URI Transfer issues

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Re: URI Transfer issues

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Being fair Hurley’s biggest leverage was his name and other programs trying to get him to leave and become their HC. Every time that happened Hurley twisted Thorr’s arm for improvement’s to the program
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......yes, it seems that way......one of the thoughts of some was that the Admin could take a breath once Coach Cox was hired in that as a first time HC he would grateful to have the job and not make aggressive waves into the pool of program enhancements......and to further invest in the program it was an unsaid, wait and see......well, for me the time is now, can’t wait for Coach Cox to prove he is the right stuff......the program is the right stuff......get the practice facility done.....now
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago We are not getting the same level recruits now that Hurley left.

Hurley left for many reasons, one of them being that our University does not invest into the basketball program at a level that can compete with other programs.

We want recruits from the 50-100 range? Have a coach with the profile of Hurley. Want to keep a coach with the profile of Hurley? Invest in the program.

Some of you expect Cox to perform on the same level as Hurley. He has less resources (I say less resources because we are no longer able to attract Assistant Coaches at the level we were before. Not to say that TJ and Austin can't become great in their own right but currently they are not). We expect him to perform at the highest level of the A10 yet he is not given the tools to do that. I would say based on what he is given to work with he somewhat overachieved these past 2 years. However that still doesn't meet my expectations for the program which is NCAA or Bust.

Why do we not invest more into the program? I'll leave that for our University leaders to answer.
Amen to this. Been thinking about this same thing last few days. Couldnt have said it better myself. Some of the issues has to fall on Thorr just as much as cox. The fact that we have not increased Charter flights or assistant salaries or see any type of progress what so ever in a practice facility or ryan center amenities based on fan opinions is just mind numbing. All these things matter when developing an attractive program to recruits assistants etc. The email this am highlighting achievements by fan support of this year and breaking all these records. Aka profit needs to be reinvested besides going to coxs pocket and wherever the rest of the program money goes lol. How can we expect to perform consistently at the a10 level or NCAA tourney appearance level when our investment in our program is not lacking to say the least. Expecting top two finish when our investments in our program hasnt changed in 3 years. And the following is at its healthiest in last decade.
3 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Welcome to URI basketball since the 1980’s.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ummm would love one of the positivity nazis to spin this one.

OK I understand the argument for bench guys and all the individual personal issues.

How are we going to spin a kid leaving who started 49 of 63 games, played 34 minutes and averaged double digit points?

Now I'm concerned. Kids got maxed out minutes, a clear, defined role, and signed on to play for this head coach.

You can't tell me this is the "new normal" because starters on top 3-4 A-10 level teams don't transfer just because.

We're officially in the problem territory.

If the Fatts rumors are also true, you have to look at a serious plan to make some wholesale changes because contrary to popular belief you actually need players on your roster to have a basketball team.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Wondering if they are just trying to get away from the Fatts show. if that is the issue Cox created this problem by moving Jeff and letting Fatts run wild.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Wondering if they are just trying to get away from the Fatts show. if that is the issue Cox created this problem by moving Jeff and letting Fatts run wild.
We might have a Marcus Howard situation on us, never thought of that
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Ummm would love one of the positivity nazis to spin this one.

OK I understand the argument for bench guys and all the individual personal issues.

How are we going to spin a kid leaving who started 49 of 63 games, played 34 minutes and averaged double digit points?

Now I'm concerned. Kids got maxed out minutes, a clear, defined role, and signed on to play for this head coach.

You can't tell me this is the "new normal" because starters on top 3-4 A-10 level teams don't transfer just because.

If the Fatts rumors are also true, you have to look at a serious plan to make some wholesale changes because contrary to popular belief you actually need players on your roster to have a basketball team.
We need to replace him with Malik Martin stat. Sorry all I've got. I have a deposit in for "new" season tickets and I have some buyer's remorse.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

When you see where Tyrese lands, we may have our questions answered, perhaps....
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago When you see where Tyrese lands, we may have our questions answered, perhaps....
Well if the big P5 rumors are true and it involved tampering, I hope that school gets caught and punished.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder what the incoming freshmen think about many of our players transferring? Certainly not coming to the team they expected since 4 players (Martin, Long, Tate, Hammond) are no longer here that were here when they signed their NLIs.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago When you see where Tyrese lands, we may have our questions answered, perhaps....
Well if the big P5 rumors are true and it involved tampering, I hope that school gets caught and punished.
So if a guy goes to a lower school, he didn't belong here, don't blame the coach that brought him in. If a guy goes to a higher school, don't blame the coach, he couldn't possibly keep a player in little ol Kingston. It's the new normal, just don't blame the coach that has lost 11 guys in two years, there's nothing to see behind the curtain. This starts and ends with Cox. This isn't happening at other schools
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder what the incoming freshmen think about many of our players transferring? Certainly not coming to the team they expected since 4 players (Martin, Long, Tate, Hammond) are no longer here that were here when they signed their NLIs.
Their probably thinking their playing time is about to increase, I know thats what I'd be thinking.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder what the incoming freshmen think about many of our players transferring? Certainly not coming to the team they expected since 4 players (Martin, Long, Tate, Hammond) are no longer here that were here when they signed their NLIs.
Their probably thinking their playing time is about to increase, I know thats what I'd be thinking.
On a shitty team.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

What the actual FUCK is going on?!
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Wondering if they are just trying to get away from the Fatts show. if that is the issue Cox created this problem by moving Jeff and letting Fatts run wild.
Fatts and Tyrese are best friends.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Ummm would love one of the positivity nazis to spin this one.

I’ve got nothing to go on, other than what Tyrese said in his IG. He wants bigger and better opportunities to showcase his skills.

My counter to that, is if he couldn’t dominate the A10, not sure why he believes he can do it anywhere else, esp P5.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Ish and Wood are probably thinking, phenomenal, that Martin guy is gone... three guard lineup??
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

I'd think they are liking their chances to earn playing time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
I'd think they are liking their chances to earn playing time.
On a shitty team.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

So I guess with the new transfer rule along with the staff's ability to hold recruits, we're going to be watching pickup basketball for the next number of years? Cool. Let's just grab some dudes from the Mackal courts to round out the roster at this point.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago So I guess with the new transfer rule along with the staff's ability to hold recruits, we're going to be watching pickup basketball for the next number of years? Cool. Let's just grab some dudes from the Mackal courts to round out the roster at this point.
Don’t forget Tootell East
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Trying to stay positive, here is my thought:

If the transfer rule is approved we will lose guys this year, we will also bring in good transfers (guys who tried the P5 ranks and didn’t get minutes but are probable as good or better than the players leaving). These new influxed recruits will NOT be able to transfer without sitting out.

So a lot of the highly rated guys we were in on and came up short are in play as the guys who were often the backup plan are on the way out.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Another thought on our transfer issues - people here are claiming it is only us and Wichita State going through this. Which is not true, but more importantly I think if it were true we are the only programs going through it now before the transfer rule is passed. Come Monday if they pass the rule there will be 1000 kids in the portal.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Another thought on our transfer issues - people here are claiming it is only us and Wichita State going through this. Which is not true, but more importantly I think if it were true we are the only programs going through it now before the transfer rule is passed. Come Monday if they pass the rule there will be 1000 kids in the portal.
.......maybe the wait and see what the rules passed are going to be, and devil in the details is a prudent conservative approach is the way for us to go now.......as there could be other departures and a bigger known pool of players to “draft”.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Another thought on our transfer issues - people here are claiming it is only us and Wichita State going through this. Which is not true, but more importantly I think if it were true we are the only programs going through it now before the transfer rule is passed. Come Monday if they pass the rule there will be 1000 kids in the portal.
.......maybe the wait and see what the rules passed are going to be, and devil in the details is a prudent conservative approach is the way for us to go now.......as there could be other departures and a bigger known pool of players to “draft”.......
The Meeting Monday is on eligibility for students who participated in Spring sports that include baseball, softball and men's and women's lacrosse. They missed most or all of their seasons. They will also discuss whether to give men's and women's basketball an additional year

The Transfer Rule to give immediate eligibility and thereby eliminate the confusing and inconsistent waiver system the NCAA ineffectively manages is set for id April. It is the Proposal by the Big 10 which has also been endorsed by the ACC. This is not a proposal developed by the NCAA. It is likely to pass from all that I have read. The Waiver System is under heavy criticism - a lot of criticism for making a couple of QBs eligible that looked like only based on lack of playing time - Fields to Ohio State from Georgia one of the big examples being used.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So let’s discuss this. Really dig in here. Where was the staff at-fault or not at fault?

Mike Layssard was dismissed. (Not at fault)

Brandon Adams wanted to play for DH. All is fair. (Not at fault)

Omar Silverio - needed a body to fill the void of Adams. 3-4 months before the season. Kudos, for finding an able bodied practice player with some skill. Everyone saw his Rucker Park clips and fell in love. Would it translate. No. He was slow footed and a seemingly one trick pony...he could shoot. However, he would often give up as many points as he would make. His PT reflected that. He decided to leave after his grandmother passed on to be closer to home and seek additional PT at Hofstra. It didn’t work out. (50/50)

Christian Thompson - the board pleaded half the season for him to come off the bench and to start Tyrese. That happened. As a result, CT was a junior coming off the bench behind a freshman. Two things clearly factored into this decision to leave. He likely wasn’t going to start as a senior, and there was an opportunity for him to play and start for a school minutes away from family in Louisiana. Coach made the right decision. (Not at fault)

Aris - needed a body. Quick, fast and in a hurry. He fit this requirement, until he didn’t. He was bad. It was a waste of roster space. This is the fault of the staff. (Fault)

Akele - I don’t consider this a transfer. He was offered an opportunity to play pro ball back home. He was going to be a solid role player here. He had to chance to be a semi-star back home. (Not a fault)

Hammond - the #1 player in Louisiana. Didn’t sniff the court. Needed development. Didn’t want to wait or “trust the process”. I don’t know what conversations were had between the staff and his family, but it appears there was a disconnect. You all be the judge. (Fault - should have given him more minutes in OOC)

Tate - We’ve all heard they stories. (Not at fault)

Mading - there is a story here....period. (Not at fault)

Long - wanted more PT. People have heard the cries from his outspoken family/circle. Again, this is something the board agreed upon, that he played the minutes he deserved. He wasn’t okay being the spark plug or glue guy as a FROSH. His circle obviously watched the season with blinders on. Thought he deserved more and would seek it elsewhere. (Not at fault)

Martin - this one hurt. I believe someone from somewhere was in his ear. Look at the looks he’s now getting. Cox started this kid over a junior during his freshman season and never looked back. Played 30+ minutes a game and basically served as our 1st, 2nd or 3rd best scoring option. Not sure there was anything the staff could do to keep him. It’s a mindset. Loyalty can’t be taught. (Not at fault)

Let’s go through player and player...what do you think the staff could have or should have done differently. Where do you assess the blame?
12 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago So let’s discuss this. Really dig in here. Where was the staff at-fault or not at fault?

Omar Silverio - needed a body to fill the void of Adams. 3-4 months before the season. Kudos, for finding an able bodied practice player with some skill. Everyone saw his Rucker Park clips and fell in love. Would it translate. No. He was slow footed and a seemingly one trick pony...he could shoot. However, he would often give up as many points as he would make. His PT reflected that. He decided to leave after his grandmother passed on to be closer to home and seek additional PT at Hofstra. It didn’t work out. (50/50)

Christian Thompson - the board pleaded half the season for him to come off the bench and to start Tyrese. That happened. As a result, CT was a junior coming off the bench behind a freshman. Two things clearly factored into this decision to leave. He likely wasn’t going to start as a senior, and there was an opportunity for him to play and start for a school minutes away from family in Louisiana. Coach made the right decision. (Not at fault)

Aris - needed a body. Quick, fast and in a hurry. He fit this requirement, until he didn’t. He was bad. It was a waste of roster space. This is the fault of the staff. (Fault)

Akele - I don’t consider this a transfer. He was offered an opportunity to play pro ball back home. He was going to be a solid role player here. He had to chance to be a semi-star back home. (Not a fault)

Hammond - the #1 player in Louisiana. Didn’t sniff the court. Needed development. Didn’t want to wait or “trust the process”. I don’t know what conversations were had between the staff and his family, but it appears there was a disconnect. You all be the judge. (Fault - should have given him more minutes in OOC)

Long - wanted more PT. People have heard the cries from his outspoken family/circle. Again, this is something the board agreed upon, that he played the minutes he deserved. He wasn’t okay being the spark plug or glue guy as a FROSH. His circle obviously watched the season with blinders on. Thought he deserved more and would seek it elsewhere. (Not at fault)

Martin - this one hurt. I believe someone from somewhere was in his ear. Look at the looks he’s now getting. Cox started this kid over a junior during his freshman season and never looked back. Played 30+ minutes a game and basically served as our 1st, 2nd or 3rd best scoring option. Not sure there was anything the staff could do to keep him. It’s a mindset. Loyalty can’t be taught. (Not at fault)

Let’s go through player and player...what do you think the staff could have or should have done differently. Where do you assess the blame?
Agree! Every bit of this analysis is how I see it.
4 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Nicely done DC
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Disagree strongly on CT

Would have been huge difference maker this season

Disagree mildly on Tate and Martin

This current class recruiting period will tell the story for me. It could tank and jeopardize Cox job or keep the ball rolling uphill.

Forum reaction to Martin transfer is understandable melt down.

As I said in the new Harris thread I’m optimistic that he will be part of the solution. I’m on the negativity bus but the optimist train is on the tracks next to me.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Disagree strongly on CT

I think two things can be simultaneously true - That CT would have been a big help this year, and also that Cox probably had little chance of keeping him on the roster once he benched him the previous year. I don't think DC is incorrect in saying that the consensus of the board at the time was that Martin *should* be starting over Thompson, and once that happens, well, it means he can see the writing on the wall. Martin not starting means the team is worse in 18-19, and probably worse in 19-20. At the time, it didn't seem like it would have such a ripple effect, because 1) nobody saw Martin transferring out after playing major minutes as a sophomore and 2) that all of the options to pick-up CT's minutes (Long, Hammond, Tate) wouldn't work out for various reasons.
2 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago So let’s discuss this. Really dig in here. Where was the staff at-fault or not at fault?

So the problem isn't "spoiled lemons" then?
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Disagree strongly on CT

I think two things can be simultaneously true - That CT would have been a big help this year, and also that Cox probably had little chance of keeping him on the roster once he benched him the previous year. I don't think DC is incorrect in saying that the consensus of the board at the time was that Martin *should* be starting over Thompson, and once that happens, well, it means he can see the writing on the wall. Martin not starting means the team is worse in 18-19, and probably worse in 19-20. At the time, it didn't seem like it would have such a ripple effect, because 1) nobody saw Martin transferring out after playing major minutes as a sophomore and 2) that all of the options to pick-up CT's minutes (Long, Hammond, Tate) wouldn't work out for various reasons.
Yikes. Am I the only who actually watched Thompson play?? He was getting 26 min/game his junior year which translated into a 5 pt/3 reb average. Not to mention his FG and 3PT percentages were terrible (32% FG, 25% 3PT) and he never passed the ball. About the best thing you can say about him is that he played solid defense. He's an ok bench player, but to say that he could have been a difference maker this year is outrageous.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago

So the problem isn't "spoiled lemons" then?
What’s your angle? Can we have a discussion?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

100% agree on these takes. Some blame to staff but even in perfect world with how things are changing in college bball not all blame can be put on the staff. And not much they could have done in some of the scenarios to change the outcome.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Got to shift the focus of new incoming classes and how to build the roster. What is done is done. We know cox is going to be here next year no matter what. So we have to adjust the strategy of building the next roster. And will be interested to see how these scholarships are filled out. Reserve judgment until the whole story is in focus and who is coming in for next year.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago So the problem isn't "spoiled lemons" then?
[/quote]

Just didn't like the take that the low salary pool for assistants was to blame and I feel like this contradicts that take on top of it.
0 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

Great take here DC, and appreciate where you left the stories unsaid... I also think we dodged a bullet with Adams...would have received a lot of grief for his bench time at URI. I would have loved to have seen CT remain, but that was not consensus here. Averaged 14 points and 6 rebounds at Tulane this year. Would have taken that.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

The coaches job is to manage the personalities and the minutes they play. Yeah, some will get disgruntled and leave, but to say all of the issues are on the kids is absurd.

You think other schools don’t have kids who think they don’t deserve more playing time? Other schools don’t lose 11 players in 2 years. Stop.
6 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

DC Rams, I find it troubling that we are losing players such as Martin and Long because its obvious to me that the coaching staff values them as players. It will be very hard to succeed if we can not retain the players that the staff is investing playing time. I am glad that the coaching staff is aware that they need to get a handle on this situation. If they were not aware I would have much less hope that they can turn it around.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Just didn't like the take that the low salary pool for assistants was to blame and I feel like this contradicts that take on top of it.
[/quote]

That was in response to people have some concerns about the makeup of the staff and why we have the makeup that we do.

That’s why I keep iterating the blame goes FULL CIRCLE. More money for better assistants aids in better recruiting net.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago The coaches job is to manage the personalities and the minutes they play. Yeah, some will get disgruntled and leave, but to say all of the issues are on the kids is absurd.

You think other schools don’t have kids who think they don’t deserve more playing time? Other schools don’t lose 11 players in 2 years. Stop.
For one second, drop the defensive act and just answer the question posed. Go through player and player and say what you would have done. Or what could’ve been don’t different. WHERE EXACTLY DO YOU DISAGREE???
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago The coaches job is to manage the personalities and the minutes they play. Yeah, some will get disgruntled and leave, but to say all of the issues are on the kids is absurd.

Both you and DC's arguments make sense.

Why so many issues at once?

Like was said, Martin's case isn't unique to URI.

There are a lot of players like him at our level who could play at the P5 level and be successful. And I'm sure there are people telling them to go elsewhere.

So why did he leave, where many others haven't or won't?

Is what's happening here a perfect storm of bad luck, or is it something else?

That's the great unknown here.

DC, you obviously have connections to the staff. Since you do, do you know of anything behind the scenes that could be a problem here?

Of course I realize that any such info is proprietary and can't [or shouldn't] be shared on a public forum.

I suppose we'll know someday. But it doesn't make it any easier in the meantime.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Long, Martin, Hammond, CT - figure out a way to actually coach the players and manage the relationships. Would one leave with a good coaching staff? Maybe, all of them, no.

Tate, Mading, Layssard- Are there overall discipline issues? Hurley had someone steal a car and run from the cops. What Tate was rumored to do isn’t close. I’m in the dark on Mading, so I can’t argue that.

Aris, Omar - recruiting misses. Wouldn’t be as big of a deal if we didn’t have the transfer issues and an empty roster.
4 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I agree the number of transfers the past few years is troubling, and there's certainly enough blame to go around, but Martin is probably the one loss that stings the most. With him and Fatts leading the charge next season I think we could have been formidable. But I agree with DC in that I don't believe there was much Cox and his staff could have done to keep him here. He clearly wants something bigger and better, and his outgoing IG message to Cox leads me to believe it wasn't a coaching issue that triggered his desire to play elsewhere.

Martin believes there are better opportunities for him outside of Kingston. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. At this point I really don't care. I'm focused on the guys that are still here and the players that we're targeting. Cox and his staff have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks. I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just heard on espn that the NCAA is cutting this year's payments to its member schools by 62.5% due to the loss of revenue by cancelling the NCAA tourney.

That will hurt the little guys like us way more than the P5's and the BE with their huge TV contracts.

If a lot of the money we were to get from our appearances in the NCAA tournament was earmarked for the BB program budget, we can forget about any enhancements for the near future.

And the hits just keep on coming.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago Long, Martin, Hammond, CT - figure out a way to actually coach the players and manage the relationships. Would one leave with a good coaching staff? Maybe, all of them, no.

Tate, Mading, Layssard- Are there overall discipline issues? Hurley had someone steal a car and run from the cops. What Tate was rumored to do isn’t close. I’m in the dark on Mading, so I can’t argue that.

Aris, Omar - recruiting misses. Wouldn’t be as big of a deal if we didn’t have the transfer issues and an empty roster.
I respect your stance. Totally disagree, but I appreciate your position. We clearly see the situations differently for whatever reason.

Thanks man.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago

Both you and DC's arguments make sense.

Why so many issues at once?

Like was said, Martin's case isn't unique to URI.

There are a lot of players like him at our level who could play at the P5 level and be successful. And I'm sure there are people telling them to go elsewhere.

So why did he leave, where many others haven't or won't?

Is what's happening here a perfect storm of bad luck, or is it something else?

That's the great unknown here.

DC, you obviously have connections to the staff. Since you do, do you know of anything behind the scenes that could be a problem here?

Of course I realize that any such info is proprietary and can't [or shouldn't] be shared on a public forum.

I suppose we'll know someday. But it doesn't make it any easier in the meantime.
It’s literally just a perfectly IMPERFECT storm, man. It sucks from all angles. I’m confident that capable Reinforcements are coming. You’ll see.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DC, I just hope the recruits that Cox is hoping to land can look past what's happening...that's all.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
That was in response to people have some concerns about the makeup of the staff and why we have the makeup that we do.

That’s why I keep iterating the blame goes FULL CIRCLE. More money for better assistants aids in better recruiting net.
[/quote]

I read the "spoiled lemons" post like you were scapegoating the assistants. Maybe that wasn't your intent.

My personal position is the problem isn't who's leaving, it's who's being brought in. The value of being a member of this "family" (their word, not mine), needs to be restored.
2 x