Jermaine Harris

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Jermaine Harris

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago

I’m sure there’s some truth to that, but if I was leaving my job because I didn’t like my boss I wouldn’t be referring to him as “family” and a “father figure” on the way out the door, a la Martin.
Stop trying to use logic in your arguments. It doesn’t work here.
DC you play yourself as an insider. But this program is now a dumpster fire. We have 5 open schollies in March. Could be more, who knows. What say you now?
I play myself? Or you all make your own assumptions?
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago

Just to confirm... We are illogical because we feel that the head coach of our program should be criticized for our collapse and transfers?
I don’t think it’s illogical at all. I was just pointing out that in Martin’s case it doesn’t really fit the narrative that he left because of animosity towards his coach. At least not based on his IG post.
Can you site some recent examples of transfers that told their former coaches to go fuck themselves? Cmon.
Not that I can remember, but on the flip side if someone was leaving a program because they hated the coach they wouldn’t be going out of their way to praise the guy publicly and call him a “father figure”. The player would most likely leave without saying anything at all. That’s still taking the high road.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago People on the Dayton and VCU fan boards are talking about what is going on at URI. Dayton fans of course are just wondering and saying Cox could be on the hot seat and VCU fans love that URI is crumbling
#1 VCU fans are idiots. If they think URI going through this is good for them having a top 3 A10 team crumble oh well. It is not good for the conference.
#2 Dayton fans are pretty classy and are questioning like us what the hell is going on.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago People on the Dayton and VCU fan boards are talking about what is going on at URI. Dayton fans of course are just wondering and saying Cox could be on the hot seat and VCU fans love that URI is crumbling
#1 VCU fans are idiots. If they think URI going through this is good for them having a top 3 A10 team crumble oh well. It is not good for the conference.
#2 Dayton fans are pretty classy and are questioning like us what the hell is going on.
That was it pretty much. Just interesting how much news we are making in a bad way
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Stop trying to use logic in your arguments. It doesn’t work here.
DC you play yourself as an insider. But this program is now a dumpster fire. We have 5 open schollies in March. Could be more, who knows. What say you now?
You act? You portray? You wish? Yourself as an insider> Whatever. Looks like it's blown up in your face.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I don’t think it’s illogical at all. I was just pointing out that in Martin’s case it doesn’t really fit the narrative that he left because of animosity towards his coach. At least not based on his IG post.
Can you site some recent examples of transfers that told their former coaches to go fuck themselves? Cmon.
Not that I can remember, but on the flip side if someone was leaving a program because they hated the coach they wouldn’t be going out of their way to praise the guy publicly and call him a “father figure”. The player would most likely leave without saying anything at all. That’s still taking the high road.
I would definitely agree with that NJ but the problem is Tyrese is one of many transfers. This is not a one off situation. I think they all love him personally but for whatever reason they don't want to play for Cox.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago

I would definitely agree with that NJ but the problem is Tyrese is one of many transfers. This is not a one off situation. I think they all love him personally but for whatever reason they don't want to play for Cox.
That’s a fair point. Cox is definitely the common denominator. Would love to know the reasoning behind the departures, but only the players themselves can speak to that.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You act? You portray? You wish? Yourself as an insider> Whatever. Looks like it's blown up in your face.
Try and make sense. Talk like a grown up.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

OK. COX is not long for here. Got it?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Thursday’s with Morey.......any updates?......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

OK. COX is not long for here. Got it?
Nope.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NJ03 wrote: 4 years ago Usually I don't speculate but with this current quarantine tracking transfers and my amazon packages are all i have.
Get out to the packy.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
NJ03 wrote: 4 years ago Usually I don't speculate but with this current quarantine tracking transfers and my amazon packages are all i have.
Get out to the packy.
That is pure VO DILAN 😃
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What’s the latest on JH ?? Staying or going ??
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The latest would have been posted here.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Staying.
3 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Excellent news! Thank you, DC.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No inside info but I would think J. Harris is having 2nd thoughts.

Points made here and in other threads about player’s should be loyal to Cox after he was hired to retain them and backed them are well thought out.

I’m struggling to recall one occasion where Cox or anyone on the staff said anything negative publicly about Jermaine.

He’s really still in a good place IMHO. Starting over somewhere else would be extremely difficult.

I’m optimistic about likelihood he stays.

retain Jermaine bring in Berry and the twins and a strong perimeter shooter to come off the bench and we’re still in business.

Encouraging to see the few posters who regularly crushed Harris here mercilessly have held their tongues.

No question he’s struggled in Cox’s high post offense but I don’t believe he’s ever been healthy and I know he can play.

Stay and play JH!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

It's great news that he's staying. For him and whichever family members read this board and this thread - I want him/them to know that I certainly love having him on the team and appreciate him buying in. They should tune out the extremely vocal minority of fans.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......wouldn’t believe it until Thursday’s with Morey says so..... ;)
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years agoStaying.
This is good news if accurate. I believe the stability of staying here with a coaching staff that he has a relationship with and cares about him is the best thing for him as a person. The improvement on the court will come.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

We saw bursts of the player he could be this year - work hard this summer and he will be in a very good position for success.

He will eventually hit those threes - he is a good shooter from the perimeter just had some bad luck and then lost some confidence.
1 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago We saw bursts of the player he could be this year - work hard this summer and he will be in a very good position for success.

He will eventually hit those threes - he is a good shooter from the perimeter just had some bad luck and then lost some confidence.
He needs a coach to help him improve his footwork...confidence will come, but we have no one coaching are big men...period.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
This is good news if accurate. I believe the stability of staying here with a coaching staff that he has a relationship with and cares about him is the best thing for him as a person. The improvement on the court will come.
If he is staying, I truly wish he would indicate that on social media and stop this frenzy. It would signal to the recruits that Kingston is not burning, and perhaps we will see a commitment or two in the next few weeks.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
If he is staying, I truly wish he would indicate that on social media and stop this frenzy. It would signal to the recruits that Kingston is not burning, and perhaps we will see a commitment or two in the next few weeks.
Excellent point
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Excellent point
I made a similar point yesterday. Enough with the cryptic IG posts and tweets. If you’re staying, then come out and say that you’re staying. Otherwise you’re just holding the team hostage.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I get the feeling he was leaning toward leaving, but was talked out of it.

Cox I'm sure talked to him, and hopefully he's talked to Jacob and the 2 recruits, and Berry and others as well.

That is desperation...how sad it's come to this point.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Re-recruiting. Cox said so much. He has to do that every year now.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Kingston is still burning, just not as bad if Jermaine stays. Cox should still be out of a job and we need to get a head coach in here that can rebuild the program
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

I hope he’s staying because I think he still has potential to be a good player for us. And let’s be honest, where is he going to find an opportunity as good as he has here??
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......I would like to “reload”, and stay the course with the coach.....for now.....
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago No inside info but I would think J. Harris is having 2nd thoughts.

Points made here and in other threads about player’s should be loyal to Cox after he was hired to retain them and backed them are well thought out.

I’m struggling to recall one occasion where Cox or anyone on the staff said anything negative publicly about Jermaine.

He’s really still in a good place IMHO. Starting over somewhere else would be extremely difficult.

I’m optimistic about likelihood he stays.

retain Jermaine bring in Berry and the twins and a strong perimeter shooter to come off the bench and we’re still in business.

Encouraging to see the few posters who regularly crushed Harris here mercilessly have held their tongues.

No question he’s struggled in Cox’s high post offense but I don’t believe he’s ever been healthy and I know he can play.

Stay and play JH!
I wonder how much of those "who regularly crushed Harris here mercilessly have held their tongues" are holding because they know that only Fatts and Harris are the only starters left with Dowtin, Langevine and Martin gone?

Big men develop slowly in many cases. Harris is tall and strong. He needs more playing time than a measly 15 minutes per game. During post season one-on-one player reviews for sure this topic came up between Harris and Cox. If I'm Harris I need to know exactly where I stand because obviously there are loads of opportunities out there and when the immediate eligibility gets approved in April "Katy bar the door"
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Harris is also such a good free throw shooter...I'd love to see him and Toppin take it to the rim more and generate contact and potential and 1s. Also, I've mentioned this before - I would like to see Harris use that hook shot more. If he can use it, he'll be nearly unstoppable.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

He has made progress with his strength, lateral movement, and defensive positioning. Think of his movement this past year, compared to his freshman year. Big men develop slower as they develop strength.

.....If I remember correctly he had plantar fasciitis as a freshman. That doesn't just go away, it comes and goes. That why he may be most effective early in games. I had it, and it can limit jumping.
.....No question in my mind that he is key to the defense next year.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

For what it's worth, Harris had a very good overall game on both ends of the floor in the virtual win over Ohio State.
8 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU fans are an odd bunch. They are pretty cocky. I don't necessarily have an issue with that as their team has generally backed it up with success on the court. Their school has managed its program very well, especially given the many coaching changes. VCU has invested heavily in its program and their fans sell out every game. There is much for them to be proud of. I have found however that a large part of their fan base is pretty thin-skinned. They do not take losing very well and they are very much perturbed by the fact that URI for some reason has owned them over the last five seasons. I believe this is the main reason many seem to hate URI.

As mentioned, the downfall of a program like URI is not good for them or the league. It further weakens the entire A-10 and makes it even more difficult to get an NCAA at large bid for all its members. It myself was not cheering for VCU's big decline this past season for a similar reason. It very much lessened the significance of Rhody's sweep of them. VCU fans should be wary these days. The A-10 is getting less bids now and their Rams have had very mediocre seasons in two of the last three seasons. The recent trends are not good for them or for URI.
8 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

TheGhostOfDH wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago We saw bursts of the player he could be this year - work hard this summer and he will be in a very good position for success.

He needs a coach to help him improve his footwork...confidence will come, but we have no one coaching are big men...period.
Agree, do you think we have that coach on the current staff?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago For what it's worth, Harris had a very good overall game on both ends of the floor in the virtual win over Ohio State.
That is good (virtual) news indeed!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago For what it's worth, Harris had a very good overall game on both ends of the floor in the virtual win over Ohio State.
...people cannot seriously care about this at all right?

It’s a video game ...

It’s worth absolutely nothing for any player involved.

Regardless of that nonsense, hope the kid is staying and doesn’t leave. We need all the experience and bodies we can get at this point.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
...people cannot seriously care about this at all right?

It’s video game ...

It’s worth absolutely nothing for any player involved.
Of course it's worthless. I just think it's fun.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We need to get/hire a big man coach to work with Harris and all our bigs next year.
It's critical for their development and our success. Then going
forward if the bigs we recruit see we actually invest in some
thing to help them develop and succeed they might even
come here. If it that means one of our existing assistants needs to
go then so be it.
4 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

McRam wrote: 4 years ago

Agree, do you think we have that coach on the current staff?
I don’t believe we do. The thought was Coach Carroll was going to do that, but I don’t think it’s his role as special advisor. We had Reynolds Dean and he worked really well with Hass, Berry and Iverson, but we are doing our Big Men a disservice by not providing them this coaching. I hope they identify someone and get the appropriate funds to pay...that is key. This would be the single best coaching add we can make.
2 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago We need to get/hire a big man coach to work with Harris and all our bigs next year.
go then so be it.
This is what I’m screaming!
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago We need to get/hire a big man coach to work with Harris and all our bigs next year.
go then so be it.
This is what I’m screaming!
.......I have been screaming that for a while also......but I have to think there is enough(should be?) collective fundamental basketball teaching capabilities among the current coaches gathered in their past to get to this level, to be able to do more in this area than it appears.....that is if we can’t get a guru big man coach.......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I’m thinking a thirty something former player who had a cup of coffee in the nba or who played overseas , has aged out and still wants to stay around the game and start a second career. Some one who can put on his gear and show our guys. Take the ball and say... defend me... this is How you move your feet, this is how you body up, now you try. etc,etc etc. There has got to be guys like that available. Find someone and pay them!! It will pay big dividends!! Just f’ing Do it!
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bring in Kevin McHale for two weeks. Set up a GoFundMe for it and this board would probably be able to pay for it in about 2 days.
5 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Bring in Kevin McHale for two weeks. Set up a GoFundMe for it and this board would probably be able to pay for it in about 2 days.
Hell yes.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Bring in Kevin McHale for two weeks. Set up a GoFundMe for it and this board would probably be able to pay for it in about 2 days.
Some quality low post footwork that dude, some of the best ever.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago
Hell yes.
I’m in!
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

go then so be it.
Kenny Green
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano