Friar Board with RHODY subject

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Friar Board with RHODY subject

Unread post by ramster »

Fryuzzz comments related to our roster defections

5 Pages, 110 posts and counting

Some familiar names of Darth Friar, RJ, SeanMac, Steve Hartnet and Richard Coren who are both moderators of the 247 board, Friar77, Shammdog

Topics include:
Fatts wouldn't start for PC
Martin Transfer
Jacob Toppin
Jermaine Harris
Sly Williams Trainride to Kingston + 2 different letters of intent + Dave Gavitt mad and never allowing URI in the Big East
KB Board a disaster
Jimmy and Billy Baron
David Cox
Narragansett Beaches in June
and much more

Good Coronavirus, nothing else to do, reading to get your blood pressure up

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 145380388/
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Friar Board with Thread on RHODY - tough crowd

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Fatts wouldn't just start, he'd be their best player since Kris Dunn and it's not particularly close, but whatever they say
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Friar Board with RHODY subject

Unread post by ramster »

They don't all say it, some do.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Who cares?
13 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fatts had some VERY nice games for a pair of W's vs PC. Thats why they hate him. Otherwise, I'ts a waste of time to comment on their posts.
2 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....being a college hoops fan, and I do enjoy a trip or two to the Dump to take in a game, usually against ranked opponent, if the only web outlet available for me during this time was the PC board, I would take a pass......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Interesting theory about what happened with Billy Baron......don't really believe it but who knows?

As for Sly and Terino, I definitely could see that scenario.

Some comments about Fatts being the PG instead of Dowtin are spot on though.

Our lack of depth at guard was the reason for that imo…..and it cost us.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Friends
Don’t
Let
Friends
Follow
Friartown
11 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I have found both the pc and UCONN boards to be absolute must reads during this time of quarantine. Its a literal coin flip for who has the more delusional fan base. I can understand the agony of a pc fan though, 1 gifted ncaa win over the last 23 YEARS has to sting on so many levels. I would imagine the off season must be the best time of the year for a pc fan. For such an inferior program, we certainly occupy alot of discussion on their board.
7 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts wouldn't just start, he'd be their best player since Kris Dunn and it's not particularly close, but whatever they say
😂 😂 😂

I’m not a Fatts guy so I’m not the person to talk to about that subject.

For the most part I see inefficient volume shooter who I’m unsure of how he’ll play with less proven weapons when you factor in the loss of Dowtin, Martin, and Langevine.

If Russell is trying to win games by consistently shooting 15+ times next season, URI is probably at best winning 16-17 games. He’s probably going to see a lot of defensive attention which would mean forcing even more bad shots.

His entire career he's pretty much been a guy who will get hot and win some big games, but then go on extended runs of poor play, at least offensively.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm not as big of a Fatts guy as a lot of people on here, but let's be honest, PC needed the homeless version of him this year to do anything. Without Pipkins PC would have been nothing, and that's a complete indictment of PC's roster over the last couple of years
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I don't disagree with that. PC has had a horrible run on PGs after having a great run on PG's. They went from Council-Cotton-Dunn-Cartwright to missing on MAL and having a bunch of combo guards incapable of running the point for an extended period of time.

I was ok with the recruitment of Pipkins because I saw an inefficient gunner on a bad team and the thinking there was "Well maybe he buys into a better system and his play improve." It was also a very desperate situation because there were no PG's on the roster.

Fatts has supposedly played with good players in a good system, and at times he's still gone off doing whatever he wants on-the-court. That is my concern. I don't think he goes anywhere and is willing to accept a role but rather will always want to be "the guy." That's what would scare me adding him to my (or most) rosters.

And he's the same guy that when the team was primed to make the tournament, went the last 5 games shooting 17-70 (24.3%), 7-27 3 (25.9% 3).
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

But but but I thought PC fans had no care or interest about anything concerning URI? At least that's what their fans would have us believe.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

A little “history” lesson:

There are multiple sets of PC fans.

1) Grew up in R.I., appreciate the value of the rivalry.

2) Grew up out-of-state but we’re local enough they were a fan most of their lives and appreciate the value of the rivalry.

3) Grew up out-of-state, didn’t really follow PC until they went to college, prefer games against other dominate BE foes.

There are a lot of people in section 3, the biggest being “I’m from CT, I’m surrounded by Husky fans all the time, I just want to play and beat them.”

But to broad stroke the entire fan base, it’s just not true, sorry.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago I don't disagree with that. PC has had a horrible run on PGs after having a great run on PG's. They went from Council-Cotton-Dunn-Cartwright to missing on MAL and having a bunch of combo guards incapable of running the point for an extended period of time.

I was ok with the recruitment of Pipkins because I saw an inefficient gunner on a bad team and the thinking there was "Well maybe he buys into a better system and his play improve." It was also a very desperate situation because there were no PG's on the roster.

Fatts has supposedly played with good players in a good system, and at times he's still gone off doing whatever he wants on-the-court. That is my concern. I don't think he goes anywhere and is willing to accept a role but rather will always want to be "the guy." That's what would scare me adding him to my (or most) rosters.

And he's the same guy that when the team was primed to make the tournament, went the last 5 games shooting 17-70 (24.3%), 7-27 3 (25.9% 3).
I would argue he played one year in a good system and two years with a coach that just let him do whatever he wanted
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago I don't disagree with that. PC has had a horrible run on PGs after having a great run on PG's. They went from Council-Cotton-Dunn-Cartwright to missing on MAL and having a bunch of combo guards incapable of running the point for an extended period of time.

I would argue he played one year in a good system and two years with a coach that just let him do whatever he wanted
Possibly true, but how many of your peers would agree with you? The UMASS situation was a pretty unanimous clusterfuck.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago But but but I thought PC fans had no care or interest about anything concerning URI? At least that's what their fans would have us believe.
The Rhody thread on their board has by far the most views/posts of any of the current topics, but no, they have no interest in us.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts wouldn't just start, he'd be their best player since Kris Dunn and it's not particularly close, but whatever they say
😂 😂 😂

I’m not a Fatts guy so I’m not the person to talk to about that subject.

For the most part I see inefficient volume shooter who I’m unsure of how he’ll play with less proven weapons when you factor in the loss of Dowtin, Martin, and Langevine.

If Russell is trying to win games by consistently shooting 15+ times next season, URI is probably at best winning 16-17 games. He’s probably going to see a lot of defensive attention which would mean forcing even more bad shots.

His entire career he's pretty much been a guy who will get hot and win some big games, but then go on extended runs of poor play, at least offensively.
I guess you feel the same way about Myles Powell this year -- their stats are about identical, in fact when you factor in the steals and assists Fatts had better numbers. FWIW Powell was an AA.
2 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

We have a vocal minority, just like you do. And for the most part, they are idiots on both sides.

Several comments made on here in regards to PC over the last few weeks have been embarrassing, but its your board and you're entitled to say what you want.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

All true, but you have Darth the biggest jabroni in the land.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

The only thing I'll say on this is the following. They claim we have "little brother syndrome" but whether it's on message boards or social media, some PC fans spend an ungodly amount time bashing URI. I wonder if some of those people are really PC fans or just anti-URI fans.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Fatts is 2-1 vs PC. Ed Cooley is 1-2 vs Fatts.

This REALLY REALLY bothers them.
2 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

That's some interesting spin. You could also say that Cooley is 7-2 vs. URI; 5-1 against lord and savior Dan Hurley.

Not to mention that you haven't won at the Dunk since 2002.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You also could say Rhody has won twice as many NCAA games as PC over the last 20+ years despite being at a sizable disadvantage in terms of resources, recruiting prowess and conference affiliation.
6 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

lol sure, whatever gets you through the night.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Go talk about our recruiting class now....
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago The only thing I'll say on this is the following. They claim we have "little brother syndrome" but whether it's on message boards or social media, some PC fans spend an ungodly amount time bashing URI. I wonder if some of those people are really PC fans or just anti-URI fans.
It's amazing the amount of PC trolls that respond with nonsense on Twitter.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Lock this fkn thread....
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago That's some interesting spin. You could also say that Cooley is 7-2 vs. URI; 5-1 against lord and savior Dan Hurley.

See what I mean?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago lol sure, whatever gets you through the night.
Are you going to argue that PC has significant advantages over URI yet has not delivered results commensurate with those advantages?
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago lol sure, whatever gets you through the night.
Great comeback! Just go away.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There are some real idiots on that board and DarthFriar is at the top of the list. Gregct is another one based on posts over the years.

I cannot say I felt bad for posters such as these when Selection Sunday came and went.

Many of their fans act as if they are Duke and we are Prairie View. Ask any of them how many more NCAA Tournament wins PC has compared to URI since the Friars joined the vaunted Big East back in 1979? The answer is ZERO as they have the exact same number as Rhody. Who has the better NCAA win percentage in that period? The answer is URI which is actually above .500. The Friars only lead in the number of NCAA losses in this time-frame. It would seem the Big East, bigger home court, more tv appearances, higher attendance, millions more spent annually, and new practice facility have not manifested themselves very well when it comes to the measuring stick of success in the NCAA Tournament. One might even say the Friars have been a huge disappointment given the many advantages they have squandered.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Go talk about our recruiting class now....
Remember, they're saying that Cooley said no to the twins (not the other way around), so they're going to call us desperate. While I know there are some very obvious exceptions (RJ, woodennickel), the PC fandom as a whole are uneducated boobs who don't know that college basketball exists outside of the Big East.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Cant wait to win at the Dump this year 😁
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago There are some real idiots on the board and DarthFriar is at the top of the list. Gregct is another one based on posts over the years.

I cannot say I felt bad for posters such as these when Selection Sunday came and went.

Many of their fans act as if they are Duke and we are Prairie View. Ask any of them how many more NCAA Tournament wins PC has compared to URI since the Friars joined the vaunted Big East back in 1978? The answer is ZERO as they have the exact same number as Rhody. Who has the better NCAA win percentage in that period? The answer is URI which is actually above .500. The Friars only lead in the number of NCAA losses in this time-frame. It would seem the Big East, bigger home court, more tv appearances, higher attendance, millions more spent annually, and new practice facility have not manifested themselves very well when it comes to the measuring stick of success in the NCAA Tournament. One might even say the Friars have been a huge disappointment given the many advantages they have squandered.
I think they havent been more successful because they're all black and a catholic school. They also call themselves the Friars. There's just something about the brand that is naturally unappealing.

If you're looking from the outside in, it's obvious that we are the good guys and they are the bad guys.

We are Rhody!

They are the Friars.

No doubt in my mind that if URI was the school in the Big East it would operate better than PC. It's the state university and has a more appealing color scheme. It's a public university, not a stuffy old catholic school.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago That's some interesting spin. You could also say that Cooley is 7-2 vs. URI; 5-1 against lord and savior Dan Hurley.

You will now get to see firsthand how "the American Dream" Cooley fairs against the lord and savior Hurley now that the Lord and savior has equal/better resources.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

First of all, I would appreciate it if Pee Cee fans would stay off Narragansett Beach. Secondly that dude Sean is the biggest mamby pamby I’ve ever seen in my life which is exactly why he trolls.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago

You will now get to see firsthand how "the American Dream" Cooley fairs against the lord and savior Hurley now that the Lord and savior has equal/better resources.
Hurley's weakest teams, weren't exactly dominated by Cooley either.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

I told you that this was likely 3 weeks ago, just like I had the Long transfer news before anyone here. I do know the story behind the PC recruitment, as well as the Rhody situation with them and why this dragged out. It may work out for you, it may not.

Since I'm apparently one of these "uneducated boobs", I'll sign off and leave you all to have your little party.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rothstein's tweet of the news of course includes a half dozen tweets from PC trolls. You simply do not see the same thing in reverse, we must be their Super Bowl. Or they simply don't understand irony.
5 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago I told you that this was likely 3 weeks ago, just like I had the Long transfer news before anyone here. I do know the story behind the PC recruitment, as well as the Rhody situation with them and why this dragged out. It may work out for you, it may not.

Since I'm apparently one of these "uneducated boobs", I'll sign off and leave you all to have your little party.
Serve up the intel. I'd like to hear it.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Go talk about our recruiting class now....
Remember, they're saying that Cooley said no to the twins (not the other way around), so they're going to call us desperate. While I know there are some very obvious exceptions (RJ, woodennickel), the PC fandom as a whole are uneducated boobs who don't know that college basketball exists outside of the Big East.
Cooley didn’t want both because he likes to stockpile his roster. That’s fine. I will gladly take both. They will fare well in the A10.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I had nothing better to do, so I read all 5 pages. There's comedy, there's high comedy, then there's PC fans talking about what they think they know about URI hoops and this message board. I haven't laughed that hard in weeks.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Rothstein's tweet of the news of course includes a half dozen tweets from PC trolls. You simply do not see the same thing in reverse, we must be their Super Bowl. Or they simply don't understand irony.
There are some "PC fans" that tweet more about URI than PC.

I put "PC fans" in quotes because I'm not sure they're actually fans. They may be just trolls. It's worth noting that some of the true PC fans on Twitter don't care for these folks either.
5 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is 2-1 vs PC. Ed Cooley is 1-2 vs Fatts.

Who does this matter? Fatts has had some great games against PC. Fact not opinion. He’s had other great games in general. Fact not opinion. But he’s also had plenty of bad, multi-game stretches. Fact not opinion.

I posted above in the last 5 games of this season, he was 24% from the floor and 26% from 3. That’s not taking 5 shots a game, Fatts was still averaging 14 shots during that costly stretch. That’s hardly the only 5+ game stretch last year like that, forget other years. This year, Providence - Richmond: 23-81 (28.4%), 6-27 3 (22.2%).

My fear for him is with weaker offensive weapons next season, he’s still going to want to be the gunner while getting all the attention.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

I'd think that Cooley should probably put more focus on winning games in March, not early December
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Who does this matter? Fatts has had some great games against PC. Fact not opinion. He’s had other great games in general. Fact not opinion. But he’s also had plenty of bad, multi-game stretches. Fact not opinion.

I posted above in the last 5 games of this season, he was 24% from the floor and 26% from 3. That’s not taking 5 shots a game, Fatts was still averaging 14 shots during that costly stretch. That’s hardly the only 5+ game stretch last year like that, forget other years. This year, Providence - Richmond: 23-81 (28.4%), 6-27 3 (22.2%).

My fear for him is with weaker offensive weapons next season, he’s still going to want to be the gunner while getting all the attention.
Truth. When Fatts and the team were at their best, Fatts was getting others involved, driving to the hoop and passing. If he does more of that it will eventually open himself up to score more.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Who does this matter?
I'm not sure... it doesn't matter to me one bit. But it does matter to some PC fans.
1 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

The most obnoxious fan in all of sports is a PC fan that never spent a day in a pc classroom.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago We have a vocal minority, just like you do. And for the most part, they are idiots on both sides.

Several comments made on here in regards to PC over the last few weeks have been embarrassing, but its your board and you're entitled to say what you want.
Idiots are like.... "lawn chairs, they're everywhere...'
2 x