximately 3 hours with no traffic. That's not exactly close. The kid in Blacksburg, I tend to agree with you.

Regardless, those are two players out of hundreds who now try to annually use "hardship" as their reason to transfer. I definitely agree with you on those football players and dozens other who get away with it. They shouldn't be eligible. Playing time is not a qualifying hardship.

But regardless of who created the proposal, it needed to be created. It keeps being put out there that "This is a proposal created by P5 for P5."

Movement for this had started years ago and has only intensified in recent years with the NIL lawsuits, which came after the CIL movement 5-6 years ago.

Someone had to be the first to make a move on this, because it would have happened anyway. If you ask me, I didn't like CIL, I don't like NIL, and I don't like unrestricted movement.

But you look at it now, public pressure forced CIL, it forced NIL, and it will force unrestricted movement. But that is not the fault of the poorly enforced and often abused hardship waiver.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

20 game A10 conference schedule will kill any chance of at large bids. the AVG NET ranking of the A10 this year was 120 including 3 teams that had rankings above 200.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago 20 game A10 conference schedule will kill any chance of at large bids. the AVG NET ranking of the A10 this year was 120 including 3 teams that had rankings above 200.
At large bids are already drying up for the A-10. The number of signature OOC game opportunities is also already decreasing with the top leagues already at or soon going to 20 game slates along with their many inter-league challenges. A 20 game A-10 schedule on its own doesn't really change the calculus of the soon to be college basketball environment. It was already (or about to be) changed.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago 20 game A10 conference schedule will kill any chance of at large bids. the AVG NET ranking of the A10 this year was 120 including 3 teams that had rankings above 200.
At large bids are already drying up for the A-10. The number of signature OOC game opportunities is also already decreasing with the top leagues already at or soon going to 20 game slates along with their many inter-league challenges. A 20 game A-10 schedule on its own doesn't really change the calculus of the soon to be college basketball environment. It was already (or about to be) changed.
Hope URI protects itself against this because not too many people are paying $800 for two seats to see a team in a 1 bid league.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
2h
Sources: Kentucky will host Richmond as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Hope URI protects itself against this because not too many people are paying $800 for two seats to see a team in a 1 bid league.
The A10 was a potential 3 bid league last season until Rhody played themselves out. To me that is the goal moving forward...gone are the days of 4-5 bids, but calling the league a 1 bid league is wrong as well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
2h
Sources: Kentucky will host Richmond as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule.
What’s interesting is Kentucky rumors are surrounding Richmond’s Grant Golden
Does Golden go to Kentucky and play against his former team later this year? Welcome to the world of Immediate eligibility?

Golden fits in well to Mooney’s system, so might not be such a good idea, especially with Richmond being possibly the preseason favorite to win the A10, but who knows. Buts it’s ironic Richmond just got the Wildcats on their schedule.

From the article........

Two names that have jumped on the radar are Bryce Aiken and Grant Golden, according to Big Blue Express.

Grant Golden would be an addition of a different nature. He is a solid 6-10 big man who plays for the Richmond Spiders. Similar to Aiken, Golden has proven himself to be a high-level scored. He posted 17 points a game his junior season and nearly 14 his senior campaign. Even with UK’s monster class coming in, if there is one question mark, it is the frontcourt depth.
It remains unclear how Kentucky fits into the mix but as NBA draft decisions are made the dominoes will begin to fall.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... 1585678243
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

@JonRothstein
·
2h
Does Golden go to Kentucky and play against his former team later this year? Welcome to the world of Immediate eligibility?

Golden fits in well to Mooney’s system, so might not be such a good idea, especially with Richmond being possibly the preseason favorite to win the A10, but who knows. Buts it’s ironic Richmond just got the Wildcats on their schedule.

From the article........

Two names that have jumped on the radar are Bryce Aiken and Grant Golden, according to Big Blue Express.

Grant Golden would be an addition of a different nature. He is a solid 6-10 big man who plays for the Richmond Spiders. Similar to Aiken, Golden has proven himself to be a high-level scored. He posted 17 points a game his junior season and nearly 14 his senior campaign. Even with UK’s monster class coming in, if there is one question mark, it is the frontcourt depth.
It remains unclear how Kentucky fits into the mix but as NBA draft decisions are made the dominoes will begin to fall.

If he did that, it would further confirm his goon status around here.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Why not get creative?
Use CUSA’s as a model.
Play all 13 teams plus 1 travel partner.
Seed teams 1-5, 6-10, 11-14.
Play 6 games against your pod, or remove travel partner game and play 7 against your pod.
Could mean 3 games against a team like Dayton, not factoring in conference tournament.
Or could seed teams 1-7 and 8-14.
Play all teams in that pod once + travel partner.
Not ideal but assures better schedules for top teams.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Why not get creative?
Use CUSA’s as a model.
Play all 13 teams plus 1 travel partner.
Seed teams 1-5, 6-10, 11-14.
Play 6 games against your pod, or remove travel partner game and play 7 against your pod.
Could mean 3 games against a team like Dayton, not factoring in conference tournament.
Or could seed teams 1-7 and 8-14.
Play all teams in that pod once + travel partner.
Not ideal but assures better schedules for top teams.
This has to be the future for the non-P5 teams.

Even if you just play everyone once, and play the top half of teams a 2nd time - that will significantly help prevent the February/March land mines.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

It's a no brainer.

Dont even need to go to 20 games necessarily.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
@JonRothstein
·
2h

From the article........

Never understood the Golden hate. Kid can flat out play.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

From the article........

Never understood the Golden hate. Kid can flat out play.
Because of how he tackled EC in 2018 and knocked him out of the game.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It’s ironic that some people here hate him for being a goon. That EC play aside, my biggest issue with him as a player is he is soft as angel food cake and I hate finesse bigs.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago It’s ironic that some people here hate him for being a goon. That EC play aside, my biggest issue with him as a player is he is soft as angel food cake and I hate finesse bigs.
You’ve hated Richmond all year though for reasons nobody here can seem to understand, as they continued to be better than us and a borderline NCAA tourney team.

Substitute him with Harris this year, and we have a Golden Cyril high low game and we’re easily a tourney team.
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Well, a big part of my issue with Richmond was Golden - both in that Golden was symbolic of what I didn’t like about them as a team and Golden himself being a key part of what they do. If nobody understands why I hated them, that’s I guess a statement about everyone here’s ability to read? Because I explained over and over that I didn’t like them because they are soft - they have soft players who played a soft coach’s soft system against a soft schedule. People may disagree with me and love soft basketball - that’s a matter of taste but it’s weird to say you don’t understand why I didn’t like them.

As far as Richmond “continuing to be better,” URI was better the entire season up until the last two weeks, save for a week in early January. And by the end of the season it was obvious that Richmond had slipped past URI, but that was a function of URI falling apart more than anything Richmond did. Nothing they did at any point in the season changed my mind about them - they were a moderately talented, exceptionally soft team. Even after URI fell apart, I was looking forward to catching them in Brooklyn and knocking them off the bubble, but alas.

But to be clear, I never said they were terrible. I just thought people gave them too much credit earlier in the season for playing a bad schedule and they didn’t fit my preferred basketball aesthetic when I watched them so I rooted against them.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Richmond was better

I prefer motion to our high post offense...

I’m consistent too.

Like TP

TP Hates motion.

We all can disagree but we love hoops so we’re looking forward to see what Coach Cox builds with this roster.

Rams 🐑 don’t run motion and I’ve learned to accept it.

I hated UCLA

Go Rhody
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Totally agree with your take on Richmond TP . They are a very soft team , lacking aggression on both ends of the court . I believe URI would have beaten them in Brooklyn . I think if they had gotten an NCAA bid they probably would have been embarrassed by quicker , tougher teams .
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's odd to like basketball and not like ball movement, spacing, good shooting and high level passing but I digress.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I actually thought we had quite good motion for most of the year. Probably more fluid ball movement than Danny's best teams. That just goes with running whatever offense you have really well.

Wasnt as good as Richmond's though. I get why they would be considered soft, but they certainly were very good by the end of the year. They were a very complete team. Had Golden. Had Gilyard, Sherod and Francis shooting the lights out. Driving. Gilyard played as good of defense as Fatts. Had wing players. I don't think they were as soft as past Richmond teams. Seemed pretty aggressive to me. They could have made a run in the tournament no doubt.

They're also bringing everyone back.

So we need Fatts and our damn transfers.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhode Island has never run a true motion offense. Unless it was pre war/Keaney. I believe our first high post (UCLA) offense was Harrick who is a Wooden devotee...

True motion is the play - it’s a clock eating wear your opponent down mind game. McKillop is textbook.

Point guard lovers generally hate motion. They don’t like Wooden’s offense either cause they’re out of business. Guards should attack in tandem. I’m thinking this roster is being carefully designed by Cox to run his stuff and finally ditch dribble drive. It’s gonna be fascinating to watch.

A coach that builds and sticks to a “system” and recruits players to fit their system is always gonna have my respect. I truly believe unless you’re a elite P5 program that can get the best players (one and Done) every year you need to build a “system”

It’s looking to me now that Cox has shifted his roster to start building his “system”

As long as he runs some picket fence I’m all in! We also still need to run the break and fill the fast break passing lanes like Jim Harrick’s teams did (and actually pass the ball on the break) because this is the home of fast break basketball!

:)
Last edited by hrstrat57 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I would have rather been labeled "soft" and been 24-7, 14-4 in conference, with a win against Wisconsin, and two other P5 teams, a win against us and clearly on the bubble, than be labeled "tough", and have our OOC record, conference record, and a lose against the so called "soft' Richmond team.

Oh, and I would clearly want their roster for next year instead of ours at the moment. 5 returning starters, all seniors to be, and a Top 30 preseason team.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Do these new signings help us get better OOC games because teams will believe we are a better opponent to play?
lol
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

By a writer that is associated with the Bonnies

Atlantic 10 seriously considering 20-game men’s basketball schedule
https://pickinsplinters.com/2020/03/31/ ... -schedule/
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago By a writer that is associated with the Bonnies

Atlantic 10 seriously considering 20-game men’s basketball schedule
https://pickinsplinters.com/2020/03/31/ ... -schedule/
I used to think McGlade was a smart woman. After reading some quotes in that article, I have a hard time envisioning her successfully navigating the A10 through an evolving college hoops picture in a positive way. If she seriously believes some of that nonsense she was spewing, you guys are in major trouble.

“There are a lot of practical reasons why a 20-game conference schedule is important and could be very important for the A-10,” McGlade explained. “One is, we’re a very big league. We’re 14 teams. We have a lot of teams, so we can absorb a 20-game conference schedule in a really positive way.

“Secondarily, the strength of the league. Especially this year, we finished extremely strong with high national rankings and there is a benefit to be able to schedule more games within your conference, as long as your teams are strong enough. The A-10 is.”