Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Tyrese Martin

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
McRam wrote: 4 years ago

100% agree. does anyone think our staff is top notch.? Good players know what good coaching is- and you need more than a head coach!
I’m sorry if I read this wrong...but if kids miss layups, it’s coaching?
That is a deflection. You can’t sit there and say Cox hasn’t made a bunch of mistakes. I think the number one mistake he made was the assistant coaches. What do they contribute? Sutton and Cox have no connections of any value it seems. If we are wrong on this assumption tell us what their strengths are to this program
Oh, he absolutely has made a ton of mistakes. No doubt about it. Will I crucify him for them, no? He just had a 21-9 season and a 10 game win streak in the middle of it. He improved from last season. We will never know what MIGHT HAVE BEEN this season. NEVER. I think if STL pulled an upset against Dayton, we had a good a shot as any.

I’d err that first time D1 coaches will make mistakes. Some more than others. Again, folks like to harp on the transfers, I only blame the staff for 3. Too many are looking at it holistically, instead of case-by-case. That’s fine. But it doesn’t make one any more right, than it makes another anymore wrong.

My gripes with Cox is not really using his bench more, or timeout usage, or reeling some guys in when they need to be...but other than that, I don’t think he should be shitcanned. If he doesn’t fill the roster out with quality players before the season begins and we don’t measure up this upcoming season, or the next, I’ll gladly grab a pitchfork. Until then, I’m still encouraged by his growth. My metrics for success clearly greatly differ from the outspoken majority here. Again, that’s fine.

That’s all, that’s it.

I don’t care if anyone chooses to agree or disagree. It’s my personal POV. Take it or leave it.
20 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Tyrese Martin to Transfer

Unread post by Running Ram »

DH wasn't perfect year one, year two, year three, as a matter of fact if we hadn't had turned it around after the fateful Fordham loss year four we wouldn't be talking about any of this now. No NCAA games with what we would consider a stacked team.

Are current roster issues on Coach Cox? yes. Are they the only issues? no.

We have a head coach with less than two full seasons of experience, we were on the bubble, in the field, on the bubble this year and no one can say what would have happened. I'm not getting confused by my admiration of Cox as a person, I understand he has to perform as a coach. I see a coach that was better in year two than he was in year one, in various ways. I believe he will continue to learn and adapt, including overcoming roster management issues. I choose to believe that based on what I've observed from Cox and based on the fact that I am a Rhody fan so I will always hope for program success and Cox continuing to learn and adjust quickly is our best possible path forward.
6 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah it’s really critical that we fill these open ships with people that can play or it’s going to be a long couple of years
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......great post DC......
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

That is a deflection. You can’t sit there and say Cox hasn’t made a bunch of mistakes. I think the number one mistake he made was the assistant coaches. What do they contribute? Sutton and Cox have no connections of any value it seems. If we are wrong on this assumption tell us what their strengths are to this program
Oh, he absolutely has made a ton of mistakes. No doubt about it. Will I crucify him for them, no? He just had a 21-9 season and a 10 game win streak in the middle of it. He improved from last season. We will never know what MIGHT HAVE BEEN this season. NEVER. I think if STL pulled an upset against Dayton, we had a good a shot as any.

I’d err that first time D1 coaches will make mistakes. Some more than others. Again, folks like to harp on the transfers, I only blame the staff for 3. Too many are looking at it holistically, instead of case-by-case. That’s fine. But it doesn’t make one any more right, than it makes another anymore wrong.

My gripes with Cox is not really using his bench more, or timeout usage, or reeling some guys in when they need to be...but other than that, I don’t think he should be shitcanned. If he doesn’t fill the roster out with quality players before the season begins and we don’t measure up this upcoming season, or the next, I’ll gladly grab a pitchfork. Until then, I’m still encouraged by his growth. My metrics for success clearly greatly differ from the outspoken majority here. Again, that’s fine.

That’s all, that’s it.

I don’t care if anyone chooses to agree or disagree. It’s my personal POV. Take it or leave it.
This is a fair take. I want Cox to succeed much more than Hurley, but just wonder if his assistants are helping him in terms of recruiting and building relationships. In todays slimy world of recruiting it seems like you need younger guys to be involved to not only recruit, but to build relationships to keep a better percentage of guys at URI for 3-4 years similar to Cyril and Jeff. It feels like guys like Cyril and Jeff would have stayed 4 years even with an immediate eligibility rule in place to other schools. I obviously have no idea what Sutton and Carroll are doing for him behind the scenes, but it feels like an all hands on deck in todays recruiting world with all the transfers.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That’s all, that’s it.

This is a fair take. I want Cox to succeed much more than Hurley, but just wonder if his assistants are helping him in terms of recruiting and building relationships. In todays slimy world of recruiting it seems like you need younger guys to be involved to not only recruit, but to build relationships to keep a better percentage of guys at URI for 3-4 years similar to Cyril and Jeff. It feels like guys like Cyril and Jeff would have stayed 4 years even with an immediate eligibility rule in place to other schools. I obviously have no idea what Sutton and Carroll are doing for him behind the scenes, but it feels like an all hands on deck in todays recruiting world with all the transfers.
Cox is still handcuffed by the administration here. We were a back to back tourney team that is only willing to pay our staff pennies on the dollar. It’s tough to make quality lemonade with spoiled lemons. That’s the reality of it. Cox has a boatload of relationships with guys across the country, but they aren’t coming to RI for less than $200K.

Remember the restrictions he faced in his first offseason trying to fill out a staff? Again, it’s an unfair strike again him, but it’s a strike.

We want to be taken so serious as school but we’d rather add stadium lights than up the salary pool or upgrade other aesthetics. It’s bullshit.

I’m a glass hall full kind of guy, by default. The bartender has yet to let our cups overfloweth. That’s across board.

The situation we are in sucks. It’s a crappy hand for sure, and blame should be dealt all around, however, I stand firm that we have the right guy for the job, until factually proven otherwise.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You make some good points DC, but you said you only blame the staff for THREE transfers?

That's WAY too many, and you know it.

As others have said along with me, maybe the reason we haven't signed anyone is because kids are wary of what's going on here.

They don't care about the reasons why...they just see the number of transfers, and likely believe what other teams recruiters are telling them...that URI is a dumpster fire and needs to be avoided.

In the case of Wichita State, some of the players have come out and blamed the coaching staff.....is that the case here even though none have mentioned that yet?

Somehow someway this needs to be addressed here....this can't continue any longer or this program will end up going down the tubes.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

That’s all, that’s it.

Cox is still handcuffed by the administration here. We were a back to back tourney team that is only willing to pay our staff pennies on the dollar. It’s tough to make quality lemonade with spoiled lemons. That’s the reality of it. Cox has a boatload of relationships with guys across the country, but they aren’t coming to RI for less than $200K.

Remember the restrictions he faced in his first offseason trying to fill out a staff? Again, it’s an unfair strike again him, but it’s a strike.

We want to be taken so serious as school but we’d rather add stadium lights than up the salary pool or upgrade other aesthetics. It’s bullshit.

I’m a glass hall full kind of guy, by default. The bartender has yet to let our cups overfloweth. That’s across board.

The situation we are in sucks. It’s a crappy hand for sure, and blame should be dealt all around, however, I stand firm that we have the right guy for the job, until factually proven otherwise.
The stadium lights no doubt seem like a terrible investment for 1-2 games a year for a program that not one follows and has been pretty bad for a long, long period of time. This is a different subject for another day. It was also what the money was intended for so not much you can do about it. They went from eliminating the football program 4 years ago to investing heavily in lights.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

If anyone has information about what the assistants did or didn't do that directly resulted in these issues, please let us know. But to just suddenly conclude that the issues are primarily caused by Cox having to hire bad assistants because there's no money for good ones is weak.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The stadium lights no doubt seem like a terrible investment for 1-2 games a year for a program that not one follows and has been pretty bad for a long, long period of time. This is a different subject for another day. It was also what the money was intended for so not much you can do about it. They went from eliminating the football program 4 years ago to investing heavily in lights.
The Stadium Lights and the Artificial Turf were because of donations from Alumni (one named and one who wanted to remain anonymous).

It's not like anyone had a choice to put the money donated for specific purposes towards Basketball Assistant Coach salaries
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Touché. My point is, there is a pot of money to be used, and we are using it PROPERLY. In my humble opinion.

And URI, just one of many reasons. Like I said, blame goes around.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Breakdown by Conference
Not a single Mid Major Program. 13 P5 and 5 NBE

Any guesses where he ends up?
I think UCONN is a good possibility
Most sense would be where he would get the most playing time, which team has the most opportunity for his skill set.
Many great basketball schools here
Opportunities in all of the P5 Conferences

Big East:
Marquette
UConn
Seton Hall
Xavier
Creighton

SEC
Georgia
Mississippi
Auburn
Arkansas

ACC
Virginia Tech
Miami
Louisville

Big10
Nebraska

Big12
Texas
Iowa State
Nebraska

Pac12
Arizona State
Oregon

Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago You make some good points DC, but you said you only blame the staff for THREE transfers?

That's WAY too many, and you know it.

As others have said along with me, maybe the reason we haven't signed anyone is because kids are wary of what's going on here.

They don't care about the reasons why...they just see the number of transfers, and likely believe what other teams recruiters are telling them...that URI is a dumpster fire and needs to be avoided.

In the case of Wichita State, some of the players have come out and blamed the coaching staff.....is that the case here even though none have mentioned that yet?

Somehow someway this needs to be addressed here....this can't continue any longer or this program will end up going down the tubes.
Bone, glad we can be civil.

I really want to dig into this transfer discussion. Give me a minute. I want to hear thoughts.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago The rash of transfers may also have to do with unkept promises higher up. Anyone we started to recruit while Dan was still here was likely sold a bill of goods about ongoing program improvements, which HAVE NOT BEEN DELIVERED. That is a failure of our whole administration, not just the coaching staff. We are ripe for the picking by even marginally better schools which have a huge leg up on practice facilities, athlete amenities, etc.

Good that Tyrese is taking the high road, but would like to hear a leak over what is actually causing the players to transfer. Program-improvements related, poor practices/instruction, personal problems with David, etc.
.......all fair and good points as to wide range of problem areas that in focus here......a tip of the ice berg that has not been mentioned here was the Ryan Preston pop-off last season when he spoke about, something to effect of family being preached but not practiced, his view......it has been mentioned here what I will call the Fatts Factor, in that a Coach is faced with a dilemma of handing the keys to a star player, to win at all costs, at the expense of other players seeing that key holder go through hot/cold streaks.......a talent like Fatts when hot pays huge rewards but the cost when cold is the other players feel not being able to contribute to the team/family......I think this dynamic is real and has been a dilemma for hoop coaches everywhere......successful coaches manage this dilemma, and recruiting / retaining complementary players is a huge challenging.....this probably belongs is transfer issue threads.....have good day....
......I offered this recently.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Except Ryan Preston was worried about his professional career because he was a senior and not getting PT. I think his concern about “family” was that the staff was not worried about what Ryan was doing next year but what the program was doing next year. Tyrese was given the keys to become the star. Jeff, Cyril and Fatts have just outshined him so far.m, but he got the minutes.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

The Stadium Lights and the Artificial Turf were because of donations from Alumni (one named and one who wanted to remain anonymous).

It's not like anyone had a choice to put the money donated for specific purposes towards Basketball Assistant Coach salaries
I get that. Nothing to do with the basketball program. Just seems like a waste of money. It was their money to spend so it is irrelevant.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

That’s all, that’s it.

Great post - spot on.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm not one of those who thinks that a major reason for the transfers was the lack of infrastructure improvements like the practice facility or assistant coach salaries.

They all knew the practice facility among other things wasn't likely to happen while they were here.

Now that could influence future recruiting of course.

Just mostly concerned about whatever the issue or issues are, that they don't continue to affect the program going forward.

Things need to be solved and fast.

Starting with the next few weeks, it's far too important to be left festering any longer.

Of course, if the problem is the staff or someone on it, that's not likely to change much....as they aren't likely going anywhere for a while.

URI doesn't move that fast when it comes to coaching changes, as we all know.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

That’s all, that’s it.

Helloooooooo Thorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr? What say you?
We are quick to blame the Coaches, but really shouldn't most of the blame be on the AD?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would imagine Thorr is spending some quality time on the horn with Cox lately.

I'm sure he and Dooley are wondering what's happening to their basketball program.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Except Ryan Preston was worried about his professional career because he was a senior and not getting PT. I think his concern about “family” was that the staff was not worried about what Ryan was doing next year but what the program was doing next year. Tyrese was given the keys to become the star. Jeff, Cyril and Fatts have just outshined him so far.m, but he got the minutes.
Ryan also had off the court issues, how quickly We forget about his suspension.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

That’s all, that’s it.

Dan Hurley was able to be successful here and he had a worse hand to start from. Cox has been a dumpster fire with a better situation.

By the way, those bullshit stadium lights, outside of $1.1 million that came from the Office of Student Life so regular students could use the facility for intramurals all came from private donations. That wasn't an Athletic department initiative, outside of the fact that football has been looking for that as long as the Ryan Center has been open if not longer.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Except Ryan Preston was worried about his professional career because he was a senior and not getting PT. I think his concern about “family” was that the staff was not worried about what Ryan was doing next year but what the program was doing next year. Tyrese was given the keys to become the star. Jeff, Cyril and Fatts have just outshined him so far.m, but he got the minutes.
Ryan also had off the court issues, how quickly We forget about his suspension.
His suspension was for calling out the coaches for lack of playing time publicly
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I would imagine Thorr is spending some quality time on the horn with Cox lately.

I'm sure he and Dooley are wondering what's happening to their basketball program.
They shouldn’t have to wonder too hard. You get what you pay for.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I would imagine Thorr is spending some quality time on the horn with Cox lately.

They shouldn’t have to wonder too hard. You get what you pay for.
10 player defections in 2 years is not a budget issue.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Any guess where we think Tyrese ends up?

I’ll go with Seton Hall.
0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ASU
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

UConn
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Seton Hall
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I know Dan likes Tyrese’s game, but I can’t see UConn as destination simply bc he has a stud in Bouknight and new recruit Andre Jackson along with Polley coming back that are all wings and seemingly better than Tyrese. Logjam at that position.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

F Martin. Sad. Dont get it.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea I could care less where he goes. Don’t like quitters.
1 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......I think he is between JWU and Salve.......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So are all transfers quitters?
All 1000+ that we can expect to see?

Would be interesting to know Martin’s thoughts on leaving
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Yea I could care less where he goes. Don’t like quitters.
This is such BS. I'll never understand this point of view. Are all the transfers we get quitters to? Or just the ones that leave? Stan Robinson and Kuran Iverson didn't seem like quitters to me. There is a decent chance our roster next year has 3-5 guys on it that transferred or changed schools at some point. Does that mean our roster will be made up of like 30% quitters?
4 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How many transfers were playing more than 30 minutes a game like Tyrese?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I thought Tyrese was smooth which can appear to some as laziness.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

He was our second best rebounder, and third best scorer. Must be a personality conflict behind the scenes.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If you wanna call anyone a quitter who transferred from here, you could call Hammond one but definitely not Tyrese.
2 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I can see it from Tyrese standpoint he must have made a choice that he thinks playing in a P5 is his best chance to the next level. I would rather he have stayed but I am moving on
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

If he has to sit a year (big IF) do you think he gets recruited over before he even sees the floor for his new team?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago How many transfers were playing more than 30 minutes a game like Tyrese?
Bingo. I don’t mean to make it personal to the kid either, but how should a fan feel?
Last edited by Rhodymob05 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
GO RAMS
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Hate to say it but Reese is good enough to start almost anywhere
3 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Now he's just somebody that we used to know.....(Gotye reference)
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

We would have had two legit stars next year. Sad. Glad we got that PF recruit!!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I felt Rhody would have been built around Ty and Jacob for the near future....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Don’t fret people, reinforcements are on the way.

Rese will be missed, no doubt, but I think the voids being filled are way more critical.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago Hate to say it but Reese is good enough to start almost anywhere

Do not agree at all, way too inconsistent, look at his fg percentage and 3 pt fg percentage. Think about this, he did not have a single game that he fouled out of; how many charges did he take this year, how many times did he drive to the left, get near the rim and not be able to get a good shot. How many times did you see him drive to the right and how many times did you see him on a fast break and not ever make a pass. Would you say he had a good basketball instinct.?

Talented yes, a good player, but, certainly not an elite player.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

It is hard for me to believe that a kid commits to leave and he doesn't know where he is going or at the very least has acceptable offers in his pocket.

Of course, if the immediate eligibility rule does not go into effect, then, I am guessing he winds getting a hardship waiver at a school near his home. Is that Phillly?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DC, I wish I could be as sure as you seem to be, that we are about to land some talented recruits.

Until an announcement is made, nothing is 100% certain imo. I guess Berry is still a few days away from making an announcement.

As for the Mitchell twins, if they need to visit...it could be summer before they can.....and are we going to hold 2 positions open for them and not be sure they will like it here and commit? That makes no sense. I could understand leaving one position open, but not two.

I would rather we get a couple of transfers much sooner while they are available.

Also, if we get Berry, do we need Gage?
1 x